Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Hace posted:

ok but it wouldn't add depth, because it would only impact completing a shrine, or not completing a shrine. it wouldn't effect the overworld at all.

having to collect a dildo bat 30 hours into a game so you can do a shrine you found 20 hours earlier and not much else is arbitrary and stupid.

Yeah, I was very happy that there were very few times where you needed something outside a shrine to complete it like the two shrines where they have each others solutions in them but are very close. Made it into a game that I could pick up and play randomly at all times and not have to rack my brain for ages trying to remember where I needed "random item later in the game". Possibly a small part of the reason so many people are putting ~100 hours into it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I dont like shrines in botw because if i replay the game i dont want to do them again to have stamina

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Real hurthling! posted:

I dont like shrines in botw because if i replay the game i dont want to do them again to have stamina

I get this complaint sort of, but how good a game is the first time is far more important than replay value. Some things just can't have as high of a replay value as SMB3/SMW and that's OK.

eonwe posted:

its good

It's really, really good.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Why does the RDS case smell like a chemical spill even after days of airing it out and even spraying it with some Frebreeze? :sigh:

Mister Facetious posted:

Wow, I thought video game writing was bad before, but now...

FF4:TAY's story is far, far worse because as bad as ToS2 is it doesn't get to ruin your childhood like TAY's fanfic-turned-videogame plotline.

I'm not kidding either, FF4:TAY is so bad it actually fucks up other games.

:wtc:

Real hurthling! posted:

As tempted as I am to get the season pass for hard mode (and the master sword trial) I don't think I could go back to not having 3 rings of stamina. At least with health you can just harvest a few (dozen) durians to make some +20 heart food for bosses or w/e early on but making stamina food sucks unless there's a wonderful and easy to harvest location for similar quality stamina ingredients as the durian grove by a convenient warp point.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Embed 2Mb mp4s, not giant rear end 30Mb gif files.

http://i.imgur.com/pAJR00V.mp4

Just change the extension from gif to mp4

quote:

http://i.imgur.com/pAJR00V.gif

to

http://i.imgur.com/pAJR00V.mp4

You don't need to use [IMG] tags around it either. It'll parse it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Excuse me, I think you mean;

:colbert:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kamiko is proving pretty fun!

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Kamiko is like Zelda on speed, it's a great little time waster. I can appreciate how you can tell it's set up to be speed run but it still works as a game us normal people play.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Bloop posted:

I get this complaint sort of, but how good a game is the first time is far more important than replay value. Some things just can't have as high of a replay value as SMB3/SMW

shrines are just lame. Its ok. game has other strengths beyond being littered with lazy puzzles wrapped in loading screens, for instance its physics is excellent.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Shrines actually rule and I can't wait to replay everything in hard mode.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Just lost my first hour to Minecraft. I've probably only played about 20 hours total on PC, all of it single-player and on Peaceful mode. Probably gonna be the same way on Switch, but I see myself playing way more of it when I don't have to sit at a desk to do it.

I just wanna mine stuff and build increasingly larger houses, man.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Ciaphas posted:

I stink at puzzle games.

I can teach you to tetris. Join me, and we will rule as father and son.

Got this today, speaking of.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Excuse me, I think you mean;

:colbert:

RIP Purple Link :(

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
How do people even make combos in PUYO with any reliability, it seems like a crapshoot when I do it.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Deviant posted:

I can teach you to tetris. Join me, and we will rule as father and son.

Got this today, speaking of.

whoa, what mode gets you those ranks? puzzle league online?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like shrines but there's way too many that just reward you. I know getting to it is the challenge but I want more physics puzzles. The combat ones are kinda lame too.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I love this new world we live in. Work conferences have never been this fun.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Louisgod posted:

I bought Binding of Isaac and I'm not sure I 'get' it. Do you just do the same random assortment of dungeons over and over again? Go and beat all the challenges? Try and clear all the daily challenges too?

Isaac does a good job of adding more content before you're quite comfortable with the existing content, but it does a poor job of warning you that the content is coming.

The challenges are fun, but also just try to unlock the extra characters and beat it on Normal mode with the characters you do unlocked.

In the process, some crazy stuff will start to come up. And hopefully you'll go mad with powers you didn't even know you had.

I'm pleased that the depth and difficulty appear to keep going up though I almost wandered away during the doldrums.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Are there any other online games that should be on the Goon List?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Re: shrine chat

gently caress THE HATENO VILLAGE SHRINE TO DEATH IN A MILLION PIECES

The maze is fine, but that nonsense flick you have to do is killing me and being beaten by a shrine is not how I wanted to end my 12 hour day of Zelda. What a nightmare.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

Re: shrine chat

gently caress THE HATENO VILLAGE SHRINE TO DEATH IN A MILLION PIECES

The maze is fine, but that nonsense flick you have to do is killing me and being beaten by a shrine is not how I wanted to end my 12 hour day of Zelda. What a nightmare.

Like Mr Squiggle always says, "Upside Down! Upside Down!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinitum posted:

Like Mr Squiggle always says, "Upside Down! Upside Down!"

