Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

All games are RPGs (Roll-Playing Games). You play the role of someone or something.

In Tetris you play the role of the agent that moves the blocks around. Tetris is therefore an RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fahrenheit is a much worse game than I remember and that's saying something.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Sakurazuka posted:

Fahrenheit is a much worse game than I remember and that's saying something.

I don't know a thing about it but sincerely please tell me more about it instead of defining rpgs

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mak0rz posted:

All games are RPGs (Roll-Playing Games). You play the role of someone or something.

In Tetris you play the role of the agent that moves the blocks around. Tetris is therefore an RPG.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Truckpump is wrong. In the Chex Quest game in which you play the role of Chex Man. Ergo a Role-Playing Game

(is that a screenshot from a game Lurdiak?)

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
It's barkley

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

This is why people should learn structuralism, lumper-and-splitter theory, and prototype theory in schools

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Barkley 2, coming 2023.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Horizon Zero Dawn is an action RPG.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm an action RPG in streets, a JRPG in the sheets

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Aww, the PS4 version of Fahrenheit is the cut US one with no corpsicle sex.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I don't know a thing about it but sincerely please tell me more about it instead of defining rpgs

Well, Farenheit is an rpg because you play the role of a prisoner trapped and forced to listen to David Cage's insane ramblings

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh wait not it's not lol

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
HZD is an action game with weak RPG elements. It's about as much of an RPG as MonHun I guess. Great game, but not a "notable RPG." That game informer list sounds ok though Skyrim would rank in the back 50 for me personally.

I say this as my nephew just told me today it was his favorite all time game but he's 15 and it was the first RPG he ever played and got into and he loves other not-boring games. Teenagers with nostalgia, sheesh.

The real question is where they put New Vegas, Fallout 1/2, Xenogears, and Dragonfall on that list. If they're in the back 50, burn it to the ground.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The French Revolution seems like such a cool setting, though. I wish that there were a good game that used that time period
Good news friend, Thermidor 1789: The Beginning is just around the corner.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Palpek posted:

Good news friend, Thermidor 1789: The Beginning is just around the corner.

When I read that post I did think to myself "wasn't that failed lobster game about the French Revolution?"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bloodychill posted:

Teenagers with nostalgia, sheesh.

brah no laugh, when we were in boarding school my buddy got the ~10th anniversary~ ff4 retranslation patch and he was like

"dizz poo poo is now officially classic"

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

The White Dragon posted:

brah no laugh, when we were in boarding school my buddy got the ~10th anniversary~ ff4 retranslation patch and he was like

"dizz poo poo is now officially classic"

Fair enough. I remember going "just like Kain :allears:" when I saw the Dragoon armor at FF11's release, all nostalgic about it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Finished Picross e5 tonight, I'm definitely beating these things quicker than they can make them now.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

bloodychill posted:

HZD is an action game with weak RPG elements. It's about as much of an RPG as MonHun I guess. Great game, but not a "notable RPG." That game informer list sounds ok though Skyrim would rank in the back 50 for me personally.

I haven't played HZD yet, does it have stats you can mess with? Like MonHun has stats on the armor and weapons, and messing with those dramatically changes how you play.

quote:

The real question is where they put New Vegas, Fallout 1/2, Xenogears, and Dragonfall on that list. If they're in the back 50, burn it to the ground.

Not sure If I can post the whole list, due to :filez: rules, but here are a few weird or mentioned ones:
100: Torment: Tides of Numenera
95: The World Ends With You
92: Tactics Ogre: LUCT (Only Tactics Ogre on the list)
91: Bastion
89:Tales of Symphonia (only Tales game on the list)
87: Vagrant Story
84: HZD
83: Xenoblade Chronicles
81: Destiny
80: Odin Sphere (Only Vanilla ware game)
74: MonHun Generations (Only MonHun on the list)
73: Castlevania: SotN (Only Castlevania)
70: Undertale
69: Disgaea: HoD (Only Disgaea game, also none of the other games that are like this, like Phantom Brave or La Pucelle)
66: X-Com
65: Mass Effect
64: Darkest Dungeon
62: Balder Gate
52: ES: Oblivion
49: Xenogears
48: Persona 3
47: Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Only Zelda on the list)
46: Demon's Souls
45: Mass Effect 3
42: Shadowrun (SNES)
41: Xenosaga 1
39: Fallout
38: System Shock 2
36: Fallout: New Vegas
35: Final Fantasy X
30: Persona 4
28: Super Mario RPG
27: Earthbound
25: Kingdom Hearts 2 (only KH game on the list)
24: Dark Souls
21: ES: Morrowind
20: Diablo
19: Persona 5
18: FF7
15: Pokemon R&B
12: Fallout 3
11: Bloodborne
10: FF Tactics
8: Diablo 2
7: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
6: World of Warcraft (poo poo I remembered this one wrong earlier)
5: Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
4: Mass Effect 2
3: Chrono Trigger
2: FF6
1: ES: Skyrim
0: Dungeons & Dragons (the table top Board game, and yes, they added a "0" choice)

Looks like Dragonfall and Fallout 2 were not on the list. None of the Atelier, Wild Arms, Digimon, Neptunia, or Harvest Moon games either. Dragon Age games were on there, but pretty low. Bunch of main line FF games, but none of the side games like World of, the Tactics Advance series, or Crystal Chronicles, FF9 was also missing. Only Gen 1 and 2 of Pokemon were represented, and no Spin offs, like Stadium or the Mystery Dungeon Series. I didn't see any MonHun clones like the Excellent Soul Sacrifice Delta, or others like God Eater or Toukiden. No Nioh, Nier, or TellTale games either.

