Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

But doesn't being one of the most powerful beings in the universe increase the chances of John Constantine loving with you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Jerusalem posted:

Tony: This is just nonsense, pure nonsense.
Reed: Actually this makes perfect sense to me, you don't get it? :confused:

I imagine all of Reed Richards' petty arguments come down to "Well, my four-year-old daughter understands this, so you must be an imbecile."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Scaramouche posted:

It's great if you love reading pages and pages of so and so pushed/pulled the thinger interspersed with so and so burned (metal). It's loving worse than Wheel of Time's adjusted skirt/pulled braid nonsense.

Yeah action scenes being described sucks.

Should just say then he punched a dude x1000 IMO.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

But doesn't being one of the most powerful beings in the universe increase the chances of John Constantine loving with you?

When you become the most powerful being in the universe I would assume you'd also gain enough knowledge to get the gently caress away from Constantine (like the Swamp Thing did).

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Alhazred posted:

Being in the close proximity of John Constantine and surviving pretty much makes you the most powerful being in the universe.

Chas is God?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Alhazred posted:

When you become the most powerful being in the universe I would assume you'd also gain enough knowledge to get the gently caress away from Constantine (like the Swamp Thing did).

Too little too late. John cost him his soul. :(

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sentinel Red posted:

Chas is God?

Well, one of Constantine's friends turned out to be be the once and future king of England so its not exactly unprecedented.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Jerusalem posted:

Tony: This is just nonsense, pure nonsense.
Reed: Actually this makes perfect sense to me, you don't get it? :confused:

Tony:
Excuse me for just a moment...

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Alhazred posted:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ygolonac posted:

Tony:
Excuse me for just a moment...

It makes me laugh every time I see that posted that Tony's holocard inexplicably shows Maria Hill's boobs instead of just her head and shoulders.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Lurdiak posted:

It makes me laugh every time I see that posted that Tony's holocard inexplicably shows Maria Hill's boobs instead of just her head and shoulders.

I'd like to think that the breasts aren't hers, they're actually something the holocard adds to anyone who calls.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

I'd like to think that the breasts aren't hers, they're actually something the holocard adds to anyone who calls.

"Stark, it's Richards... why are you giggling like a madman more than usual?"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Maybe he was inspired by the ancient Greeks and Romans?

:nws:https://i.imgur.com/lOuGj8N.jpg:nws:

(linked for statuary penis)

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gorilla Salad posted:

Maybe he was inspired by the ancient Greeks and Romans?

:nws:https://i.imgur.com/lOuGj8N.jpg:nws:

(linked for statuary penis)

This is the ideal make body. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Grendels Dad posted:

Normally I'd agree, but if it's magic that's so easy a five year old could use it I feel there needs to be some sort of explanation for why nobody else uses it. Like, what would stop Joker from giving Zatanna constipation right back?
Zatanna had to train a whole bunch in order to get good at magic, the backwards words is just her focusing device. I think she also has a nebulous focus/energy limitation so she can do anything but not everything, so to speak.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
"Gnihtyreve od em tel

Problem solved

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Nessus posted:

Zatanna had to train a whole bunch in order to get good at magic, the backwards words is just her focusing device. I think she also has a nebulous focus/energy limitation so she can do anything but not everything, so to speak.

There was also her 90s miniseries, Zatanna: Come Together, which revamped her powers to do away with the backward-speaking; instead, she got a magic staff and elemental-based magic powers. I'm pretty sure it was forgotten the moment the last issue shipped.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Inkspot posted:

I imagine all of Reed Richards' petty arguments come down to "Well, my four-year-old daughter understands this, so you must be an imbecile."

I actually far prefer the idea of Reed being genuinely perplexed that people don't get it and just wanting earnestly to help them figure it out, which ends up perplexing him more because he can't understand why everybody is getting so frustrated and angry at him.

Reed: Look my 4-year-old daughter gets this, so I know you can too buddy! :3:
Tony: :cripes:

Now Doom on the other hand.... there's a dude who likes to rub it in if you don't get it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I remember Hickman's run starting with Reed angrily yelling at a room full of scientists because they were proposing sensible solutions to humanity's problems instead of dumb comic book nonsense. I don't know what exactly Hickman was going for there but that's probably one of the most perfect encapsulations of why everyone hates Reed Richards I've ever seen.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Hey, when you live in crazy, magical super science land you drat well better be using some super science.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, real world physical problems generally shouldn't be problems in the mu except when some cartoonishly evil dudes (usually roxxon) deliberately cause them. if i was capable of ending world hunger single-handed at any time i wouldn't have much patience for useless academics either.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

yeah, real world physical problems generally shouldn't be problems in the mu except when some cartoonishly evil dudes (usually roxxon) deliberately cause them. if i was capable of ending world hunger single-handed at any time i wouldn't have much patience for useless academics either.

