Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Angry Salami posted:

If I'd been doing it, I'd have de-emphasize her powers and just made her the expert on anthropology and culture. There's hints of it here and there, but they never really made her an expert in the same way as Data or Geordi are the engineering experts on the ship.

Yeah. Every other week they have a briefing on the new culture by Data; Troi doing it as their cultural expert would've been great use of character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Data was used in stupid ways too. One minute he's explaining the complexities of some society. The next he's asking the captain what love is.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rick Berman now openly admits that they never figured out how to write for Troi. Which makes sense, because honestly I can't think of an effective way to do it properly. My favorite episode of hers is the one where she gets altered to look like a Romulan.

I've never heard anyone ask Sirtis about the fact that her character gets raped mentally like 10-15 times over the course of the series (plus Nemesis), and what her thoughts about that were.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

FlamingLiberal posted:

My favorite episode of hers is the one where she gets altered to look like a Romulan.

Also the sort of situation where her abilities would be really useful.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Troi would have been perfect for surfacing things from the lower decks; like OK fine Data we could park up near that nebula, roll down the windows and take a good whiff, but the night crews haven't been wiping the lenses properly on their Future Smell-O-Scopes before shift handover, so the department heads are about ready to have mass punch-ups if the revised sensor-access schedules for the next few weeks aren't agreed and signed off and so, frankly, everyone's grumpy and just wants to go to Risa for a few weeks instead of poking around in space garbage

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Cojawfee posted:

Data was used in stupid ways too. One minute he's explaining the complexities of some society. The next he's asking the captain what love is.

I heard it gets worse in later seasons. Is that true?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

vermin posted:

I heard it gets worse in later seasons. Is that true?

Not so much in later seasons but he gradually becomes a drooling moron over the course of the movies.

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Say Hello To My Little Friend
I think it would have been better if Troi didn't develop any abilities as a result of her being a half breed. Would have set up for a nice conflict with other Betazoids, who could have seen her as being inferior.

But alas I doubt TNG would have ever run with something like that.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I'm watching Pathfinder (Voyager) and I know it would totally not have that Star Trek feel, but I would love a Star Trek series where the captain wasn't the main character and the focus was more on good-hearted but less heroic characters. This might explain why my favorite DS9 episodes were generally about O'Brien or the non-military residents of DS9.

Barclay is seriously the best, and his portrayal is simply amazing :allears:

E: also this episode has a good use of Troi!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The Gorn looks like he's wearing one of those hilarious horse head masks

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Hmm...I must've missed the episode with "The Neptunian". :colbert:

Also all the aliens have phasers. Muh canon!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Patrick Stewart was a Romulan?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mister Kingdom posted:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Playmates made toys of EVERYTHING!

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I just watched The Battle (the one where the Ferengi make Picard relive blowing up one of their ships) and it's the first actually good episode so far.

Absolutely, it stands out from that horrible early run due to having such a strong character focus(even if the character development doesn't really tie-in with what is established about Picard later?) and some creative directing choices. It's the first glimmers of potential as to how good the show might be.

Hide & Q on the other hand is set out like it should be an important character episode for Riker, except they hadn't managed to establish what his character actually was at that point, so the dilemma about whether he will abandon his humanity feels completely inconsequential. It could be about Captain Anyguy and the outcome would be the same.

Also that episode had one of the most obviously stagebound "outdoor" sets ever seen on the show, which looks even worse on Blu-Ray. I think I first saw that episode in the early nineties, and even then thinking it looked shabbier than something from TOS.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watched The Big Goodbye (holodeck with detective Dixon Hill) and it was easily the best episode so far. The set and costume design were spot on and the actors were obviously having a good time. I was also genuinely touched and disturbed by the noir-y part at the end where one of the holograms is made self-aware by what happens and he asks Picard "when you leave, will I still be here? Will my wife and kids still be waiting for me?"

Maelstache posted:

Absolutely, it stands out from that horrible early run due to having such a strong character focus(even if the character development doesn't really tie-in with what is established about Picard later?) and some creative directing choices. It's the first glimmers of potential as to how good the show might be.

Hide & Q on the other hand is set out like it should be an important character episode for Riker, except they hadn't managed to establish what his character actually was at that point, so the dilemma about whether he will abandon his humanity feels completely inconsequential. It could be about Captain Anyguy and the outcome would be the same.

Also that episode had one of the most obviously stagebound "outdoor" sets ever seen on the show, which looks even worse on Blu-Ray. I think I first saw that episode in the early nineties, and even then thinking it looked shabbier than something from TOS.

