Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

Kontradaz posted:

Also who only puts 3 turrets? You trying to get everyone killed? I did 6 turrets + max combat sense and I don't think they even had a chance to shoot off a bullet.

It's a schlep, though. I put 4 and then pinned the Typhon down with Gloo spray, whole thing's over in seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Kurzon posted:

The security stations report that she's still alive so I don't know where she is.

Turns out she's the Apex

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Follow-on game thoughts/musings:

Like others said, I noticed the glowy array of lights on the moon, and there's also a text article (I think it's a magazine) talking about how Talos was designed to keep people from going insane, unlike some lunar facility that is buried beneath the surface and SUPER SECURE and where people extract helium-3 and go insane because of the claustrophobia.

I'd be totally down for a DLC or a sequel where you're playing on the moon. A parallel research site into the Typhon? There's a reference to TranStar North accident so they obviously have multiple facilities. And instead of floating around a space station exterior, you can bounce around the lunar surface.

Re: ending

I liked it. Also, wrapping up my second playthrough as Typhon-only Female Morgan, maybe it's me knowing the truth or maybe it's the female Morgan voice actor, but January's messages to you in the late game are so totally obviously a sign that you're a Typhon being judged on your ability to decide what is an empathetic/morally good action.

E: also, while I'm posting, I got a chipset that gives you psi for standing inside coral and it's the absolute BEST for a late-game Typhon-only player :D

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 14, 2017

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Can someone tell me what's the deal with the supposedly fake cook, Will Mitchell? Specifically what happens if you do as he wants and go inside the freezer?
I smelled a massive rat and "solved" the problem before it even happened using the stun gun but now I don't have a convenient save file to go back and check.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jack Trades posted:

Can someone tell me what's the deal with the supposedly fake cook, Will Mitchell? Specifically what happens if you do as he wants and go inside the freezer?
I smelled a massive rat and "solved" the problem before it even happened using the stun gun but now I don't have a convenient save file to go back and check.

Spoilers for Crew Quarters The cook is actually an escaped Volunteer. If you go into the freezer you are knocked out and locked inside, where you find the body of Danielle's girlfriend and a message that lets you meet up with Danielle (this helps with the voice print lock for Deep Storage). You also get a quest to hunt the Volunteer down; he puts a bunch of Recycler Bomb traps in the Crew/Arboretum/Bridge area

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's actually a pretty important sidequest from a world-building perspective as the guy knows a lot more than he initially seems to about the Typhon and what their purpose is, which is why it's so hard to miss.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
OK, just finished my Typhon-only playthrough. I swear that some of the flashbacks at game milestones are different, the operators are clearly more visible than they were in the Human-only ones, and the last one as you arm the reactor for detonation clearly shows you looking at your arm being consumed by Typhon tendrils..

Regarding the "secret way to play" that the dev was talking about, I'm wondering if it's a "don't kill ANY Typhon" playthrough. You could dodge the first few mimics right out of where you wake up, then you have the gloo gun and can just immobilize from there on out. Only thing I can think of that might be a problem is the test chamber lockdown in Psychotronics.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Kurzon posted:

The security stations report that she's still alive so I don't know where she is.

Yes, but she's not wearing her bracelet, so the security stations don't know poo poo.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

overdesigned posted:

Regarding the "secret way to play" that the dev was talking about, I'm wondering if it's a "don't kill ANY Typhon" playthrough.

The dev already said the "secret way" was just killing every human (and operator) you see. Pretty disappointing considering there's already an achievement for doing just that.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

Also, do you ever get to find Danielle Sho? I got the message from her but didn't know if she'd survive long enough after the chef mission for me to possibly find her. I'd be sad if, after her whole story arc, she just dies somewhere else

I found her after stunning the chef (who was acting really fishy and appeared to be an imposter), by banging on a window in crew rec to get her attention. She gave me the voice code for Deep Storage (so I didn't have to assemble the password Sneakers-style from voice clips). She warned me about the chef and urged me not to let him off the station, so I went back and shot him.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Thoughts on the video game prey: its good

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Quinton posted:

I found her after stunning the chef (who was acting really fishy and appeared to be an imposter), by banging on a window in crew rec to get her attention. She gave me the voice code for Deep Storage (so I didn't have to assemble the password Sneakers-style from voice clips). She warned me about the chef and urged me not to let him off the station, so I went back and shot him.

