Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Toshimo posted:

If I could impart any bit of wisdom to Goons it would be this: Never... EVER... play Sgt. Hammer.

Every time I see a Goon swap to Hammer, I am tempted to drop group and solo queue. They always feed all game and produce nothing. Without fail.

Much as I like Hammer, I think she is showing her age and I don't feel like there are really any good opportunities to pick her. But that being said, I don't know that there's much they could do to fix her problems without making her an entirely different character. Turning yourself immobile but still needing to be near the front is kind of a big issue with inevitable mobility creep, it turns out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

chumbler posted:

Much as I like Hammer, I think she is showing her age and I don't feel like there are really any good opportunities to pick her. But that being said, I don't know that there's much they could do to fix her problems without making her an entirely different character. Turning yourself immobile but still needing to be near the front is kind of a big issue with inevitable mobility creep, it turns out.

She's still real good on certain maps with a comp that protects her. A lot of mages can plink her from outside her range for most of the game, Cassia can just walk up to her, a lot more Deflect/Parry/Block effects. She could use some buffs.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Again, playing with a team of people vs a team of Elite AI isn't a complete waste of time. You learn to be very mobile and aware of coordinated dives because no real person can hit skillshots like AI does. Unfortunately because the computer tends to murderball it's easy to disengage and get merc camps and get a feeling of security during. Also vs AI players tend to think it's fine to just trundle through the jungle to change lanes with little fear of getting jumped.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

tcjimbo posted:

Playing AI games is a colossal waste of time. Just queue as a 5 stack with goons and suck; you'll learn how to play the hero against real humans and get a feel for what works and why.

Yeah, vs ai is fine if you really just wanna try a game where you're just learning ranges or something but otherwise a mistake. You can also just ask over the goon channel if anyone else is just learning a character or okay grouping with you while you learn/get a dude to 5. Only TLV, Medivh or Abathur are likely to be auto-loses anyway, and even then maybe not if your group is good enough or also paired against other folks just learning the ropes.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 14, 2017

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

chumbler posted:

Napalm as part of her base kit (With some tweaked numbers) and siege mode as her d could go a long way to towards making her more viable. Also give her a non-siege damage bonus to heroes and a siege mode penalty to them but bonus to structures (the splash already is a bonus, but something else in the numbers to make Hammer player's realize siege mode isn't for team fights, besides everyone assumes Siege does more damage per unit because they remember the tanks in SC.)
As is she's not worthless, just like you said showing her age since she when she was designed I think Valla and Illidan were the only mobile characters and no one could out-range her.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I'm talking about Hammer in QM, where you never have the right comp.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

tcjimbo posted:

Playing AI games is a colossal waste of time. Just queue as a 5 stack with goons and suck; you'll learn how to play the hero against real humans and get a feel for what works and why.

Except AI games are awesome when you need like 10k xp to get a loot chest and you just want to afk push a lane for 10 minutes to get it.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

tcjimbo posted:

Pfft tell that to my 8-2 placements.

Nevermind the fact that I placed into silver 1 because I have no QM mmr...

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

chumbler posted:

Speaking of Hammer, she totally should have a skin which replaces her with a Lurker or Ravager.

If this game were LoL or DotA 2 we'd be half way to having pajama party skins for every hero. :colbert:

More seriously, there's no real reason for hover siege to not be baseline at this point.

Some of the other changes she should probably have:

Armor in siege mode.

A talent to make sieging faster

Make her spider mines actually do something or give her a different skill. While you're at it, give Raynor an ult that lets him ride his vulture and drop spider mines. :getin:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 14, 2017

Bizarre Echo
Jul 1, 2011

"I am pleased that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."

Captain Oblivious posted:

Alarak is a Sith Lord, Artanis is Obi-Wan, Tassadar is Qui-gon Jinn and Zeratul is Jolee Bindo.

Alarak is hilarious because all he does is piss and moan about everything.

Just catching up with the thread, but man this explains why I like Zeratul so much.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

AttackBacon posted:

Pfft tell that to my 8-2 placements.

