Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Deceitful Penguin posted:

In that case I vote to end voting and going back to absolutism please for quicker updates

Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Hasn't the update schedule always been roughly once a week and we're still doing exactly that?

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
It's more the hassle of wading through hundreds of low content voting posts every update.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
It's fun to have a say and role play a bit. If that's not your thing there are plenty of LPs that are more straightforward.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Smoky Bandana posted:

It's more the hassle of wading through hundreds of low content voting posts every update.

I felt the same way when I was reading the Crete LP, and I just made a habit of checking the front page for the links straight to the update.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

In that case I vote to end voting and going back to absolutism please for quicker updates

This is foolish and dangerous thinking! The current sultan is a capable ruler well suited for governing, but there may come a time when that is not the case and a would-be tyrant ends up on the throne. If that happens, you'll regret having signed away all your powers and it'll be the oubliette faction for all of us!

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Snipee posted:

I felt the same way when I was reading the Crete LP, and I just made a habit of checking the front page for the links straight to the update.

You could always only read the posts by Hashim if you hate parliamentary stuff that much.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Voting is fine since it will be infrequent and only sets the broad strokes of policy. You can always skip it if you don't like it.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

WilliamAnderson posted:

You could always only read the posts by Hashim if you hate parliamentary stuff that much.

I personally don't mind. I dreaded it early on, but I was won over by an Onion inspired political cartoon and the nice surprise that my proposal to guarantee Muslim Sicily actually passed.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Oh by the way, could we get a screenshot of the estates map-mode? I'm curious as to who owns which provinces.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Smoky Bandana posted:

I'm also not looking forward to the inevitable "in-character bigotry" that ends up happening.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Bring back Unitas and get it over with already, imo

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I'm also not looking forward to the inevitable "in-character bigotry" that ends up happening.

You're right, we should all roleplay our medieval characters embroiled in religious/ethnic conflict as 21st century gender studies professors at Berkeley

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Thread is going places.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

You see, when I say that we're being betrayed by Globalist (((Merchants))) it's okay because I'm just being 'ironic'

loving DON'T!

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 14, 2017

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Flavius Belisarius posted:

You're right, we should all roleplay our medieval characters embroiled in religious/ethnic conflict as 21st century gender studies professors at Berkeley

Unironically agree.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
No joking around while we colonize the Americas and Africa and fight a literal holy war, guys

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

WilliamAnderson posted:

I, too, greatly enjoy having my browser clogged to the gill with 40 posts, most of which containing updates full of images

You can use the OP, but I suppose if Hashim didn't like this they wouldn'ta done it, so whaevs

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

lol how often has that happened

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Scrolling through posts you don't want to read isn't actually very hard. Take it from me, a guy who has often been ambivalent about jumping into the audience participation of these LPs and often just skipped reading it for some of them.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

lol how often has that happened

*Looks pointedly at literally every single Paradox LP with audience participation that I can remember*

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Flavius Belisarius posted:

No joking around while we colonize the Americas and Africa and fight a literal holy war, guys

Well, you see, jokes are supposed to be funny.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
You know, I don't mind the occasional votes on big turning points and stuff? But yeah, something like 40 or 50 posts that amount to "BUILD MOSQUES" or "WAGE WAR ON SOMEONE" for every actual LP'er post... is a bit much. :v: I'd maybe just cut down the regularity of the audience participation, myself, rather than completely scrapping it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Here we see those who would never survive Crete.

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015

PurpleXVI posted:

You know, I don't mind the occasional votes on big turning points and stuff? But yeah, something like 40 or 50 posts that amount to "BUILD MOSQUES" or "WAGE WAR ON SOMEONE" for every actual LP'er post... is a bit much. :v: I'd maybe just cut down the regularity of the audience participation, myself, rather than completely scrapping it.

