Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I installed GeForce Experience back when I installed Windows 10 over a year ago and since I never really used it for anything I uninstalled it but is there any reason to have it installed now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

spasticColon posted:

I installed GeForce Experience back when I installed Windows 10 over a year ago and since I never really used it for anything I uninstalled it but is there any reason to have it installed now?

It's not necessary in any way. Streaming or recording gameplay is about the only useful thing. The "optimal settings" feature is usually pretty hit or miss from what I've seen. It will notify you of new driver updates.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I didn't install it, but I had quite a few nvidia services running, just from the driver itself. What do they do?

I disabled them all and everything works fine.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I wonder if AMD's GPU block for Intel processors just got outed by these leaked slides:

Note the entry labeled, "NextGen MCM 4GB 10CU, 2024 LTS 5DP++".

I mean, it is equally entirely likely that this is also what will be found on Raven Ridge parts, but I think the differences between iGPUs on both Intel and AMD should be minimal.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Lockback posted:

I bought a 560ti and a buddy got a free one so he traded me his 570 straight up for it so he could SLI. That 570 lasted me until I sold it for $75 and bought a 770 for $100, then sold the 770 for $100 and bought a 1070.

So basically the 560ti was a bro.

I was just coming in here to say I sold a SFF 740 for $53 real dollars when I just replaced it with a rx460 for only $25 more. Are people out there just reading out of date guides and buying only what they think is available or am I completely missing something?

The card I bought is 3x faster for the same power/size.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 13, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

LethalGeek posted:

I was just coming in here to say I sold a SFF 740 for $53 real dollars when I just replaced it with a rx460 for only $25 more. Are people out there just reading out of date guides and buying only what they think is available or am I completely missing something?

The card I bought is 3x faster for the same power/size.

Probably. I would imagine niche stuff like SFF guides don't get updated very often, and it's not like there are a plethora of SFF cards out there so anyone just doing a cursory search is unlikely to turn up anything newer.

Also, a lot of people who are buying very low-end stuff are totally uninterested in gaming, they just want to get their facebook back as cheaply as possible. They don't care that it's 3x faster for $25, they don't game anyway.

There is definitely a minimum buy-in for GPUs though. It's $50 to get literally anything that will plug into the socket and boot up, but another $25 buys you like 3-5x the performance.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Probably. I would imagine niche stuff like SFF guides don't get updated very often, and it's not like there are a plethora of SFF cards out there so anyone just doing a cursory search is unlikely to turn up anything newer.

Also, a lot of people who are buying very low-end stuff are totally uninterested in gaming, they just want to get their facebook back as cheaply as possible. They don't care that it's 3x faster for $25, they don't game anyway.

There is definitely a minimum buy-in for GPUs though. It's $50 to get literally anything that will plug into the socket and boot up, but another $25 buys you like 3-5x the performance.
I honestly didn't even think of this. Better to salvage something functional for $50 for sure.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
Yeah in a previous life when I worked in retail, like 99% of $50ish video cards we sold were going into old crappy machines that only get used for email/web browsing but the video card died and the person wants the cheapest solution to get a functional computer again. Often like 8+ year old machines, so even today people fixing machines that old would often not have integrated graphics available to fall back on.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Plus, if your budget is a hard $60 it's not like you have a ton of options.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Does anybody have a link to an article on how the GTX 1060 has improved over time?

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Exactly why my friend ended up on a 610, she had about £20 budget and was using a 8800gt and a stopgap but needed something hdmi capable. She later resold it for £20 and paid £25 for a 5570. Which she then sold for £25 and got a 670 gtx for £55.

Next will be to sell the 670 and upgrade to a 970, once the price drops <£100.