Please be very, very, careful putting that reference down. It's an antique :stare:.

You can also just turn the whole map 90 degrees clockwise and drop a fresh ball right into the hallway leading out to the ramp.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I boarded the maze and used Stasis plus bombs to golf it over to near the hole :discourse:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Hammer Bro. posted:

Isaac does a good job of adding more content before you're quite comfortable with the existing content, but it does a poor job of warning you that the content is coming.

The challenges are fun, but also just try to unlock the extra characters and beat it on Normal mode with the characters you do unlocked.

In the process, some crazy stuff will start to come up. And hopefully you'll go mad with powers you didn't even know you had.

I'm pleased that the depth and difficulty appear to keep going up though I almost wandered away during the doldrums.

Related to this, a 2-part tip:

First, there's a bug that allows you to get hard mode achievements/unlocks/completion marks on victory laps, by just exiting and resuming the game once you start a lap. (Victory laps become possible once you unlock The Negative and The Lamb.)

Second, don't exploit this until you're ready! Hard mode unlocks add all sorts of poo poo to the core game, like champion mobs, mob portals, etc. If you're still getting used to the game and don't have a lot unlocked, don't do it.

Best thing to do is to unlock all characters, beat normal and greed mode with them all for unlocks, and do as many challenges as you can tolerate.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thank you thread for coming to me in my time of need. Upside down was giving me some trouble, but the 90 degree thing might do it. Calamity Gannon must be stopped and it would be a real shame if a German children's toy made giant caused the world to end.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I like shrines but there's way too many that just reward you. I know getting to it is the challenge but I want more physics puzzles. The combat ones are kinda lame too.

The ones that just reward you tend to have their challenge be getting to the shrine itself. :shrug:

I'll probably never 100% the shrines even with a walk through because hearing about some like the blood moon shrine sounds awful and even the "follow the point of this tower's shadow during a specific time of day, maybe" kind of stuff is just annoying.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Bought a Switch of my own today, (since I only use the PS4 for anime, CoD, youtube, and pinball).

It's so nice playing games without noticeable bugs again. I forgot how good Nintendo is at QC.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Why would you put stamina bars that stop you from running everywhere in open world games. Why

Just why

GTA does it, BotW does it, FFXV does it. And it serves no purpose but to annoy you. What's the excuse? How does it make the game more fun?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Renoistic posted:

Why would you put stamina bars that stop you from running everywhere in open world games. Why

Just why

GTA does it, BotW does it, FFXV does it. And it serves no purpose but to annoy you. What's the excuse? How does it make the game more fun?

Bigger questions are why is the horse whistle range so short and why is there no song of storms power to stop the loving rain?

If you could solve both of those, running stamina wouldn't really be a big deal. Especially late game with 3 full wheels.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Maybe they should fix people having trouble with an internet connection.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Renoistic posted:

Just why

Just defending it in GTA since I haven't played the others. Tension. When you're escaping on foot it definitely makes you aware of the fact that you have to decide the right moment to kick it into gear.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

a.lo posted:

Maybe they should fix people having trouble with an internet connection.

Restart your Switch! :eng101:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

In a lot of the modern GTA games they even have unlockable infinite sprint, although it's been a couple years and I forget if GTAO has it by default.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Minecraft is alright so far, as someone who's never played it. Although I fear it's going to turn into No Man's Sky in about a week or two when I realize I'm just carving out and hoarding all of these materials for no good reason other than to build another house (for no good reason.) It really hurts that there's no dedicated online function so multiple people can jump in and out of the same world at any time.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I kinda want Minecraft, but it's pretty expensive

If it had support for keyboard/mouse controls I'd probably consider grabbing it as is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqllNjR7vl8

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Beat the main story of Puyo Puyo Tetris, and fuuuuuck Fusion mode. I'm already bad at both games, don't make me try both at once.

This game is great, and I've actually put more hours into it than Mario Kart :ohdear:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Because if you have infinite stamina why are you doing shrines, why are you cooking food, etc?

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

Beat the main story of Puyo Puyo Tetris, and fuuuuuck Fusion mode. I'm already bad at both games, don't make me try both at once.

This game is great, and I've actually put more hours into it than Mario Kart :ohdear:

Fusion mode is weird because the strategy isn't to build chains like Puyo or to do multiple lines like Tetris, but both of those actually feed into the real goal: building combos by popping as many puyos and clearing as many lines as possible before you can't do it in time. I wish I'd known this before I started story mode, actually.

Also, loving Tetris blocks just destroy garbage puyos, making fusion games long and drawn out.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Imagined posted:

Because if you have infinite stamina why are you doing shrines, why are you cooking food, etc?

The love of menu and loading screens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I have Marry-o Kart and Blaster Master ready to go, and I'm pretty close to buying Puyo Puyo Tetris, and Disgaea is almost a sure thing, but I still haven't played anything other than Zelda. God loving dammit do I ever love this game. I keep thinking I'm running out of neat poo poo to find, but then I wander into another cool little thoughtfully designed thing in the middle of nowhere. I don't know if I'm ever going to get around to these other games, or if I even need to.

• Locked thread