Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Installed:
side luggage racks
led indicators
led compatible indicator relay
Replaced the crap no name heated grips with proper Oxford premium adventure grips.
Ran switched power from rear light to GPS mount and dual usb socket.
Wired up extra brake light function in rear indicators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Finally put the rest of the plastics (minus one cover) on the Track Bitch. Also, cleaned and oiled the chain. Tomorrow the front suspension gets rebuilt

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Supradog posted:

Installed:
side luggage racks
led indicators
led compatible indicator relay
Replaced the crap no name heated grips with proper Oxford premium adventure grips.
Ran switched power from rear light to GPS mount and dual usb socket.
Wired up extra brake light function in rear indicators.

The Oxfords are nice. I've been really liking mine.

I just finished up a mounting bracket for the controller. It's not perfect looking, but pretty good for being cut with a hacksaw.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

No. 6 posted:

Finally put the rest of the plastics (minus one cover) on the Track Bitch. Also, cleaned and oiled the chain. Tomorrow the front suspension gets rebuilt

Hell yeah, let us know how track day goes? When are you thinking?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Next Saturday is the day. I also managed to have the bike dyno tested for HP yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMsgUzgnEMg

That's supposedly rear wheel power, which means I'm probably close to 100 at the crank. I think the dyno was calibrated too, a new Goldwing was putting down 100 at the rear wheel which makes (according to Honda) 118hp.

No. 6 fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 14, 2017

tjones
May 13, 2005

No. 6 posted:

Next Saturday is the day. I also managed to have the bike dyno tested for HP yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMsgUzgnEMg

That's supposedly rear wheel power, which means I'm probably close to 100 at the crank. I think the dyno was calibrated too, a new Goldwing was putting down 100 at the rear wheel which makes (according to Honda) 118hp.

All manufactures that I know of report power ratings at the crank, or BHP. Depending on the vehicle you stand to lose 15-30% from the crank to the wheel. My bike is claimed 127 BHP and last time on the dyno it read 101.

It's for the same reason manufacturers will also report average MPG as if you short shifted everywhere and only used 10% throttle.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah I dunno about BHP numbers, they all sound like lies to me. I know Dynojet is the best dyno at lying which is why everyone uses it. Ours (not Dynojet) recently showed 85hp at the wheel on a VFR800 with not very loud Leo Vince exhausts and a PC3.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Cleaned and lubed my chain yesterday (Kawasaki Vulcan S) using my spools & rear stand for the first time. The stand is the house brand sold by Cycle Gear. Ran into two issues... the spools were slightly too wide apart for the adjustable hooks on the stand, and the stand handle interfered with my rear fender.

I'd had to put spacers on the spools because the bolt was too long, so if I could find a shorter bolt (need a M10 x 1.25, which is hard to find), I could fix that issue... but the rear fender is an bigger problem.

I managed to make it work by removing the license plate bracket but I had to push the fender out of the way, and I'm afraid I may break something if it happens repeatedly. Dunno how hard it would be to remove the fender altogether. Alternatively, if I could find a rear stand with more clearance, that would do it... anyone had similar issues and know of a stand that might work?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Yeah I dunno about BHP numbers, they all sound like lies to me. I know Dynojet is the best dyno at lying which is why everyone uses it. Ours (not Dynojet) recently showed 85hp at the wheel on a VFR800 with not very loud Leo Vince exhausts and a PC3.

There's only four power ratings anyway:

Slow
Adequate
Quick
gently caress me this is fast

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Well I did my font forks and it rides like a completely different bike. I only wish I had time to redo the back before next weekend's track day.

Here is my setup for getting back and forth to the track.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Haha, doooope. Is that a trailer in a bag?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Yup, got it from Craigslist. It's pretty badass.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

No. 6 posted:

Well I did my font forks and it rides like a completely different bike. I only wish I had time to redo the back before next weekend's track day.

