Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Not saying it's not, but that looks way more like a MiG-21. You can even see the pitot sticking out of the nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Not saying it's not, but that looks way more like a MiG-21. You can even see the pitot sticking out of the nose.
Yeah, that's definitely not a Viggen tail. Certainly could be a MiG-21 or another one of those very similar Soviet planes.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Now way in gently caress it landed on there unless it's a magic VTOL viggen/Mig21

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

https://www.google.fi/maps/@60.156179,24.9209476,62m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=fi

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

drat it. That would saved me some embarrassment. I'd convinced myself the pitot was the canard and that the tail looked more right than it really did.

I still maintain it landed there though

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ought ten posted:

drat it. That would saved me some embarrassment. I'd convinced myself the pitot was the canard and that the tail looked more right than it really did.

I still maintain it landed there though

1) Hire the God of Pilots
2) Wait for category-5 tornado winds at that building
3)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g189934-d2486408-r333263656-Verkkokauppa_com_Jatkasaari-Helsinki_Uusimaa.html

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The only way it landed there is if an mi-26 dropped it.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

TTerrible posted:

The only way it landed there is if an mi-26 dropped it.

http://i.imgur.com/AEXfKWt.mp4

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ought ten posted:

Apologies for the terrible picture (I need to get a longer lens) but there's a Viggen on the roof of this Helsinki building! Pretty sure it's a VIggen at least. I'm assuming it landed there, considering they were designed to operate off improvised runways.

It's a Mig-21, and the building is a shopping center. You can take an elevator to the roof and see it up close.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Why does the Russian military bother doing poo poo like this?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Arglebargle III posted:

They believed tom Clancy that they could hide from radar by pretending to be trucks

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
When you're like 6 feet off the pavement I wouldn't be surprised if that did work in some cases.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Arglebargle III posted:

For funsies?

At least they aren't landing and asking for directions.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Looks like he's trying to run his nose wheel along the guardrail.

Pilot showing off?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

jaegerx posted:

They believed tom Clancy that they could hide from radar by pretending to be trucks

It wasn't trucks, it was bullet trains in Japan, which is a bit more feasible.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Party Plane Jones posted:

It wasn't trucks, it was bullet trains in Japan, which is a bit more feasible.

Isn't a bullet train significantly larger than a helicopter? Man I have questions that I'm 99% sure are opsec about how that stuff looks on radar.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Play that SAM simulator game and find out for yourself

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Pretty sure the radiation that jstars puts out has already fried the brains of anyone that could talk about it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Flikken posted:

Isn't a bullet train significantly larger than a helicopter? Man I have questions that I'm 99% sure are opsec about how that stuff looks on radar.

The radar return for the helicopters kept popping up and then getting dismissed as ground clutter from bullet trains due to the speed and low return, if I remember right. It wasn't a JSTARs plane, just a souped up E-767.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Flikken posted:

It is not at all an OPSEC issue to say that helicopter rotor movement looks pretty particular to radars.

If you have further questions, please talk to my buddy, mr. :nsa:

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

It's a Mig-21, and the building is a shopping center. You can take an elevator to the roof and see it up close.

Neat. Got any other Helsinki advice?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Arglebargle III posted:

They were loving around. There was an article in some russian English-language newspaper about some this stuff a while back; Russian air force officers saying they're doing "important training" but then it turned out they were just amusing themselves.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ought ten posted:

Neat. Got any other Helsinki advice?
Not really, I just happened to visit it last time I was there. There was also a neat little home computer/game console museum on one of the upper floors in the same building, but I don't know if it's a permanent thing.

If you're looking for a good pub I can recommend St Urho's. https://goo.gl/maps/CZWGpXDFckA2

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Actually from 2015 I guess, but popped up on imgur today (with the wrong info in the title) and worth a post on clarity alone

MILAN vs T-55 in Libya

http://i.imgur.com/vPA5vN7.gifv

EDIT: Didn't realize gifs just directly play like that, gonna leave it but if its loving with anyone's browser let me know.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 15, 2017

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I get the best briefings. Really just the best briefings full of really sensitive information. Want to hear some?

Da, Mr President

Murgos fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 15, 2017

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Murgos posted:

I get the best briefings. Really just the best briefings full of really sensitive information. Want to hear some?

Da.

poo poo is so loving crazy these days I don't even know what to think.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
It's like the SNL skits are more predicting than parodying.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
This is some pro word parsing

quote:

“The president and the foreign minister reviewed common threats from terrorist organizations to include threats to aviation,” said H.R. McMaster, the national security adviser, who participated in the meeting. “At no time were any intelligence sources or methods discussed, and no military operations were disclosed that were not already known publicly.”

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Assad Syrian troops have advanced to within 15 miles of US/Brit special forces in Syria
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/15/syrian-troops-advancing-towards-us-british-special-forces/

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

priznat posted:

With the media hysteria meter permanently dialed up to 11 it's hard to say where it is on the scale from "utterly business as usual" to "totally nuts". Presidents have the authority to disclose anything they want in the national security interest, and they have done so on a daily basis for generations. For that matter, so do a large fraction of the four-digit number of original classification authorities, though only involving the specific classified information under their purviews. This kind of disclosure would only be out of the ordinary if it involved operational sensitivities, which we're not likely to know for sure any time in the next half-century.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Mazz posted:

Actually from 2015 I guess, but popped up on imgur today (with the wrong info in the title) and worth a post on clarity alone

MILAN vs T-55 in Libya

http://i.imgur.com/vPA5vN7.gifv

EDIT: Didn't realize gifs just directly play like that, gonna leave it but if its loving with anyone's browser let me know.

Double posting, but this is a good lesson for drone enthusiasts. This weapon is pretty literally a single-use suicide drone, and while fact it works very well, it shows that the concept is really not a new one. Where drones make the real difference is the ISR that spots the tank in the first place.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
East end of Reno Stead's ramp was pretty Cold War this afternoon:

I'm especially interested as to how a Ukrainian L-39 got here.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Captain von Trapp posted:

With the media hysteria meter permanently dialed up to 11 it's hard to say where it is on the scale from "utterly business as usual" to "totally nuts". Presidents have the authority to disclose anything they want in the national security interest, and they have done so on a daily basis for generations. For that matter, so do a large fraction of the four-digit number of original classification authorities, though only involving the specific classified information under their purviews. This kind of disclosure would only be out of the ordinary if it involved operational sensitivities, which we're not likely to know for sure any time in the next half-century.

True, but this isn't a benefit-of-the-doubt kinda person in a benefit-of-the-doubt kinda situation during a benefit-of-the-doubt kinda administration.

e. vvv both sides....are bad? :aaaaa:

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 16, 2017

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Guest2553 posted:

True, but this isn't a benefit-of-the-doubt kinda person in a benefit-of-the-doubt kinda situation during a benefit-of-the-doubt kinda administration.

We are in an era of such extreme polarization that no one is ever going to receive the benefit of the doubt ever again.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
The Washington Post article I read was pretty explicit that the source was a forgeign shared intel and not to be distributed.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

priznat posted:

I always figured Trump would *accidentally* let something important slip, kinda like Lyndon Johnson and the SR-71

Him having *scheduled loving meetings with America's long term rival* to do so

words, I do not have them

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Captain von Trapp posted:

They may have the authority to disclose whatever they want, but foreign intel agencies also have the authority to tell us to eat a bag of dicks the next time we want to work with them.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I'm hearing rumours it was something to do with the UK so the likelihood of us telling the US to eat a bag of dicks is vanishingly small.

More crumbs from the table master. :britain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Also interesting is that someone high level enough to know details decided they want to talk about it.