Yeah the alien soundstageness was particularly noticeable.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I was also genuinely touched and disturbed by the noir-y part at the end where one of the holograms is made self-aware by what happens and he asks Picard "when you leave, will I still be here? Will my wife and kids still be waiting for me?"

"Computer, delete the wife and kids." Problem solved, Janeway style.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
How come Data has rights as an AI but the holograms don't.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Jeb! Repetition posted:

How come Data has rights as an AI but the holograms don't.

They touch on this later in the series.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Though the answer is basically "Uh... computer jail? We'll figure it out later."

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Orv posted:

Though the answer is basically "Uh... computer jail? We'll figure it out later."

God I hate that that episode was so good and then the actual resolution and followup episode were so bad.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I like both episodes because the guest actor is really enjoyable to watch, but yeah, it's a real bummer.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Nebakenezzer posted:

The Gorn looks like he's wearing one of those hilarious horse head masks

That Gorn "Neptunian" has some weapons-grade camel toe. gently caress.

Just watched ENT's "Azadi Prime" and "Damage," and I am suddenly reminded of so many episodes of VOY that pissed away so much plot and tension by being so adverse to continuity. I'm genuinely enjoying ENT at this point, even if it isn't ever as good as TNG or DS9 at its best.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
The AI discussion reminds me how weird it would be to be living in a reality where computers spontaneously generate sapient AI. It would be annoying as poo poo.

"Sorry, Railing Kill. I can't fix your work PADD. Looks like that copy of Discord you just downloaded became self aware. It also created two children programs, both housed in your boot files. It would be triple murder to reformat the hard drive now."

"gently caress. That's like the fifth PADD I've gone through this year. My editor is going to be pissed."

Orv
May 4, 2011
"Actually the AI just rewrote your entire article and posted it for you. It's receiving a Nobel and you're fired."

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Stewart with hair is just...wrong.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

My wife got these for me yesterday. They were $5 together at Target.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Has there been any info on what discovery uniforms will look like? I'm curious if they'll be similar to TOS or ENT.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Kingtheninja posted:

Has there been any info on what discovery uniforms will look like? I'm curious if they'll be similar to TOS or ENT.

They'll look like neither because ST:D is gonna die before it's born.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

mycomancy posted:

They'll look like neither because ST:D is gonna die before it's born.

I'm willing to bet we're gonna get a trailer out of the CBS upfront later this week.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Another two down, more opinions:

The Search For Spock - "I'm not sure why they filmed most of this. It may have been a mistake?"

The Voyage Home - "Second best Star Trek film (The Motion Picture is still the best)"

on to The Final Frontier tomorrow, and I'm honestly curious what he'll think of it

extra tidbit: "Wait, I went back to check and Chekov wasn't even in Space Seed"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Watching Chain of Command. Captain Jellico's pretty great, and the scene where he and Riker scream at each is awesome.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Kingtheninja posted:

Might be cool to see modern versions of the uniforms from The Cage or something similar to whatever they wore on the Kelvin.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Well I dug up something from January, near the bottom shows a close up of what looks like the uniform:

http://trekmovie.com/2017/01/31/new-star-trek-discovery-promo-video-reveals-sets-uniforms-ships/

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mossyfisk posted:

Another two down, more opinions:

The Search For Spock - "I'm not sure why they filmed most of this. It may have been a mistake?"

It really is an unspeakably ugly movie, and I don't just mean Nimoy's direction.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kingtheninja posted:

Well I dug up something from January, near the bottom shows a close up of what looks like the uniform:

http://trekmovie.com/2017/01/31/new-star-trek-discovery-promo-video-reveals-sets-uniforms-ships/
Somehow I missed seeing any of this until now (except the captains chair thing which was posted by Jeremy Irons).

Looks like they rounded out some of the sharper edges of the Discovery but overall the design is the same. It looks like a D-7 Klingon battlecruiser with a smaller saucer and Federation warp nacelles attached.

The uniforms look ok though.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Delsaber posted:

Might be cool to see modern versions of the uniforms from The Cage or something similar to whatever they wore on the Kelvin.

macnbc posted:

I'm willing to bet we're gonna get a trailer out of the CBS upfront later this week.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Timby posted:

It really is an unspeakably ugly movie, and I don't just mean Nimoy's direction.

It's the most 80s of the TOS movies, and that includes the one literally set in 1986.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I like the reaction gifs but I'm hopeful about Discovery