Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

How can a third of your country have 0 opinion on something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Because Trump was firing Comey, not Kardashian.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Strong bigly man in office can do as he please no?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Because "who did what?"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CommieGIR posted:

Jesus, he really is just a flaming Nazi.

Ah yes, the Nazis...among Russia's best friends.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

I hope Richard Spencer leads an attack on Russia's western borders this summer.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Hey now, Hitler was openly befriending the Russians so much prior to the invasion, there were still trains with Russian oil pulling into German stations when the invasion began.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Hot Karl Marx posted:

If liberals and the media are mad, Trump is doing something right.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Best Friends posted:

If liberals and the media are mad, Trump is doing something right.

This. It doesn't matter what it is and how much it damages them, the country, or their family. So long as they can post about snowflakes on Facebook, they win.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The snow flake thing is infuriating to me, because it's the same people who get bent way the gently caress outta shape about happy holidays or schools not celebrating (insert holiday here) or Donald Trump getting made fun of on SNL. If you wanna call people over sensitive that's fine, but don't just turn around and immediately do the same poo poo.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Sergg posted:

Richard Spencer led a torch-lit rally of white supremacists in front of the statue of Robert E. Lee in Charlottesville, VA.
They were chanting Nazi slogans such as:
"Blood and soil!"
"Russia is our friend!"
"No more Brother Wars!"
"You will not replace us!"

The mayor considers it to be an act of intimidation aimed at minority groups, hearkening back to the Klan days.

https://twitter.com/craftypanda/status/863564616026263555

Goddamn I'm glad I escaped that town a couple months ago. gently caress.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

KildarX posted:

The snow flake thing is infuriating to me, because it's the same people who get bent way the gently caress outta shape about happy holidays or schools not celebrating (insert holiday here) or Donald Trump getting made fun of on SNL. If you wanna call people over sensitive that's fine, but don't just turn around and immediately do the same poo poo.

People think offending or deliberately attacking moral principles is bad, but people who get bent out of shape about trivial things are worthy of derision, this isn't that hard to understand. You can complain that these are relative judgments all you want, but you're basically wondering why the guy who was laughing at Cartman poo poo-talking Kyle's mom on South Park got offended when you made fun of his mother and called her a pole smoker.

That said, having spent time around a few people who think the right to choose your own pronouns and change them at will is Literally The Most Important Political Issue of the Decade, I can see why other people start to lean towards "anything that upsets these people is funny and good."

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dead Reckoning posted:

That said, having spent time around a few people who think the right to choose your own pronouns and change them at will is Literally The Most Important Political Issue of the Decade, I can see why other people start to lean towards "anything that upsets these people is funny and good."

On the other hand, people who are like "what, now I gotta use the pronoun you asked for UGH MY LIFE IS SO HARD NOW" are pretty fuckin' dumb.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Terrible Robot posted:

Goddamn I'm glad I escaped that town a couple months ago. gently caress.

I'm trying to think of the best solution for these guys.

I'm torn between napalm and thermobarics.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Hot Karl Marx posted:

A third of them have no idea what the significance is.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

MA-Horus posted:

I'm trying to think of the best solution for these guys.

I'm torn between napalm and thermobarics.

Why not both?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Just beat them loving senseless in the street. Don't have to make this complicated.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

The new US ambassador to Israel is firmly against a two-state solution, advocates for moving the embassy to Jerusalem (where he already owns a home), and fundraises for settlements that violate international law.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2017/03/ambassador-israel-great-advantage-netanyahu-170312063724143.html

KildarX posted:

I have yet to see a "gently caress you liberal snowflake" facebook poster who didn't also post stuff like "If you stomp on the flag, I'll stomp on your face," or start crying about football players not standing for the national anthem.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Dead Reckoning posted:

Note that these words or phrases may be considered micro aggressions and offensive to those readers who do not self identify as "people". Please consider them in the future, thanks you.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Arc Light posted:

I have yet to see a "gently caress you liberal snowflake" facebook poster who didn't also post stuff like "If you stomp on the flag, I'll stomp on your face," or start crying about football players not standing for the national anthem.

Not empty quoting

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

On the other hand, people who are like "what, now I gotta use the pronoun you asked for UGH MY LIFE IS SO HARD NOW" are pretty fuckin' dumb.
FWIW, I've literally never met someone who objected to letting people change their pronouns on the grounds of inconvenience. In my experience, the far more common sentiment has been: I can't self identify as a Wealthy Celebrity and expect everyone I encounter to treat me like Brad Pitt instead of a guy making barely more than minimum wage, so why should Georgie Genderqueer get to defect from the standards and expectations imposed on them by society?

Arc Light posted:

People think offending or deliberately attacking moral principles is bad, but people who get bent out of shape about trivial things are worthy of derision, this isn't that hard

Like, you can disagree about what is a moral affront and what is trivial, but acting like their mindset is somehow alien or illogical is stupid as gently caress.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 14, 2017

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Arc Light posted:

Same, and when I point this poo poo out I get replies to the tune of " did I trigger you snowflake?"