Agreed.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I will say that there are not that many things for the Ulema to do. It's mostly build mosques or raise development, and if we ever get into power it will be a mad dash to convert provinces with our votes. Breaking ties with the celts felt like the only appropriate role play thing to propose this time, even if it wasn't the best game choice ( British Islanders never help me in wars when I play so breaking alliance with this is something I don't mind proposing). I do however have some stupid llama weird religious ideas for the future.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Rodyle posted:

Here we see those who would never survive Crete.

As a Crete veteran and one of the top posters on that thread, I will never, ever do something like that again.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Patter Song posted:

As a Crete veteran and one of the top posters on that thread, I will never, ever do something like that again.

I joined when everyone else seemed to be getting burned out, but I still had fun.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Crete was fun as hell, haters gonna hate.

I like the audience participation, but if it's unpopular, we could try shorter sessions (12 hours maybe?) first.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 14, 2017

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I know, we could make the actual participation seem moderate and cool in comparison to the dozens of complaint-posts about it.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
I have been a bit busy lately, which is why the sessions have dragged on a bit, but I will be limiting them to 12 hours soon.

As for why I decided to have more audience interaction, it's simply because the LP wouldn't have been as fun without it. Unlike CK2, which can stand just fine on it's own two legs, EU4 is a game about blobbing. They've added in some other stuff, like estates, but at it's core it'll always be a game about blobbing and expansion in every direction. Some might like to see that, but it would make the LP incredibly boring to see me conquer the Americas and France and India and anything else I can get my hands on, which is why I figured parliaments were the way to go.

If you don't like all the replies, there's really nothing I can do. Just check the OP every now and then, like others have said, I always update it as soon as I put one up.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I love lobbying! Just keep keeping it fresh Hashim!

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
Can someone post a link to that Crete LP that keeps being mentioned? Tried to find it but couldn't.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I will say that there are not that many things for the Ulema to do. It's mostly build mosques or raise development, and if we ever get into power it will be a mad dash to convert provinces with our votes. Breaking ties with the celts felt like the only appropriate role play thing to propose this time, even if it wasn't the best game choice ( British Islanders never help me in wars when I play so breaking alliance with this is something I don't mind proposing). I do however have some stupid llama weird religious ideas for the future.

There's lots the Ulema can do, across the board. The Milvians and Neo-Milvians in Blood in the Bosphorus managed to swing an entire ecumenical council complete with music. Entering into a voting pact with another faction to see both our aims succeed would be something new as well. The Ulema is a broad church mosque, containing everything from monastic pacifists to fervent Koran-or-the-Sword fanatics. We can parley the breadth of our membership into the widest range of options.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

I might make a post detailing all the stuff you can actually do in EU4, especially for those who haven't played it, because plenty of options (both diplomatic and during war) haven't been considered yet. There's definitely more than just conversions and development though.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Sorry to bring this up again, but I think it might have gotten lost in the debate about voting and participation; would it be possible to get a screenshot of the estates map-mode? I have some ideas for policies I might want to propose next session.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Bot 02 posted:

Sorry to bring this up again, but I think it might have gotten lost in the debate about voting and participation; would it be possible to get a screenshot of the estates map-mode? I have some ideas for policies I might want to propose next session.

Sure, here you go:

Red is the Amirs, yellow the Ulema, and blue the Merchants.

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Hashim posted:

Sure, here you go:

Red is the Amirs, yellow the Ulema, and blue the Merchants.

Thanks. I see that the merchants control none of the centers of trade or river estuaries in the country, so I suggest to my fellow merchants that we should seek to remedy this during the next session as it will allow us to greatly increase the state's trade income, which in turn will help fund our colonial ventures and inevitable wars with France.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Yeah, the Merchant League really ought to be demanding control of Isbiliya and Lixbuna.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Zakrelo posted:

Can someone post a link to that Crete LP that keeps being mentioned? Tried to find it but couldn't.

It requires archives, so if you have that, here you go. Enjoy all 857 pages! Never be on the populists side!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Frionnel posted:

It requires archives, so if you have that, here you go. Enjoy all 857 pages! Never be on the populists side!

ABC: Always Be Communatarian