Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

in her defense, i'm not particularly attractive either.

you cannot hold the opinions she and the others do and argue in good faith. it's impossible to be right wing and argue in good faith.

I mean good-faith in the sense that she genuinely believes out of ignorance and lack of life experience that racism is over and that white people are treated unfairly. I grew up in a very white and conservative place and didn't really question received wisdom until I was at least 18.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

business hammocks posted:

She might simply believe those things in good faith because she is a child. How informed were you when you were a teenager, and how well could you reason?

Oh I agree completely. I had my fair share of shithead opinions.

Having said that, she's not even at the same level as Sargon or the Golden One when it comes to that bullshit.

Codex Occultus
Apr 12, 2009

A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting.

She might simply believe those things in good faith because she is a child. How informed were you when you were a teenager, and how well could you reason?

I am SO loving glad I didn't have a youtube channel or blog when I was a teenager or early 20s. The amount of edge-lord-free-speach-absolutist-I-can-easily-solve-all-the-worlds-problems bullshit that came out of my mouth at that age was amazing. Aside from the embarrassment doing this poo poo in public and becoming popular for it creates a feedback loop of praise, jobs, money, etc that could make it much harder to snap out of it when you get older.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Codex Occultus posted:

I am SO loving glad I didn't have a youtube channel or blog when I was a teenager or early 20s. The amount of edge-lord-free-speach-absolutist-I-can-easily-solve-all-the-worlds-problems bullshit that came out of my mouth at that age was amazing. Aside from the embarrassment doing this poo poo in public and becoming popular for it creates a feedback loop of praise, jobs, money, etc that could make it much harder to snap out of it when you get older.

Yep, I'm lucky everyone I knew was continually calling me out on my objectivism back when I was in my late teens, and the bubbles on the internet weren't quite so impermeable as they are today, so I got continually exposed to other ways of thinking. I dread to think what I might have become if not.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

What really creeps me out is not that there are teenagers with YouTube videos that spout this bullshit, but that other "rational" adults will continue to celebrate teenagers making videos like this.

Say what you will about this site and whether or not there's any echo chambers, but at least we told some teenager to stop talking about Marx and start working on getting laid.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Marx never got in the way of getting anyone laid. I feel like left-tending teens get out and meet people and build more robust social networks than individualist randroid teens. Boys meet girls while working to get the world to treat them as people. Seems way healthier to me.

I don't know, as I wasn't lucky enough to be a left-tending teen. The one in these videos seems like she has a good chance of snapping out of it from how internet men will treat her. Some of those adult cheerleaders are no doubt trying to meet her in a hotel room somewhere.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWXvyQO-bt8&t=805s

Just gonna leave this thing here. A great take on Marx by our favorite Swindonite

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like marxism did a lot for getting me socially adapted. If you come to the majority of people you meet recognizing that you have common cause and common struggles then you are more inclined to be empathetic towards them.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

My attractiveness to the opposite sex correlates almost exactly with how left leaning I am.

Take that for what you will.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Archer666 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWXvyQO-bt8&t=805s

Just gonna leave this thing here. A great take on Marx by our favorite Swindonite

Is there like a specific point I should listen to cause I listened to like 10 minutes of COMMUNISTS COMMUNISTS COMMUNISTS and could no longer bear it.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

1stGear posted:

Is there like a specific point I should listen to cause I listened to like 10 minutes of COMMUNISTS COMMUNISTS COMMUNISTS and could no longer bear it.

I also have a feeling of primal distaste listening to this shouting angry person, it really gives me wonder if that gulag stuff was really so out of hand.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

mojo1701a posted:

What really creeps me out is not that there are teenagers with YouTube videos that spout this bullshit, but that other "rational" adults will continue to celebrate teenagers making videos like this.

Say what you will about this site and whether or not there's any echo chambers, but at least we told some teenager to stop talking about Marx and start working on getting laid.

Getting laid is the eternal excuse to dissuade anyone from having an opinion on something. It's as old as the internet.

You actually like avocado on toast? lol somebody get this dude some pussy

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

1stGear posted:

From 13:25 where he goes on a small tangent how he doesn't understand why Karl Marx is called a good economist when he's actually the worse cause blablabla

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Its a nice video to keep around though, just to use every time you see someone claiming that Carlgon is far-left.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Freakazoid_ posted:

Getting laid is the eternal excuse to dissuade anyone from having an opinion on something. It's as old as the internet.