holy poo poo, no idea this could happen

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Just finished my first play-though, I dove in at Nightmare difficulty because why not. I very much enjoyed myself although learning that there is no way to get an ending that isn't 'oh its all a simulation' is kind of a bummer. It did blindside me though, I didn't expect it at all.. As for the late-game operators everyone seems to be complaining about this is where the mimic power owned hard, just mimic yourself into a black box operator and blast everyone away with the laser it has equipped. It's weird too because while you are an operator in combat it seems like you can't be damaged at all, I'd only suffer power loss that's needed to maintain the operator form until I killed everyone.
I've only got a couple things that nag me a bit:
Regarding enemy density throughout the game the larger human-esque Typhons require a human body to come into form right? Because if so I killed way more of them than there could have been people on the ship. Likewise if mimics need to burst from a human host to make 4 of themselves I've long past the human body requirement to make all the enemies I killed and then recycled and then made into more points for me to then kill even more. Where did all the enemies come from?
As for the ending itself Since those people are now using their voices but are operators no matter what you do in the game doesn't that mean that Morgan actually did save them in canon? For them to now be in operators they had to be alive long enough to make it into one even just as a programming exercise. I do suppose though that Transtar might have had mind-maps of everyone which might have been enough to make an operator out of them. Also that means that Morgan's October/December/January were the first versions of that sort of technology so he/she is directly responsible for those operators existing. Alex is still in his human form though so I wonder how he ended up seemingly being the only human left in human form from the Talos I. Morgan is probably dead as is whatever operators he made because that would make a lot of sense to have those there at the end explaining you are a typhon in a simulation.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

She leaves a message, I think for Abby, and I forget if I found it while searching Abby's room or when I found her body in the freezer, saying she's waiting outside the station for a signal.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

DLC Inc posted:

This right here is why this game is awesome.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

KakerMix posted:

Just finished my first play-though, I dove in at Nightmare difficulty because why not. I very much enjoyed myself although learning that there is no way to get an ending that isn't 'oh its all a simulation' is kind of a bummer. It did blindside me though, I didn't expect it at all.. As for the late-game operators everyone seems to be complaining about this is where the mimic power owned hard, just mimic yourself into a black box operator and blast everyone away with the laser it has equipped. It's weird too because while you are an operator in combat it seems like you can't be damaged at all, I'd only suffer power loss that's needed to maintain the operator form until I killed everyone.
I've only got a couple things that nag me a bit:
Regarding enemy density throughout the game the larger human-esque Typhons require a human body to come into form right? Because if so I killed way more of them than there could have been people on the ship. Likewise if mimics need to burst from a human host to make 4 of themselves I've long past the human body requirement to make all the enemies I killed and then recycled and then made into more points for me to then kill even more. Where did all the enemies come from?
As for the ending itself Since those people are now using their voices but are operators no matter what you do in the game doesn't that mean that Morgan actually did save them in canon? For them to now be in operators they had to be alive long enough to make it into one even just as a programming exercise. I do suppose though that Transtar might have had mind-maps of everyone which might have been enough to make an operator out of them. Also that means that Morgan's October/December/January were the first versions of that sort of technology so he/she is directly responsible for those operators existing. Alex is still in his human form though so I wonder how he ended up seemingly being the only human left in human form from the Talos I. Morgan is probably dead as is whatever operators he made because that would make a lot of sense to have those there at the end explaining you are a typhon in a simulation.

The enemies are basically being farmed from prisoners who are condemned to be used for that purpose. It's gross as gently caress. :[ So who knows how many total they actually created, since they were clearly bad at keeping track.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

AlternateAccount posted:

The enemies are basically being farmed from prisoners who are condemned to be used for that purpose. It's gross as gently caress. :[ So who knows how many total they actually created, since they were clearly bad at keeping track.

