Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

mabels big day posted:

So happy this filler is almost done.

I mean, if you're going to say it's filler 'cos it's not in ONE's original, it's almost definitely going back to Garo vs Watchdogman (He's a dog not a man) so the "filler" surely carries on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
I love how this scene mirrors the Sea King fight. In both scenes, the heroes that were in attendance were wiped out. In both scenes, there was a final holdout that was being ruthlessly beaten down by a sadistic monster. However, the contrast between the two people that were beaten down really highlights the spectrum of characters in this series. On one side, you have a guy that was absolutely nothing who didn't care how bad he was being beaten up, he still got up and went back into the fray. On the other side, you have someone who was an elite fighter, yet in the face of adversity he seeks an escape from the beating. The fact that Saitama uses the same line for both highlights how he doesn't discriminate whether or not you are powerful or weak, brave or cowardly, he would stand up to the monsters you face as a hero.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It's nice how they are keeping with Saitama's characterisation. If you're a human who stands up to a monster/villain whose stronger than you, you are a hero. It doesn't matter how good you do, or how pathetic you may seem at the end of it, Saitma will always respect you for trying.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Seriyu is going to become a hero and then get clowned by sweet mask and remain A-class so we can see how much of a badass sweet mask is

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Sure but is that how the test works?

he would definitely fail the hell out of the written exam

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
That was quite a depressing read. I want to see Suiryu vs Ground. :)

I fully expect next chapter to be 15 pages of Baku and bragging and one page with a punch.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I hope this filler goes on for another year and then ONE decides to completely change everything about the arc that comes after this

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Puri Puri Prisoner is my favorite S class hero.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

mabels big day posted:

So happy this filler is almost done.

not sure what being a OPM Webcomic Hipster accomplishes here

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm also happy we're just about done, not because I care about "filler" but just because I haven't liked this arc at all

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

now it's wrapping up, it'll probably be pretty ok when read as a whole. suffered for being like a year in real time in the making

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 13, 2017

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I didn't hate it, because it still captured the right essence of what is Saitama and his mission statement, but I also liked that it plays a bit more loose with his identity at this point.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
I'm getting stressed out guessing how they're going to stretch this out. Will it be a simple one punch that ends this arc?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Eej posted:

not sure what being a OPM Webcomic Hipster accomplishes here

have you considered it was a joke

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
This is a serious thread about a serious comic.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

now it's wrapping up, it'll probably be pretty ok when read as a whole. suffered for being like a year in real time in the making

This arc kind of suffers from constantly jumping between fights. Like the Metal Bat centipede fight or the Metal Knight centipede fight or the Fubuki dominatrix fight or the fight in which Genos gets wrecked or the fight in which a bunch of random heroes fight an octopus. It all feels a bit unfocused.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Daler Mehndi posted:

This is a serious thread about a serious comic.

Serious thread series : serious continous shitpost

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I liked the tournament for the bits where the people with actual life or death fight understanding had to almost be punched by Saitama, but it got really good with the Suiryu vs the monsters stuff.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Fellis posted:

have you considered it was a joke

how many times can people make a "hmm yase, this Murata Filler is so bad, can't wait till we get back to the good stuff soon" joke before it gets old

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I wasn't super high on the tournament aspect of this arc until the monsters showed up and it was framed about Suiryu learning to respect and admire Heroes. But the part that really sold it to me was that when push came to shove and hope was lost, weaklings like Sneck and Max decided to stand and fight but a guy who was pushed as being strong near the level of Saitama or Tornado ran away instead.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Eej posted:

how many times can people make a "hmm yase, this Murata Filler is so bad, can't wait till we get back to the good stuff soon" joke before it gets old

It wont

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's not a joke either.
It's probably been the weakest part of Murata's manga version and it's also not filler considering everything is written by ONE so that's actually wrong on every level. I don't know why people have issues with people saying something in something they both like might not actually be great. The My Hero Aca fandom is pretty awful for that, for example.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Every fandom has that issue

