Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
https://lparchive.org/Master-of-Orion-2-Redux-(by-nweismuller)/ The Narestan MoO2 LP has now hit the LP Archive. I'll have the next update of this one soon. Good to have another one under my belt. :) This makes my fourth completed LP to be archived, and I'm hoping to produce more into the future.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Hmm. Have you thought about trying out Endless Space 2 when it comes out? Or Endless Legend?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Siegkrow posted:

Hmm. Have you thought about trying out Endless Space 2 when it comes out? Or Endless Legend?

I've poked at both, and have not been captivated thus far. So a good suggestion, just one that hasn't panned out so much for me.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

How about giving the narrative turn to a different kinda game?
jRPGs are always fun when you give a voice to the silent protag.

Edit:
I know it is kinds of weird to give such advice but I got a few writer friends and one of the things they've told me is that writing the same kinda stories over and over sometimes drains the write-juices, and tackling a different kinda beast can recharge them

Siegkrow fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 2, 2017

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Siegkrow posted:

How about giving the narrative turn to a different kinda game?
jRPGs are always fun when you give a voice to the silent protag.

Edit:
I know it is kinds of weird to give such advice but I got a few writer friends and one of the things they've told me is that writing the same kinda stories over and over sometimes drains the write-juices, and tackling a different kinda beast can recharge them

Hmmm. I'll consider something.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

nweismuller posted:

Hmmm. I'll consider something.

Please don't force yourself into doing something because your audience has asked it of you. Do what you want to do, when you want to do it and when you're comfortable doing it. I can tell you from experience that letting your fans guide you can lead to poor results. I abandoned one LP because I was sick of it despite the encouragement of people, and I got talked into doing the whole Exile trilogy - which is only now nearing its end after over four years of work.

LP what you love, and it's obvious that you love MoO in all its forms.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

quote:

LP what you love, and it's obvious that you love MoO in all its forms.

Hard to argue that, given my track record. Who knows how many hours I've sunk into MoO2 over my life?

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
I agree with berryjon's advice(and not just because I love me some MOO). It's worth trying to start something, a few updates on your own without actually posting them, just to see if you enjoy it enough to do the work -- but if you don't I wouldn't force it. There are some types of games I'll never LP just because I know I'd get partway through if I was lucky and then abandon it. Know Thyself, and all that.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Thotimx posted:

I agree with berryjon's advice(and not just because I love me some MOO). It's worth trying to start something, a few updates on your own without actually posting them, just to see if you enjoy it enough to do the work -- but if you don't I wouldn't force it. There are some types of games I'll never LP just because I know I'd get partway through if I was lucky and then abandon it. Know Thyself, and all that.

Well, there were two somewhat abortive attempts at LPs I abandoned for different reasons. Imperialism was fun, but my uncertainty at my basic competence ended up rendering it... less fun to mess with. On the other hand, Sorcerer King was just... not all that fun on a fundamental level.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Was the problem not enjoying the game itself oh not enjoying the process of LPing it?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Siegkrow posted:

Was the problem not enjoying the game itself oh not enjoying the process of LPing it?

Sorcerer King just was not a terribly fun game and trying to extract good narrative from it was difficult for me. Imperialism, by contrast, is fascinating, but although I'm pretty confident at my basic economic management in it, foreign policy and military affairs I fear I may well just be incompetent, and the uncertainty there ended up making it unfun.

E: I've been being lazy, so, in the following post... a teaser.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 2, 2017

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Galactic Stocks and Commodities, 2660

By 2658, the growth of major Human corporations and their permanent links with other civilisations has begun to result in significant presence of Human-run transgalactic corporations across much of the galaxy. Corporate holdings owned by Meklar capitalists have also been growing in the FPQ and the Human Republic, helping cement permanent bonds of commerce and trade. With the growth of galactic-scale commerce and the services of economists working for stock exchanges and major corporations, a fairly accurate estimate of the size of the galactic economy can be drawn- over 22.3 quadrillion credits per year as of 2660. The Human Republic accounts for approximately a quarter of this economic activity, with a total GDP of 5.57 quadrillion credits, even despite slackening volumes of trade with the Meklar Combine under the current conditions of the war with the Darlok Administration. It is anticipated that trade volumes will recover within the next one to two years.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 2, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You can actually buy and sell stuff on a stock market.

