Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

oddium posted:

i was tired of not having viva pinata so i made my own game. right now you just feed ducks at a randomly generated pond

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KEMmqN1EQs

This will sell really well on the App Store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The French Revolution seems like such a cool setting, though. I wish that there were a good game that used that time period

unity turns the revolution into just another conspiracy thing, except they were afraid to make either side the good guys so both of them are run by the evil templar conspiracy and so the protagonist just sort of generally ignores it for much of the game because he has no interest in the outcome. it's very bizarre.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The French Revolution seems like such a cool setting, though. I wish that there were a good game that used that time period

Let's move it up to the July Revolution and make Barricade Simulator 1830.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So what's GotY 2017 so far

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

duck feeder

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Total Warhams 2 for me probably.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

Yakuza 0

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i havent played a lot of 2017 games. breath of the wild, alwas awakening, hopiko, dead cells, slime-san, that's it so far

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jay Rust posted:

A House of Many Doors

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Jay Rust posted:

super mario brothers 2

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
GotY 2017 will be Hitman Season 2, released by whoever buys IO + the Hitman license :pray:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

this game changed my life

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Jay Rust posted:

Gonna say Hollow Knight because it's the only one my PC can run :v:

(Also because it's great)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Hatsune Miku Project DIVA: Future Tone

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Nier: Automata so far for me.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jay Rust posted:

Persona 5?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Persona: Breath of the Wild Automata 0 is pretty clearly the GotY.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't know, Drawn to Death is definitely in the running

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

i was tired of not having viva pinata so i made my own game. right now you just feed ducks at a randomly generated pond

This is great. You're amazing.

I would like to be a beta tester for your game please.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oddium posted:

Can I date the ducks?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Does GOTY 2017 have to be a game of the same year? Because I'm still playing Furi, and it's still goty

If so, then Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Nier, easily. It just hit all the right spots to stick into the goty spot.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jay Rust posted:

Tales of Berseria

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

poo poo rear end balls guys I bought the wrong Alan Wake package. I wanted the full franchise one with all the extra stuff. The American Nightmare expansion isn't on sale for some reason so I don't want to buy them individually.

What do I do :ohdear:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

GOTY 2017 so far is Horizon Zero Dawn.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Metal Gear Solid V but I'm catching up on a Steam wishlist backlog

MGS V is so good

Bad News Panda
Aug 17, 2010

:gaysper:
Kirby says trans rights!

Mak0rz posted:

poo poo rear end balls guys I bought the wrong Alan Wake package. I wanted the full franchise one with all the extra stuff. The American Nightmare expansion isn't on sale for some reason so I don't want to buy them individually.

You could ask for a refund on it and buy the correct one?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Jay Rust posted:

Torment.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
One of my roommates get Game informer, and they have a "100 best RPGs" article. Hooo-boy. Hilarious

Destiny was 81, and yes, the Bungie Destiny, incase there's a rare Amiga Destiny game I don't careknow about. Also Bastion is on there, which seems like a poor fit for "RPG," but is much more deserving then Destiny.

World of Warcraft was 8th

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is 5th, Mass Effect 2 is 4th, Chrono Trigger is 3rd, with FF6 coming in second, and the number 1 choice: Skyrim. That's not even the best Elder Scrolls.

I know Horizon Zero Dawn and Monster Hunter (Generations) were low on the list (near Destiny). Only Pokemon Red, Blue, gold, and Silver are on the list, none of the more current games. Oddly missing are more recent games, FF15 and Tales of Beseria. While Forum darlings, The World Ends with You and Persona 4 are fairly low as well.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I started Syndicate and just got the train. Characters seem fun and the tone is like 2 and 4

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mak0rz posted:

I thought there was no rights issue with American Nightmare so they weren't discounting it / pulling it from sale.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The sale starts tomorrow the 15th

Edit or is that when they're being removed? I do nyot remember

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bad News Panda posted:

You could ask for a refund on it and buy the correct one?

I was afraid the sale would end and the game would disappear before the refund request was received. Thankfully they have refund categories for double-purchases so I'll just buy the whole package and get the original purchase put back into the ol' wallet.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I thought there was no rights issue with American Nightmare so they weren't discounting it / pulling it from sale.

I guess that explains why it's $11 but everything else is like $3.

CJacobs posted:

The sale starts tomorrow the 15th

Edit or is that when they're being removed? I do nyot remember

The sale is on now and ends in 35 hours when (presumably) the game vanishes forever.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I would barely consider HZD an rpg. Like, yeah, I guess it is because you have a few dialogue choices...

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Is it time for RPG definition discussion again :sigh:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Snak posted:

I would barely consider HZD an rpg.

Well what about like stat growth as opposed to player ability? I consider games where you can overcome a skill cap by just overgrinding numbers to be an RPG more than I consider a game with choices or even a lot of dialogue to be an RPG.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Is it time for RPG definition discussion again :sigh:

buddy my magic tart just kicked in, im ready :420::420::420:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Where are the rpg elements of duck feeder? Oddium, i ask you

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The RPG category in games is the broadest loving category and varies from person to person so trying to pin it down seems a bit pointless

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The White Dragon posted:

Well what about like stat growth as opposed to player ability? I consider games where you can overcome a skill cap by just overgrinding numbers to be an RPG more than I consider a game with choices or even a lot of dialogue to be an RPG.

buddy my magic tart just kicked in, im ready :420::420::420:

Yeah, and HZD isn't really like that. There aren't any stats, weapons can be modified, but are pretty nuch static values, and while there is a skill tree, there aren't really "builds" because you can easily fill it.

It's less of an rpg than Bioshock. Is Bioshock an RPG? I guess people probably consider it one, which, by these criteria, is valid. But again, HZD is much less of an rpg.

I guess people considering "there are quests" as an RPG element. HZD has a wuest structure that feels like Witcher or Skyrim, but because the gameplay is mechanically very different...

I guess what​ I'm really saying is that I'm not offended that HZD is low on a list of RPGs, because, while it's a great game, it's not necissarily a great RPG. Which is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Snak posted:

Yeah, and HZD isn't really like that. There aren't any stats, weapons can be modified, but are pretty nuch static values, and while there is a skill tree, there aren't really "builds" because you can easily fill it.

Oh well there you go, I was really just spitballing on account of not having played it that maybe it had numerical stats etc. I phrased it badly tbh, I shoulda said like "Does it have stat growth?"

• Locked thread