Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

vessbot posted:

I'm not following what point you're sarcastically refuting.

He's an idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I'm starting to think the biggest mistake United ever made was to gently caress up majorly, and thus put media attention on all the slightly less than major times they hosed up:

Owners of giant rabbit who died on United flight may sue airline, alleging he froze to death

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

vessbot posted:

I'm not following what point you're sarcastically refuting.

Oh, I misread that and thought the implication was that a live jump was useless.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm starting to think the biggest mistake United ever made was to gently caress up majorly, and thus put media attention on all the slightly less than major times they hosed up:

Owners of giant rabbit who died on United flight may sue airline, alleging he froze to death

Isn't the kicker on that one that United then had the rabbit cremated?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Coffeehitler posted:

That happened.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

My dad used to work for ATA, and this happened all the time. Though usually dogs or cats. They even had a word for it, "pupsicle."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pthighs posted:

My dad used to work for ATA, and this happened all the time. Though usually dogs or cats. They even had a word for it, "pupsicle."

The airlines charge a lot extra for transporting animals too.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ola posted:

That's my previous bedroom window. :) The reason is probably related to the time I internet detectivized Jealous Cow, which still makes me laugh: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3276654&pagenumber=768&perpage=40#post445113910

Didn't have a good view of the sea then, I have since moved. There's few thousand windows facing the Bergen fjord, so it's a bit harder to pin me down this time.

Holy poo poo I forgot about this.

I ended up missing my connection at CPH and booked a different flight back from Oslo, so I went directly back into the airport and caught a low cost flight back to Oslo.

Edit:

I'm in Polaris business class on an old continental 772 on Monday for a 15 hour flight. Excited about the available-the-whole-flight-snack bar.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Coffeehitler posted:

So yet another funny story I heard in days as a baggage handler - this didn't happen to me, but it as best as I can tell it is a true story:

So the story goes that on a cool and blustery autumn day, one of the turnaround crews was offloading an aircraft when the stumbled upon a sight nobody really wants to come across; a pet carrier, in which a very dead cat was making its home. Now being a company who is desperate to avoid any kind of bad PR (and let's face it, having someone's beloved pet croak in your cargo hold is about as bad as it can get day-to-day), the turnaround supervisor, as well as the assistant station manager, hatched a plan. They would go out to the pet store, or to the animal shelter - really, wherever they needed to - and find a cat that was absolutely identical to the one that met their untimely end in the cargo hold. All the while, the station manager would keep stalling until a "hot spare" cat could be found. The lady wjo owned the cat was growing increasingly distraught as one day turned to two, turned to several, when finally, the airline "found" her cat.

Upon reunification, much to the relief of all the staff involved, the lady let out a terrified scream, shouting that "this was not her cat, what in God's name had happened?!". As it turns out, her cat had died while they were on a trip, and she was bringing its remains back home so she could give it a proper, caring send-off. Cue much gnashing of teeth and profuse apologies.

As an aside, the lady did end up adopting the new cat regardless.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MrChips posted:

So yet another funny story I heard in days as a baggage handler - this didn't happen to me, but it as best as I can tell it is a true story:

That's a very old UL.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/gruesome/deadair.asp

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cENfeSFpXf4

I was working one night when a German Shepherd got out of its cage somehow and started tearing the poo poo out of the bulk cargo bay on a 767. The crew was getting spurious APU fire and APU related faults as well as random other messages on approach. It was a real mystery, until the baggage handlers opened the bulk door and this huge wide eyed dog with a mouth full of insulation and wires leapt from the plane and ran off into the darkness (presumably never to be found again). You should have seen what this dog did to the inside of that cargo compartment. Completely tore the poo poo out of everything, including several thick wire bundles (hence all the weird fault messages), and even chewed part way through the APU starter feeder cable. Good thing for the dog the crew wasn't trying to start the APU! We spent days trying to match up and splice together the torn up wiring harness to get it in a condition to ferry the aircraft to YUL where the whole bundle could be replaced.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