Wouldn't you, like, short the shares of people you were trying to conquer? I guess that's not really available in this interface though.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Glazius posted:

You can actually buy and sell stuff on a stock market.

Wouldn't you, like, short the shares of people you were trying to conquer? I guess that's not really available in this interface though.

What you purchase is shares of the 'GMF', 'Galactic Monetary Fund', which is an abstraction of external economic influence. Buying new shares creates them from the ether, selling them retires them, but they can be traded diplomatically. In order to win economically, you need a certain fraction of GGP and of GMF shares for ten years straight- for an eight-nation game, that's 38% for both. (More for fewer nations.) Our GDP isn't large enough yet for an economic victory, but we can now track how close we are. Getting other people's shares requires them being offered in diplomatic deals, which I've definitely seen happen.

E: As you can see, the sell price for GMF shares is pegged to 10% of GGP. I haven't bothered to work out the exact determinant of the buy price.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 09:14 on May 3, 2017

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I find that I am in need of suggested names for the planets Saltator IV (large, radiated, and mineral rich) and Steinbok Prime (small, terran, ultra-poor, low-G, gold). I'll take suggestions now.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

How about Etna for Saltator IV? Active volcano, traditionally the location of Hephaestus's forge, good symbolism for an inhospitable center of industry.

For Steinbok, I'm thinking something South African to go with the naming theme of the star and large gold deposits. I'll report back if I hit on anything I like.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 7, 2017

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

nweismuller posted:

I find that I am in need of suggested names for the planets Saltator IV (large, radiated, and mineral rich) and Steinbok Prime (small, terran, ultra-poor, low-G, gold). I'll take suggestions now.

Crazycryodude posted:

How about Etna for Saltator IV? Active volcano, traditionally the location of Hephaestus's forge, good symbolism for an inhospitable center of industry.

For Steinbok, I'm thinking something South African to go with the naming theme of the star and large gold deposits. I'll report back if I hit on anything I like.

I agree with Crazycryodude in that mining mythology might give you a few ideas for inhospitable planets that will be manufacturing powerhouses. Off the top of my head Gehenna from Jewish/Christian myth or Crematoria from The Chronicles of Riddick might be a good idea and you could possibly turn it into a penal world that becomes the manufacturing base of the Republic. Another idea is keeping the IV and renaming it Fyrine IV after https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enemy_Mine_(film). Make the planet a crucible of partnership between the ursa and humanity.

Steinbok Prime isn't going to become a great planet because of the size but it could be written as an exclusive planet. I'd suggest something like Bekenstein, just like the planet from Mass Effect.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Crazycryodude posted:

Hmmm. How do people think Drakensberg sounds for Steinbok Prime? And maybe Hephaistos for Saltator IV. If people like those names, I'll go with them. I have about half the images for the update named and organised, although I still need to capture screenshots for planet reports- I frequently do that in a different sitting than playing through the update. I'll work on having it up soon.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 8, 2017

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

nweismuller posted:

Hmmm. How do people think Drakensberg sounds for Steinbok Prime? And maybe Hephaistos for Saltator IV. If people like those names, I'll go with them. I have about half the images for the update named and organised, although I still need to capture screenshots for planet reports- I frequently do that in a different sitting than playing through the update. I'll work on having it up soon.

I don't mind at all. Looking forward to the writing though!

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014

nweismuller posted:

I'm more partial to Vulcan than Hephaistos, myself. It's easier to say, shorter to type, and sounds vaguely like the entire planet is a machinegun pointed at our enemies. Which, you know, with all the industry, it could very well be! Stick a shipyard on it or something.

Maluti, likewise, for Drakensberg, but either sounds good to me!

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Stormgear posted:

I'm more partial to Vulcan than Hephaistos, myself. It's easier to say, shorter to type, and sounds vaguely like the entire planet is a machinegun pointed at our enemies. Which, you know, with all the industry, it could very well be! Stick a shipyard on it or something.

