Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
My GMail app has stopped loading images / attachments on my Pixel XL. Anyone else gotten this recently? Seems to have happened after the May patch.

I'm also running DNS66, but I turned it off and that didn't help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

My GMail app has stopped loading images / attachments on my Pixel XL. Anyone else gotten this recently? Seems to have happened after the May patch.

I seem to rmemeber that being a known issue with DNS66 in the brief time I used it. Sorry I can't offer more help. Maybe see if they show up in the Inbox app?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'd like to remind myself to do a task a few times a day at specified times. What's the easiest way to set this up?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hooah posted:

I'd like to remind myself to do a task a few times a day at specified times. What's the easiest way to set this up?

You could set a daily repeating task on Google Calendar at each time, and set them to provide a notification as their time comes up. Nearly all phones will already have the Calender app installed anyway.

When setting up the events, you can even tell it to only occur on certain days of the week if you need that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
That's exactly what I do to remind myself to take my medicine in the morning, to take out the garbage on Wednesdays, and to submit my time sheet at the end of the week.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, that's what I first thought of, just wondering if there's anything that's better.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I like using Any.do for reminders, personally. When a task comes up it notifies you and brings up a prompt so you can mark it as completed or postpone it for 15/30/60 minutes or even the next day. Makes remembering whatever a bit easier since it draws the prompt on top of whatever you were last doing, rather than just a notification. There's also Moment, which you have to pay for, that'll go off at a specified time each morning and round up all your tasks and ask you when that day you'd like it to remind you to do them.

There's apparently another app they made that'll let it hook into Google calendar, but I haven't really looked into it yet.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

It is 100% DNS66 because I use it too. You have to pause it or turn it off, then try re-downloading attachments; should work with 1-2 tries.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
Hey, back with another dumb question about Text Messages.
I'm switching carriers to save some cash. Whats the best method to transfer Text Threads to another phone? I see that Google is telling me to just go install some rando 3rd party app to do this, which just kinda seems shady. I don't even have anything important I'd be worried about someone "stealing", I just want to know if there's anything you guys recommend.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Sms Backup+

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I have had good experiences with this, includes MMS backup as well

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...%3Dappbrain_web

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

WeX Majors posted:

Hey, back with another dumb question about Text Messages.
I'm switching carriers to save some cash. Whats the best method to transfer Text Threads to another phone? I see that Google is telling me to just go install some rando 3rd party app to do this, which just kinda seems shady. I don't even have anything important I'd be worried about someone "stealing", I just want to know if there's anything you guys recommend.

Sms backup, Samsung smartswitch if you're moving between Samsung phones. Motorola had a migration tool, but last I heard they had killed it off for unknown reasons.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

St_Ides posted:

MagicPlan is the one I remember. Stanley also makes a floor planning one.

Search for MagicPlan on the play Store and you'll find lots of options. I used one to make a floor plan once. Worked well enough. I wouldn't use it for construction, but for visualization it works.

Trip report: MagicPlan works pretty great, thanks! I'm sure the dimensions aren't perfect, but it's a good way to get a general idea of the size and layouts of rooms in a house I'm moving into soon.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
My WiFi has used 24% of my battery since last charge. Is that... Normal? I don't think I've ever seen that before

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Drunk Tomato posted:

My WiFi has used 24% of my battery since last charge. Is that... Normal? I don't think I've ever seen that before

It's fun to have a pocket device where you can get apps to fight with each other to tell you who is loving with the battery life/usability of your phone

Literally seeing "phone.apk has used 10% of your battery life click here to disable it"

drat these obscure TSRs consuming the battery life how they do

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I got a google .apk of phone that is a slight improvement over the default but sarnsung locks this thing down tight and all I can do is literally change the shortcut built in to my wallpaper from phone.apk to the other one, phone.apk. Now it has lovely material design and a favorites list of people to call that looks like windows 8

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
For me it's all about the exciting experience but as phones go, traditionally, this is bad behavior.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
Anybody else unable to see saved playlists in the Youtube app? I can see them on desktop but they're not displaying at all on the app or the mobile site.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

The uTorrent app just made me watch a video to exit...

Are there any recommended torrent apps? I don't torrent to my phone often but it's always nice to be able to share files legally

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

What was that authenticator app that could save backups to Google Drive? It wasn't Authy, but I forget the name of it

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CLAM DOWN posted:

What was that authenticator app that could save backups to Google Drive? It wasn't Authy, but I forget the name of it

authenticator +

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

authenticator +

Thanks!