Both sides are dumb it's just annoying to see it.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 14, 2017

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

you greatly overestimate how much your average citizen cares about politics. Most people don't know and don't care and have no idea what the implications are and just have a general oh thats not good feeling about Russia/Trump.

TBeats posted:

Because Trump was firing Comey, not Kardashian.

This is exactly right. My girlfriend was vehemently against Trump, passionately for Bernie and would show me facebook articles and share things and talk about stuff all the time. She didn't vote in primaries or the Presidential. Her friends are all upper-middle class/very well off women with a mix of married or independent career focused women. None of them voted. Not a single one. I'm extremely gun shy about discussing politics with anyone but occasionally we'll all do brunch or see each other out and about and I'll ask a very simple oh did you see X, or hear about Y and the answer is almost inevitably no from everyone.

Obviously anecdotal stories, small sample size, etc etc and you'd be totally right to tell me to blow it out my rear end, but man it never ceases to amaze me all these people just legitimately don't care, don't know why/if they should and are entirely unconcerned. But god drat you better believe they know what Kim wore in Paris last weekend playboy.

I had to explain why Trump firing Comey mattered for god sake.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Waroduce posted:

you greatly overestimate how much your average citizen cares about politics. Most people don't know and don't care and have no idea what the implications are and just have a general oh thats not good feeling about Russia/Trump.

This is exactly right. My girlfriend was vehemently against Trump, passionately for Bernie and would show me facebook articles and share things and talk about stuff all the time. She didn't vote in primaries or the Presidential. Her friends are all upper-middle class/very well off women with a mix of married or independent career focused women. None of them voted. Not a single one. I'm extremely gun shy about discussing politics with anyone but occasionally we'll all do brunch or see each other out and about and I'll ask a very simple oh did you see X, or hear about Y and the answer is almost inevitably no from everyone.

Obviously anecdotal stories, small sample size, etc etc and you'd be totally right to tell me to blow it out my rear end, but man it never ceases to amaze me all these people just legitimately don't care, don't know why/if they should and are entirely unconcerned. But god drat you better believe they know what Kim wore in Paris last weekend playboy.

:sever:

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcJVXg7gg4w

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
It's made even harder with the Russia issue because
1. There is not really a perception of Russia as a threat. There is the occasional fly by of a US ship but mostly Russia is not seen as a state that affects the average citizen. Syria is very muddled and confusing; there doesn't seem to be a "right" side. Additionally none of these things have an immediate effect on the average day to day domestic life of most Americans.

2. Russian interference in our politics is not going to have much concrete or blatant evidence to be found. That, combined with the constant throwing around of terms like conspiracy theory and fake news, makes the whole thing seem like just that. Plus, it's a fairly subtle thing. Tell the average citizen that Russia is waging an IO campaign on the US and you'll get a blank look.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Waroduce posted:

I went to high school with a really smart kid that I'm still friends with. Had good grades, has a stable family, good paying job. Not at all a Cletus the slack jawed yokel type.

Last weekend was, I poo poo you not, a white board session at his house explaining the three co-equal branches of government and what they do to put the Comey thing into context. Like, the kinds of things that you had to understand before School House Rock "I'm just a bill" could even make sense.

One of the greatest weapons against America for a really, really long god drat time has been our own complacency. If the GOP could have kept the loving of the poor to a slow boil they'd be riding high and deep dicking the country with impunity but welp, now we've got this cluster gently caress headed towards a crisis point.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

pussy game is ridiculous tho

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Waroduce posted:

pussy game is ridiculous tho

It loving better be. Don't put a ring on it.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
This whole thing is fishy as gently caress. Phone posting, so no transcript, but will when I get to my computer.

If I remember right, this is the investigation that Preet Bhara (sp?) was working on- Russian money laundering on US soil- when he was fired.

Settled for $3M (the cost of trying the case) when they were looking for $20M in damages, no wrong doing admitted by anyone, and the guy in Russia who discovered it wakes up dead in prison.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/russia/idUSKBN18904I

welp posted:

A Russian-owned group of companies has agreed to pay nearly $6 million to settle U.S. civil allegations that the firms laundered proceeds of a $230 million tax fraud, ending a politically charged case days before it was set to go to trial.

Federal prosecutors in New York announced late Friday the surprise settlement between the U.S. government and Russian businessman Denis Katsyv, the owner of Prevezon Holdings, as both sides were preparing to bring the three-year case to trial next week.

“We will not allow the U.S. financial system to be used to launder the proceeds of crimes committed anywhere – here in the U.S., in Russia, or anywhere else," Acting Manhattan U.S. Attorney Joon H. Kim said in a statement.