Maluti, likewise, for Drakensberg, but either sounds good to me!

Just name the space station that will orbit Hephaistos 'Vulcan'. With Saltator's position in the galactic core, it will probably become a forward operating base for when we have to deal with the arachnid Klackon menace.

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 8, 2017

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Delayed a bit longer than I'd like by insomnia and sleep deprivation once again rearing its ugly head. Needless to say, writing well while sleep deprived is difficult. I'll try and get the update up first half of next week, circumstances permitting.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

nweismuller posted:

Delayed a bit longer than I'd like by insomnia and sleep deprivation once again rearing its ugly head. Needless to say, writing well while sleep deprived is difficult. I'll try and get the update up first half of next week, circumstances permitting.

I feel you on this. Get some rest and we will all still be here.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Dude don't stress out, we are your loving audience, not your bosses, if you aren't feeling the writing come out, take a rest, no need to give us a date.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Siegkrow posted:

Dude don't stress out, we are your loving audience, not your bosses

Are you sure?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Mostly

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

nweismuller posted:

Are you sure?

Gonna need this on my desk by Friday morning, thanks.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Sanity check: didn't we have some guy who was RPing as some kind of Space Donald Trump during the Alpha Centauri LP?

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Siegkrow posted:

Sanity check: didn't we have some guy who was RPing as some kind of Space Donald Trump during the Alpha Centauri LP?

I don't recall one, and it wouldn't have fit the fiction if there was. The Morganites were being run in the "decentralized social control increases freedom and wealth" mode and all the major characters played along with that. There was one guy trying to run a character based on the Ferengi-meets-40k dudes from Warframe but it didn't really go anywhere. (The only reason I remember that at all is because I had been quietly pushing a more subtly sinister take on the same mechanic in my own posts.)

ManxomeBromide fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 14, 2017

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

ManxomeBromide posted:

I don't recall one, and it wouldn't have fit the fiction if there was. The Morganites were being run in the "decentralized social control increases freedom and wealth" mode and all the major characters played along with that. There was one guy trying to run a character based on the Ferengi-meets-40k dudes from Warframe but it didn't really go anywhere. (The only reason I remember that at all is because I had been quietly pushing a more subtly sinister take on the same mechanic in my own posts.)

Subtly sinister take on the same mechanic... are you talking about how you were setting up for Future Societies with Davidson? I think the person he might be thinking of for Space Trump would have been one of the early RSP politicians, who was definitely trying to stir up added fear about the Gaians over the southern border. (To be fair, the Gaians pretty well proved they were indeed a threat before too long.)

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

nweismuller posted:

Subtly sinister take on the same mechanic... are you talking about how you were setting up for Future Societies with Davidson? I think the person he might be thinking of for Space Trump would have been one of the early RSP politicians, who was definitely trying to stir up added fear about the Gaians over the southern border. (To be fair, the Gaians pretty well proved they were indeed a threat before too long.)

Ah could be, I was thinking the "tacky, gilded, openly worshipping Money" version of Fundamentalism. My preferred variant was future-sci-fi social engineering, based on "Secrets of the Human Brain", and wielded by profit-maximizing advertisers disregarding the broader side effects of their compaigns. Meaningless product differentiation means less actual innovation (-SCIENCE) but the resulting arbitrary and artifical cultural cohesion making outsiders stick out more (+PROBE), I think. Those types of characters or even social forces never really appeared in the thread though so it didn't show up much if at all in-character.

E: grammar, clarity

ManxomeBromide fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 14, 2017

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

ManxomeBromide posted:

Ah could be, I was thinking the "tacky, gilded, openly worshipping Money" version of Fundamentalism. My preferred variant was future-sci-fi social engineering, based on "Secrets of the Human Brain", and wielded by profit-maximizing advertisers disregarding the broader side effects of their compaigns. Meaningless product differentiation means less actual innovation (-SCIENCE) but the resulting arbitrary and artifical cultural cohesion making outsiders stick out more (+PROBE), I think. I suspect none of it actually made it into Davidson's in-character work except as undeveloped asides.

