Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

jBrereton posted:

Bible discusso: Wycliffe's bible is secretly the best version y/n

idk the fugees were great but can he really do a whole bible???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Vitamin Me posted:

Digging the book of job / megatron crosstalk here

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
TRUMP: Why is light given to the wretch, and life to them that be in bitterness of soul, which abide death, and it cometh not?

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 14, 2017

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'd like to do a EDM remix of the entire old testament

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
is there an abridged version of the bible

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
[scrunching forehead, attempting to parse actual thoughts w/ memes] s..so god is cucking job's mindset ??

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
i forget where i read it but a professor i studied under at DePaul wrote a 10 page article comparing Tarding Places with the story of job and it was pretty good. wish i could fifnd it

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Kurtofan posted:

its called sunday service

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

http://thebrickbible.com/ Goon-friendly version

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Squizzle posted:

job is about god being so much greater than the world that one person has no hope of understanding what theyd need to do to begin forming a basis to understand gods actions motives etc well enough to start trying to judge them even in isolation on their goodness or justifiability let alone do so in absolute context

but

god still notices, cares about, and interacts directly and personally w the individual

so as far as you can perceive the universe would be indistinguishable from a cold uncaring existence of arbitrary success and suffering, except (w/in the worldview of this book) you have a guarantee that there is care and concern by a god of apparently benevolent inclination for not just the whole creation as a unit but for each person, but you have no way of grasping what that means from that gods perspective

its a super super sophisticated, kinda comforting message thats artfully conveyed and really the narrative only drags a lil bit for a modern reader so check it out, its real good ancient lit

i mean god still conveys that message via giving his most devoted servant turbo aids and murdering his family

old testament god does not gently caress around

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

cumshitter posted:

yeah but its kind of weird that job was set in a biblical setting befor ean afterlife

like god makes it up to job by giving him twice the women, land, animals, and children that he had before. which is weirdly materialistic

job is an insanely old text and the history of afterlife beliefs in Judaism and its pre-Jewish roots is ridiculo convoluted

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
i had family in the church and they used to let us play around in the vault where they kept the goblets for the gross as gently caress sharing of wine if you felt the communion wafer wasnt enough for you

communion wafers come in giant transparent plastic garbage bags. a friend of mine is dating a girl whose dad is an episcopalian minister and next time she sees her dad shes gonna swipe one of the church marketing books they get. like theres an entire industry of people who issue 500 page books selling different scarves and those special table cloths you put on the table with the marty bone in it and goblets and poo poo

now that i think about it it probably reads like a D&D item catalogue. but i kind of hope it reads like the j peterman catalogue

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

punchymcpunch posted:

ya michael philip pence is blowin up social media post horsegate (barndoor?)

Mike Pence is into cock and ball torture?

E: Also why are North Americans starting to say "Ja" (but misspelling it)? I mean it's kinda homely to me as a South African but it seems weird.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

cybertron has been at war for like 8 million years so i have a hard time saying that any of the transformers is like innately evil, theyre all just coping w cosmic scale ptsd on both an individual and cultural level and the entire series is kind of an interplay of coping mechanisms or the failures thereof

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

Back of The Bible though incomplete, is my favorite. just digging through the rear end-end of the old testament and pulling out pure loving insanity

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Lead out in cuffs posted:

almost definitely

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Squizzle posted:

cybertron has been at war for like 8 million years so i have a hard time saying that any of the transformers is like innately evil, theyre all just coping w cosmic scale ptsd on both an individual and cultural level and the entire series is kind of an interplay of coping mechanisms or the failures thereof

afaik the current comics run with that, with the robots returning home after a 8 million year war to find that everyone's kind of moved on and don't give a poo poo about these autobot/decepticon weirdos

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Squizzle posted:

almost definitely

what is his horse into?

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
I guess just Mike pence

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
i was an english major and one time my teacher had us read j peterman catalogue excerpts but with the genders blanked out

so one read, "i was doing the nyt crossword while lounging by my pool and sipping a mimosa" and the teacher calls on me

"cumshitter what gender do you think the speaker is?"

"oh its a broad. with gams"

"why do you say that?"

"well duh she wants a mimosa"

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

jBrereton posted:

TRUMP: Why is light given to the wretch, and life to them that be in bitterness of soul, which abide death, and it cometh not?

