Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Jan posted:

Okay, Mikhaila's is the one I was worried about -- I wasn't sure reading emails from other people's terminals counted.

I guess it's bugged anyway, I got the achievement a few minutes ago and I clearly haven't read all emails. :confuoot:

This isn't a bug, all of the collection achievements trigger before you get everything. You can miss a few of each and still get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Ignimbrite posted:

For the uninitiated:

HONK

Ahahahaaaaa!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The banana peel doesn't knock down people if you run into them though does it? That would be amazing if it did.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Does anyone ever try to justify the sourcing of Typhon goo?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Does anyone ever try to justify the sourcing of Typhon goo?

It's making us billions, what the gently caress other justification do we need?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Apparently if you use a Psi ability that costs the exact same as the Psi you have remaining it won't cost anything. Is that a bug or a feature?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

RatHat posted:

Apparently if you use a Psi ability that costs the exact same as the Psi you have remaining it won't cost anything. Is that a bug or a feature?

Would say that is a pretty clear bug. Probably due to you using a psi needle automatically at zero

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

Just finished the game. Thought the ending was a bit of a letdown, really - after twenty hours of building Morgan up into a Typhon-slaughtering badass, you're basically denied a climax to that progression - no sign of a particularly difficult challenge or bossfight when you hit the end, and the ending decision that you make doesn't really matter much in the final reckoning and isn't really acknowledged by Alex and the bots. There's a line different if depending on if you use the Nullwave or blow up the station, but in the latter case there's no commentary on whether you chose to stay and burn with your Typhon neuromods or escape with them on the shuttle. The final scenes are all about Alex and January fighting to bring you around to their side - it's a bit of a letdown that after you choose it, the game loses interest and doesn't return on the investment in a choice it spent twenty hours pushing on you. But the experience didn't hinge on the ending, so it was fine.

Has anyone tried killing January before she gets the chance to kill December? Is there anything more to the December quest if you do, or is it still just the Shadow Complex style "gently caress this, I'm out" mid-game half-ending?

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
If you kill January, The Who is December quest has a few steps but still concludes with you using Alex's escape pod and getting a lovely ending. The main quest is the same without January guiding you.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
With the Morph power, I can get through broken doors, such as the one to Ilyushin's cabin. But this costs psi and what happens if a player gets stuck in such an area without psi points and no psi hypos? The only exit to Ilyushin's cabin is that broken door, which can only be crossed by morphing into a coffee mug.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Kurzon posted:

With the Morph power, I can get through broken doors, such as the one to Ilyushin's cabin. But this costs psi and what happens if a player gets stuck in such an area without psi points and no psi hypos? The only exit to Ilyushin's cabin is that broken door, which can only be crossed by morphing into a coffee mug.

I'm gonna go with...

"Reload Previous Save"

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Yeah, that's what I figured. I think it's bad game design if there's a place where the player simply becomes stuck and must reload a save to get by. This is not much of a problem in this game thanks to autosaves, but I still think the game should provide for something. Eg, let your psi regenerate up to 10 points or something.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Motherfucker posted:

I did have a laugh at one bit though reading a log in which an engineer tech plugged a mimic pretending to be a resistor rack into a high energy device and it loving melted

Apparently mimics were showing up way before things went to poo poo and barely anyone noticed. Just a couple notes to the effect of 'stop duping dumb poo poo' and 'huh weird two teddies'

Heh, yeah. Another person testing out the recycler charges thought it was weird that it was collecting exotic material from supposedly-metal objects. This station was mimic'ed to HELL before anyone noticed.

I also like all the log entries in Psychotronics where they keep trying to figure out how the hell mimickry works. "Illusions? Molecular reconstruction? Dimensional shift?" One guy says "At this point, I give up. Magic."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kurzon posted:

You could just make a save and try it :shrug:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Kurzon posted:

Yeah, that's what I figured. I think it's bad game design if there's a place where the player simply becomes stuck and must reload a save to get by. This is not much of a problem in this game thanks to autosaves, but I still think the game should provide for something. Eg, let your psi regenerate up to 10 points or something.

So, uh, dude, I was up to 40 psi hypos at this point of the game.

If you manage to enter this room without at least one spare, then I think the onus is on you to not be bad at the game. Designers can only do so much beyond that.

(I wouldn't be surprised if they crammed a hypo in there just in case, though.)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

While the Operators make sense for space operations, since they float and take up a very small amount of space, I wonder if they have other types of robots on earth.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kurzon posted:

Usually doors can be unlocked from the inside so there probably aren't many places you could get stuck.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I almost got stuck in an area, but only because there was nothing small to mimic inside.