E: grammar, clarity

Ahh, I see, I wasn't thinking of the Fundamentalism angle. Yeah, I wasn't really eager to push Fundamentalism, given my overall focus on trying to build for the future in these games. Democratic Politics is what plays nicely with my playstyle in SMAC. But I recall your aside when I floated the question of how to transition out of Frontier Politics, and definitely enjoyed all your contributions.

And I'm still happy with my 'perpetual Golden Age' society I ended up assembling in that game.

E: As regards Fundamentalism in SMAC, I'm of the opinion that they're strongly suggesting that Secrets of the Human Brain provides useful shortcuts for compelling propaganda usable in societies trying to create a monoculture of opinion, thus helping rally support for the Official Line. Now, the interaction of that with the Lord's Believers ends up being odd if you take the outcome as anything but conventionally religious...

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 14, 2017

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

I was talking about that one guy in the early thread that threatened the RSP candidate to introduce his policy changes or he'd come into the race and "split the vote" thus ensuring his own party wouldn't be elected out of spite.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Heading off to catsit for a week, which means update will be delayed a little more. I will try to post something supplemental, however, instead.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Two Foundational Laws of the Republic

Early in the Human Republic's history, before it ever spread to the stars, two laws to clarify fundamental Constitutional protections were written, which have remained foundations of its society these many years hence.

FOR THE REGULARISATION OF TRADE

1. As authorised by the Constitutional guarantee of freedom of trade within the Republic, the following law is put into effect.
2. No tariffs or taxation will be placed by the Human Republic or any of its member states upon import or export of any product from any member state to any other member state.
3. Taxes upon the sale of any item within the Human Republic may only be assessed by the jurisdiction of the location of the vendor.
4. Any item lawful for sale and possession under the laws of a Human Republic member state with jurisdiction over the location of the vendor may lawfully be purchased, possessed, and transported by any citizen of the Human Republic in any jurisdiction subject to Human Republic law.
5. Any item lawful for importation from a foreign nation at its point of entry into the Human Republic is also lawful for transportation and possession by any citizen of the Human Republic in any jurisdiction subject to Human Republic law.
6. Member states may limit use of items lawfully possessed under this law consistent with their own laws, but may not prevent transportation or confiscate from possession save as a lawful penalty of seizure for violation of law, and may not pass any law for the purpose of pretext of obstruction of transportation or of confiscation.
7. No taxes upon the simple possession or transportation of any lawfully possessed item will be placed by the Human Republic or any of its member states. Taxes for license of use or for sale of an item are explicitly permitted by this law.
8. Any law passed by the Human Republic or any member state in contravention of this law shall be prosecuted under the law of 'Abuse under color of authority'.

FOR THE PREVENTION OF SLAVERY

1. As authorised by the Constitutional guarantee against slavery, the following law is put into effect.
2. All Humans (amended: All sapient persons) have lawful possession and property in their own selves, which may not be alienated for any reason.
3. No person or organisation may lawfully demand obedience or servitude from any other person, except under the following cases of exception. Breach of contract may be penalised by civil penalties but may not require specific performance.
4. A person with power of guardianship over a minor child or person lawfully incompetent may lawfully demand obedience of their ward, consistent with laws on guardianship.
5. A person making a lawful arrest may lawfully demand obedience of the arrestee, as may any officer of law enforcement in the chain of custody.
6. A person convicted of a crime by lawful trial may be sentenced to custody or labor for a fixed term, during which they are subject to lawful orders.
7. A person in military service is subject to lawful orders until their discharge from military duty, but may file a resignation at any time during peacetime or may be subject to dishonorable discharge for abandonment of their post. During wartime, abandonment of their post may render them subject to the crime of 'desertion before the enemy'.
8. Emergency services personnel may lawfully demand obedience of those present at the scene of an emergency as necessary to save life.
9. Military conscription or 'drafts' are explicitly forbidden by this law.
10. Violation of this law constitutes the crime of 'enslavement' and may be penalised by criminal penalties up to life imprisonment and any quantity of civil damages due to the injured party.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 27, 2017