Yeah the crew manifests obviously only list the actual crew, I assume all of the enemies come from the prisoners locked up in some section of Psychotronics, which is probably also where the outbreak started

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Its neat that this game has living friendly NPCs unlike system shock 2 or like Bioshock

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

AlternateAccount posted:

No I know that but I killed lots of the things, more than prisoners could possibly be aboard Talos I. I know there are stats for the game so I'll go back and look because I'm not completely sure but Talos I is only so big and only has so many places prisoners can be stored. I'm pretty sure the reason why there are so many enemies (maybe difficulty level effects amount of enemies) is because vidoegame. There were plenty of times where I'd transition to an area, then immediately turn around to get something I forgot and get hit with a group of Weavers right on the other side of the door I just went through a moment ago. It's as much as where they came from as how they got to where they are when I just cleared out that area. Pretty sure the answer is 'videogame'.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
So, sidequests:

I found Kevin's wedding ring, but he doesn't give me any quest at this point. Did I have to do it before the cargo bay defense event?

I also didn't get Mixed Signals, despite having encountered (and downed) 3 Nightmares at this point. Does the quest only trigger if you draw Nightmares by using Typhon powers?

e: Also, did anyone encounter (and solve) a bug where Kirk Remmer doesn't appear? Apparently he's supposed to be phantomified, but I've only seen generic phantoms when exploring the area where he's supposed to be. Using the crew locator just fails and his status is ----. Apparently the theory is that this happens when you recycle phantomified crew?

Jan fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 14, 2017

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I think suit repair kits should be accessible from the quick menu, along with medkits, hypos, and food.

Ktan
Apr 15, 2012

Careful.
We don't want to learn from this.
Let me start by saying that I loved Prey. It has some minor issues that will hopefully get ironed out (no NG+, I lost a half upgraded stun gun due to some inventory glitch, texture loading on PS4, etc). Even with these issues, this is the front runner for my GOTY. Great entry into the immersive sim genre. Please Arkane, make some DLC and/or a sequel!!

While I thought the ending was a bit abrupt and could have been presented in a more cinematic fashion, I found the story gripping and intriguing, even the ending.

I do have a couple story questions though (spoilers):

In the simulation at the beginning, I don't understand how Morgan is 'living' on Earth. It seems that they somehow reset his memory each uninstallation to a time before he even arrived on Talos I. How? The neuromods were developed on Talos I when he was there. I don't see how they could have installed one of his first mods so that the memory start point prior to modification was a pre-Talos experience.

Next, just to clarify, the Typhon outbreak starts by the mimic jumping out of your brain when you are looking at the Rorschach test during the intro, right? How do Phantoms start getting made though? I thought only weavers can make them from corpses and the only weaver was in containment on the Russian satellite at first. I guess a bunch of mimics could sting each other to make a new weaver but only one comes out of your brain.

Finally, I assumed initially that the real way the Talos I incident played out was that Morgan set off the nullwave device. How else would Alex still be alive? If you destroy the station Alex dies because you can't get him on the shuttle with you, Dahl, and friends. This made me think the coral enveloped Earth buildings were just a product of mankind mastering the Typhon ecology (and this meshes with the ascension dialogue from Alex post nullwave about mankind starting to become immortal).

Serf
May 5, 2011

So I just finished the game, doing a human-only/save-everyone run. Thoughts on the ending: right now I hate it. I accidentally did the Who is December quest halfway through and figured out what was going on but I hoped that the game was going to throw me a curveball. No such luck, I sussed out that you are a typhon early on during one of the very stupid hallucination scenes and the text logs about trying to implant human stuff into typhons immediately tipped me off. I did the ending both ways, and the cutscene that plays is terrible either way, too short and it basically tells you nothing. Then I did the post-credits sequence both ways and neither of them really struck me as interesting. I was gonna dive right back in and do a typhon-only run but nah, I think I'll wait a while for the sting of this terrible ending to dull a bit.

Overall though, great game. It is the successor to System Shock that I've always wanted, and is probably the best game of 2017 so far.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Okay so I hate jump scares and the mimics are alright on that regard, especially now that I have the psychoscope. However, I wanna thank the thread for giving me forewarning on looking glass calibration. Are there any other gratuitous, scripted jump scares like that in the game?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Ktan posted:

I do have a couple story questions though (spoilers):

In the simulation at the beginning, I don't understand how Morgan is 'living' on Earth. It seems that they somehow reset his memory each uninstallation to a time before he even arrived on Talos I. How? The neuromods were developed on Talos I when he was there. I don't see how they could have installed one of his first mods so that the memory start point prior to modification was a pre-Talos experience.