First flew 13 May 1949

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

MrChips posted:

So the story goes that on a cool and blustery autumn day, one of the turnaround crews was offloading an aircraft when the stumbled upon a sight nobody really wants to come across; a pet carrier, in which a very dead cat was making its home. Now being a company who is desperate to avoid any kind of bad PR (and let's face it, having someone's beloved pet croak in your cargo hold is about as bad as it can get day-to-day), the turnaround supervisor, as well as the assistant station manager, hatched a plan. They would go out to the pet store, or to the animal shelter - really, wherever they needed to - and find a cat that was absolutely identical to the one that met their untimely end in the cargo hold. All the while, the station manager would keep stalling until a "hot spare" cat could be found. The lady wjo owned the cat was growing increasingly distraught as one day turned to two, turned to several, when finally, the airline "found" her cat.

Upon reunification, much to the relief of all the staff involved, the lady let out a terrified scream, shouting that "this was not her cat, what in God's name had happened?!". As it turns out, her cat had died while they were on a trip, and she was bringing its remains back home so she could give it a proper, caring send-off. Cue much gnashing of teeth and profuse apologies.

:prepop:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MrChips posted:

:catstare:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dogs and cats tear-assing out of cargo holds when the rampers open them isn't an everyday thing, but I saw it twice in four years working at MIA.

I saw people do it four times, so maybe I'm a statistical abberation. :shrug:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I once saw one of those canvas/textile crates come down the baggage ramp, torn to poo poo, with a note that said "the dog is fine" stuck to it. I assume they wouldn't even have sent that down the regular baggage ramp if the dog was still in it, given that I can't recall ever seeing a crated animal come down the regular baggage claim area.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

MrYenko posted:

I saw people do it four times, so maybe I'm a statistical abberation. :shrug:

I saw a normal passenger, complete with wheely hand luggage, walk down the steps and then start hurrying in exactly the opposite direction to everyone else, out towards a live taxiway. I do not have a clue what she was trying to do but she was turned round rapidly.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Platystemon posted:

First flew 13 May 1949

These are a lot bigger in person than I imagined them.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Guys, I just found the worst tangentially-aviation-related job of all time.

WANTED: People to Handle poisonous spiders on a daily basis

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nebakenezzer posted:

A long time ago, I worked at a zoo. Handling spiders is something you can get used to with familiarity, and I mean you can go from ohfuckno/handsareshaking --> nervous, but this is okay if I'm gloved and go slow

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
This is part 3 of my ongoing series on the miserable failure that is the St. Helena Airport. Previous episodes can be found here and here.

Quick recap: The UK Foreign Office Department for International Development (DfID) spent £285.5 million building an airport on an island with ~4,500 inhabitants (around £63,000 per person). After opening it a year ago they discovered it's unusable to 737s due to intense wind shear from the northern approach and high tailwinds from the southern one. Successful test flights have been conducted with an ERJ and a BAe 146 but no contract for service has been awarded. (I assume the route is not profitable without considerable subsidy). In addition, a number of bizjet flights have performed medical evacuations to Cape Town.

The situation recently became much more dire. The RMS St. Helena, the passenger ship that provides the only link with the outside world, broke down and had to be drydocked, missing two scheduled cruises. In consequence, the passengers booked on the ship were flown in by a chartered BAe 146. That aircraft landed on May 3, marking the first time a flight with paying passengers arrived at the island. However there is still no timetable for when scheduled service will begin. I think the ultimate solution here will have to involve a regional jet flying from Johannesburg and stopping for fuel in Windhoek. But we shall see. In the meantime, service is continuing indefinitely with the rickety-rear end ship that, as we have seen, could just poo poo itself at any time.

Anyway, this whole saga got me thinking, and I have a challenge for this thread: find places with permanent civilian populations which are inaccessible to any aircraft that is currently certified for civilian operation, flying out of an airport with scheduled passenger service. So for example places that helicopters can reach from airports with scheduled service don't count. So far I've found the following candidates:
  • Tristan da Cunha
  • Pitcairn Island
Tokelau is a close contender but I'm taken to understand floatplanes like twin otters can land in the islands' lagoons flying out of Samoa.

