Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

RagnarokZ posted:

I guess the new Paradox thing is to set up with developers, who hasn't had the best publishers before.

I look forward to the Mars game, without Kalypso's foul DLC, no-patches gently caress you policies.

Makes sense, lots of good, viable games out there which have been dicked over. Paradox becoming something of an anti-EA could really punt them into the big leagues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Janissary Hop posted:

Can someone tell me how Jon Shafer got a job anywhere let alone at Paradox after ruining the Civilization series

He worked on the expansions to Civ 4, which are widely regarded as being a large factor in what makes that game brilliant, and on Civ 5, which is currently the most played Civ game. I think you might be full of poo poo.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Civ 5 is the most popular because its essentially a smartphone game

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

Civ 5 is the most popular because its essentially a smartphone game

Oh please, that's a load of bull. I don't like a lot of the design decisions in 5, but that's because I think they're frustrating to engage with, not because they're too simplistic or whatever.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Yeah that's really unfair to Shafer, and I say that as someone who thinks Civ V is the worst in the series.

Also a game taking a long time to arrive is not the same thing as ripping off Kickstarter, hope that helps you, Insufferable Twat. :)

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

nessin posted:

Some people actually like the new Civilization games.

Some people like like a lot of things! Good for them.

Gort posted:

He worked on the expansions to Civ 4, which are widely regarded as being a large factor in what makes that game brilliant, and on Civ 5, which is currently the most played Civ game. I think you might be full of poo poo.

Widely regarded by who? Video game reviewers? People who play on chieftain and build every building and every wonder in every city? Because Shaffer was only lead on BtS and here's a shocker: BtS was so bad as to almost ruin Civ 4 by itself with terrible ideas like espionage, "colonization," the useless blimp unit the AI loves to spam, the useless protective trait, and the useless corporations system. BtS was a sign of things to come, just introduce whatever you see in kitchen sink user mods without any thought of how to actually implement it well or integrate it with existing systems.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Oh please, that's a load of bull. I don't like a lot of the design decisions in 5, but that's because I think they're frustrating to engage with, not because they're too simplistic or whatever.

It's physically impossible to lose a game of either Civ 5 or 6 (aka Civ 5.5) because the AI is completely incapable of working with 1upt and hexes. I mean I guess you could still lose if, somehow, you let an AI do nothing but tech to a passive victory, but you'd have to have something wrong with your brain.

Maybe in Civ 7 they'll spend more money on AI than artists!

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

Yeah that's really unfair to Shafer, and I say that as someone who thinks Civ V is the worst in the series.

Also a game taking a long time to arrive is not the same thing as ripping off Kickstarter, hope that helps you, Insufferable Twat. :)

How many people who funded in 2013 do you think would have done so if they knew there would be no release in sight in May 2017? For a game with an original release date of "not some time after May 2017 idk when time to start a new job in Sweden." Seems like they got ripped off to me.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

civ 5

more like poo poo 5

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Stairmaster posted:

civ 5

more like poo poo 5

Good poo poo 5, yes

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
civ 5 is bad

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I stopped playing civilization after I started playing Paradox games to be honest.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
5 is the one that's just Revolutions on steroids, right?

Kainser posted:

I stopped playing civilzation after I started playing Paradox games to be honest.
:same:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kainser posted:

I stopped playing civilization after I started playing Paradox games to be honest.

Agreed. Four is still the best one.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
[extremely actually voice]: while Civ 4 did do a lot to improve ICS problems, suicide siege units were very unverisimilitudinous, and for that reason Civ 3 is the best one of the series.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The only thing Civ III did better was the throneroom/palace.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MazelTovCocktail posted:

5 is the one that's just Revolutions on steroids, right?

No, it's nothing like Revolutions.

Janissary Hop posted:

Widely regarded by who? Video game reviewers? People who play on chieftain and build every building and every wonder in every city? Because Shaffer was only lead on BtS and here's a shocker: BtS was so bad as to almost ruin Civ 4 by itself with terrible ideas like espionage, "colonization," the useless blimp unit the AI loves to spam, the useless protective trait, and the useless corporations system. BtS was a sign of things to come, just introduce whatever you see in kitchen sink user mods without any thought of how to actually implement it well or integrate it with existing systems.

Almost every single Civ IV fan I've seen insists that BtS is the best thing to happen to it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

call to power was better anyway

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Kavak posted:

The only thing Civ III did better was the throneroom/palace.

+ era-specific leader portraits (Caveman Lincoln) and OST bangers. Lol though if you love Civ 4 and hate Civ 5. All Civ games are 99 percent the same game.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

At The Gates is vapourware and Jon Shafer ripped me off

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJiHDmyhE1A

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
SMAC was the best civilisation bar none.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

SMAC was the best civilisation bar none.

SMAC still had the awful city-level unit support mechanics and an AI that didn't know how to use Supply Crawlers

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
ITT we talk about Civilization games.

I'm just glad Paradox is making strategy games

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

gradenko_2000 posted:

SMAC still had the awful city-level unit support mechanics and an AI that didn't know how to use Supply Crawlers

And yet.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
FreeCiv is the best in the series

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I played Civ 2 so much back in high school that one day I uninstalled it and broke the CD in half because I was going to fail all of my exams if I didn't throw that game out of my life and that's the best Civ has ever been.

Alpha Centauri is the best 4X though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Stellaris should have been a single-planet ideology/personality-driven colonization simulator

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Stellaris should have been a single-planet ideology/personality-driven colonization simulator

It should have been a 19th century industrialization/colonization simulator.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

it should have been ck2 in space

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

is should have been empire of the fading sun with the serial numbers filed off

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Glass of Milk posted:

ITT we talk about Civilization games.

I'm just glad Paradox is making strategy games

Truthfully I think a lot of people here transition from Civ to Paradox. The biggest point of contention is what game did it for you. I mean I know there totally different, but man Paradox scratched a historical itch in a way that Civ never could, and I just could never find myself going back afterwards for any long period of time.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

they should have paid the distant worlds people to make a game instead of making a bad copy of it themselves

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

they should have paid the distant worlds people to make a game instead of making a bad copy of it themselves

arent those guys making a sequel? sounds like a good pickup for pdoxes publishing branch.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't either so it's fair.

Seriously i've played that game since the 1999 demo came out and never figured out supply crawlers.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Building every secret project in the game in one turn was really fun

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Another year without Victoria III, massive riots are breaking out all over Europe as nerds have had enough

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Thanks for making me check up on At the Gates, thread. Turns out they have another album coming in 2018!

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

The KR panel was great, half the "history of KR" presentation was about modder drama and every fight for control since 2006. They barely talked about any development milestones except for when they moved to a new game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Agean90 posted:

arent those guys making a sequel? sounds like a good pickup for pdoxes publishing branch.

Stellaris 2 looking good