Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Venuz Patrol posted:

the animation on the predecessors reveal was insanely badass

Reminded me of Miyo Sato's paint work on Mob Psycho 100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Waffleman_ posted:

I loved the entire audience going "It's alright, buddy!"

Was this to Todoroki going a little too far or to Sero for losing a little too fast?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It was for Sero's benefit, because there's literally no way Sero could have done anything against that in a fair 1v1 encounter.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I love the way Todoroki apologized. He's a good boy who has some issues.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
in the version of mha where sero is the protagonist instead, he lights his tape on fire using the arena torches and poo poo goes off the hook

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
My Sero Academia.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Venuz Patrol posted:

in the version of mha where sero is the protagonist instead, he lights his tape on fire using the arena torches and poo poo goes off the hook
So how does setting oneself on fire help against a foe who can use fire?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hello? Style points duh.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hunt11 posted:

Well, he's not using his fire powers, so it's a nonissue.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hunt11 posted:

Daddy issues TKO.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Cero is basically Spiderman.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Just caught up, and I'm really really enjoying this arc. It's giving me the same highs that the Chunin Exams did, and that's probably one of my favorite shonen arcs, definitely the peak of Naruto before I think it started going downhill. This show balances its cast better than Naruto did too.

It's a very modern shonen that takes and learns from things that came before it and I like that.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

His mother who had an emotional breakdown is not a horrible person.

yeah sorry that's not an excuse for maiming your child~

Darke GBF fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 14, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't think anyone is saying it is, i think the point is that todoroki's mom, was kind of hosed up, by his dad, and that is why he actively despises her less

horrible physical and mental trauma can kind of gently caress up a person and make them do hosed up things and that doesn't make them as bad as people who choose to do horribly hosed up things just because they're sick, twisted human beings

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 14, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Venuz Patrol posted:

He'd end up being Kratos from God of War.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i don't think anyone is saying it is, i think the point is that todoroki's mom, was kind of hosed up, by his dad, and that is why he actively despises her less

horrible physical and mental trauma can kind of gently caress up a person and make them do hosed up things and that doesn't make them as bad as people who choose to do horribly hosed up things just because they're sick, twisted human beings

they're literally quoting someone who's saying "his mother is not a horrible person," which i think could certainly be argued is not true, given the information in this thread.

"his father is a worse person," on the other hand, certainly sounds like a much less tenable position

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

latest episode was alright. i was sad that mind control kid wasn't given that great a showing. it's also too bad that spiderman got curbstomped like that, but icyhot was eugenics'd into having incredible power, so it makes sense that against a more low-key power he wins pretty handily.

between bakugo, icyhot, mindcontrol, and shadow-jojo, this show sure does love its "this character could be sasuke, but isn't" thing.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
The Shinso fight in motion really highlights how short it is. The Todoroki beat down worked really well with the motion but Deku's fight feels kinda weird and fast.

Next episode is gonna be real good though, this whole section is going to be great to see animated.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Hunt11 posted:

Can't set you on fire if you're already on fire.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Todoroki's mom is definitely not a horrible person

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

I didn't notice the connection.

drat, dem's some crazy eyes.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Wow, the animators' individual styles really shine through on that set.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

The Colonel posted:

Yeah this is fair. I just find maiming and disfiguring a child really disturbing.

Aurora posted:

Todoroki's mom is definitely not a horrible person

What did he mean by this?

Darke GBF fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 14, 2017

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's never outright stated how it happened, and it implies to me (indirectly, by Todoroki's fondness for her) that she did it by accident while frustrated.

I mean, the bottom line is how Todoroki actually feels about it all. If he wholeheartedly forgives her, then that is it, isn't it?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Darke GBF posted:

Yeah this is fair. I just find maiming and disfiguring a child really disturbing.

What did he mean by this?

I think the same thing i meant - it's not that maiming a child is super great (it's decidedly not great), but otherwise decent people can be driven to do terrible things in times of extreme stress.

