Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Years ago I picked up physical copies of The Godfather and Scarface games on the very cheap and they both had serious trouble running on modern systems. They probably will have to renew the license for a re-release as well, so I don't see those publishers putting in any effort. Scarface has licensed music, so that's another hurdle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Max Wilco posted:

Is there any chance GOG will apply the patch to the game to their installer? I've wanted to play The Saboteur for a long time, but I've been skeptical about picking it up because I didn't want to mess around with disabling CPU cores. I'm tempted to buy the game now and try the patch, but I'm curious if anyone here has tried it and can verify how well it works.

AbstractNapper posted:

No idea if GOG will patch the game, or if they are aware of this new fix. But, I don't see why they wouldn't do it... eventually.

It's probably a good idea to bug them about it, or they might never find out. Of course, there's always the chance the publisher will say no, just like how Activision hates fan-patches with the fury of a trillion cat-hair mustaches.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

BiggerJ posted:

It's probably a good idea to bug them about it, or they might never find out. Of course, there's always the chance the publisher will say no, just like how Activision hates fan-patches with the fury of a trillion cat-hair mustaches.

You're right. I did have it mind to send a message to support, so I guess I can write something quick and point them to that thread's latest messages.

I also noticed that the gog original exe comes already patched with the "Large Address Aware" patch (which is recommended by pcgamingwiki ) which is also just a byte value changed earlier in the exe file. Which means GOG did already apply a similar patch to the exe, so maybe they won't have issues applying another one. The difference being, I am sure about what the "Large Address Aware" value does, but unsure how the other byte value fixes the more than 4 cores bug -- maybe they can get in contact with the guy that came up with the patch.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Alan Wake went on last-chance clearance at GOG a day after it did on Steam. Licensed music expiring is tanking the game if you didn't hear of it. https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/05/12/alan-wake-removed-from-steam-gog/

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Testekill posted:

Ristar is real loving good guy

Alright, I've played it, and while interesting, the vine elastic controls were horrible. That might be me using a keyboard.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

doctorfrog posted:

Alan Wake went on last-chance clearance at GOG a day after it did on Steam. Licensed music expiring is tanking the game if you didn't hear of it. https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/05/12/alan-wake-removed-from-steam-gog/

I like that the entire article is mostly just an excuse to link to weird fetish fan fiction.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Skwirl posted:

I like that the entire article is mostly just an excuse to link to weird fetish fan fiction.

What on earth are you talking about, it's just a warning to get Alan Wake now while you ca-

quote:

One might draw a connection between Alan Wake’s David Lynch influences, Roy Orbison killing Alan Wake, Laura Palmer being found dead, wrapped in plastic, and Ulli’s Roy Orbison In Clingfilm stories but to write it an artful way would be showing off and distract from the Roy Orbison in clingfilm stories, and all I really want is for you to read those Roy Orbison clingfilm stories, so we’ll skip that and you’ll go read them, okay? Ok.

:stare:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Alan Wake is the best put together survival horror game I've ever played. I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't get a chance to play it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Casimir Radon posted:

Alan Wake is the best put together survival horror game I've ever played. I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't get a chance to play it.

I remember being really disappointed with Alan Wake. I don't remember what it was exactly about it that put me off, though .I know there was something about the combat I didn't like, and the story didn't really grab me, so I didn't do the additional chapters that came after the ending. Regardless, I picked up American Nightmare for 99¢.

It's weird, because I really love Max Payne 1 & 2, and I was thinking that I'd enjoy Alan Wake just as much. From what I've heard, Remedy's latest game, Quantum Break, didn't fare that well.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I liked Alan Wake, but I was really fascinated by all the bits where you can see how it started out as an open world game. Constrained paths, but you can see where the terrain just goes on and on past that, and the times where you're given a vehicle and can operate in the larger world for a bit.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The problem with Alan Wake for me is that I just don't think it's fun to play. At all. Combat variety is close to zero and there's very little else. It feels like a proof-of-concept stretched out to a whole game. Also, the story is a mediocre mishmash of Twin Peaks and some generic Stephen King story. The concert's the one part that sticks out and I'm guessing it's the reason the game is disappearing.

I'm saying this as someone who has finished Max Payne 1-3 dozens of times.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I would say Alan wake is worth checking out at this low price, but yeah, I was also disappointed by it.

It plays like a spiritual sequel to the Max Payne games but it gets boring and repetitive towards the end. It also has you hunting for pages in a forest and that is no fun, especially since some of those are locked behind nightmare difficulty which you can't even play until after finishing the game once.

The gameplay is... lacking in general and the dlc is terrible garbage.

It has excellent design in its forest and outdoors areas, though. And it looks great in most locations. Also sounds great and creates eerie atmosphere at parts.

Iirc it went through development hell, and they originally had a lot more ambitious plans for it. It would have been open world, and they kept showing impressive tech demos of the engine and how it utilises multiple cpu cores etc. After turning it to an Xbox exclusive (...) and with an unfortunate marketing to support that decision, you knew something went terribly wrong there.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Eador: Genesis - 45669-8229B-AAC28-564FD

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Eador: Genesis - 45669-8229B-AAC28-564FD
I grabbed this, cheers!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I have a key for Genesis as well, upon request.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Why did rayman legends disappear from the store?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I don't think Legends ever was on GoG. Origins is.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ilmucche posted:

Why did rayman legends disappear from the store?

It could have something to do with the upcoming Definitive Edition on the Switch. New PC version built off that maybe?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

GOG decided to embed their GOG Galaxy client into a bunch of Windows installer files.
A vocal anti-DRM segment of the GOG forums are crafting artisanal molotov cocktails NOT HAPPY about this change or how GOG decided to share this news.
No main website article, no email notification, just the following thread posted on May 9th.

quote:

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/offline_installers_with_an_option_to_install_gog_galaxy/page1

fables22
GOG.com Team
Posted May 09, 2017

Hey everyone!