Nevermind the fact that I placed into silver 1 because I have no QM mmr...

Nice, glad you finished yours. I still got 4 more. We knocked out a huge stack of games this afternoon before everyone had to go grab dinner.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQpcTLXKUOI

When your team comp somehow pounds the other team in the butt instead.

(We started the round by apologizing to the Lili who filled the 5th slot in our Murky/Abathur/Chogall party, and instead of raging or being lovely, the Lili carried the gently caress out of the team.)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I never even considered using Abathur to clone Cho'Gal, that's actually kind of brilliant.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Kai Tave posted:

I never even considered using Abathur to clone Cho'Gal, that's actually kind of brilliant.

It's actually kind of not, because you don't get any of Gall's abilities.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Shadowlyger posted:

It's actually kind of not, because you don't get any of Gall's abilities.

You still get a really beefy body who melees like a truck.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

SirSamVimes posted:

You still get a really beefy body who melees like a truck.

Given that team it's probably still the right choice, but I wouldn't prioritize Cho almost ever

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kai Tave posted:

it only worked because we lucked out matching up with a team that was so bad they ended down 5 levels with 20 kills to their 2 against a team that only had 4 bodies and one of them was essentially rooted near the core.

tcjimbo
May 15, 2008

This is Jimbo!
Hey-hey, man!
We got this!

Kai Tave posted:

Why aren't you cloning a healer so Cho'gall can go bowling balls deep?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Hammer is fine, just have to realize that hitting E is almost always a bad idea when the enemy team is around.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone have any tips for kicking ads with probius?

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Does anyone have any tips for kicking ads with probius?

grab the uBlock Origin app for your pylon :v:

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Musluk posted:

grab the uBlock Origin app for your pylon :v:

:vince:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Am I just imagining things, or is it a peculiar quirk of the matchmaker that you tend to get mirrors a lot in QM? Like I'll do six games in a row as another character without seeing a single Li-Ming, but then the second I queue as Li-Ming there's one on the enemy team as well.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

exquisite tea posted:

Am I just imagining things, or is it a peculiar quirk of the matchmaker that you tend to get mirrors a lot in QM? Like I'll do six games in a row as another character without seeing a single Li-Ming, but then the second I queue as Li-Ming there's one on the enemy team as well.

You really notice it in the Abathur mirror matches.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

CJ posted:

You really notice it in the Abathur mirror matches.

These tend to come up a lot because Abathur/Tass/Tyrande/Zarya are in their own matchmaking pool, I think. So whether or not mirror matches are programmed to happen often, if one side has one of them then you're likely to see one of the four on the other.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Caeks posted:

Hot take: Always play with Tcjimbo.

He was asking for chill goons that won't have a strong opinion on poor play.
I play with Jimbo but he's not great company if you want be eased into the game.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

So I initially started playing this game to get the goodies for Overwatch, but it's actually pretty fun. I've been going between Versus AI and Quick Match, which is fine for now since I'm still learning and (hardly) anyone stresses about a bad match or comp. Especially since I've had a few where either our team or theirs decided to throw just to get a match in for the Nexus Challenge.

I still have a number of bad habits I'm trying to get rid of, like getting caught up too far and being demolished by the other team, or going for an objective by my lonesome and getting demolished. Speaking of which, I know we're supposed to go for objectives when they show up, but I suppose if the rest of the team is elsewhere for some reason, it's best to just let the other team take it for now instead of trying to go in solo, right?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

It's deliberate, yeah. Easiest way to make sure the comps are balanced is if the two teams are mirrored exactly, so it tries to do that whenever possible.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BrianBoitano posted:

FYI, someone on reddit made a useful image, if you want to agonize over levels during loading screen.

e: tables

I'm in the low 1,200s and I have two sets of wings on the side of my portrait (like the final purple one), so I don't think that is 100% right unless the wings are for something else.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