But you can drop an inventory item and mimic that.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
*Gains the ability to turn into a cardboard box*
Alex: "Do you feel that, Morgan? That's true power."

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Bolow posted:

is it possible to nerf gun open the security room door in the Talos 1 Lobby? I tried for like 5 minutes and gave the gently caress up on it. I then opened up a door using the same type of button much later on in the game, so I'm curious if I was just loving it up.

The easy way is to smash through the office Looking Glass display then bash through the glass floor in the resulting hallway. You'll drop down into IT Security and there will be a passcard for Security on a table.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I noticed that Operators contain exotic material. I wonder if it's a necessary component of their AI matrices?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

*Gains the ability to turn into a cardboard box*
Alex: "Do you feel that, Morgan? That's true power."

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I almost got stuck in an area, but only because there was nothing small to mimic inside.

But you can drop an inventory item and mimic that.

If you mimic a gun can you shoot? (I wish)

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Unfortunately no. I tried that with the stun gun.
Only a turret or an operator (I think) let's you shoot.

Mimicing a recycler grenade and exploding could have made for some good .gifs :shepicide:

I never tried mimicking any Typhon - Is it only mimics you can copy?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 14, 2017

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Jan posted:

If you manage to enter this room without at least one spare, then I think the onus is on you to not be bad at the game. Designers can only do so much beyond that.
You fail appreciate that this one oversight makes Prey the most terrible game in history and we should make the entire staff at Arkane do the Walk of Shame.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Mimicing a recycler grenade and exploding could have made for some good .gifs :shepicide:

Only if you die from that, making it completely useless.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
In the power plant, you will pass by a sealed door through which you can see three neuromods floating in a depressurized corridor. If you go out for a spacewalk, you can collect these, but if you return to the Power Plant you can still see those three neuromods through the window. The Power Plant and the exterior of Talos I are separate maps, and its seems the game does not remove those neuromods from the Power Plant map after you collect them in the Talos Exterior map.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The developers did say that they catered to all sorts of playstyles including ones that would take months for players to come around to, I would think mimicking into rooms with no psi would be one of those :v:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
It's too bad there isn't a 'Blood Thought' upgrade that lets one draw from their health pool if they're out of psi.

e. Also, WTB an infinite / bigger inventory mod thingy.

e2. VVVVV post a snip of it?

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 14, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

quote:

It's too bad there isn't a 'Blood Thought' upgrade that lets one draw from their health pool if they're out of psi.

I found a chip for that. But it's probably a random drop.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
An even better chipset is the one that lets you recharge psi when standing in coral.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 14, 2017

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

After finishing the game, the reason of coral is clear: store psy energy. Hell, they say it, and the monster that come start eating it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'm starting to think repairing turrets is a waste of spare parts since they explode whenever anything stronger than a mimic passes by. Maybe they'll be worthwhile when I can fortify them?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I never found turrets very useful. I guess if you aren't taking more than 2 or 3 Typhon powers and you really want a Typhon Free Zone you could set up a bunch of fortified turrets but they're still vulnerable to getting knocked over by a single Mimic. It's a lot of investment for not much of a payoff.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I think if you've got ideal placement they can be quite good, but fortifying them didn't stop them being knocked over. That seemed to make fortification not much better to me.

E;fb

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 11:21 on May 14, 2017

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Turrets are a godsend in the early game. They're fragile but they hit hard. Use the GLOO gun or the disruptor gun to immobilize enemies while your turrets shred them.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah turrets can be pretty useful early on. They're pretty useful later too since you can just pile up all the broken ones then toss on a recycler grenade for a fair bit of mineral return.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

This is true. I didn't give the stun gun enough of a fair go. Turrets certainly were good until I started seeing multiple Phantoms in one area.

At that point just shotgunning seemed quicker.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 14, 2017

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
There's a power called Backlash that makes you immune to one to three hits. You could make yourself a meatshield while your turrets kill your enemies. Arkane obviously did not want people lazily using turrets to do all the fighting (like the horses in Skyrim), you're supposed to work with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Do No Harm cheevo talk: Do (captain's choice) blowing up the Advent shuttle or (chef talk)the fake chef's suicide count? The first one definitely should count against it, but I've heard reports that it doesn't. Maybe everyone in the shuttle is dead already. :tinfoil: