Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fat Samurai posted:

Do No Harm cheevo talk: Do (captain's choice) blowing up the Advent shuttle or (chef talk)the fake chef's suicide count? The first one definitely should count against it, but I've heard reports that it doesn't. Maybe everyone in the shuttle is dead already. :tinfoil:

Neither one does, no. The former seems like an oversight but the second one seems fair to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I know the second one does.

E ^^ really? Fair enough.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 14, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I did both and got both "you are a good person :toot:" cheevos on my first playthrough. If you want to be super sure regarding a certain Chef, disarm the bomb next to him before he blows himself up with it.
He'll cackle for a while and then just unceremoniously die and flop over. He will be dead, but nothing really KILLS him, he just... I dunno, has an aneurysm or something.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Do phantoms spawn from corpses?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Turrets become meaningless midgame, but they still do some work for you, distract the enemy and kill small mimics. You can build a killbox and play the world pities turret defense game with them.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Finished the game, and I figured it was probably some sort of simulation, especially after I did the "leave in alex's escape pod halfway through" thing, but I can't say I expected to be playing as a typhon. I thought the story was pretty good all the way to the end, but the gameplay definitely started to suffer slightly in the endgame. Game would've been better if you didn't end up so powerful as to trivialize most enemies. The game was most fun early on when you had to be careful and clever to deal with even simple enemies like mimics and phantoms. I wonder if they're planning any sort of sequel, because honestly I don't see what that game could even be after that ending.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Bolow posted:

is it possible to nerf gun open the security room door in the Talos 1 Lobby? I tried for like 5 minutes and gave the gently caress up on it. I then opened up a door using the same type of button much later on in the game, so I'm curious if I was just loving it up.

Thats how I got in so yeah it only tookmme like three shots.

I think i might have stood on something to get the right height

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I just used the swipe card to get into lobby security :shrug:

No I don't remember where I got it. Think it was somewhere else in the lobby?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Bolow posted:

is it possible to nerf gun open the security room door in the Talos 1 Lobby? I tried for like 5 minutes and gave the gently caress up on it. I then opened up a door using the same type of button much later on in the game, so I'm curious if I was just loving it up.
My trick was to move a crate in front of the window and crouch on it. I had a clear shot of the door button.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Could someone please tell me, without spoiling anything, what's the farthest point I can get to in the main quest before I reach a point of no return for the ending?
I was to got through as much of the main quest as possible before I do all the side-quests that I haven't done yet.

Also are tracking bracelets you find sometimes used for anything or can I just recycle them?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 14, 2017

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Is there any guns besides: pistol, stungun, shotgun, qbeam, wrench and nerfgun?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gloogun. That's it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
And that's all you need :black101:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Wrench n' psi are my go-to

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I would have liked a little more variety. Like an old battle rifle a veteran smuggled aboard, or a gloogun modified into an etherthrower by desperate scientists (like a flamethrower except it disintegrates things).

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Fat Samurai posted:

Do No Harm cheevo talk: Do (captain's choice) blowing up the Advent shuttle or (chef talk)the fake chef's suicide count? The first one definitely should count against it, but I've heard reports that it doesn't. Maybe everyone in the shuttle is dead already. :tinfoil:
I did both of those things and got the achievement, so they don't seem to count.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

The Lone Badger posted:

I would have liked a little more variety. Like an old battle rifle a veteran smuggled aboard, or a gloogun modified into an etherthrower by desperate scientists (like a flamethrower except it disintegrates things).

This pistol has a hair trigger so it serves the "thing that shoots fast"niche even though it does really low damage. Game definitely needed more weapon variety though and I woulda liked to see construction or science tools repurposed for combat like Dead Space or Alien Isolation

Jack Trades posted:

Could someone please tell me, without spoiling anything, what's the farthest point I can get to in the main quest before I reach a point of no return for the ending?
I was to got through as much of the main quest as possible before I do all the side-quests that I haven't done yet.

Also are tracking bracelets you find sometimes used for anything or can I just recycle them?

The point of no return is spoilery but a good time to do sidequests is before you do (main quest name, vague spoilers) Keys to the Kingdom since Talos I is open up to you.

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 14, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jack Trades posted:

There isn't one. You can go anywhere in the game at any time barring the occasional 'you need to do this because X has shut down travel throughout the station' main plot beats. There's no need for a point of no return because the game just doesn't work like that. You should do side quests as soon as the relevant area is available though, because they will start failing once you head forward in the story if they deal with finding living humans.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

CJacobs posted:

There isn't one. You can go anywhere in the game at any time barring the occasional 'you need to do this because X has shut down travel throughout the station' main plot beats. There's no need for a point of no return because the game just doesn't work like that. You should do side quests as soon as the relevant area is available though, because they will start failing once you head forward in the story if they deal with finding living humans.

