Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
MERP being completely unsuited to depict Middle-Earth and was more of a vehicle to prime the pump for Rolemaster under a recognizable universe probably had something to do with it, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

Why do you think this was the case?

We actually know why it happened.

The Tolkien estate is focused on preserving Tolkien's legacy and is infamously weary of people using the IP. They're slightly more relaxed about it nowadays but they still (for obvious reasons) stress that all of the stuff not written by JRRT is in no way canon, and just don't acknowledge the existence of that stuff 99% of the time.

By contrast the Star Wars d6 RPG and the later Star Wars video games, books, comics, etc. all came out of Lucasfilm's desire to monetise the Star Wars IP, and the RPG world-building ended up canon because when the secondary stuff really took off, the RPG material already existed and was very detailed, so it got reused by multiple people doing multiple things.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kwyndig posted:

Has there ever been a situation where a property has survived its creator gracefully? It seems like whenever somebody adds to a dead canon it just ends up being terrible.

Star Trek

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Counterpoint: Voyager

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
TNG and DS9 and make me want to agree with you, but Voyager, Enterprise, and most of the films make it a tie.

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

Kwyndig posted:

Has there ever been a situation where a property has survived its creator gracefully? It seems like whenever somebody adds to a dead canon it just ends up being terrible.

Wheel of Time

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

I was gonna say Discworld but from most of what I hear it didn't even make it to Pratchett's death all that gracefully, what with one embuggerance or another.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Dr Cheeto posted:

Counterpoint: Voyager
What an odd typo, never seen Enterprise spelled that way.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Pretty sure you guys just got Blanc'd.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

I was gonna say Discworld but from most of what I hear it didn't even make it to Pratchett's death all that gracefully, what with one embuggerance or another.

Yeah, the cracks started to show at the football themed one and things just kinda got worse. I dunno if it would have been better if he'd stopped before then, but I''m grateful he at least got to do them. :smith:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I actually just finished re-reading Unseen Academicals, and I think it holds together pretty well. I liked pretty much everything except Juliet (she's more a personification of Glenda's issues) and the weird resolution of the game at the end. I still enjoy it, though.

Raising Steam, on the other hand...as much as I hate to use the term in relation to an author I love, Ned really is a total Mary Sue, with Vimes getting pretty up there too. There's some really good ideas in there, like the changes happening to dwarf society and the toxic influence of the "traditionalists", but there's no real story, just a series of scenes. And when you listen to the audiobook version, you realize that a large part of the book is just monologues.

e: I remember seeing someone say once that the editor on Raising Steam was much looser than he'd normally be given that this might have been Terry's last novel, and I have to agree that's the case.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Unseen Academicals was great to me, except that because I have no familiarity with UK football culture none of the references made sense.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Rand Brittain posted:

Unseen Academicals was great to me, except that because I have no familiarity with UK football culture none of the references made sense.

Yeah, Unseen Academicals was still very strong. Not his very best, but good nonetheless. Raising Steam was sadly no good - I couldn't get through it.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Raising Steam tackled dwarf issues as a metaphor for conservative religions/attitudes way better when it was called the Fifth Elephant, and then again when it was called Thud!, so it seemed real weird to tread over that ground again imo.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 13, 2017

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
I haven't got round to "I Shall Wear Midnight" and "The Shepherd's Crown", but I thought Unseen Academicals was pretty great - a loving sendup of UK football culture. I always felt with Raising Steam that yeah, it was way more overt and less nuanced than other works, more monologues, and maybe the writing suffered for it. But hell, dying and with everything that's happened/is happening, can you blame him for being blunt in his last books over what he saw as critical issues?

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Yeah, Raising Steam felt off for me too. I stopped reading it because I knew at the time it could very well be his last and I didn't want to end it on that note. I enjoyed Snuff and Unseen Academicals though. Not as big a fan of I Shall Wear Midnight, but that's partially because Tiffany Aching never quite grew on me as a protagonist, and I preferred Lancre and its witches to her stories.

drat, now I'm feeling all mopey. I miss Pratchett.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I have the last few books, I just haven't been able to read them. Hurts too much to wrap everything up, I guess. :smith:

Serf
May 5, 2011

In the game Prey, there's a minor plot about a tabletop group playing an RPG onboard the space station. I thought it was a pretty fun detail, and then I came across some in-game materials for their made up RPG Fatal Fortress:

there are a few GM notes:

and a few character sheets (I don't have screenshots of them all):

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Hordinbaffle Flagdasterous is a great wizard name.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Is it chill to play HeroQuest solo just using the standard singleplayer "enemies approach and attack on their turns" style gameplay a lot of games use?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Pratchett lost the ability to touch-type to Alzheimer's and ended up dictating his later work to his assistant Rob Wilkins instead, which is probably part of why they come across as monologues. I enjoyed Raising Steam for what it is. :v:

I never got around to reading any of the Aching books past The Wee Free Men though. I probably should.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

They merge CHA and WIS into INT, but they still have STR and CON as separate stats?!