Some people pretend that poontang is the center of the universe. Even though this thread is about making fun of "rationals" that does not mean we should not try to be.

Midig fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 14, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sex is often shorthand for community, intimacy, mutual happiness and anything opposed to isolation and unhealthy obsession. The idea is that if nobody wants to be around you, you're doing something wrong. Sex is the lowest intimacy bar to cross.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Marx never got in the way of getting anyone laid. I feel like left-tending teens get out and meet people and build more robust social networks than individualist randroid teens. Boys meet girls while working to get the world to treat them as people. Seems way healthier to me.

Freakazoid_ posted:

This was from someone who started an EN thread a few years ago about how he felt so much more mature than his peers. He mentioned he'd read Kapital multiple times as a 13 year old.

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like marxism did a lot for getting me socially adapted. If you come to the majority of people you meet recognizing that you have common cause and common struggles then you are more inclined to be empathetic towards them.

Oh absolutely. Sympathy makes it way easier to form connections than antipathy. It's no surprise that men complaining about people commenting on oppression also heavily intersect with incel/MRA-dom.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sex is often shorthand for community, intimacy, mutual happiness and anything opposed to isolation and unhealthy obsession. The idea is that if nobody wants to be around you, you're doing something wrong. Sex is the lowest intimacy bar to cross.
There are monastic and ascetic communities built entirely around abstaining from physical desires. Usually from an association with the physical as base and animal or from taking la petite mort a little too seriously rather than inability to interact with other humans in a sexually appealing manner, although with some of the traditional patriarchal religions there's maybe some crossover there.

I wonder if there's a point where incel/wizard communities transcend being built on bitterness about women and become something like that. I guess they'd have to become for something rather than just against things.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Guavanaut posted:

There are monastic and ascetic communities built entirely around abstaining from physical desires. Usually from an association with the physical as base and animal or from taking la petite mort a little too seriously rather than inability to interact with other humans in a sexually appealing manner, although with some of the traditional patriarchal religions there's maybe some crossover there.

I wonder if there's a point where incel/wizard communities transcend being built on bitterness about women and become something like that. I guess they'd have to become for something rather than just against things.

That would imply they have any self-reflection and a clue about theology and metaphysics.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
The start and end of their thinking is "Those loving whore :females: won't sleep with me... I'll show them by refusing to sleep with those slut whorey whore whores!"

It's peak pathetic, petty toxic masculinity.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

SteelMentor posted:

The start and end of their thinking is "Those loving whore :females: won't sleep with me... I'll show them by refusing to sleep with those slut whorey whore whores!"

Its weird how lack of self esteem can turn into a severe form of arrogance.

Midig fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 15, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SteelMentor posted:

:vince: when the gently caress did that smiley happen?

Midig posted:

Its weird how lack of self esteem can turn into a severe form of arrogance.

Self hatred is arrogance, it's assuming you know better than everyone else in the world no matter what they say, that you're poo poo.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Rough guesstimate, how many YouTube gaming channels are out there that aren't explicitly misogynistic and racist? Every single big channel I click on takes about 2 videos before they start making TRIGGERED jokes and making fun of feminists.

The only one I really know of off the top of my head is Cinemassacre, which is probably the most sweet and pure channel on YouTube

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Low Desert Punk posted:

Rough guesstimate, how many YouTube gaming channels are out there that aren't explicitly misogynistic and racist? Every single big channel I click on takes about 2 videos before they start making TRIGGERED jokes and making fun of feminists.

The only one I really know of off the top of my head is Cinemassacre, which is probably the most sweet and pure channel on YouTube

Most of the SA LP groups are pretty chill.