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

The Duggler posted:

The uTorrent app just made me watch a video to exit...

Are there any recommended torrent apps? I don't torrent to my phone often but it's always nice to be able to share files legally

Flud

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.delphicoder.flud

There are ads but I've never seen a video ad, and never been forced to experience an ad to use it.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Budgie posted:

Flud

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.delphicoder.flud

There are ads but I've never seen a video ad, and never been forced to experience an ad to use it.

Sweet! Thanks!

Based on the reviews I'm not the only one put off by the amount of ads in uTorrent

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Any recommendations for an SMS/messaging app? I'm getting quite annoyed due to the fact that half my friends use WhatsApp, a quarter of them use Hangouts, and a quarter use SMS. Now that Hangouts doesn't do SMS anymore, I'm stuck having to toggle between 3 different apps all for the same purpose of general text messaging. Are there any apps that can consolidate these systems? Regardless, any recommended SMS app to replace Hangouts would be useful.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Ornithology posted:

Any recommendations for an SMS/messaging app? I'm getting quite annoyed due to the fact that half my friends use WhatsApp, a quarter of them use Hangouts, and a quarter use SMS. Now that Hangouts doesn't do SMS anymore, I'm stuck having to toggle between 3 different apps all for the same purpose of general text messaging. Are there any apps that can consolidate these systems? Regardless, any recommended SMS app to replace Hangouts would be useful.

The only combo app that I am aware of is Facebook Messenger, which I believe can do SMS as well as Facebook messaging (don't know first hand, never used it myself).

For SMS apps, either Android Messages (made by Google--didn't this used to be called Google Messages?) or Textra. Textra is more customizable, but I find the basic Messages app to do just fine for me.

Edit: and yes, the fractured state of messaging on Android is stupid as hell. It is a frequent (and justified) area of complaint in this and other Android threads.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ornithology posted:

There is no fix for what you're talking about. Textra looks nice.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

incogneato posted:

Android Messages (made by Google--didn't this used to be called Google Messages?)

It used to be called Messenger.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

syscall girl posted:

There is no fix for what you're talking about. Textra looks nice.

Well, Disa is a thing. It's also kind of janky, but it's in beta (and has been in beta forever). I think it does hangouts as well as WhatsApp as well as sms?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Ornithology posted:

Devil's advocate here, but why not just switch everyone to WhatsApp?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

jokes posted:

Well, Disa is a thing. It's also kind of janky, but it's in beta (and has been in beta forever). I think it does hangouts as well as WhatsApp as well as sms?

iirc hangouts/messenger are xmpp so pidgin could always get your hangouts for you and still do except they have to use a web protocol now and will not have access to your old convos like g hangouts

and there's an android pidgin or three out there but it feels like a step backwards

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FunOne posted:

Someone has to win this fight and it's sure as poo poo not goog

so why not

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

syscall girl posted:

Someone has to win this fight and it's sure as poo poo not goog

so why not

I'm a good Google fanboy, but WhatsApp has the people and an active development cycle. Allo is ...ok. Hangouts is effectively abandoned. So, why not an E2E encrypted messenger with a huge footprint and new features added regularly. With desktop and web support.

I mean, it works.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FunOne posted:

why not an E2E encrypted messenger

don't try to sell it that way, friend

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FunOne posted:

Lol at getting other people to switch messaging apps.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FunOne posted:

If it were that easy, everyone would already be on it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Lol at getting other people to switch messaging apps.

Every app has a click here to learn more part where they imply that all the cool kids are doing it

Look at these numbers!

Those sure are numbers, now let me engage my irl friends in a discussion about texting software

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

fishmech posted:

If it were that easy, everyone would already be on it.

A lot of places in the world are, North American is just technologically backwater as poo poo

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yep, basically everyone I know uses fb messenger or whatsapp in Brexit land

I get a text now and again from my boss, thats really it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I've managed to shrink everything down to Facebook for people I have a "real name" connection with, Discord for people I'd rather know as a pseudonym, and basic SMS texting for those one or two people who refuse to use either.

If they're really committed to Allo, Google needs to kill Hangouts already. But "commitment" is the heart of the problem with Google's messaging strategy.