Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

He has to be one of the worst everyday players so far this season. Just not sure you can play him everyday. He is killing them,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The Mariners dig out of their hole, see their shadows and run back down, breaking a few more players along the way.

Even if they tried to fire sale, who do they even really have to sell? Cruz seems like the only moveable person who is a meaningful contributor. Paxton being made out of glass would harm his value. Diaz seems like he's falling back down. Cano's contract is way too big for anyone to pick up. Seager's contract might be a little too long even though I don't think its an overpay. Felix isn't an ace anymore.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Shiroc posted:

The Mariners dig out of their hole, see their shadows and run back down, breaking a few more players along the way.

Yeah, the fact that they struggled back to .500 was really impressive, but the Jays have just destroyed them. I don't know what to think of this team.

The DL being a mile long certainly doesn't help.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

He has to be one of the worst everyday players so far this season. Just not sure you can play him everyday. He is killing them,

Oh, I agree completely. Once Heyward and Jay are back and healthy, just run with an outfield of them and Almora and use Schwarber as a pinch hitter in late innings. But he needs to be riding the bench for a while, because his offense is brutal and his defense is somehow worse (he's easily several steps slower in left than he was a month ago).

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Timby posted:

Oh, I agree completely. Once Heyward and Jay are back and healthy, just run with an outfield of them and Almora and use Schwarber as a pinch hitter in late innings. But he needs to be riding the bench for a while, because his offense is brutal and his defense is somehow worse (he's easily several steps slower in left than he was a month ago).

I'd be for leaving Happ up and having him replace Schwarber in the lineup.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah that was rough for the Mariners. I was starting to think they might get exciting especially when everyone gets healthy but getting swept by a really lovely version of the Jays is disheartening.

I was pulling for the M's in that series since the Jays already seemed like a lost cause and the Mariners were at 500 but there they go making GBS threads it up again :shrug: Neither team is gonna end up contending at this rate.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

He'd definitely be a very good DH. I think it's quite obvious that he cannot play the field consistently, and it's affecting his batting ability. I'm not sure what the Cubs can really do with him, honestly.

But they should start with not playing him at the leadoff spot every single day. If you want to blame anyone for the Cubs woes, even before Arrieta, you have to start with him. The leadoff man sets the tone, and he's set a piss poor one.

Edit: It really says something when he's a better catcher than left fielder, and he was an awful catcher.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

offensively, schwarber is doing fine and is suffering some really bad luck. his walk rate is up, his babip is barely above 200, his swinging strike rate is almost half of what it was in 2015 yet his k-rate barely moved, he's swinging at outside pitches less. dude's going to go on a tear with these kinds of numbers.

defensively, what did you expect?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kirios posted:

Edit: It really says something when he's a better catcher than left fielder, and he was an awful catcher.

Oh, absolutely. There's no way they try the Kyle Schwarber: Left Fielder experiment if they thought he had the slightest chance of being even a significantly below average catcher.

And, yeah, Maddon needs to stop being cute with his "I'm so smart by having a slow fat guy hit leadoff" experiment.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Abel Wingnut posted:

offensively, schwarber is doing fine and is suffering some really bad luck. his walk rate is up, his babip is barely above 200, his swinging strike rate is almost half of what it was in 2015 yet his k-rate barely moved, he's swinging at outside pitches less. dude's going to go on a tear with these kinds of numbers.

how dare you post a reasonable defense of the guy who just finished his 106th major league game? he is a washed up bum who should be traded for pennies immediately.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Poque posted:

how dare you post a reasonable defense of the guy who just finished his 106th major league game? he is a washed up bum who should be traded for pennies immediately.

He's not washed up and I think you know no one's saying that, but his defense is actively hurting the team and there's a strong possibility that 7+ innings of left field every day are affecting the batting of a guy who packs on more weight every single year. He's been unlucky for sure, and he's still drawing walks, but there's a bit of a square hole / increasingly round peg thing going on, here.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Hell, keep doing what they're doing with him imo

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Timby posted:

increasingly round peg thing going on, here.

:perfect:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

canadianclassic posted:

Yeah that was rough for the Mariners. I was starting to think they might get exciting especially when everyone gets healthy but getting swept by a really lovely version of the Jays is disheartening.

I was pulling for the M's in that series since the Jays already seemed like a lost cause and the Mariners were at 500 but there they go making GBS threads it up again :shrug: Neither team is gonna end up contending at this rate.

The Jays are 3 back in the wild card and have a super easy schedule through the end of June. They could be .500 by the weekend.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Ungratek posted:

Nats bullpen is a loving disaster

You know you've hit rock bottom when Matt Albers is your best reliever.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Ungratek posted:

Nats bullpen is a loving disaster

Just trade for David Robertson already, come on.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

R.D. Mangles posted:

appears that jake arrieta is done

He'll always have swiping a Cy Young from Kershaw and Greinke, which is awesome.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

He'll always have swiping a Cy Young from Kershaw and Greinke, which is awesome.

