Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
If you just magdump someone with a pistol you have just about as much chance of killing them as they have of killing you, pending that they have an AR or rifle instead of an SMG or shotgun that dominate the range bracket that pistols are in. A silenced pistol is almost completely quiet, though, so if you have the opportunity to pop someone with that you can generally get the kill for free without revealing your position to everyone on the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Are any of the pistols even worth a spit against someone with a primary weapon? The recoil on all of them are extremely bad for the amount of damage they do.

Look, it doesn't matter because one day you may get to experience the joy I felt, taking five minutes to creep up behind a dude and shoot him in the back of the head from an inch away while he kneeled behind a tree. Pistols are great.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I would like to submit this as potentially the dumbest kill so far

http://plays.tv/video/59179ba6a256fca618/the-dumbest-kill

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Got my second squad win with some friends earlier. The M24 with 8x scope is such an incredibly sexy gun to use. I'd never managed to score one in an actual game before but we managed to ninja two crates that round. Final zones were around the big hill just north of the military base, which is a pretty fun place to fight coming in from the southwest side of the island. Sniping people off the top of neighboring hills felt real good :)

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i feel like if you get the drop on someone with the revolver maybe

We dropped on novo docks a few days ago. My friends got killed right off the bat by a guy with a SCAR and another with a shotgun while I just pick up a P92 and 15 bullets. Guy with the SCAR is up on some scaffolding where he killed my friend. Tagged him in the shin as he was coming down, then ran behind a truck as both started shooting at me. Shotgun dude is in a garage across a gap. He winged me but I managed to spray him down when he peeked around a column. Down to exactly one bullet left and the guy with the SCAR gets to the bottom of the stairs and run's towards his downed teammate. He jumps halfway through the run and I managed to perfectly step out and headshot him with my last bullet mid jump right before he reaches cover.

I died immediately after to another squad in the area that had picked up an SKS while we were fighting, but those were still probably the most satisfying pistol kills I've ever had.

Orv
May 4, 2011

mad.radhu posted:

I would like to submit this as potentially the dumbest kill so far

http://plays.tv/video/59179ba6a256fca618/the-dumbest-kill

That reminds me, some random guy got trapped in a bathroom during the gun rush with one of our group in the house with him, and his answer was to pull the pin on a grenade he found in there and rush our guy. Stylish as hell.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Jimbot posted:

Are any of the pistols even worth a spit against someone with a primary weapon? The recoil on all of them are extremely bad for the amount of damage they do.

I killed 2 people with rifles today when I just had a 1911, but we were doing circles around a shack and I was spraying like a madman.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Back when i was even worse at the game (Didn't know how grenades worked) I primed a molotov to try and flush out a guy hiding under the stairs (I was in the attic).

Molotov exploded in my hand. Said gently caress it, and rushed the guy with a pistol whilst on fire. Think I must have freaked him out because I killed him and lived to fight another battle.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

EVIL Gibson posted:

Please,keep playing 2 channel.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Rookoo posted:

Back when i was even worse at the game (Didn't know how grenades worked) I primed a molotov to try and flush out a guy hiding under the stairs (I was in the attic).

Molotov exploded in my hand. Said gently caress it, and rushed the guy with a pistol whilst on fire. Think I must have freaked him out because I killed him and lived to fight another battle.

loving MLG strat right here folks

douse yourself in fire and scream WITNESS ME while rushing people with pistols

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
I actually have a bit of success picking fights with a silenced pistol. People really have trouble figuring out where you are and the gunshots don't actually draw much attention like unloading a shotgun would.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

mad.radhu posted:

loving MLG strat right here folks

douse yourself in fire and scream WITNESS ME while rushing people with pistols

I had this sort of happen. A guy started shooting at me as I was trying to get into a car. I hid behind and healed and as I came up he threw a Molotov on the ground in front of the car, but then he ran through it and was on fire as I finally took him out with some burst fire.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Bill Barber posted:

how the gently caress you win a game and only kill 2 people lmao

i won a duo game where neither of us got a kill

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

havent played much non-joke Solo, gave it a shot and first thing that happens is my opponent picks up an ump. Shame he died to OnePunchMan aka me :smug:

Naturally the UMP was the only gun i found that managed to find. Oh, and a micro uzi until there were 9 left and i blasted some dude trying to sneak up on me from the bluezone. ran in, stole his SKS (because he apparently only had slightly better luck than me), then remembered why I loving hate the SKS

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Saw a guy running off into the hills and gave chase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgB32jOHH_c

[Extremely Walter White voice] Run.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

funny Star Wars parody posted:

the only gun i found that managed to find.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Yesterday, I managed to get my first chicken dinner and the entire game was Smooth as Silk. Im totally saying this for a reason and not just looking for an excuse to brag.

Today Im rubberbanding like crazy and cant even get through doors or pickup loot without it turning into a gigantic to-do. Is this just server load because its Saturday night?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Intoluene posted:

I actually have a bit of success picking fights with a silenced pistol. People really have trouble figuring out where you are and the gunshots don't actually draw much attention like unloading a shotgun would.

Silenced pistols are surprising effective for banzai charging people since what kind of insane bastard would charge across a field to kill someone from five feet away. Never see it coming

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkZY6i7N4ic

A couple friends and I did some Mad Max poo poo. For some reason Geforce Experience didn't capture the audio. The cars weren't ready to stop fighting when we were.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Bill Barber posted:

how the gently caress you win a game and only kill 2 people lmao

My first solo win I only had one kill. The last dude. Just gotta be patient and sneaky.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Meme Emulator posted:

Yesterday, I managed to get my first chicken dinner and the entire game was Smooth as Silk. Im totally saying this for a reason and not just looking for an excuse to brag.

Today Im rubberbanding like crazy and cant even get through doors or pickup loot without it turning into a gigantic to-do. Is this just server load because its Saturday night?

You and me both. Bought this yesterday, won my first game earlier this afternoon and I'm lagging too badly to play now.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Rookoo posted:

Saw a guy running off into the hills and gave chase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgB32jOHH_c

[Extremely Walter White voice] Run.

The way he lands back on your car is amazing

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

I know this isnt much since it's not really a full game but I bought the game today & grabbed my first win about 3 games in

The game's actually rly hype + tense towards the end, glad my friends recommended it. Is jumping close to the center of the island a good idea if you don't want to be constantly running? Saw like one guy in the first 10 minutes of this match

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ya see

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
gently caress yeah first solo win!

Last guy got stuck under the bridge and died to zone.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

I think he's encouraging you to continue playing with two channel audio and that your opinion on 7.1 channel headphones is wrong and dumb

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

bunky posted:

I think he's encouraging you to continue playing with two channel audio and that your opinion on 7.1 channel headphones is wrong and dumb

He's is correct. All 7.1 simulations are dumb and bad.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
We had some fun times being one with nature:
https://streamable.com/a6qo3

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Why the hell didn't he shoot that guy in the back then go back to nature

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Because he's blown his load early one too many times.

We all have.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

AnElegantPeacock posted:

He's is correct. All 7.1 simulations are dumb and bad.

That's not strictly true, there are some products that do a good job and Binaural Stereo is a real thing that works really well, HOWEVER, PUBG only outputs stereo anyway so at best you can get a fake 7.1 upmix played back through a virtual 7.1 device which is generally only going to degrade the signal quality and make localization more ambiguous.

Games that do positional audio correctly have a good binaural mixing engine that will produce a real spherical 3d audio image, I don't know whether PUBG does binaural audio or not but the simple fact is that it only outputs stereo, this isn't an opinion BTW, you can easily verify it by using a 7.1 device and using a 3rd party channel monitoring tool such as Orban Loudness Meters, you'll see that the game only outputs stereo.