That's a sexy paintjob on the car.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No. 6 posted:

Wondered why someone so conscientious would accept those horrible repsol fairings on their bike but then I saw your car.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Renamed 2nd gear to Satan's gear because it tempts me.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Replaced the hilariously crap stock footpegs with some honda crf125/250/400 pegs. no spring action, but swivels ok + got good angle after some dremel gridning.

modded new, stow new, old crap.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
you know you can just order ones that fit right?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

1993 honda nx250. if you find me aftermarket offroad pegs i'll buy you platinum/archives/ give 5 usd to your favorite humanitarian foundation.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Supradog posted:

1993 honda nx250. if you find me aftermarket offroad pegs i'll buy you platinum/archives/ give 5 usd to your favorite humanitarian foundation.

Without having one in my hands to compare to other pegs and just going by photos, it does not appear to be a different profile compared to other Honda foot pegs like those featured on XR series bikes from that era

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Still a dremel job. would have to trim the pokey bit invard from the hole

Edit: believe me, I've looked. like the only engine crash bars/ protection I can actually buy that mayybe fits, is made for the updated asian only sister model AX-1, made by one random metalworking shop in Ukraine sold via ebay..

Supradog fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 15, 2017

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Supradog posted:

Still a dremel job. would have to trim the pokey bit invard from the hole

Edit: believe me, I've looked. like the only engine crash bars/ protection I can actually buy that mayybe fits, is made for the updated asian only sister model AX-1, made by one random metalworking shop in Ukraine sold via ebay..

Stock NX250:

and I think the really common profile that I referred to earlier would fit fine:

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Hm yeah, low cc XR/crf models actually looks to be similar, TW200 also. Not the higher bigger 650cc model stuff I found. Do you want plat or something else?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Supradog posted:

Hm yeah, low cc XR/crf models actually looks to be similar, TW200 also. Not the higher bigger 650cc model stuff I found. Do you want plat or something else?

I don't want anything just trying to help you out

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Cool, thanks anyway :) Hm, now that I think about it, a parts finder thread might be a nice thing. If you are stumped trying to find something that might exist, but you don't know the correct similar models to look up parts for.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Every part fits eventually if you have a TIG welder, a grinder, and a bunch of files

Guess how I made a set of VFR passenger pegs fit my Hawk!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Every part fits eventually if you have a TIG welder, a grinder, and a bunch of files

You left out "hammer".

And "zip ties".

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Does that coolant bottle act as a true recovery system or would you need to change to a different kind of cap for that?

It definitely works as coolant recovery as well, because the radiator sucked down 1/3 of the bottle's capacity in water. Oops.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slim Pickens posted:

It definitely works as coolant recovery as well, because the radiator sucked down 1/3 of the bottle's capacity in water. Oops.

I ask because girly's husky likes to vomit more than most and if I could stop that by just strapping on an overflow that'd be bloody grand.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

I ask because girly's husky likes to vomit more than most and if I could stop that by just strapping on an overflow that'd be bloody grand.

Did you buy a higher pressure rad cap already?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's coming in the mail but I want to make it more traffic friendly and even my ktm dumps coolant everywhere if you leave it idling for a long time.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Does it even have a radiator fan?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
slapping a radiator fan on there should help a lot. Motion Pro makes an overflow tank, but I'm using an RC airplane fuel tank, cost about $17 with that aluminum cap and pressure fitting attached.I cut some longer hose to stick in there so it would reach all the way to the bottom.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017QQPUA0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 17, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

High Protein posted:

Does it even have a radiator fan?

Lol no. Hoping to avoid having to go that far seeing as lane splitting is legal here so you never sit still for longer than thirty seconds or so, plus it's not a commuter.

Slim Pickens posted:

slapping a radiator fan on there should help a lot. Motion Pro makes an overflow tank, but I'm using an RC airplane fuel tank, cost about $17 with that aluminum cap and pressure fitting attached.I cut some longer hose to stick in there so it would reach all the way to the bottom.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017QQPUA0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hey thanks!

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

My 'quick ride to warm up the motor' went over-schedule last night by a few hours but because it's the first oil change @600mi on the SV so I ended up doing it at 1AM w/ amble lubrication and plenty good old American ingenuity as apparently pixies either stole or hid my tools and drain pan so I had to improvise with a goddamn snow shovel...that factory installed oil filter was on tight as balls and was a 3 beer job on it's own. Despite all this I had a fun time getting intimate for the first time with my new bike.

