Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

super sweet best pal posted:

Is it even possible to rape a machine?

My pencil sharpener doesn't complain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

If Jurassic World 2 gives us rocket launcher dinosaurs I can forgive the mediocrity of the first one.

It would be cool if the next one was a dinosaur war movie. The insane military plan to weaponize dinosaurs was a complete success and now the madmen who ran it are the heroes of the movie.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Mike is the only MRA I give a poo poo about

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

Is it even possible to rape a machine?

As soon as man programs a machine to not enjoy being raped it's possible to rape a machine.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

It would be cool if the next one was a dinosaur war movie. The insane military plan to weaponize dinosaurs was a complete success and now the madmen who ran it are the heroes of the movie.

We can finally get those dinosaur mounts from that Mass Effect 3 fetch quest.

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016

reignofevil posted:

As soon as man programs a machine to not enjoy being raped it's possible to rape a machine.

A man is never going to program that feature.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

reignofevil posted:

The idea of a man raping a furby as it distressingly protests in its fake furby language is not funny

But this is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA106XCO8hQ&t=170s

vermin fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 14, 2017

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016
You can rape a Tickle Me Elmo all day and all it can do is vibrate and giggle with delight.

Obviously designed by a man.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

mng posted:

Mike would hate Jurassic World if he watched it again.

I liked it when I first saw on the big screen because it was loud and bright and I stuffed poo poo in my face. Fallon's alien face pulled me out of the movie, but still, it was enjoyable. Watch it at home and it's just terrible.

edit: watch it sober and it's just terrible
Same except I never rewatched it, it was one of the movies where I came out of the theater all happy because I saw a new Jurassic Park movie, but then over time I realized "Wait that movie was a piece of poo poo!"

Same thing happened with Troy where I was bummed that the Das Boot director took out all the cool mythological poo poo to make a boring "realistic" war epic. I wanted Achilles fighting a river because the river god was mad that Achilles was choking his river with the corpses of Trojans :black101:

reignofevil posted:

Judge Dredd is actually not bad.
The score for the movie was amazing

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Space Taxi posted:

A man is never going to program that feature.

I wish I had your optimism.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

reignofevil posted:

I wish I had your optimism.

Pervert 1: I have successfully programmed the fuckbot to want sex.

Pervert 2: Can you program a fuckbot to... not like sex?

[smash cut to the third act of I, Robot / The Matrix 3 / opening scene of Terminator 2]

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016
Open your legs, GAL.

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ID4:R was a pretty fun movie, far more entertaining than TFA.

If they cut out the Chinese propaganda it would score a extra point. She was so superfluous cutting her out would have had zero negative impact.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't wait until the China pandering gets so bad an American studio makes a big budget Romance of the Three Kingdoms movie. But still only gives one Chinese actor a small role because gently caress hiring Asian actors

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

oohhboy posted:

ID4:R was a pretty fun movie, far more entertaining than TFA.

You're high dude. That movie was an atrocity.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

I can't wait until the China pandering gets so bad an American studio makes a big budget Romance of the Three Kingdoms movie. But still only gives one Chinese actor a small role because gently caress hiring Asian actors

The Martian had the most pandering of any recent movie I've seen.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Y'all see that stuff they shoved into Iron Man 3 for the Chinese market where Iron Man goes to China because their amazing doctors are the only ones who can fix his heart?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

monster on a stick posted:

The Martian had the most pandering of any recent movie I've seen.

Chinese space agency saving America is going to be hard to top.

Can't wait to hear how much ultra-pandering Transformers 5 has in it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

What's funny is I don't think the Chinese market actually cares about representation in movies seeing how that Great Wall movie made by a Chinese person and they cast Matt Damon as the lead. I think a lot of the added stuff is just studios overthinking or complying with those dumb rules the Chinese government has for movies.

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016
It won't be long before the pandering reaches peak level and they release a superhero movie called Chinaman.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
After Rogue One tanked despite two chinese actors in major roles, and the whole prequel trilogy tanked despite the omission of ghosts and the frequent Japanese jokes, hopefully everyone has learned their lesson and won't try to shoehorn Chinese horseshit into Star Wars anymore and it will be the only film franchise without China's dick in its mouth.

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016
One day China's film industry will dominate the global market and cast a token round eye in each of their films to satisfy foreign viewers.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PostNouveau posted:

You're high dude. That movie was an atrocity.

I said I was entertained. This doesn't preclude the lack of technical ability or overall construction. That said TFA has fragrant disregard for time and space that even have the hardcore blanched.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

oohhboy posted:

I said I was entertained. This doesn't preclude the lack of technical ability or overall construction. That said TFA has fragrant disregard for time and space that even have the hardcore blanched.

Yeah I don't care about TFA. ID42 was a war crime, and we need to bring the perpetrators to justice.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A few months back RLM released a vid speculating about 2017 movies and how well they'll do. Too lazy to link it, sorry. Anyway in that video Mike said that this upcoming Transformers movie might be the one that is less successful than the previous ones and which starts the downward trend. Do you all think that will be the case?

The first Transformers movie came out a decade ago. How long can a movie franchise last? The only one I can think of that has lasted for decades is James Bond. But usually these things peter out.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Just remember there's a baby Han Solo movie coming out soon.