I often spend the loading screen trying to figure it out if the other dudes are 100+ or 200+. In theory it's pretty simple, that greenish color is 100 and the teal or whatever the gently caress is 200. But in actuality, at least on my monitor, my eyes often see like four different color variations of green and teal depending on the colors of their profile pictures, so I just give up.
So it's probably all intentional to stop me from thinking about other people's level. They've made it as hard to see as possible.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Kashuno posted:

A 5man giant hero that required different people to control different parts would own

Right on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEc0hITtXvE

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Primetime posted:

Except AI games are awesome when you need like 10k xp to get a loot chest and you just want to afk push a lane for 10 minutes to get it.
AI games are also awesome when you want to go full Charge, Twin Blades Varian and feel like the Grim Reaper come to Earth.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
I'm sure this has been discussed, but I couldn't find anything by searching here. What is the optimal way to get as many heroes as possible in 2.0 without spending money? So far I've thought of two things:
- Use shards for stimpacks to maximize gold
- The gem and gold prices don't follow each other linearly, so use gems to buy 10k heroes, while they are on sale

I've also gotten 2 4k heroes from loot boxes, so I'm assuming you are more likely to get those. So from that, is it optimal to mostly buy 7k heroes for gold? Any other things I haven't thought of?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Just played a game where I picked last and picked kharazim for a second support and got screamed at that having two supports is the worst thing ever by our li ming and even though we ended up winning she was still screaming how bad it was in post game. Whew

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Kashuno posted:

Just played a game where I picked last and picked kharazim for a second support and got screamed at that having two supports is the worst thing ever by our li ming and even though we ended up winning she was still screaming how bad it was in post game. Whew

People seem to get SUPER upset if you don't follow whatever dumb comp they think is the best.

I've actually played on and off since Alpha and I've never seen the playerbase so toxic and lovely.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Kashuno posted:

Counterpoint: A Li Ming complaining about support is probably a dumb idiot.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Is there a good resource for learning when to pick various champions, or a run down of the roles and who is good at what?

I'm trying to learn how to pick tanks better, and figure out who is good to practice. I'm hoping for something a little more in depth than the hotslog win rates.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Ignite Memories posted:

Is there a good resource for learning when to pick various champions, or a run down of the roles and who is good at what?

I'm trying to learn how to pick tanks better, and figure out who is good to practice. I'm hoping for something a little more in depth than the hotslog win rates.

I like this site just because it gives you a guide for each hero.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/articles/heroes-of-the-storm-tier-list

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Kashuno posted:

Lol isn't two Support the meta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Mind over Matter posted:

These tend to come up a lot because Abathur/Tass/Tyrande/Zarya are in their own matchmaking pool, I think. So whether or not mirror matches are programmed to happen often, if one side has one of them then you're likely to see one of the four on the other.

That's not quite true anymore. There might be some other unrevealed layer of matchmaker but some of the rules that used to keep bodies even don't apply or are defered to other rules now. Since 2.0 I've seen far more Zarya or Rexxar is a team's only tank or a murky or aba being added to a team with chogal.
The 'Tyrande and Tass don't count as support' still seems true, and (Varian aside) it won't match 0 warrior against a warrior or 0 support against support.

Sjonkel posted:

I'm sure this has been discussed, but I couldn't find anything by searching here. What is the optimal way to get as many heroes as possible in 2.0 without spending money? So far I've thought of two things:
- Use shards for stimpacks to maximize gold
- The gem and gold prices don't follow each other linearly, so use gems to buy 10k heroes, while they are on sale

I've also gotten 2 4k heroes from loot boxes, so I'm assuming you are more likely to get those. So from that, is it optimal to mostly buy 7k heroes for gold? Any other things I haven't thought of?
Unless the math for stimpacks has changed you never break even buying them in terms of games played vs using money/shards to just buy heroes unless you're playing hundreds of games a month and winning them. Plus keep in mind stimpacks also now drop from chests further devaluing them.
Buy the cheapest heroes with gold because as you said crystal/cash prices don't scale up at the same prices as gold.
Cheaper heroes are more common in boxes because crystal cost sets the rarity of box they're in. Like 10k heroes are only in legendary boxes.