Also, just got notification from DHL...my Arrow X-Kone slip on is on it's way from Milan and should arrive by this weekend - thing is gonna sound fkn tits!!!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

King of the Beach posted:

My 'quick ride to warm up the motor' went over-schedule last night by a few hours but because it's the first oil change @600mi on the SV so I ended up doing it at 1AM w/ amble lubrication and plenty good old American ingenuity as apparently pixies either stole or hid my tools and drain pan so I had to improvise with a goddamn snow shovel...that factory installed oil filter was on tight as balls and was a 3 beer job on it's own. Despite all this I had a fun time getting intimate for the first time with my new bike.

Also, just got notification from DHL...my Arrow X-Kone slip on is on it's way from Milan and should arrive by this weekend - thing is gonna sound fkn tits!!!

Hell yeah, new ride acclimation is always a rush. I'm a sucker for pipes, post the sound when you get it? :circlefap:

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

That Harley owner is going to want his head back.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

PathAsc posted:

Hell yeah, new ride acclimation is always a rush. I'm a sucker for pipes, post the sound when you get it? :circlefap:

Yeah definitely, I keep forgetting I have an awesome new phone for once that can record video that isn't total rubbish so making a note to get some clips of my fleet in action. I'm OCD as all hell when it comes to tailpipe noises so I'm glad I went with the exotic Arrow pipe as I figured Italians know a few things about making V-twins sound absolutely boss (the MIVV would have been cool too, especially cause it has a devil on it - but I couldn't source one for a reasonable price and was getting antsy).

Last night was actually the first time I felt 100% confident and comfortable on the bike after having it for a week...even riding in urban areas after dark in comfortable temps everything was just okie dokie and oh so right despite the chaos around me - it was all very Wu wei. I'm sure you all know this feeling, it's wonderful...can't wait until I can GTFO of werk and pick back up where I left off.

R-Type posted:

Hey it got the job done! I'll probably use it again instead and clearance is a bit tight below the pan at least compared to what I'm used to.

Actually before I said screw it and decided on that I was poking around the pile of misfit car parts in the deepest, darkest confines of the shed at midnight for a valve cover or heatshield until either a rat or a squirrel jumped out of said pile and scared the everloving poo poo outta me (I knew it was likely bound to happen, and thankfully it wasn't a raccoon which I was expecting) and I said "gently caress this" and grabbed the drat shovel.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Yeah definitely, I keep forgetting I have an awesome new phone for once that can record video that isn't total rubbish so making a note to get some clips of my fleet in action. I'm OCD as all hell when it comes to tailpipe noises so I'm glad I went with the exotic Arrow pipe as I figured Italians know a few things about making V-twins sound absolutely boss (the MIVV would have been cool too, especially cause it has a devil on it - but I couldn't source one for a reasonable price and was getting antsy).

Last night was actually the first time I felt 100% confident and comfortable on the bike after having it for a week...even riding in urban areas after dark in comfortable temps everything was just okie dokie and oh so right despite the chaos around me - it was all very Wu wei. I'm sure you all know this feeling, it's wonderful...can't wait until I can GTFO of werk and pick back up where I left off.

Hey it got the job done! I'll probably use it again instead and clearance is a bit tight below the pan at least compared to what I'm used to.

Actually before I said screw it and decided on that I was poking around the pile of misfit car parts in the deepest, darkest confines of the shed at midnight for a valve cover or heatshield until either a rat or a squirrel jumped out of said pile and scared the everloving poo poo outta me (I knew it was likely bound to happen, and thankfully it wasn't a raccoon which I was expecting) and I said "gently caress this" and grabbed the drat shovel.

Yeah, sounds are important. I feel like I got mine broken in well after the guy had it in storage. Friday is new tire day then I'll fix the lights and a few other things.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

R-Type posted:

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Anyone have a recommendation for a fairings company? The current ones I have are somewhat scratched from the PO lowsiding it (600cc as a learner).