Weird things include: Diablo 3 is ranked worse then 1, which is ranked worse then 2. Zelda only has BotW listed, which is a good game, but then OoT and LttP aren't even on the list. Considering that, they didn't have a "one per series" rule, as the list has 3 Mass Effects, 2 Dragon Ages, 3 Diablos, 3 Elder Scrolls, 3 Fallouts, and 6 Final Fantasys. Which means the list has 14 "inferior" pre/sequals that were better then the best game of other series.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Skyrim is terrible. New Vegas is lower on that list than F3, garbage list

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

A list of problems with that list would have way more than 100 entries.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That's one of those articles that's designed to rile people up for hot takes and joining the conversation, right? I assume that anyone trying to sell a video game magazine in the year 2017 probably has to do that to survive

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I can't believe they put the wrong numbers in front of games, those bastards are gonna pay.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Feels weird to call Zelda an RPG but not God of War.

E: Or the Arkham series.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 14, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Feels weird to call Zelda an RPG but not God of War.

that's because god of war is a rhythm game, much like hatsune miku's playstation vita panic!!!, but with loving

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Anora posted:

I haven't played HZD yet, does it have stats you can mess with? Like MonHun has stats on the armor and weapons, and messing with those dramatically changes how you play.

There are basically no stats in the game, all the gear you find only has % modifiers. A talent lets you switch out modifiers freely and there are very few tiers of gear in the game.

Horizon is an RPG in the same sense that the Witcher 3 is an RPG, only with even more streamlined systems. It doesn't have much of a connection to the way someone who grew up playing D&D would understand it, but there hasn't been a good catch-all term for the rapidly emerging genre of "you control one dude and have some dialogue choices in third person."

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That's one of those articles that's designed to rile people up for hot takes and joining the conversation, right? I assume that anyone trying to sell a video game magazine in the year 2017 probably has to do that to survive

To be fair, they give it away free for joining up as a pro member to Game Stop, so it's not like they're hurting for Customers. And if Game Stop really wanted to piss people off, they'd put up a "100 best FPS games of all time."

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

exquisite tea posted:

but there hasn't been a good catch-all term for the rapidly emerging genre of "you control one dude and have some dialogue choices in third person."

adventure game? idk

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

exquisite tea posted:

There are basically no stats in the game, all the gear you find only has % modifiers. A talent lets you switch out modifiers freely and there are very few tiers of gear in the game.

Horizon is an RPG in the same sense that the Witcher 3 is an RPG, only with even more streamlined systems. It doesn't have much of a connection to the way someone who grew up playing D&D would understand it, but there hasn't been a good catch-all term for the rapidly emerging genre of "you control one dude and have some dialogue choices in third person."

I kind of think "Adventure" used to be the better slogan for RPG games as we think of them now, RPGs in the SNES/NES area were always the menu driven ones.

It always felt weird that the games where you tried to be and think like Guybrush Threepwood were "Adventure Games," but Squall's ". . ." Adventure was the Role Playing Game.

EFB: Or the dragon can be all concise-like and say what I said in 3 words.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

KOTOR-like.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

The White Dragon posted:

adventure game? idk

Yeah, this has been the go to for games which elude the usual genre criteria.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Jay Rust posted:

So what's GotY 2017 so far

Night in the Woods

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I thought NITW was pretty good but it didn't stick with me in the same ways that other narrative-driven games have. The individual character moments are great but there's a surprising amount of filler for a 7-8 hour game, mostly in the form of the dream sequences and slow platforming. Would have preferred fewer of those sequences and a more compact design for the town. I also wanted the game to be more about Bea, because Bea is awesome.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

exquisite tea posted:

Action Adventure

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Well, Farenheit is an rpg because you play the role of a prisoner trapped and forced to listen to David Cage's insane ramblings

The first third of fahrenheit where you play the murder cover-up simulator with multiple ways of hiding/destroying evidence feels inspired, and I wish more games tried this.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I basically want to play as Lorne Malvo in a less stupid setting than the hitman games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ditty bout my clitty posted:

The first third of fahrenheit where you play the murder cover-up simulator with multiple ways of hiding/destroying evidence feels inspired, and I wish more games tried this.

I remember when they released the first part as a demo and everyone got super excited to play the full game...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Getting caught while trying to sneak out of the diner because you forgot to pay for your food was pretty mind-blowing at the time, somehow. It's a shame all that little intricate stuff is dropped basically immediately after you're introduced to all the characters and then the game goes absolutely batshit at about the halfway point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Good game until it turns out that the main character is Neo from the Matrix.

• Locked thread