Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FreudianSlippers posted:

I got Alan Wake but my ancient and weak graphics card doesn't work well with it. I can play but just barely. I ripped out and replaced everything else a couple of years ago but I think I should do the same with it because the game looks like it's extremely my poo poo.

You really want good graphics settings for Alan Wake, because lighting is a major part of the gameplay and story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yeah it ran but the framerate was really inconsistent and the textures janky so I quit and won't play it again until I upgrade. I was planning on updating anyway but now I have even more of an excuse.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

GlyphGryph posted:

What other horror games that focus on you playing as the monster and killing all the victims before they can escape? I know several have that for pvp or as a side thing, but as the main campaign portion of a game?
does manhunt count for this

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Is there more to Alan Wake than a Luigi's Mansion-esque crawl through spoopy woods filled with creppy rednecks?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

Is there more to Alan Wake than a Luigi's Mansion-esque crawl through spoopy woods filled with creppy rednecks?

Yes.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

probably the first time i've ever seen the word redneck used for the game alan wake

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the moment when one of the possessed farmers yells out several lines about cow statistics is one of the hardest laughs i've had with a game

Relin fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 14, 2017

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Relin posted:

the moment when one of the possessed farmers yells out several lines about cow statistics is one of the hardest laughs i've had with a game

The game manages to perfectly hit that Stephen King zone between utterly stupid and absurd and actually kinda spooky, its p dope

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Probably the worst part about Alan Wake is that you do spend a lot of time in forests. You get a change of scenery, but not till near the end of the game. Fortunately, its pretty cool.

The DLCs are dope as gently caress as well, and American Nightmare is pretty good too. Buy it all.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the black husserl posted:

The game manages to perfectly hit that Stephen King zone between utterly stupid and absurd and actually kinda spooky, its p dope

yeah, it's goofy as hell in a lot of ways but it goes along with it and plays it off pretty well. not a lot of games can do that in a good way and still manage to have good atmosphere

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

GlyphGryph posted:

What other horror games that focus on you playing as the monster and killing all the victims before they can escape? I know several have that for pvp or as a side thing, but as the main campaign portion of a game?

The Batman: Arkham Asylum games, only without the killing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Relin posted:

My favorite is the logger that screams how he wants meat and potatoes, not salad.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
"CHAINSAWS ARE NOISY!!!"

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

the black husserl posted:

Dissenting opinion, Alan Wake wasn't very scary or spooky or good. The base game is just a hair above all right until about the end. The two DLC episodes are better though, and American Nightmare was pretty good if just because Mr. Scratch is a much more interesting antagonist than the one in the base game. But I was never a fan of Bag of Bones so take that for what you will.

Four dollars is still very much worth it though for the whole thing.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Yeah, I played the base game through and I just found it very O K and not a whole lot more. Not very spoopy, not very engaging, combat is super repetitive and tedious.

I dunno, maybe some of you might enjoy it but I thought it wasn't really worth the time.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Relin posted:

does manhunt count for this

Well you're kind of forced to at that point. Are you still a monster when everyone else is also a psychopath that wants to kill to progress?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Alan Wake is kind if like Dead Space for me in tenseness. They did a really good job of making the light feel like your only friend.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

please do not slander Luigi's Mansion in this way

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Johnny Joestar posted:

probably the first time i've ever seen the word redneck used for the game alan wake

How is this possible?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

How is this possible?

It takes place in the Pacific Northwest. The lumberjacks are more likely to have Canadian "burly beard man in flannel" stereotypes than "Yee-haw" stereotypes applied to them.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

It takes place in the Pacific Northwest. The lumberjacks are more likely to have Canadian "burly beard man in flannel" stereotypes than "Yee-haw" stereotypes applied to them.

They're Americans with gun racks on their pickup trucks, big belt buckles, and trucker hats. They're also generally clean shaven. If their hats said "Tim Horton's", I might concede your point, but redneckishness is non regional.

Also yee haw is more cowboy or hillbilly than redneck, but it's by no means exclusive.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I like the guys that scream "PHYSICAL LABOR" while they chase you with an axe

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.
Please a yeehaw is cowboy while a git r done is redneck.

I've started playing The Swapper. I've heard some people describe it as horror. How much truth is there to that?

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Coco Rodreguiz posted:

I've started playing The Swapper. I've heard some people describe it as horror. How much truth is there to that?