The email you get from your brother right when you wake up says to install this first neuromod he sent along with your suit right when you get it, so you can be ready for your first day at work doing testing. If past Morgan did that, it explains why they have to back up allllllll the way to Earth. That neuromod isn't in your sim because they're trying to analyze you, etc etc, but it was part of your memories leading up to that point so they have to include the references to it.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I hope if Arkane makes a sequel, it will ignore the stupid epilogue and the flashbacks. (edit: did I really need to spoiler this part?)

OK, lore bit There are some audiologs and books that talk about an event known as "the Evacuation". From what I can piece together it was some sort of grey goo disaster connected to Recycler technology somehow, which is why Recyclers are restricted to use in space. Any thoughts?

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 14, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Antti posted:

Okay so I hate jump scares and the mimics are alright on that regard, especially now that I have the psychoscope. However, I wanna thank the thread for giving me forewarning on looking glass calibration. Are there any other gratuitous, scripted jump scares like that in the game?

Taking the elevator from the lobby to the arboretum for the first time

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Kurzon posted:

I hope if Arkane makes a sequel, it will ignore the stupid epilogue and the flashbacks.

The ending totally lets them do whatever the hell they want with Prey 2 though. Like, you could be Actual Morgan, or you could be on Earth during the Typhon Invasion, or you could (my personal hypothesis) be on the moon where the survivors of the Typhon Invasion are, trying to retake Earth with the modified Morgan-Typhon hybrid.

I am one of the people that really liked the ending though.

e: re Recyclers Yeah I think that's plausible but I'm not sure how exactly it shakes out, I think there's just the three text logs referring to it and nothing more. It's another of those "could totally be explored in the sequel" things.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Kurzon posted:

I hope if Arkane makes a sequel, it will ignore the stupid epilogue and the flashbacks. (edit: did I really need to spoiler this part?)

OK, lore bit There are some audiologs and books that talk about an event known as "the Evacuation". From what I can piece together it was some sort of grey goo disaster connected to Recycler technology somehow, which is why Recyclers are restricted to use in space. Any thoughts?

Talked about this a few pages back, not even in spoiler tags since it's background stuff. The Evacuation Day was almost certainly a grey goo disaster - related to recycler tech probably - that took place in Israel (narrator is a woman who drove a M35 for the military, mandatory military service for women, Hebrew name).

Lakbay posted:

Taking the elevator from the lobby to the arboretum for the first time

Thank you!

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
It isn't necessary for Prey 2 to be a continuation of Prey 1's story. They can do what the Final Fantasy and Zelda series generally do: a sequel which has the same themes and mechanics but isn't bound by continuity. We're happy to call this game "System Shock 3" even though SHODAN is nowhere to be seen. So why must we have Typhons and the Yu siblings?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Kurzon posted:

It isn't necessary for Prey 2 to be a continuation of Prey 1's story. They can do what the Final Fantasy and Zelda series generally do: a sequel which has the same themes and mechanics but isn't bound by continuity. We're happy to call this game "System Shock 3" even though SHODAN is nowhere to be seen. So why must we have Typhons and the Yu siblings?

Well, the game does end on something resembling a cliffhanger.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I finished the game.

Everybody survived which I was surprised with. I managed to somehow do all the sidequests except for the 2 treasure hunts, solved the cook quest, met Danielle as well.

I did both endings where you destroy the station and activate the nullwave and then the couple permutations where you manage to escape(using Alex's private escape pod) / die and then shake Alex's hand/kill them all. It was cool that presumably because I focused on typhon powers Morgan's body was completely made of typhon. I imagine that with a human powers-only walkthrough Morgan's body would be human (maybe). Also for the first ending I didn't go to the power plant and straight for the null-wave device and Alex+January had a completely different dialogue at a different place at the bridge than when for the second ending I went to the power plant first. There were different crew dialogues as well...loving neat. Definitely the right lessons taken from Dishonored.

IMO the ending was...ok. I felt that it was mainly lacking in exposition as after that whole final sequence there should have really been something more meaty there. Even if it would have been done in-engine or something - a 2 second view of an explotion doesn't cut it so I get some people's frustration. The after-credits scene is there of course but it already takes you out of the game so there should have been some more umph to the main story. When it comes to the idea itself I don't see a problem - I thought it was within the confines of the narrative created by the game. Certainly it's not bad to the point that some reviewers felt it was necessary to point out how bad the ending is before people even play, imo.