The settlement comes after Prevezon was hit with key setbacks last week: U.S. District Judge William Pauley denied a summary judgment motion by the defense and granted a government motion to admit evidence from a Russian criminal case.

In a statement Prevezon portrayed the settlement as a victory, saying that the deal was struck without it admitting guilt and that the payment represented less than three percent the amount initially sought by the U.S. government.

"It's almost an admission that they shouldn't have brought the case," Katsyv's attorney, Faith Gay of Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan LLP, told Reuters. "The settlement is the amount it would have cost to try the case."

U.S. authorities had sought to seize more than $20 million in Manhattan condos and bank accounts from Prevezon and related companies prosecutors had claimed were used to launder money stolen by corrupt Russian tax officials. Under the settlement, none of the companies admitted wrongdoing.

The settlement brings an end to a case that raised many of the elements of distrust between Moscow and Washington, such as economic sanctions and allegations of political corruption.

U.S. authorities said the elaborate tax fraud and money laundering allegations were first uncovered by Sergei Magnitsky, Russian accountant for investment firm Hermitage Capital.

After accusing Russian officials of the $230 million tax fraud, he was arrested on tax evasion charges and died in prison a year later, prosecutors said.

The Kremlin's human rights council found that Magnitsky likely died from a beating delivered by guards and medical neglect. Russian authorities have said Magnitsky death was caused by heart failure, not foul play.

In 2012, at the urging of Magnitsky's former employer, Hermitage Capital CEO William Browder, Washington passed a law freezing any U.S. assets of Russian investigators and prosecutors said to have been involved in the accountant's detention. In retaliation, Moscow barred Americans from adopting Russian children

In the settlement agreement, prosecutors stated that none of the defendants had a role in the death of Magnitsky.

Katsyv's attorney Gay said the current controversy over allegations of Russian meddling in U.S. elections had likely motivated both sides to settle before trial. "It's such a heated political environment right now," she said. "I'm sure that was a factor."

Some big notes - They agreed to settle AFTER the judge had allowed the US prosecutors to bring evidence from Russia into the case. The case was discovered in Russia, which means the US likely would have an overwhelming amount of evidence, in addition to what they already had.

However, the man who discovered all the issues IN Russia, was summarily arrested for tax fraud, jailed, and likely beaten to death.

Preet Bharara, the US Attorney fired by Trump, was the one leading this case initially. Shortly after he's fired, the US attorney agrees to a settlement that is more or less the cost of trying the case. Not even going after any assets, as was initially planned.

And the guy who initially noticed the wrong doing suddenly winds up dead in prison. Human rights council says he was beaten to death... Russian officials say it was just heart failure. Whoops!

I went back and confirmed, and yes, this is the same case that Preet was working at the time of his firing.

This is fishy as gently caress all over the place.

windshipper fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 14, 2017

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

holy lol

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

FAKE NEWS

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Technically, every human being who has ever died has died due to heart failure.

:ussr:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Have the Best Presidential Mother's Day Letter ever. Not a Donnie thing, it's JFK!

https://twitter.com/BeschlossDC/status/863774318685245440

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Dead Reckoning posted:

FWIW, I've literally never met someone who objected to letting people change their pronouns on the grounds of inconvenience.

hi.

I can already think of examples where I felt zero inclination to be tolerant and accepting of others preferred pronouns:

"Don't call me ma'am! I'm only [ x ] years old!"
"Don't call me sir, I WORK for a living!"

It usually occurs in a checkout line or immediately after a totally polite "excuse me (sir/ma'am)". You know, encounters with strangers that don't require any additional interaction, and yet IMPORTANT PEOPLE never miss an opportunity to remind total strangers how important and unique they are.

New generation, same rear end in a top hat behavior. I don't think it should be encouraged.

edit: "you"/"them" should replace all the outdated gender binary pronouns. Everyone who isn't an rear end in a top hat will be okay with that.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

MrYenko posted:

Technically, every human being who has ever died has died due to heart failure.

In Soviet Russia, you fail the heart. It does not fail you.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

facialimpediment posted:

Have the Best Presidential Mother's Day Letter ever. Not a Donnie thing, it's JFK!

https://twitter.com/BeschlossDC/status/863774318685245440

Michael Beschloss is a cool dude and im always happy to see him pop up on msnbc

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Well, this is awkward.

https://twitter.com/JamesMcLeary/status/863748297630011392

Seeing some limited reports that they've re-engineered that ransomware worm so it doesn't phone home to a website anymore. Update your computers!

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

facialimpediment posted:

Well, this is awkward.

https://twitter.com/JamesMcLeary/status/863748297630011392

Seeing some limited reports that they've re-engineered that ransomware worm so it doesn't phone home to a website anymore. Update your computers!

Tomorrow will be super fun when people come back to work after the weekend, and start turning on their computers :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I recommend you scan your ports before next week.

• Locked thread