Sometimes people legit don't have the money and just need something that runs. Hell when I first built her pc it was made from 3 old dell's and some parts, she was stuck on an Athlon 64 and a 6800gt. it ran Left 4 Dead with all shaders, shadows and effects disabled.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016
I've heard speculation that there are a lot of people who think computers are like cars where you have to replace a part with the same model.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Well, to be fair that does exist. I know there are some vendors who white list device ids or lazily write drivers *cough*apple*cough*

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Lockback posted:

Plus, if your budget is a hard $60 it's not like you have a ton of options.

If you have the time/will to sit around on ebay for a while you can actually get something pretty good for $60.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 13, 2017

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

If you have the time/will to sit around on ebay for a while you can actually get someone pretty good for $60.

:quagmire:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Does anybody have a link to an article on how the GTX 1060 has improved over time?

Release: http://techreport.com/review/30812/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-graphics-card-reviewed/8
By the time RX580 arrives: http://techreport.com/review/31754/amd-radeon-rx-580-and-radeon-rx-570-graphics-cards-reviewed/5

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Thanking you. So in Hitman DX12 the GTX 1060 went from 46-->55 fps average. That's a pretty big jump. That takes you from the realm of unplayability into playability.

The reason I was asking is to see how much better laptops with a GTX 1060 have gotten since they first got reviewed. I don't think every game is going to show a 46-->55 17% (is that correct?) increase in performance, but if GTX 1060 laptops are doing better now than they were before, then it's an even bigger win for mobile gaming.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Nvidia only released their DX12 Gameworks suite and proper drivers a couple of weeks ago with the 1080ti launch, so you might see games actually starting to take advantage of the juicy compute stuff around the holiday season mayybe?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Frame times from the 480 to the 580 improved by alot.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I got a new sealed PNY 1080ti FE on SAMart, dropped it down to $630 shipped if anyone wants.

Is it bad that I'm using my own 1080ti to play Hollow Knight?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I use a water-cooled 1080ti to play cs go

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I use a water cooled 1070 to play StarCraft and HotS

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Air cooled 970 for battlefield 1

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Playing the original Deus Ex on a 1080.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Nethack on a Titan Xp

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Chrome and Plex on a water-cooled, overclocked 1080.

No regrets.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

A video card with a heatsink and two fans on it, but one of them doesn't work a lot of the time, to really carry the load in many of the hit 2D and 3D games. Let's get going

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Not as bad as some of you guys but mine has somehow devolved into Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 on a GTX780

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Deuce posted:

Nethack on a Titan Xp

Telnet or local?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Not as bad as some of you guys but mine has somehow devolved into Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 on a GTX780

Fine choice of game

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Visual novels on a 1080 Ti.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
1070 being used to play Rocket League and psp jrpgs (trails in the sky games)

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Variable_H posted:

Visual novels on a 1080 Ti.

Tsukihime remake has absurd system requirements

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

PerrineClostermann posted:

Tsukihime remake has absurd system requirements

Well yeah it's in early access.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

havenwaters posted:

Well yeah it's in early access.

I thought Greenlight was supposed to take care of that dumb stuff?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

DrDork posted:

I thought Greenlight was supposed to take care of that dumb stuff?

It was grandfathered in.

It's been "coming out" since 2011 and there's been no sign of it actually coming out.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
ETA 2010!

Just -7 years to go, then we can be rid of FSN!

eames
May 9, 2009

I use my GTX 1060 to buy a game on steam, check how well it would run at Ultra settings, realise I don't have time to play, shut the PC down and repeat the process a month later.
Looking forward to upgrade to Volta 2080 when it is out. Diaries of a 30 year old :pcgaming:

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

eames posted:

I use my GTX 1060 to buy a game on steam, check how well it would run at Ultra settings, realise I don't have time to play, shut the PC down and repeat the process a month later.
Looking forward to upgrade to Volta 2080 when it is out. Diaries of a 30 year old :pcgaming:

Same, but GTX 980 Ti and I'm only 20. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I use my 1080ti to run chat programs on my other monitors while playing console games. Lately I've also been playing an indie rpg maker game in a tiny window in the middle of my 4K monitor when I need a change of pace.