Think about it, your husband habitually rapes you for years, essentially disowns all of the children that are like you, and then drops you like a sack of garbage after he gets the child he wants.
In that child you see half you, and half him. How would that child's half that literally looks like your husband make you feel? Probably not super great.

There's a bit more in the manga with Todoroki and his mom, but i won't spoil it.

Suffice it to say, i don't think she feels great about herself and what she did. So she's not perfect. She's not even the best mom she could be. But a horrible person who wouldn't feel anything about it, or would feel good about it? That she is not.

That's a lot of writing about a fairly minor character...

E: decided to put things in spoilers.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mordaedil posted:

It's never outright stated how it happened, and it implies to me (indirectly, by Todoroki's fondness for her) that she did it by accident while frustrated.

I mean, the bottom line is how Todoroki actually feels about it all. If he wholeheartedly forgives her, then that is it, isn't it?
I'm kinda tired so I'm not recalling if you're also in the manga thread, but spoilers: No, she specifically throws the boiling water in his face by both Shouto's description and Endeavor's description of the event when she has a mental break on seeing Todoroki peek around a corner with the side of his face that resembles his father's while she was in particularly bad shape (she's on the phone with her mother, talking about how she knows she's coming apart and is starting to hate her children- and that she thinks she's unfit to raise them anymore and is frightened at what she might do).

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

there is a difference between being a good person and being a sympathetic person

you can be sympathetic to a person's plight, and also still say "they have done a terrible thing, and are therefore a terrible person," despite understanding and sympathizing with the reason they did it

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

no darke is right, everyone is either entirely happy happy good times or an absolutely abhorrent human garbage who deserves zero sympathy. Humans are a binary race, after all.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
There's a difference between having done a terrible thing and being a terrible person though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think if a person has done something hosed up that they did not entirely want to do because of horrible trauma, while it does not make them a good person, does not make them a terrible person either. i think that makes them a hurt human being who needs help

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

no it's fine, doign a terrible thign makes you a terrible person also psychological health care is useless we should follow the japanese stnadard of not providing it to the general public

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i don't think being a hurt human being who needs help and being a horrible person are mutually exclusive. in fact, i think the two might go together often.

i think that people should be judged by their actions, and while circumstances might make some actions more sympathetic and understandable, that doesn't make them ok or excused.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's easier to forgive Shouto's mom than to forgive his dad, and she literally permanently scarred him. Just goes to show how loving despicable Endeavor is as a character.

If she's forgivable or not is an individual thing. Japanese face-saving and how forgiveness is handled in general in Japanese culture always kinda broke my brain so eh.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

i don't think being a hurt human being who needs help and being a horrible person are mutually exclusive. in fact, i think the two might go together often.

What even are you saying by this, it looks really awful to say that "being a victim and being a horrible person go hand in hand"

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Trying to determine the Correct Moral Stance toward a made-up person rather than focusing on understanding the motivations and psychology the author is describing seems like a pointless task.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

So I'm gonna say right now that you actually get to see exactly what happened with Todoroki and his mom very explicitly, probably in a couple of episodes, so maybe you all should shut the gently caress up about it until then and not try and poo poo in each others mouths making vast sweeping moral judgements about characters you haven't seen concerning events that haven't been shown

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

So I'm gonna say right now that you actually get to see exactly what happened with Todoroki and his mom very explicitly, probably in a couple of episodes, so maybe you all should shut the gently caress up about it until then and not try and poo poo in each others mouths making vast sweeping moral judgements about characters you haven't seen concerning events that haven't been shown

As an anime-only watcher even I could tell this was going to happen.

But also as a lover of schadenfreude the thread bickering was funny to read as well.

It's like, goddamn never in fictional history before has an author mislead an audience to think one thing about a character before revealing something else that made you see them in a different light

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
So did we confirm this is a 24-ep cour or a split-cour or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It should just be going right through to 2 cour.

• Locked thread