ID42 is going to look like The Godfather next to that piece of poo poo.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah I don't care about TFA. ID42 was a war crime, and we need to bring the perpetrators to justice.

Outer space aliens aren't covered under the Geneva Convention.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Space Taxi posted:

One day China's film industry will dominate the global market and cast a token round eye in each of their films to satisfy foreign viewers.

Someone just mentioned The Great Wall which was exactly this. Or Back to 1942 which had American film superstar Adrien Brody (??). Nobody cares most of the times because Americans don't watch foreign language movies.

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

And he will be smuggling A grade, top quality merchandise from an Asian looking trader.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Randarkman posted:

I noticed you didn't mention "The Core". That's a hilarious movie.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, Stanley Tucci is in this film playing Carl Sagan if he was an evil rear end in a top hat.

achillesforever6 posted:

Same thing happened with Troy where I was bummed that the Das Boot director took out all the cool mythological poo poo to make a boring "realistic" war epic. I wanted Achilles fighting a river because the river god was mad that Achilles was choking his river with the corpses of Trojans :black101:

Troy is about half a good movie. Pretty much everything (minus Achilles) with the Greeks is good stuff, while pretty much everything (minus Priam) with the Trojans is sappy crap. Brian Cox as Agamemnon was loving great, he is so good at playing an rear end in a top hat. And the scene where Priam begs Achilles for the return of Hector's body is absolutely perfect.

But the film does have a large share of problems, a lot of which are caused by the soundtrack being loving terrible. I know people rip on Hanz Zimmer for recycling his music, but he has nothing on James Horner. That man made exactly three different riffs, which he repeats in every single one of his movies except for Mask of Zorro. He repeats the goddamn Klingon/Khan tune in every movie, and Troy is no different. The difference between Zimmer and Horner is that Horner was also an egotistical jackass thoroughly self absorbed with his own "genius", to the point where he started slagging off the original composer, Gabriel Yared, because his score didn't test well with focus groups.

Horner should have died in a plane crash a lot earlier than he did.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 14, 2017

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Red Cliff is dece

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Blue Star posted:

A few months back RLM released a vid speculating about 2017 movies and how well they'll do. Too lazy to link it, sorry. Anyway in that video Mike said that this upcoming Transformers movie might be the one that is less successful than the previous ones and which starts the downward trend. Do you all think that will be the case?

The first Transformers movie came out a decade ago. How long can a movie franchise last? The only one I can think of that has lasted for decades is James Bond. But usually these things peter out.

The first fast and the furious movie came out in 2001

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Mr. F! posted:

The first fast and the furious movie came out in 2001

To be fair it was really crappy.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

ID42 is going to look like The Godfather next to that piece of poo poo.

Question for everyone in the thread, how will the following elements be inevitably worked into the movie:

1. Han shot first.

2. Kessel Run, less than 12 parsecs.

3. loving Jedi and force bullshit even though its completely unnecessary but this is Star Wars.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

khwarezm posted:

Question for everyone in the thread, how will the following elements be inevitably worked into the movie:

1. Han shot first.

2. Kessel Run, less than 12 parsecs.

3. loving Jedi and force bullshit even though its completely unnecessary but this is Star Wars.

Han is gonna see some force poo poo and be like 'Wtf" even tho this doesn't make any sense for the plot and actively contradicts things.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Troy is about half a good movie. Pretty much everything (minus Achilles) with the Greeks is good stuff, while pretty much everything (minus Priam) with the Trojans is sappy crap. Brian Cox as Agamemnon was loving great, he is so good at playing an rear end in a top hat. And the scene where Priam begs Achilles for the return of Hector's body is absolutely perfect.
What pisses me off is how much they try to make Paris and the Trojans look like the good guys, that gently caress stole a man's wife and doomed his entire civilization to destruction and slavery and that fucker Paris just gets to leave with Helen in the end while he gives a teenage Aeneas a "sword of Troy" as a in joke to Aeneid? Orlando Bloom was actually perfectly cast as Paris since his character is a pretty boy idiot who fights with a bow like a coward and its dumb they hosed up his duel with Menelaus by having Hector kill Menelaus.

I know its thousands of years old and there is a lot of cultural dissonance now, but honestly the Trojan Cycle is very cinematic and I wouldn't think it would be that hard to get someone to sell a multi movie series about the whole war.

First movie you do all the set up for the events leading to the war and end with the first major battle, 2nd movie is more or less a flashforward to the events of The Iliad, then the last movie you do all the end war stuff and end it with a Animal Housesque montage of all the Greek Kings who got hosed over because Ajax the lesser decided he wanted to rape someone at the Temple of Athena. Then you can do a The Odyssey series.

Give me time and I'll have that screenplay eventually done Hollywood.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Diomedes for life, yo.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

May as well just include the Aeneid in that too then.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A greek classics cinematic universe, with a spinoff franchise based on Geoffrey of Monmouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Trabandiumium posted:

May as well just include the Aeneid in that too then.
I love that is literally Roman fanfiction, thank god Augustus didn't listen to Virgil's dying wishes to destroy it because he couldn't finish it.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Diomedes for life, yo.
Yeah he's basically the first mary sue, guy is like 20 years old, not a demigod, has the most war experience due to fighting in the lost epics of The Seven Against of Thebes cycle, and he has some of the best moments in The Iliad.

• Locked thread