There may be remote villages in Tibet that qualify; it's pretty high altitude for helicopters and there are few airports thanks to the terrain. Also there are probably barely inhabited Pacific islands I don't know about that count, but most of them seem to have airstrips.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mortabis posted:

This is part 3 of my ongoing series on the miserable failure that is the St. Helena Airport. Previous episodes can be found here and here.

Quick recap: The UK Foreign Office Department for International Development (DfID) spent £285.5 million building an airport on an island with ~4,500 inhabitants (around £63,000 per person). After opening it a year ago they discovered it's unusable to 737s due to intense wind shear from the northern approach and high tailwinds from the southern one. Successful test flights have been conducted with an ERJ and a BAe 146 but no contract for service has been awarded. (I assume the route is not profitable without considerable subsidy). In addition, a number of bizjet flights have performed medical evacuations to Cape Town.

The situation recently became much more dire. The RMS St. Helena, the passenger ship that provides the only link with the outside world, broke down and had to be drydocked, missing two scheduled cruises. In consequence, the passengers booked on the ship were flown in by a chartered BAe 146. That aircraft landed on May 3, marking the first time a flight with paying passengers arrived at the island. However there is still no timetable for when scheduled service will begin. I think the ultimate solution here will have to involve a regional jet flying from Johannesburg and stopping for fuel in Windhoek. But we shall see. In the meantime, service is continuing indefinitely with the rickety-rear end ship that, as we have seen, could just poo poo itself at any time.

Anyway, this whole saga got me thinking, and I have a challenge for this thread: find places with permanent civilian populations which are inaccessible to any aircraft that is currently certified for civilian operation, flying out of an airport with scheduled passenger service. So for example places that helicopters can reach from airports with scheduled service don't count. So far I've found the following candidates:
  • Tristan da Cunha
  • Pitcairn Island
Tokelau is a close contender but I'm taken to understand floatplanes like twin otters can land in the islands' lagoons flying out of Samoa.

There may be remote villages in Tibet that qualify; it's pretty high altitude for helicopters and there are few airports thanks to the terrain. Also there are probably barely inhabited Pacific islands I don't know about that count, but most of them seem to have airstrips.

I've been there, though long before the airport was built. "Inhospitable, isolated shithole" doesn't even begin to describe its physical situation. Once you're actually on the island it's beautiful in a stark sort of way and the people are very friendly, although they all look and sound alike to a disturbing degree.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Mortabis posted:

The Kerguelen Islands sorta fits the bill. Admittedly the people there are 45-100 scientists, but there's no airports at all, and the distance is such from other islands that ships are the only way stuff and people get in.

e: Just off the south coast of Newfoundland there is an island called Ramea with a small community on it. No flights goin' out there (I'm not sure if that counts as if helicopters can do weekly runs to offshore platforms, then they could provide a link to an airport.)

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 15, 2017

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm kind of getting hung up on the "flying out of an airport with scheduled passenger service" part. Because you could include most of the Canadian (and probably Russian too) arctic and sub-arctic in your list in that case.
E- also, most jungley places too, like the Amazon, Congo, and Papua New Guinea

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 15, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

So I guess seaplanes don't count?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Finger Prince posted:

I'm kind of getting hung up on the "flying out of an airport with scheduled passenger service" part. Because you could include most of the Canadian (and probably Russian too) arctic and sub-arctic in your list in that case.

I think the idea isn't to find places where that is t happening, but to find places where it can't happen.

You could theoretically carve a usable runway out of the jungle or build one in the arctic if there was sufficient need, and commercial aircraft would be able to reach it.

So we're looking for places where the only aircraft that would be able to reach it, would require infrastructure that couldn't be built there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I think the idea isn't to find places where that is t happening, but to find places where it can't happen.

