Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

just curious - have you been complaining about the same job itt for 3 1/2 years now?

5. I swear I have the tenacity of a bulldog biting on someone because nothing good has come ny way thus far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

just curious - have you been complaining about the same job itt for 3 1/2 years now?

That's sorta what this thread is for isn't it, a proving ground for Einstein's saying about insanity?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

gyrobot posted:

5. I swear I have the tenacity of a bulldog biting on someone because nothing good has come ny way thus far.

Get a different loving job.

Seriously, if you've got 5 years of experience and can't walk into another place and walk out with a first shift time, you're in the wrong industry.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
On a totally unrelated subject, my wife and I are discussing moving from the south bay to downtown LA when our lease is up. We have spent the past few weekends wandering around down there and looking at places. I dig it a lot because it has the stuff we enjoy doing all around without needing to drive to it.

On the other hand, it's really loud and there are a fuckton of whacko homeless people.

We would have to downsize to get a place there. Which is probably good since o have too much poo poo. But man it's a big change.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Errant Gin Monks posted:

On a totally unrelated subject, my wife and I are discussing moving from the south bay to downtown LA when our lease is up. We have spent the past few weekends wandering around down there and looking at places. I dig it a lot because it has the stuff we enjoy doing all around without needing to drive to it.

On the other hand, it's really loud and there are a fuckton of whacko homeless people.

We would have to downsize to get a place there. Which is probably good since o have too much poo poo. But man it's a big change.

just quit doing cool things, and invest all your money in Magic: The Gathering.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Mezzanon posted:

just quit doing cool things, and invest all your money in Magic: The Gathering.

This plan has merit. But I already have like 20k magic cards.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This plan has merit. But I already have like 20k magic cards.

Step one: complete.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So who's ready for Mother's Day morning service!

I am! :nutshot:

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I thank whatever gods will listen that my club is closed on Sundays. Saturday night is going to blow with 3 private dinners and a 100+ memorial service plus regular a la carte.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

iospace posted:

Mother's Day is a weird one. Is it basically any restaurant? For some reason I feel like all the chain places get killed.

I know Father's Day it's steak houses and ribs and poo poo.

gently caress. Maybe every place just gets busy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Man and his dog posted:

Mother's Day is a weird one. Is it basically any restaurant? For some reason I feel like all the chain places get killed.

I know Father's Day it's steak houses and ribs and poo poo.

gently caress. Maybe every place just gets busy.
It's most places because the really obvious one's are so busy the other people think they're being clever by getting sushi or whatever.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I wonder if strip clubs see a slump on Mothers' Day.

Crawford
Jul 8, 2010

iospace posted:

I never post, but I'm incredibly pleased that my last brunch service at my current place will be the busiest one I ever have to endure.
It's like smoking the whole carton to prove to yourself how bad cigarettes are for you.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
My place is closed every Sunday, I never have to do brunch.

Except for Mother's Day. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

this is gonna be fun, doing eggs with 2 nonstick pans in my entire restaurant. gonna put poached on every loving dish, gently caress 'em

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Non-stick pans? What are you, afraid of butter? :P

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

iospace posted:

They took me off Sundays so gently caress all y'all. :v:

Knowing me I'll be out back on for just Sunday that turns out to be super lovely and I make no money!

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

Non-stick pans? What are you, afraid of butter? :P

And my not-nonstick pans are from before I started when the dishwashers apparently washed everything with a rusty nail and a hammer. There's no way to make eggs not break in them.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Have you tried yelling at them? I yell for all of brunch. Idk if it helps or not but I feel better

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Naelyan posted:

And my not-nonstick pans are from before I started when the dishwashers apparently washed everything with a rusty nail and a hammer. There's no way to make eggs not break in them.

Now that is miserable.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Hi thread,

I was 300 posts behind. It's been awhile I am sorry. I am planning a brunch for a dozen friends and they're all astonished at how I don't want any help and that I can do it all myself without worrying.

My past career has become a party trick.

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
Well, going on six days now that we've been closed cause of flooding. I haven't been off work this many days in a row since before I started working jfc

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Naelyan posted:

You can't just buy a couple new pans?

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thoht posted:

You can't just buy a couple new pans?

I mean, I can, but they're perfectly adequate for what I normally use them for and even an extra $40 just for a stupid brunch (this is literally the first brunch we've ever done, I'm going to try really hard to not ever do another) seems like a waste.

If it becomes a regular thing, then yes. I can buy new pans.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Are you using any fat? imo the reason to use nonstick is if it's nonstick enough for an egg. Otherwise you're just using something scratched/burnt/worn to poo poo and would be better served with cast iron or carbon steel.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah man. I've been cooking eggs for a bit of time now, I can usually handle them. My not-nonstick pans are hosed to the point of unless I'm oil poaching an egg in them, there's no way they're usable (for eggs).

This has gone on a really long derail. I'm touched that you're all so concerned about my pan situation.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Naelyan posted:

Yeah man. I've been cooking eggs for a bit of time now, I can usually handle them. My not-nonstick pans are hosed to the point of unless I'm oil poaching an egg in them, there's no way they're usable (for eggs).

This has gone on a really long derail. I'm touched that you're all so concerned about my pan situation.

Pans are important man. We just want you to be alright.

RG3 2.0
May 11, 2017

by Smythe
Jesus Christ.

We talking about cooking eggs.

:allbuttons:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Ah great my Sunday off got cancelled so I can run a 10 am open shift on Mother's Day. After working until 3 am Saturday night.

:v:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mezzanon posted:

Ah great my Sunday off got cancelled so I can run a 10 am open shift on Mother's Day. After working until 3 am Saturday night.

:suicide:

You used the wrong emote.

I'm doing 2pm-10pm tomorrow and 8am-2pm in the morning sunday.

hrolfr
Aug 9, 2006
Do you think it comes in, like... cherry-gina?
Sat 3:30 pm - 12 am
Sun 8:30 am - 5 pm

Make this brunch hell stop.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

RG3 2.0 posted:

Jesus Christ.

We talking about cooking eggs.

:allbuttons:

It's the mother's day insanity setting in.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I expect at least 1 one meltdown either during or after this weekend. We will console you, don't worry.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
I'm on my way to Florida, just for the day, to cook my mom's Mother's Day brunch myself. While drinking champagne. Because I can.

Get out of the industry or become the owning class.

Xoxo,
bgt

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

bloody ghost titty posted:

I'm on my way to Florida, just for the day, to cook my mom's Mother's Day brunch myself. While drinking champagne. Because I can.

Get out of the industry or become the owning class.

Xoxo,
bgt

are you suggesting people in this thread should own a restaurant? because i thought we were trying to set people on the path to success, not humiliating failure

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Naelyan posted:

Pretty much any pan can be made nonstick with a good seasoning.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

iospace posted:

You used the wrong emote.

I'm doing 2pm-10pm tomorrow and 8am-2pm in the morning sunday.

lol nobody communicated this weekend and we now have more reservations than we have tables. gently caress my dead gay life.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Anyone ever hear of people stealing nitrogen tanks from beer systems? Apparently ours vanished a couple days ago. It wasn't locked as far as I know but it was kept in the building's basement/garage so it wasn't an area the general public would frequent. I'm just wondering why anyone would take it.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Mezzanon posted:

lol nobody communicated this weekend and we now have more reservations than we have tables. gently caress my dead gay life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgjaeHGi9IA

(this video runs through my internal monologue at least four times in a given week)

Republicans posted:

Anyone ever hear of people stealing nitrogen tanks from beer systems? Apparently ours vanished a couple days ago. It wasn't locked as far as I know but it was kept in the building's basement/garage so it wasn't an area the general public would frequent. I'm just wondering why anyone would take it.

IDK about the nitrogen specifically, except for nitro brews like what you were using it for, but pressurized tanks ain't cheap and if you just had one laying around I can think of a few uses for one.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Willie Tomg posted:

but pressurized tanks ain't cheap and if you just had one laying around I can think of a few uses for one.

Other than whippets?

:350:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Republicans posted:

Note to self, cheap way to get a nitro set up in my kegerator.

• Locked thread