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

fandom has that issue

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

CharlestheHammer posted:

fandom has issue

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's not a joke either.
It's probably been the weakest part of Murata's manga version and it's also not filler considering everything is written by ONE so that's actually wrong on every level. I don't know why people have issues with people saying something in something they both like might not actually be great. The My Hero Aca fandom is pretty awful for that, for example.

its good but not great (i m o) and im bored of it especially knowing that the stuff after is great, because i have already read it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
There are like 4 fictional stories in the history of time that have been improved by randomly adding a tournament arc. This wasn't one of them.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The tournament has been fine, on the whole, which is a step for this series.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

The tournament has been great. We got to see a ton of different heroes fight a bunch of different monsters. This arc had some of the best fights, period. Long haired pretty boy is a great new character as well

The pacing has been agonizing though

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I still don't like Suiryu too much. I like his role in the story and how he kinda shows just how impressive Heroes are when even someone as strong as him runs away and they keep fighting, but like as a character i'm not super into him.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Fartbox posted:

The tournament has been great. We got to see a ton of different heroes fight a bunch of different monsters. This arc had some of the best fights, period. Long haired pretty boy is a great new character as well

The pacing has been agonizing though

I like the tournament itself because it's full of people who don't have plot armour like Snek and Suiryu. Everything involving the monster association has been utterly forgettable, though. On a technical level, the fights have been amazing, but every single monster the heroes have fought just screams "cannon fodder" to me. Even the mind controlling dominatrix who gets away seems utterly generic.

Something I'm slightly confused about is the tournament's purpose in this arc. Wasn't there initially supposed to be some dude in a wolf costume who everyone thought was Garou? Whatever happened to that? Instead we got Suiryu who can kick well.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

And More posted:

Something I'm slightly confused about is the tournament's purpose in this arc. Wasn't there initially supposed to be some dude in a wolf costume who everyone thought was Garou? Whatever happened to that? Instead we got Suiryu who can kick well.

As far as I understand it, the guy in the wolf mask was Garou from the previous tournament, and his using a mask is the reason Saitama got disqualified after his wig came off. The initial purpose of the tournament was for Saitama to experience real martial arts before going after Garou (I think?).

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

As far as I understand it, the guy in the wolf mask was Garou from the previous tournament, and his using a mask is the reason Saitama got disqualified after his wig came off. The initial purpose of the tournament was for Saitama to experience real martial arts before going after Garou (I think?).

Saitama was hoping Garou would show, since the dude had been breaking martial artist faces before his hero hunting thing, and this seemed like a prime place for him to show.

Saitama was also completely unaware that he already kicked Garou's rear end.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Serious thread series : serious continous shitpost
regular consecutive shitposts.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

And More posted:

Something I'm slightly confused about is the tournament's purpose in this arc

Remember this, as it will be useful in the future: The tournament never has a purpose in the arc. Never.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm wondering how the Heroes Association will react to Saitama pretending to be someone else to enter a martial arts tournament.
Would they even care when the country is being overrun with monsters?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Mulva posted:

Remember this, as it will be useful in the future: The tournament never has a purpose in the arc. Never.

Unless the Tournament is the arc, in which case sorry.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Considering a lot of the best stuff to come out of one punch man has been "filler" side chapters like saitama getting picked up by the cops that "never has a purpose", its a dumb complaint.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Artum posted:

Considering a lot of the best stuff to come out of one punch man has been "filler" side chapters like saitama getting picked up by the cops that "never has a purpose", its a dumb complaint.
I think a valid complaint is "this arc is boring". Regardless of if it's filler or written by ONE or whatever.

It also makes sense to call this filler. "Filler" doesn't mean not written by the original author, not canon, etc. Some OP fillers have had Oda involvement or based on cover arcs and other things. The main thing characterizing a filler is that it's inserted between already existing story sections. This means it has no room to incur real change on characters or events that come later, beyond fleshing out existing characters. And this arc suffers pretty obviously from that problem. See: Introducing a new character (Shiryu) with no connection to any existing cast members, just so it can have a vehicle for character growth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

yeah what the hell are they thinking

introducing new characters??? Fleshing characters out? What a bunch of clowns