You could theoretically carve a usable runway out of the jungle or build one in the arctic if there was sufficient need, and commercial aircraft would be able to reach it.

So we're looking for places where the only aircraft that would be able to reach it, would require infrastructure that couldn't be built there.

I think it’s that, but carving runways isn’t an option. It has to be in range of the longest‐legged helicopter that’s certified for civilian use, or naturally have terrain that’s suitable (mostly water).

e: Little Diomede Island fails thoroughly:

quote:

There is a heliport, the Diomede Heliport, with regular helicopter flights. During the winter, the villagers carve a runway into the thick ice sheet so that bush planes can deliver vital products, such as medicine. Due to annual variations of the ice sheet, the runway changes position every year.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 15, 2017

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Finger Prince posted:

Never mind north of 60, there's tons of little towns in BC that don't (and can't) have airports. And some of the ones that do you could hardly call reliable - Castlegar, for example.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

btw page 97 of this issue has a really interesting article on the bombing of the Vegesack rail yards

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

bull3964 posted:

Also, I missed the part where a Note 7 was more likely to explode in someone's pocket rather than in a cargo area.

I just started to wonder if when they say in the passenger safety briefing that you should make sure you know where your personal electronic devices are before you adjust your seat so that you don't destroy them, maybe they're not so concerned about me losing my electronic device, and instead they're concerned that I might crush a Li-ion battery in the seat mechanism and make it explode or something?

Of course I'm not sure how much better it would be if I stick an iPad in the outside pocket of my suitcase (well I'd wrap it in lots of clothes but I'm sure not everyone would do that) and then the bag gets dropped, or something gets dropped on it, etc.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Platystemon posted:

I think it’s that, but carving runways isn’t an option. It has to be in range of the longest‐legged helicopter that’s certified for civilian use, or naturally have terrain that’s suitable (mostly water).

You can build on water, if you really want.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Buttcoin purse posted:

I just started to wonder if when they say in the passenger safety briefing that you should make sure you know where your personal electronic devices are before you adjust your seat so that you don't destroy them, maybe they're not so concerned about me losing my electronic device, and instead they're concerned that I might crush a Li-ion battery in the seat mechanism and make it explode or something?

That is entirely the reason!

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Previa_fun posted:

These are a lot bigger in person than I imagined them.

See I was surprised how small it is! The cockpit is super cramped too, and I was only sharing it with a couple of small children. One of the regulars at my work was crew on one during Vietnam and tells me the odd story or two.

e: here's his book if anyone's interested.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/book/raaf-canberra-bombers-in-vietnam/id552841186?mt=11

slothrop fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 15, 2017

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
The Canberra always felt like the quintessential British jet to me because it somehow manages to look elegant and terribly ungainly at the same time.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Comrade Gorbash posted:

The Canberra always felt like the quintessential British jet to me because it somehow manages to look elegant and terribly ungainly at the same time.

It's beautiful, until you lower the landing gear.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
You can't talk about the Canberra and not mention this beautiful beast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvmVTzN8exQ

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Tsuru posted:

You can't talk about the Canberra and not mention this beautiful beast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvmVTzN8exQ

If those are still in service, somebody needs to find a radar transparent way to paint the raydomes like astromech droids.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

Comrade Gorbash posted:

In true awkward British design tradition, in some models of Canberra the Navigator got in & out by swinging the nose cone open.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Oh Hey, Boeing finally got the PR-shots up from the two-ship of T-X's that was flying over my neighborhood last month.

You can't see my house from here: http://www.boeing.com/defense/t-x/index.page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

inkjet_lakes posted:

In true awkward British design tradition, in some models of Canberra the Navigator got in & out by swinging the nose cone open.

I'm over a year in as the lead on a complicated design and we are going to build the first prototype hardware in a few months. Stuff like that makes me sweat.

Chief engineer viewing his work on the assembly line, "Beauty, eh?"

Assembly line tech: "Uh, yeah, nice. How do you get into the navigation compartment?"

"What?... What do you mean?"

Murgos fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 15, 2017