Richards might have a leg to stand on if 99% of his time wasn't spent jerking off into the Negative Zone and another 0.9% spent fixing doomsday scenarios he caused.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Richards might have a leg to stand on if 99% of his time wasn't spent jerking off into the Negative Zone and another 0.9% spent fixing doomsday scenarios he caused.

well, that was his point. despite never doing jack poo poo to improve the world outside of superheroics, reed publicly announced that he was gonna get started.

note: he still did jack poo poo in the end.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Who What Now posted:

Richards might have a leg to stand on if 99% of his time wasn't spent jerking off into the Negative Zone

Don't kinkshame.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

well, that was his point. despite never doing jack poo poo to improve the world outside of superheroics, reed publicly announced that he was gonna get started.

note: he still did jack poo poo in the end.

Didn't his solution involve "putting everyone who disagrees with me in a Negative Zone prison"?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

prefect posted:

Didn't his solution involve "putting everyone who disagrees with me in a Negative Zone prison"?

nah, that was an earlier run by a different author, plus there was event-related stupidity involved. hickman's ff run was pretty good.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I think my favorite moment with Reed along those lines was some guy who was going to try to kill himself because he had cancer and was afraid of dying alone, so Reed gave him some sort of device to contact him when he's about to die so Reed can be there with him.

Instead of, you know, curing his cancer or whatever.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

John Dyne posted:

I think my favorite moment with Reed along those lines was some guy who was going to try to kill himself because he had cancer and was afraid of dying alone, so Reed gave him some sort of device to contact him when he's about to die so Reed can be there with him.

Reed can't play god, damnit!

*literally creates a new universe where he is god*

zoux
Apr 28, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

John Dyne posted:

Look if you want the FF to cure your cancer you need to be a beloved long time mailman to the Baxter Building.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm glad everyone here is coming around the realization that Reed is bad and Doom is good.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm glad everyone here is coming around the realization that Reed is bad and Doom is God.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Doom is God

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Jerusalem posted:

I actually far prefer the idea of Reed being genuinely perplexed that people don't get it and just wanting earnestly to help them figure it out, which ends up perplexing him more because he can't understand why everybody is getting so frustrated and angry at him.

I did specify "petty."

Jerusalem posted:

Now Doom on the other hand.... there's a dude who likes to rub it in if you don't get it.

Seems on the level to me. Omipotence, yes. Omniscience, no. Who doesn't like a good challenge?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

But if Doom already knows everything, there is nothing Doom has to strive for!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Why people hate Reed Richards...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This did that better:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

One of my favorite "Reed is a dick" stories, and I don't have the faintest idea what issue or run it was, was about a scientist who had spent like his entire career coming up with a giant clunky prototype shrink ray, and one day before meeting with investors, Reed revealed a handheld, fully perfected, ready for mass production and reversible shrink ray that'd he come up with, as an addendum to a press conference about something entirely unrelated. So basically something he came up with in an afternoon invalidated another man's entire life's work.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

One of my favorite "Reed is a dick" stories, and I don't have the faintest idea what issue or run it was, was about a scientist who had spent like his entire career coming up with a giant clunky prototype shrink ray, and one day before meeting with investors, Reed revealed a handheld, fully perfected, ready for mass production and reversible shrink ray that'd he come up with, as an addendum to a press conference about something entirely unrelated. So basically something he came up with in an afternoon invalidated another man's entire life's work.

I'm not sure if it's what you're thinking of, but there was an issue in Charles Soule's recent She-Hulk run that sounds really similar. A guy makes a shrink ray but can't get his partner/co-inventor to agree to sell it to a third party. His partner shrinks himself and hides in his yard to avoid responsibility, and She-Hulk has to find him (with help from guest star Hank Pym). When they do find him, Hank tells him the shrink ray is dangerous and unstable and the inventor gets pissed and claims Pym is trying to discredit him and dominate the shrinking industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TwoPair posted:

I'm not sure if it's what you're thinking of, but there was an issue in Charles Soule's recent She-Hulk run that sounds really similar. A guy makes a shrink ray but can't get his partner/co-inventor to agree to sell it to a third party. His partner shrinks himself and hides in his yard to avoid responsibility, and She-Hulk has to find him (with help from guest star Hank Pym). When they do find him, Hank tells him the shrink ray is dangerous and unstable and the inventor gets pissed and claims Pym is trying to discredit him and dominate the shrinking industry.

Nah it's way older than that. It might've been a Marvel Adventures issue but I don't know for sure. Hank Pym isn't involved at all, but Psycho-man does get involved.