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Squizzle posted:

Megaton is a freedom fighter who just didn't figure out how to stop killing.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

E: Also why are North Americans starting to say "Ja" (but misspelling it)? I mean it's kinda homely to me as a South African but it seems weird.

Definitely not a new thing to say ja/ya/yeah in North America

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Baloogan posted:

Definitely not a new thing to say ja/ya/yeah in North America

I never say those words with few exceptions

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Writing or saying it? What geographical location/social group? this is of interest to me.

edit: wait, an affricate (j as in John, etc) or something else?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:11 on May 14, 2017

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
nah

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Also imo it's ya, it's pronounced ya and why the gently caress would u put a j on it

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/Seanbabydotcom/status/862919803945623552

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

im watching the first episode of bates motel (finally lmbo) and i'm about 2/3rds of the way through it and i'm really not sure that i can handle this show lmbo

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

and remember god doesnt actually go ham on job hes sitting there pleased w jobs faithfulness and the satan comes along and says hey, lets stress test that and god lays down restrictions on what that can and cannot entail

god basically tells satan that he cant like go in and just murder job so the only time job is in truly horrible danger is when other people are counseling him dumbly about his relationship w god because if job loses his faith and gods pleasure hes lost the most existentially meaningful thing its possible for him to have

and then god shows up and literally answers jobs unanswerable questions before it can get to that point

job was never working w/o god having his back its just job didnt have the perspective to understand what that would even mean

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Squizzle posted:

job is an insanely old text and the history of afterlife beliefs in Judaism and its pre-Jewish roots is ridiculo convoluted

egyptians were way ahead of the jews in marketing terms even if their whole afterlife thing came down to being all your sins weighed against the Feather of Truth after your slaves dragged you through the Desert of Trials

which reminds me i had a jewish friend fo ra bit and his mother loved me after i gave her a cigarette and said christianity had the one up on judaism because they franchised and turned other cultures gods into saints

i used ot make fun of his girlfirneds, who were enver good enough for his mom, with her and thats why we are no longer friends

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Squizzle posted:

and remember god doesnt actually go ham on job hes sitting there pleased w jobs faithfulness and the satan comes along and says hey, lets stress test that and god lays down restrictions on what that can and cannot entail

god basically tells satan that he cant like go in and just murder job so the only time job is in truly horrible danger is when other people are counseling him dumbly about his relationship w god because if job loses his faith and gods pleasure hes lost the most existentially meaningful thing its possible for him to have

and then god shows up and literally answers jobs unanswerable questions before it can get to that point

job was never working w/o god having his back its just job didnt have the perspective to understand what that would even mean

im not sayin' it's a bad story, just saying that old testament god is still kind of a psycho

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Yinlock posted:

im not sayin' it's a bad story, just saying that old testament god is still kind of a psycho
Gods are usually an accurate representation of how a person would act if given cosmic powers.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

if gods real he hasn't stopped being a loving psycho

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Yinlock posted:

well from my perspective its the jedi who are evil

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i mean you have the times when God protects His devoted worshippers and leads them to peace and prosperity

and then there's also the time he said he would personally search jerusalem by lamplight to make sure every last human was dead

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
what as the science for moses paritng the river

becase i remember reading some really stupid biblical science that was all "well actually" about how maybe moses didnt have super powers but a river could totally part itself and he just happened to be there at the right tiem

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Squizzle posted:

job is about god being so much greater than the world that one person has no hope of understanding what theyd need to do to begin forming a basis to understand gods actions motives etc well enough to start trying to judge them even in isolation on their goodness or justifiability let alone do so in absolute context

but

god still notices, cares about, and interacts directly and personally w the individual

so as far as you can perceive the universe would be indistinguishable from a cold uncaring existence of arbitrary success and suffering, except (w/in the worldview of this book) you have a guarantee that there is care and concern by a god of apparently benevolent inclination for not just the whole creation as a unit but for each person, but you have no way of grasping what that means from that gods perspective

its a super super sophisticated, kinda comforting message thats artfully conveyed and really the narrative only drags a lil bit for a modern reader so check it out, its real good ancient lit

I don't get what's supposed to be so sophisticated about that. I mean yeah "the universe seems uncaring because you're too puny to understand" was sophisticated compared to contemporary belief systems, but nowadays the copout's so cliche it's a common adage ("God works in mysterious ways").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

"here's the thing: I'm God, gently caress you" sums up 80% of the old testament

• Locked thread