Starting on Friday, we’re going to include the option to install the GOG Galaxy client from the offline installers downloaded via GOG.com in over 100 games.

As many new users discover and download games from our website, we don’t want them to end up with installations that don’t auto-update or backup saves to the cloud. In fact, we want to offer everyone the most convenient experience from the get-go.

Don’t fret, nothing’s changed with our approach to GOG Galaxy being optional, which is why you can easily uncheck the GOG Galaxy installation within the game installer settings.

Last but not least, here’s a list of games that will include the option to install GOG Galaxy: bit.ly/GOG_games_installers

So far, it seems to effect only Windows & possibly Mac game installer files.
Linux installer files are safe because the Linux Galaxy client is vapourware.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Pretty sure legends was at one point because I was hoping it'd go on sale.

To be fair galaxy seemed pretty crap when I gave it a try. I uninstalled it and still had to manually delete files to get necrodancer working again. Not a fan of galaxy at all.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

GOG decided to embed their GOG Galaxy client into a bunch of Windows installer files.
A vocal anti-DRM segment of the GOG forums are crafting artisanal molotov cocktails NOT HAPPY about this change or how GOG decided to share this news.
No main website article, no email notification, just the following thread posted on May 9th.

So far, it seems to effect only Windows & possibly Mac game installer files.
Linux installer files are safe because the Linux Galaxy client is vapourware.

Jesus it's just the option because they want to encourage uptake, not the end of the world.

Saerdna
Aug 8, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Those Roy Orbison in Cling Film stories are extremely good and everyone should buy the book like I did back when only cool people knew about them

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Ulrich-Haarburstes-Novel-Orbison-Clingfilm/0955460204

quote:

Hello, and welcome to my book. My name is Ulrich Haarburste and I like to write stories about Roy Orbison being completely wrapped in clingfilm. When I put these stories on my website they proved very popular so I have written this novel. This tome also contains the original tales and some new ones. Not to speak boastfully but it is perhaps the only book you will ever need to own on the subject of wrapping Roy Orbison in clingfilm. So then. If you will proceed to the till in an orderly fashion, you may commence to buy.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Alchenar posted:

Jesus it's just the option because they want to encourage uptake, not the end of the world.

Agreed.
Just like your current avatar text, it's over-reaction.txt

Looking at the Battletech trailer just made me want MechCommander 3 over HBS Battletech.
MechCommander Omnitech thank you for existing.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Alchenar posted:

The tea party contingent of the GOG forums went into conniptions over this. GOG's placing a Galaxy installer stub that's enabled by default in a bunch of games. It'll bloat the installers a bit and be something you have to look out for if you don't want Galaxy.

I think what I'm more concerned with is what already bugs me about some games on GOG anyway: lots of times, developers are slow--or even decline--to update the versions of their games that update on GOG. That's probably got the management more eager to distribute a client that can issue push updates the way Steam does to make that bit a heck of a lot easier.

It's better overall for the consumer, but as one of those weirdos who prefers to download installers, I'm a bit concerned. Will I get those patch rollups? Maybe not all the time. But I'm not nearly as concerned as some are.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Skwirl posted:

poo poo, I didn't even notice this. Puts a whole new spin on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o4s1KVJaVA

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

doctorfrog posted:

The tea party contingent of the GOG forums went into conniptions over this. GOG's placing a Galaxy installer stub that's enabled by default in a bunch of games. It'll bloat the installers a bit and be something you have to look out for if you don't want Galaxy.

I think what I'm more concerned with is what already bugs me about some games on GOG anyway: lots of times, developers are slow--or even decline--to update the versions of their games that update on GOG. That's probably got the management more eager to distribute a client that can issue push updates the way Steam does to make that bit a heck of a lot easier.

It's better overall for the consumer, but as one of those weirdos who prefers to download installers, I'm a bit concerned. Will I get those patch rollups? Maybe not all the time. But I'm not nearly as concerned as some are.

Right so it's a whole bunch of sooking over nothing just like how JRPG fans lose their poo poo when something creepy in the Japanese version is removed or censored.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
nvm misread

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer
You can get Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves for free on GOG now.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

that's the worst game name I've ever seen

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Renowned Explorers: International Society snuck onto GOG Connect.

I_Like_Me
Dec 26, 2004
Mount & Blade code

219EE-F468E-3EB9D-A1DB6

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Mount & Blade is free for the next 38 hours.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

OhFunny posted:

Mount & Blade is free for the next 38 hours.

Looks like they're also sending out codes to people who have it. I got one as well, I guess if anyone misses their free copy.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Here's a M&B copy for anyone who wants it: https://www.gog.com/redeem/914F2-E714B-91D44-BAA44

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Word is that Tugs of the Tuggster is coming to GOG soon after languishing in abandonware hell for decades

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Guess what's getting a threequel? (Looks like GOG has the Tycoon versions of 1+2 and Steam has the Connection versions.)

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Word is that Tugs of the Tuggster is coming to GOG soon after languishing in abandonware hell for decades

A search only brings up a Thomas the Tank Engine spinoff.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 20, 2017

Kangra
May 7, 2012

There's a free Mount & Blade code for anyone, if you click on my user profile page.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I have codes for Eador: Genesis, Sang-Froid and Mount & Blade, available upon request.

Edit: Eador taken. Other two still available.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 21, 2017

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Any mod recommendations for Mount and Blade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

FalloutGod posted:

Any mod recommendations for Mount and Blade?

Play warbands instead