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I can also look into writing other supplemental stuff, if people have requests, and certainly wouldn't mind reactions or discussion if people found this interesting.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Yeah sorry I'm no good with technical documents

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

I would like some.more lore about the social repercussions of the Bear anexation.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
The war with the Bulrathi was a decades-long conflict that cost hundreds of millions of lives on both sides, on top of exacting great sacrifices in property and liberty in the course of the conduct of the war. The Human Republic has survived essentially intact, although an unsettling undercurrent of imperialistic sentiment has grown up amongst many of its citizens. Although the war was assuredly a net cost to citizens, many have grown acclimated to a state of war, and desire the 'national glory' of asserting the Republic's dominance on the galactic stage. Many others are deeply war-weary, and the fundamentally pacifistic principles of the Republic's foundation have not been forgotten. Still, this has provided fertile ground for the government to intervene on the Meklar Combine's request against the Darloks, which has led some to express concern about the future of the Republic.

In Bulrathi territory, the war exacted a terrible cost in lives and property, ground combat having been fought largely on Bulrathi worlds. The Bulrathi nobility has been massively depleted, between combat losses, post-war executions, and atrocities by Republic troops inadequetely held in check by the military leadership- by some estimates only one in twenty of the adult males of the Bulrathi noble class have survived the war, with lighter but still significant losses amongst females and children. There were, of course, also losses of life amongst Bulrathi freemen and serfs, but neither suffered significantly from executions or atrocities, instead taking losses almost entirely as direct combat losses or as collateral damage from fighting. Pro-Republican sentiment has grown amongst the freemen and former serfs of the Empire, especially in worlds under long Republican occupation, but many still resent the Human conquest of their worlds.

English, as the governing language of the Republic, has spread amongst many Bulrathi to the extent that, at least on Korga and Kalov, the newest generation of Bulrathi have largely adopted English as a primary language. Religiously, Imperial animism has massively collapsed in support, with the gutting of Imperial religious laws, although Imperial animism continues as a fairly major religion in Bulrathi space. Human religious sects have enjoyed many converts amongst assimilated Bulrathi, most especially the Catholic and Mormon faiths, which have maintained the strongest missionary tradition in the Republic. Furthermore, several minority religion polytheisms previously suppressed in the Bulrathi Empire have undergone resurgent support.

Resistance to Human governance in the subjugated Bulrathi Empire can be broadly split into three factions, the 'Red', the 'Green', and the 'Black', as they are called, with Republican loyalists dubbed the 'Blues' amongst the Bulrathi. The Reds are remaining pro-Imperial movements, largely supported by the remnants of the Bulrathi nobility, although they maintain some support amongst both freemen and conservative former serfs. Reds hope to see the re-establishment of a strong Emperor, the ejection of Humanity, and the restoration of the status quo ante bellum, although freeman and serf segments of this movement tend to favor re-negotiation of the rights and duties of their classes relative to the nobility. Greens, as a whole, are neutral on the question of the Bulrathi Empire, but have rallied behind Imperial animism in the hopes of establishing a strong religious state with the environmental protections characteristic of Imperial animism as a state religion firmly in place. Greens draw heavily both from the former serfs and freemen. Blacks argue that the Empire was the root of the tyranny and misery of the serfs, while the Republic is a corrupt government made to give free reign to dangerous individualism, which doubtless will bring nothing but misery to the serfs it granted freedom. The Black movement thereby has struggled to establish an 'egalitarian' dictatorship with absolute police powers for the benefit of the serfs. The vast bulk of the Black movement is drawn from the serfs, but its leadership is largely drawn from freemen. Republican counterinsurgency activities have worked to suppress all three of the Reds, Greens, and Blacks, while attempting to maintain some control over Blue militia activities.

With the conquest of the Empire, trade with Bulrathi planets has re-opened, although the devastated Bulrathi economies have depressed former trade volumes. Still, by this point, fine Bulrathi liquor has once again started to become more commonly available in Human space- and, in fact the Republic's trade across the galaxy has begun to make Bulrathi-manufactured products available in Mrrshan, Meklar, and Psilon space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
How's that look? Any questions?

• Locked thread