If you guys want to evaluate the difference between 7.1 virtual surround to proper binaural audio in a gaming context just play CS:GO, the in game audio settings allow switching between a proper binaural headphone mix (it is listed as Headphones HRTF) and a 7.1 mix.

I will add that if you're into 7.1 headphones that there are certain software products that do the same job which will allow you to keep using your own headphones rather than buying expensive gaming headsets.

I think about 50% of my posts ITT are about virtual surround, sad.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
why the gently caress does melee exist in this game if its fully random whether or not something connects

revolther
May 27, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

That's not strictly true, there are some products that do a good job and Binaural Stereo is a real thing that works really well, HOWEVER, PUBG only outputs stereo anyway so at best you can get a fake 7.1 upmix played back through a virtual 7.1 device which is generally only going to degrade the signal quality and make localization more ambiguous.

Games that do positional audio correctly have a good binaural mixing engine that will produce a real spherical 3d audio image, I don't know whether PUBG does binaural audio or not but the simple fact is that it only outputs stereo, this isn't an opinion BTW, you can easily verify it by using a 7.1 device and using a 3rd party channel monitoring tool such as Orban Loudness Meters, you'll see that the game only outputs stereo.

If you guys want to evaluate the difference between 7.1 virtual surround to proper binaural audio in a gaming context just play CS:GO, the in game audio settings allow switching between a proper binaural headphone mix (it is listed as Headphones HRTF) and a 7.1 mix.

I will add that if you're into 7.1 headphones that there are certain software products that do the same job which will allow you to keep using your own headphones rather than buying expensive gaming headsets.

I think about 50% of my posts ITT are about virtual surround, sad.
So a decent pair of headphones trying their best to emulate a complicated sound process is going to be worse than a pair of headphones not trying at all. That's what you're saying, and it may be completely anecdotal, but a lot of people are going to disagree.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

revolther posted:

So a decent pair of headphones trying their best to emulate a complicated sound process is going to be worse than a pair of headphones not trying at all. That's what you're saying, and it may be completely anecdotal, but a lot of people are going to disagree.

Audio is one of those areas where a lot of people don't know poo poo, but will convince themselves that various things they try make it better. Even when those things have objectively no impact or even a negative impact.

By the way, if you use a Monster cable for your headphones you'll find it much easier to figure out where gunshots are coming from.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

revolther posted:

I thought I tried to give a more complete and thorough answer than that.

I do not mean to be defensive but it's really not as anecdotal as that, I'll try to break it down a bit:

1. Why I recommend buying stereophonic studio headphones over gaming headsets: they are usually much cheaper while having a more natural and flatter frequency response, I have a pair of Sennheiser HD215s and a pair of ASTRO A50s, the Sennheisers cost less than 100$ while the Astros cost something around 400$ iirc, I know of many professional audio engineers (including this guy who I work with who has multiple grammy awards) who work with HD215s and swear by their audio performance, can't say the same for the Astros or for any gaming headset. Now yes this is an anecdote as people can get used to whatever they work with but I think appealing to the opinions of audio professionals is generally a good practice when it comes to audio equipment.

2. HRTF processing and why it's 100% better for the game to do it: in the context a virtual 3D environment a game engine can position audio sources according to the X,Y,Z coordinates relative to the listener's virtual position and also apply the correct environmental acoustic properties, this simply cannot be done by the headset unless the headset manufacturer provides an API that interacts directly with the game engine*, moreover, applying two HRTF processes on the same signal will noticably degrade the signal and will only serve to make the directionality more ambiguous, this is not an anecdote, that's just the math that goes into the creation of binaural audio signals: you apply a certain set of filters that are supposed to emulate the affects of your own head and pinna over the audio signal based on the direction and distance the emanate from, double processing here is just wrong from a theoretical perspective.

*As far as I know OSSIC X is the only headset that offers game developers an API to work with that allows using 3D coordinates to position game objects in the virtual audio space, I also don't know of any game developer who adopted their standard and what more the product is way beyond schedule and is set to cost 400$.