Overall this is a kick-rear end game. The gameplay variety is great, in the end I just kept machine-minding and mind-jacking enemies against each other and watched them fight. To me the strongest story beats were the side-quests - especially piecing together Danielle's story from various e-mails, audiologs and activities which was a little Gone Home within the game. Some of the stories are so interwined and conclude in such different places and times in the game and are told by telling, showing and hinting that it's really impressive on the scale of the entire gaming medium.

For example you read some e-mails and listen to audiologs about people planning to hide in cargo containers, then way later you find bodies in some of those that didn't make it and then waaay later you save a guy floating in a container outside the station who turns out to be an important NPC. This is really difficult to do and this game is flooded with stuff like that, hats off to Arkane for all this detail and nuance. The station feels actually lived-in, for real this time, really real. I loved that saving crew members opened up entire storylines and quests involving them and when you saved for example both Igwe and Mikhaila they had actually meaningful discussions with one another.

Also outside of doing something outlandish for the secret ending I can imagine it being something like going pure human and at the same time killing no typhons and saving everybody. I don't see that taking months though so it's probably wrong.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 14, 2017

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Palpek, talking about gameplay reminded me of how similarly-yet-differently things went on both my all-Human and all-Typhon playthroughs. Broadly speaking for both, the first third was survival "oh god I'm outgunned," the second third was "hell yeah I'm getting pretty powerful," and then the last third was "gently caress engaging with these guys I can just zoom past because I'm super-fast (as a human) or can mind-control (as a typhon).

I was also really impressed at how they balanced your HP management for the Human or Typhon runs. Human gets a fuckoff huge HP pool and huge boosts from medkits. Typhon have a tiny HP pool but you get regeneration and damage resistance (also regen plus gain-psi-from-environmental-damage means you can sit in fire and get free psi at the cost of some suit which is hilarious to me). Both runs felt about the same to me in terms of difficulty so hats off to Arkane for balancing them both really well.

I can only assume this means that on my third playthrough where I go human AND typhon, I can be an unstoppable tanky juggernaut.

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 14, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

That's cool, I imagine that abilities previously luckluster become useful when you have to resign from half of them. It's great that they somewhat made it possible.

Also somebody should capture those little intermission (memory) cutscenes and post them frame-by-frame. I swear that I've seen some interesting stuff there like a planet/moon exploding but it's hard to tell or remember when it's just a millisecond.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

overdesigned posted:

I can only assume this means that on my third playthrough where I go human AND typhon, I can be an unstoppable tanky juggernaut.

Yeah, pretty much. Honestly, I feel like this is my only real complaint about the game, after about the halfway point you feel more like predator than prey.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Mymla posted:

Yeah, pretty much. Honestly, I feel like this is my only real complaint about the game, after about the halfway point you feel more like predator than prey.

All those "The Nightmare is hunting you!" messages make for a good laugh though. Two and a half minutes to hide find where it is an ruthlessly murder it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ktan posted:

Next, just to clarify, the Typhon outbreak starts by the mimic jumping out of your brain when you are looking at the Rorschach test during the intro, right? How do Phantoms start getting made though? I thought only weavers can make them from corpses and the only weaver was in containment on the Russian satellite at first. I guess a bunch of mimics could sting each other to make a new weaver but only one comes out of your brain.

There are audio logs and emails about people doing things like plugging in a fuse and it falling apart into black goo well before the "outbreak". There were a shitload of mimics all over the place. The mimic just happened to be nearby and decide to attack somebody. I don't think it came out of Morgan's head and then somehow go through the glass without breaking it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Also anybody entered that I.T. department's stash?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Antti posted:

The med bay in the Power Plant. When you open the door, be ready.

Palpek posted:

I finished the game.

It was cool that presumably because I focused on typhon powers Morgan's body was completely made of typhon. I imagine that with a human powers-only walkthrough Morgan's body would be human (maybe).

I can confirm that I did an all-human playthrough and you are still totally all-typhon at the end. I don't think you play as Morgan at all in this game. You are some kind of captured typhon and they're testing a sort of reverse neuromod on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I liked that some benches in Arboretum have plaques and one of them is in the memory of JFK and he lived like a hundred years (I don't remember exactly though).