Actually I just learned this in my recent playthrough (extremely late game)The Apex blocks off Deep Storage and the airlocks so you can't visit those places anymore

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ah, I didn't know that. In that case, Jack Trades, (no spoilers as per your request) you may want to tie up any currently standing loose ends before you go to finally meet Alex in person. You'll know when he's being serious about it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lakbay posted:

The point of no return is spoilery but a good time to do sidequests is before you do (main quest name, vague spoilers) Keys to the Kingdom since Talos I is open up to you.

CJacobs posted:

Ah, I didn't know that. In that case, Jack Trades, (no spoilers as per your request) you may want to tie up any currently standing loose ends before you go to finally meet Alex in person. You'll know when he's being serious about it.

Aight, thanks a bunch.

Motherfucker posted:

Is there any guns besides: pistol, stungun, shotgun, qbeam, wrench and nerfgun?

There's also a secret-ish better variation of the Pistol that you can get.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Lakbay posted:

Game definitely needed more weapon variety though and I woulda liked to see construction or science tools repurposed for combat like Dead Space or Alien Isolation

It, uh, it has that, though. The gloo gun is literally that. And I don't think recycler charges were intended to be used as weapons.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I missed out on finding everyone on the station because I didn't know that you had to use the security terminal to tag and discover those two survivors trapped in the escape pod launch tube before freeing them. The game does a good enough job with its sequence scripting that I am extremely disappointed by this.

Yes, I know I still can get the achievement with like 90% of people found, but I don't care about the achievement. I wanted to find everyone.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 14, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I felt extremely bad about the part when you have to arm 3 sentry guns and everyone dies anyway, which maybe was my fault for not acting quick enough

Also, do you ever get to find Danielle Sho? I got the message from her but didn't know if she'd survive long enough after the chef mission for me to possibly find her. I'd be sad if, after her whole story arc, she just dies somewhere else

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Turrets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdG0-66VdAo

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

Also, do you ever get to find Danielle Sho? I got the message from her but didn't know if she'd survive long enough after the chef mission for me to possibly find her. I'd be sad if, after her whole story arc, she just dies somewhere else

No, I don't think so, at least I didn't. I'm guessing she just asphyxiates out in space, which is super weird since there are tons of open airlocks she could just go in through.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Josh Dalton, you rear end in a top hat!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Mymla posted:

No, I don't think so, at least I didn't. I'm guessing she just asphyxiates out in space, which is super weird since there are tons of open airlocks she could just go in through.

Let's say you have the option of slowly falling asleep in a spacesuit or having a nightmare violently suck all life out of you or maybe control your brain until it explodes, which do you pick

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Soul Glo posted:

Let's say you have the option of slowly falling asleep in a spacesuit or having a nightmare violently suck all life out of you or maybe control your brain until it explodes, which do you pick

That's not how asphyxiation works.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

Personally I'd choose to take the space shuttle back to earth.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Mymla posted:

Personally I'd choose to take the space shuttle back to earth.

its covered in coral you'd doom us all.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

I felt extremely bad about the part when you have to arm 3 sentry guns and everyone dies anyway, which maybe was my fault for not acting quick enough

i got an achievement for everybody surviving so yeah, you hosed up

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

DLC Inc posted:

The trick is: set sentry guns up on the sides of the doorway, then as soon as the doors part, toss a nullification grenade followed by a recycler (through the doors). All the mobs die horribly and they never manage to do anything to the people. I've always done at least 4 sentries and the last time, I did 6.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Sequel:

You are the Typhon we play as in Prey. The Talos 1 wreckage crashed into Earth, spreading the Typhon across the Earth. Since you are mostly a Typhon, you are capable of finding the huge cluster where the Apex/Coral come from by touching the coral, so Earth has you Suicide to the center of the Typhon. The Final Boss is actually the original Morgan that built January, now fully subsumed by Typhon, and the ending is either you killing them to become Supreme Typhon or Freeing Earth

You could explore abandoned cities, Typhon animals, psychic mutations and the very last thing could be Win-or-Lose the other aliens January worried about show up!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Are there any hidden things to see in Talos exterior that aren't quest goals?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
^^^^^^
first spacewalk on my second playthrough, I noticed a large moon-like object farther away than our moon, but with huge chunks of it torn out and hosed up. I thought it was the moon, but then turned around and saw the actual massive moon.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

DLC Inc posted:

Uh. Everyone lived because I charged in with combat sense.

And technically yes, she is alive when you find her.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Malek posted:

Uh. Everyone lived because I charged in with combat sense.

And technically yes, she is alive when you find her.

Also who only puts 3 turrets? You trying to get everyone killed? I did 6 turrets + max combat sense and I don't think they even had a chance to shoot off a bullet.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kontradaz posted:

Also who only puts 3 turrets? You trying to get everyone killed? I did 6 turrets + max combat sense and I don't think they even had a chance to shoot off a bullet.

I did :shobon: No one got killed in that fight, but I felt bad because there was one guy that ended low on health, and after the security team moved to take Life Support back from Dahl, I saw his body there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Mymla posted:

The security stations report that she's still alive so I don't know where she is.