3. I didn't say virtual surround is useless, I said it's not going to have added value for a game that doesn't even output surround: virtual surround headphones simulate 8 virtual speakers positioned around the user, when there's an actual 7.1 input signal it is fair to argue that playing back the full 8 channels over the virtual speakers will sound good (as it often does) but when you only have two signals the value is limited. Again, this highly depends on whether the game does binaural audio correctly or not, that's why I mentioned CS:GO as it both has options for an HRTF stereo mix as well as a 7.1 mix, you can try both on your headphones and decide for yourself. As for PUBG, I do not know whether the game does HRTF virtualization or not, I tend to think it doesn't as the perception of sound sources coming from the rear in the game does not seem great to me (anecdotal subjective observation, yes). For further example try to listen to the Virtual Barbershop demo on youtube when activating your surround features, tell me if it's better or worse.

4. Why upmix generally sucks: essentially it's a problem of interpolation, you are not going to get increased directional resolution from two channels by spreading them unto 8 channels. When you have a real 7.1 speaker setup it's just nice to sometimes do upmix as it will fill your speakers, in the context of a virtual surround headphones it's well, a bit of a gray area, the only way upmix can work is by either doubling elements or using filters to send certain frequency ranges to the different virtual speakers, think about the latter process from a mathematical POV, it's only going to add directional ambiguity to the signal.

5. Why certain software based virtual surround solutions work just as well as the expensive gaming headphones: they generally do the exact same 'complicated audio process' only they use your CPU instead of a dedicated DSP processor found on the headset and allow you to use high-quality & cheap stereo headphones. I would also add that there's a certain software solution on the market that adds an extra feature to surround virtualization that currently no hardware headset possesses.

And really as I am not sly at all I'll just be up front about this: I am working for a company that makes a surround virtualizer and has also integrated the very same technology into a VR game, if you want to treat this just as anecdotal bullshit be my guest, I don't really care, I just wanted to share from my perspective as to why this isn't just "word vs. word".

And really for anyone not convinced that regular headphones can do virtual surround given a good HRTF process (or recording) just listen to the virtual barbershop demo on youtube, poo poo just works.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 14, 2017

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Verviticus posted:

why the gently caress does melee exist in this game if its fully random whether or not something connects

So you can punch out the first floor windows in the staircase of the big apartment buildings and jump out silently.

E: and whack bullets away with a pan

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Verviticus posted:

Perhaps this game is a work in progress, and things like the wonky netcode really show through in certain in-game actions like the melee combat?

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
So you can beat on your stupid car to death after it runs out of gas or flips over because you hit a traffic cone.

xjohnson
Sep 7, 2006
Johnson?
Young Orc
Got my first chicken dinner w/ saWhix. I just got the game a week ago and I suck.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

bunky posted:

Imagine an infinite array of speakers in a sphere around you. That's what surround sound would ideally be to replicate direction. This isn't feasible for living rooms and it would take up a lot of data on storage media so we compromise by putting 7 speakers for each sound channel around the room with a subwoofer. That's what 7.1 means. Headphones are right up against your ears and can just replicate direction by delivering sound to your ears that replicates the way you hear direction in real life. 7.1 virtualization isn't really necessary at all when you've got software that creates sound dynamically and can deliver it to each each ear in a way that simulates direction. It's really only going to be better in the use case of "watching a Blu-Ray mixed for 7.1 surround sound home theaters on my pc".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Some of the 7.1 headphones have 2-3 smaller drivers in each ear cup, lowering audio quality just for the gimmick. Then you're still stuck with crappy headphones and quad stereo in any game without 5.1/7.1 support.

Actual PUBG Talk: I just got the game and I'm slowly getting better. Running from the blue I killed a guy who got a drop crate, went to take his ghillie suit and saw... then got killed by the blue :smith:

Jigoku San fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 14, 2017

• Locked thread