It's kind of existential horror; They examine the Swap mechanic more deeply than they do at the beginning, and there's a delightfully upsetting twist at the end that's a pretty horrible situation to be in. I don't really remember any jump scares or anything though.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It's a freaky world and the story has horror elements to it. but, you know. nothing is horror/everything is horror

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
People should just enjoy the Swapper for being a lovely, compact puzzler with a good story and some nice philosophical questions behind it. I think at most it's got one 'grisly' scene near the end and you can miss it entirely if you aren't paying attention.

It kinda makes me wonder, has there been a good gimmicky horror based platformer? Like I know there was Magrunner but I heard that was also terrible (even though it's easy to sell me on Portal meets Cthulhu).

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Eversion :unsmigghh:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

So thinking about Bioshock now that Prey is out, I think a real missed opportunity in the Shock series is not showing your corpse every time you resurrect. I remember a few short stories I read a few years ago that were all about people body swapping with healthy clones. However the point of view didn't change so they were trapped in these crippled bodies while their new form was seemingly doing this infinitely.

Tangentially the Siren series is the only game I can think of that gives you this out of body experience where you're controlling an avatar but also seeing through the eyes of the AI monsters. And it's really neat but also a completely unexplored narrative.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jukebox Hero posted:

It's kind of existential horror; They examine the Swap mechanic more deeply than they do at the beginning, and there's a delightfully upsetting twist at the end that's a pretty horrible situation to be in. I don't really remember any jump scares or anything though.

Is the twist the teleportation suicide problem?

Bogart posted:

Eversion :unsmigghh:

I really wish someone would revisit Eversion's core mechanic in a new game.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

A.o.D. posted:

Is the twist the teleportation suicide problem?

That's only a twist if you ignore the obvious foreshadowing. There's another one.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

discworld is all I read posted:

People should just enjoy the Swapper for being a lovely, compact puzzler with a good story and some nice philosophical questions behind it. I think at most it's got one 'grisly' scene near the end and you can miss it entirely if you aren't paying attention.

It kinda makes me wonder, has there been a good gimmicky horror based platformer? Like I know there was Magrunner but I heard that was also terrible (even though it's easy to sell me on Portal meets Cthulhu).

cue puzzle where you have to die 50 times so you have enough bodies to make a corpse stairway so you can climb over a wall

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Coco Rodreguiz posted:

They're in the same boat, one is just a "classier" redneck.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The big twist of The Swapper is that at the end of the game a small Hispanic girl shows up and stops everything by shouting "SWAPPER NO SWAPPING!!"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I thought rednecks were southerners, hillbillies Appalachians, and cowboys were men who drove cattle for a living and looked large in the culture as the embodiment of American values because of their association with Manifest Destiny and the frontier as mythicized in countless western.

Not sure where the Pacific Northwesterners fit in.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

FreudianSlippers posted:

I thought rednecks were southerners, hillbillies Appalachians, and cowboys were men who drove cattle for a living and looked large in the culture as the embodiment of American values because of their association with Manifest Destiny and the frontier as mythicized in countless western.

Rugged but fairly friendly lumberjacks. Or hippies. Sorta Canada-lite.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

catlord posted:

Rugged but fairly friendly lumberjacks. Or hippies. Sorta Canada-lite.

So like this?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Also cryptozooology, Cascadian separatism, and rain.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Redneck is just “reactionary, working-class white person.” America is a country where 97% of the land is rural and votes red but 60% of the population lives in a coastal city. Anyone who has been to hipster havens Seattle or Portland knows that as soon as you leave 5 miles outside of the city you’re in the backwoods nowhere with more cows than people. The only difference between rednecks by region is that once you cross the Mason Dixon you trade in the stars-and-bars for the Gadsden flag.

The two old metal heads in Alan Wake are what you would call northern rednecks.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

al-azad posted:

Redneck is just “reactionary, working-class white person.” America is a country where 97% of the land is rural and votes red but 60% of the population lives in a coastal city. Anyone who has been to hipster havens Seattle or Portland knows that as soon as you leave 5 miles outside of the city you’re in the backwoods nowhere with more cows than people. The only difference between rednecks by region is that once you cross the Mason Dixon you trade in the stars-and-bars for the Gadsden flag.

The two old metal heads in Alan Wake are what you would call northern rednecks Norse Gods.

Fixed that for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

Think of rednecks as cosmopolitan, but not metropolitan* in distribution.

*notable exceptions do apply.