Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Ramos posted:

This feels like a parody.

It's gotta be an edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Ramos posted:

Check the date.

It's an edit

Also, have people forgot the slow cooker derail so quickly?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Do it, can't be any worse than the other stuff posted here.
Are they effective?

Dr Cheeto posted:

Do they reduce soda consumption?

Short version so as not to poo poo up the thread. I'll speak strictly about non-diet soda taxes here, and there are complexities I'm passing over. Soda taxes are fairly effective at reducing non-diet soda consumption and (although it's really hard to get good data) negligibly effective at improving public health, at best.

The original data blaming soda for the obesity epidemic appears to have been correlation doing most of the work (americans were eating more of everything, period, during the time being studied). People who do actually reduce soda intake in response to the tax mostly tend to just replace it with another caloric source. The original researchers who promoted the idea (who were mostly the same people who blamed soda and added sugars for the obesity epidemic) based their impact predictions on past soda taxes, which weren't meant to be punitive and which were really, really low. The putative effects were predicted to scale something like geometrically, which, well, they don't. The nutrition researchers involved were really committed to finding this effect, because it was appealing to attack empty calorie artificial sugar water chemicals by evil corporations.

The legal and public discourse side of things is a mess, and explains why soda companies are such an appealing target. The American Beverage Association spends millions of dollars on (often quite badly run) misinformation campaigns to oppose the taxes wherever they're proposed, and Bloomberg Philanthropies (I poo poo you not) spends similar amounts to get them enacted (I think- the pro-tax groups are actually really aggressive at concealing their funding and footprint a lot of the time). The ABA are scum and I'm by no means a fan of them, but I think the taxes are genuinely bad policy. That said, like 90% of the arguments both sides are using about them are meaningless.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 14, 2017

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Uhhhhhhh thanks for the advice Drinky Duck, I guess :confused:

Vanilla extract can be pretty decent proof (~70ish); I once caught a lady drinking a ton of them in the middle of a grocery store aisle. That's how I know this is fake; Tinsley would know that.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Capntastic posted:

Vanilla extract can be pretty decent proof (~70ish); I once caught a lady drinking a ton of them in the middle of a grocery store aisle. That's how I know this is fake; Tinsley would know that.

I have a family member who's struggled with alcoholism, and at one of his low points he was throwing back bottles of extract to get around not being able to buy booze normally. It's absolutely got a fair amount in it, it's just 1. the bottle tend to be pretty small, and 2. you have to be awfully hard up to go that route.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I wonder if Tinsley ever got desperate enough to quaff lighter fluid, and if not how do I persuade him to try.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Is drinking vanilla extract a step above or below drinking mouthwash?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Ziv Zulander posted:

Mouthwash tastes better, so there's that.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Stupid democracts with their scary skull faces, and their weird hats, and their hideous loyalty.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

cant cook creole bream posted:

He managed to get the highest office. He has to do a lot of boring paperwork. His legislatures keep failing. Most people hate him and the others straight up ignore his existence. Were did Donnie get his monkey paw from?
My guess is it was a transplant to try and get bigger hands.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Ramos posted:

Mouthwash tastes better, so there's that.

Mouthwash is lethal.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Mouthwash is lethal.

If you are drinking vanilla extract to get drunk I don't think that is a concern anymore.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Ziv Zulander posted:

Both are a step above hand sanitizer.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Johnny Walker posted:

Both are a step above hand sanitizer.

Where does cooking wine play into this?

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Not what I expected out of this fuckhead, tbh

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Ramos posted:

https://i.imgur.com/QT4QiBv.gif

:ssh:

Starving Wolf
Apr 2, 2010

MUCH LATER
Yams Fan
I like how some people noticed the TInsley edit, but nobody pointed out that the prickly city ones were edits too, because nobody reads prickly city.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Sandpuppy posted:

I get the Trump=emperor with no clothes part, but still not sure why Darrin Bell always adds a bikini tan line. Shout out to Muir, maybe?

Sadddam Hussein in Hot Shots Part Deux

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

No new Zelda today:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Sandpuppy posted:

This Comey business is looking pretty dire ...what else can I make an ObamaBad about?

I always loved that song.

The Leading bone's connected to the From Behind bone.
The From Behind bone's connected to the Chaos bone.
The Chaos bone's connected to the Earth bone.
Now hear the word of the Lord.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

If you are drinking vanilla extract to get drunk I don't think that is a concern anymore.

There was a news article just last week about a woman who got pulled over for littering. She was throwing our the vanilla extract bottles she had been getting drunk off of.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/05/09/vanilla-extract-dui-charges/

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"Corbyn's sweetshop and Cruella de May - Chris Riddell on the Labour manifesto"

Sunday Telegraph:

Cyber-attack sparks bitter political row over NHS spending

Independent on Sunday:

Sunday Times:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

On more than one occasion now I've run into other goons playing Heroes of the Storm, and they will flood chat with thread memes and DEBT.

Not that it bothers me, just a weird cross-pollination of bad things (mobas and politoons). although my friend probably wondered what the hell was happening.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Oh my god, now I want a Politioon MOBA.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

I can't believe that Obama left us defenseless against the galactic chaos skeleton. Looks like the dems are soft on the cosmic undead threat once again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cerebral Bore posted:

I can't believe that Obama left us defenseless against the galactic chaos skeleton. Looks like the dems are soft on the cosmic undead threat once again.

Look you know the deal, so long as we keep the motherfucking Skeleton Frat Parties running, we're safe.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm the thumb of chaos

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

On more than one occasion now I've run into other goons playing Heroes of the Storm, and they will flood chat with thread memes and DEBT.

Not that it bothers me, just a weird cross-pollination of bad things (mobas and politoons). although my friend probably wondered what the hell was happening.

Pretty sure I was one of those times.

Although I only quoted :pants: once, I think.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ziv Zulander posted:

Where does cooking wine play into this?

Cooking wine is just wine that doesn't taste good enough to drink it on its own. In other words it's not more dangerous to your health than normal wine.

Floppy disk is halfway in in the wrong way! :weathervanes:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Jonas Albrecht posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SjcY6C2Hyg

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jonas Albrecht posted:

How would we balance Pope?

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
Trumpisms were huge in clash of clans during the election. I don't think it was even intended to be a troll, he is legit hilarious in the way all small children are.

Some people did get upset, but I think that's par for the course with anything these days

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Streak posted:

i'm the thumb of chaos

That's the brand I promote for my line of pro-gaming controllers.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Starving Wolf posted:

I like how some people noticed the TInsley edit, but nobody pointed out that the prickly city ones were edits too, because nobody reads prickly city.

It's basically white noise at this point.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
A new (to me at least) Bramhall caricature. Super hosed-up!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
have some Sunday Funnies Crossover Comics in which Scott Adams wins an argument with a hilarious straw man!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

army barber butt

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Stultus Maximus posted:

have some Sunday Funnies Crossover Comics in which Scott Adams wins an argument with a hilarious straw man!

I'm surprised he waited this long to grant us uneducated plebs the gift of his hot take.
Truly we have been blessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Starving Wolf posted:

It wasn't the profanity that made it obvious those were edits, but the fact that mini-Boomer was actually being mocked.

• Locked thread