But gamers are generally scum so that's bound to be the exception rather than the rule.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Low Desert Punk posted:

i'd wonder how many gaming channels can even compete in the marketplace without catering to the bigoted tastes of people who watch youtube gaming channels

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

boner confessor posted:

i'd wonder how many gaming channels can even compete in the marketplace without catering to the bigoted tastes of people who watch youtube gaming channels

I mean, I don't think it's a situation where gamers are going to specifically complain when a YouTuber doesn't do the whole anti-feminist thing, they'll typically only complain when the YouTuber shows any affection for women or minority groups

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

Low Desert Punk posted:

Vinesauce.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Low Desert Punk posted:

I mean, I don't think it's a situation where gamers are going to specifically complain when a YouTuber doesn't do the whole anti-feminist thing, they'll typically only complain when the YouTuber shows any affection for women or minority groups

not even complaining. there's a super low barrier of entry to filming yourself playing video games and commenting on your gameplay, it's a flooded market. if your videos go from dozens of view to cracking four digits once you start repeating reddit style lame jokes then you'd be silly not to

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Game Grumps is pretty chill, which just springs to mind due to their Jontron adjacency. His racism was why he got replaced right?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Low Desert Punk posted:

Game grumps, Yogscast, Jim Sterling, possibly Total Biscuit although I haven't watched TB in years.

E: also Joseph Anderson and Mark Brown AKA Game Toolkit, although they're mostly game analysts and critics rather than Lets Players.

There's also Retsupurae

PiCroft fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 15, 2017

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Game Grumps is pretty chill, which just springs to mind due to their Jontron adjacency. His racism was why he got replaced right?

Nobody really knows afaik, but yeah, from what I've heard Jon literally would not stop screaming the n-word and other slurs during recording

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Deified Data posted:

Rumors are he was kicked off due to ruining takes by screaming slurs and having a raging cocaine problem.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

PiCroft posted:

Game grumps, Yogscast, Jim Sterling, possibly Total Biscuit although I haven't watched TB in years.

E: also Joseph Anderson and Mark Brown AKA Game Toolkit, although they're mostly game analysts and critics rather than Lets Players.

There's also Retsupurae

TB was big on GamerGate and continues to be a smug, rationalist rear end in a top hat. Beyond that his content is the worst kind of self-important, rambling gamer shite, only good if you enjoy 30 mins wanking over options menus.

Noah Caldwell-Gervais is pretty cool if you can get over his weak editing, does interesting longform thinkpieces about games and is generally just a chill, soft-spoken guy.

Deified Data posted:

He was generally just a toxic rear end in a top hat. It got to the point where entire sections of video had to be reshot or heavily edited because he'd start screaming racial slurs or other unfunny garbage. There was also an incident where he actually pissed himself and just kept playing despite Egoraptor telling him to loving clean himself up several times.

I can't remember if that was why he got let go, as he moved to New York shortly after leaving the Grumps, but there was definitely a sense that it was a factor.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

What is it about gaming that attracts this type of ideology anyway? It's not like every other traditionally "nerdy" hobby is just as toxic and horrible, gaming is by far the worst, with maybe comics at second place.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Low Desert Punk posted:

funny enough rolfe got loving dogpiled when he said he wasn't going to see and review the new ghostbusters. people calling him misogynist and poo poo.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

funny enough rolfe got loving dogpiled when he said he wasn't going to see and review the new ghostbusters. people calling him misogynist and poo poo.

I think I talked about that last thread, but in all fairness, 99.9% of YouTubers going out of their way to make a video about that are going to come from a place of misogyny. James just genuinely really loves Ghostbusters

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Low Desert Punk posted:

What is it about gaming that attracts this type of ideology anyway? It's not like every other traditionally "nerdy" hobby is just as toxic and horrible, gaming is by far the worst, with maybe comics at second place.

gaming is just what's currently most popular as a nerd hobby, like there are super awful fans of comic books, and table top roleplaying games also. actually it probably has something to do with the "gamer" identity itself, video games are one of my main hobbies but i would never identify myself as a gamer. maybe the existence of a gamer identity allows for people to do edgily ironic things like shout racial slurs, which due to nerd social fallacies and a lack of self-policing eventually becomes an acceptable way for a gamer to behave

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

That was my reaction as well. He was so mild and apologetic about all of it. He definitely got most of the poo poo because he was in a crossfire.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What nerd hobbies don't have resentful reactionary scum in them? The general model seems to be that nerds feel persecuted and excluded and gravitate to culturally marginal things, then explode in resentment when women and people who aren't white gravitate toward them along with mainstream exposure.

There simply may be social activities that skew male and require disposable income in a way that selects for whiteness.

Comics were awful with sexist poo poo in the 80s-90s. Some of it is probably that reactionary scum make nerd media and drive the culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

James Rolfe a man who actually cares about Ghostbusters as much as sexist shitheels claim they care about Ghostbusters.

• Locked thread