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Sad that future people have no interest in playing sci fi games.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Serf posted:

In the game Prey, there's a minor plot about a tabletop group playing an RPG onboard the space station. I thought it was a pretty fun detail, and then I came across some in-game materials for their made up RPG Fatal Fortress:

World without sunlight, underground fortress, create spells by drawing runes.

That's Arx Fatalis, one of Arkane's previous games.

The icons on the character sheet are even pretty much identical.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Even in the distant future, someone out there will still consider "fantasy RPG with no classes" an exciting innovation

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I can't believe those loving space nerds are playing the worst edition of fatal fortress

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

World without sunlight, underground fortress, create spells by drawing runes.

That's Arx Fatalis, one of Arkane's previous games.

The icons on the character sheet are even pretty much identical.

You forgot the most obvious clue:

They're literally called the same thing, using the same font.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 14, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

They merge CHA and WIS into INT, but they still have STR and CON as separate stats?!
Exactly what I thought :v:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

You forgot the most obvious clue:

They're literally called the same thing, using the same font.

Oh god Arx means fortress. :cripes:

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

"Chestnut brown hair + huge muscles"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oh man, I thought I was the only one beating the "STR and CON should be merged in most old-school games" drum. Thinking about doing it for a game of Silent Legions when I can get around to it.

Kwyndig posted:

Haystack posted:

Lovecraft springs to mind.

Lovecraft is an excellent example but also the exception that proves the rule, because there was never really a Lovecraftian "canon." It was a community of friends who didn't take their own work too seriously, encouraging each other to borrow in ways that hinted at continuity without ever establishing anything for certain. (Lovecraft himself cribbed from Chambers, Dunsany, and Blackwood when it suited him.)

Even then it wasn't entirely graceful--without August Derleth, possibly none of us would ever have read Lovecraft, but Lovecraft fans are super salty at him for writing stories that "clarified" Lovecraft's creations into pantheons of good and evil gods.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 14, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh man, I thought I was the only one beating the "STR and CON should be merged in most old-school games" drum. Thinking about doing it for a game of Silent Legions when I can get around to it.
I've been shaking my fist at this in the 5E thread recently. I wrote up a huge screed a few years ago about why an ability score needs both active and passive/reactive uses, but it got eaten by the archive glitch.

SW:EOTE merges them into Brawn and it is Good.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

I cut my teeth on Microlite20, which cuts down stats to Strength, Dexterity, and Mind, and max HP is equal to the whole Strength score+modifier+hit dice.

and you know there was something that the 3e DMG said the other day about how the only real difference between an ability check and a saving throw is the narrative illusion of an proactive action versus a passive reaction, and that got me thinking about just resolving skill checks with Fort Ref and Will saves.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pretty much whenever I do think about making my own D&D clone (I never will but you know how it is, work is slow sometimes), Fort/Ref/Will as the basic ability scores is right up there on the list. Sometimes they get renamed to something like Strength/Speed/Spirit, sometimes not.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
We owe Derleth a huge debt but he really didn't understand Lovecraft.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I want that shirt

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Pretty much whenever I do think about making my own D&D clone (I never will but you know how it is, work is slow sometimes), Fort/Ref/Will as the basic ability scores is right up there on the list. Sometimes they get renamed to something like Strength/Speed/Spirit, sometimes not.

I've sometimes humored the idea of just ripping off the Zelda games. Power/Wisdom/Courage, with thiefy poo poo getting split between them (it takes Wisdom to properly pick a lock, Courage to lie without your voice shaking or steal something without fumbling it).

As a side note, my old standby for "I need to name this place and can't think of anything" was Fort Refwill. Over many, many years, only a few players realized what I did.

Double edit, because I solved the mystery: So, uh, this is happening

If you have a book on DrivethruRPG, this is fixable, you just need to reupload your cover image. I'm posting this now so everybody else can get a head's up, because it seems to be happening to every book on there and I freaked smooth the gently caress out for a couple of minutes.

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 14, 2017

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Serf posted:

I like that both players had to draw in an "HP" box on their character sheets because the designers forgot to include one. It's exactly the kind of typo you'd find in an off-brand RPG with poor editing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I cut my teeth on Microlite20, which cuts down stats to Strength, Dexterity, and Mind, and max HP is equal to the whole Strength score+modifier+hit dice.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Pretty much whenever I do think about making my own D&D clone (I never will but you know how it is, work is slow sometimes), Fort/Ref/Will as the basic ability scores is right up there on the list.
I should have added that STR and CON should also be combined in 4e. Really, STR only deserves to be its own stat if you're playing Very Oldest School D&D 0e, where the game takes place almost entirely in the dungeon, and Melee To-Hit and Door Opening are vital components of the game. Because that's all STR does.

So now that you mention it, a really common thing in Fantasy Heartbreakers is that they recognize problems with the way AD&D handles character stats, but they can't quite bear to break with tradition. So instead of point-buy, they have really idiosyncratic stat-rolling, and instead of minimizing or eliminating ability scores, they introduce a bunch of new derived values that normalize the effective values and results. Just combining ability scores and saving throws makes more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
That wizard staff is insanely OP. A goddamn 4d6 melee attack? That's quadruple the rogue's dagger.

• Locked thread