Yeah, I'll always treasure that and the no-hitters. But as much as it was said that Bosio fixed him by letting him throw his sinker more, I'm always skeptical of a pitcher who suddenly figures it all out right before he turns 30. And given the way he was exhausted at the end of 2015 (which, admittedly, was mostly due to Maddon riding him so hard that Dusty Baker was probably saying, "God drat,") and then how his arm began falling off in July last year, I'm infinitely glad the Cubs aren't on the hook for the 7 / 200 deal he was looking for (and that the sides were reportedly close-ish on).

And the crazy thing is, this offseason's class is so weak that Arrieta still might be the best free-agent pitcher available this winter.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Abel Wingnut posted:

He's swinging at slightly fewer pitches outside the zone, but the ones he is swinging at he's making contact with at a much higher rate. His LD% is down and his ISO is way down. He's making much worse contact than in 2015, and while he has been getting unlucky with a BABIP of .229, his normal BABIP is going to be below .300 because he's not fast enough to reach on infield hits.

Defensively he was always a huge liability but a lot of people waved that away because he was hitting monster dingers. Now he's struggling offensively it's a lot harder to ignore his terrible defense.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

canadianclassic posted:

If Cano had been able to play that would have been a completely different series.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I just never expected they'd play Schwarber every day this season and that was before seeing the way it actually played out. Talking about his performance negatively in any way though is apparently verboten so apologies in advance.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
the mets should make changes after today but sadly they are always content to stand pat until it's too late.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

beejay posted:

I just never expected they'd play Schwarber every day this season and that was before seeing the way it actually played out. Talking about his performance negatively in any way though is apparently verboten so apologies in advance.

Saying anything negative about the Cubs in this forum immediately gets legions of defenders out in full force. It is what it is.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

This is a shame, he was apparently a really nice guy. Like, outside of for the one reason anyone knows his name I mean.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Kirios posted:

Saying anything negative about the Cubs in this forum immediately gets legions of defenders out in full force. It is what it is.

What? Is this your first time here?

Like %99 of the posts on this forum are people bitching about the Cubs.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Ok but if Schwarber isn't an everyday player...what the hell are the Cubs supposed to do with him? Is he just a pinch-hitter? Is he supposed to get shelved until the WS every year or something?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

beejay posted:

I just never expected they'd play Schwarber every day this season and that was before seeing the way it actually played out.

They were making noise even before spring training that they expected him to catch every fifth game or so, but everyone could tell that was just them blowing smoke, especially once spring training started and his plate defense was even worse than before. And now they clearly want him to stick in left, because when he can hit, he can rake, and like hell if they're telling Rizzo to move, but, for God's sake, put the boy on an Ensure diet or something.

He should have been benched after jogging to that grounder to left that turned into a double today. (Granted, Baez almost saved it, but, still.)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Popete posted:

What? Is this your first time here?

Like %99 of the posts on this forum are people bitching about the Cubs.

Bitching about the Cubs playing badly and losing, sure, but suggesting their players (apart from Arrieta) might not actually be that good still causes arguments. Exhibit 1 is Javy Baez.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

Ok but if Schwarber isn't an everyday player...what the hell are the Cubs supposed to do with him? Is he just a pinch-hitter? Is he supposed to get shelved until the WS every year or something?
Trade him to an AL team

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Armitage posted:

the mets should make changes after today but sadly they are always content to stand pat until it's too late.

The bullpen is struggling, but they're having to pick up a hell of a lot of innings because the starters are either hurt or ineffective or both. I don't think Matz is meant to be far off so that'll take some of the weight. We definitely shouldn't say no to a bullpen arm or two as well, though. I doubt we could get Melancon but we might be able to get Minor or Soria from the Royals.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Armitage posted:

Thanks for the sweep :kheldragar:

But yeah, Mets' have problems, but I think they're deeper than the onfield talent.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Schwarber missed an entire year of development and is coming off major surgery for a serious injury. What he did during the World Series was so unconscionably ridiculous and no one in their right mind should expect him to maintain that for an entire season, especially for what is essentially his rookie season. His 160 PAs this season make up 37% of his career PAs. He's still a young, developing player. Give him at least another 500 PAs before declaring him a bust.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Angels broadcast has a "happy mother's day" sign superimposed onto the batters eye like they put the line of scrimmage or first down marker in football.

I'm surprised teams or channels haven't tried doing that with advertisements yet, thered be an uproar but I'm surprised they haven't tried it.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

iospace posted:

Thanks for the sweep :kheldragar:

But yeah, Mets' have problems, but I think they're deeper than the onfield talent.

Indeed, but they don't really seem to make any sort of helpful changes until it's way too late. It's a front office/ownership thing that's pretty much a good chunk of their problems.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

What he did during the World Series was so unconscionably ridiculous and no one in their right mind should expect him to maintain that for an entire season

I totally expected him to BABip .540 for his whole career.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Schwarber missed an entire year of development and is coming off major surgery for a serious injury. What he did during the World Series was so unconscionably ridiculous and no one in their right mind should expect him to maintain that for an entire season, especially for what is essentially his rookie season. His 160 PAs this season make up 37% of his career PAs. He's still a young, developing player. Give him at least another 500 PAs before declaring him a bust.

I never said bust, because I think he's still a good hitter overall. But this is not a good sign at all for him to be a top 10-15 hitter in the league like the majority of Cubs fans expected.

He really has no business playing in the field, outside of maybe first base. He's nearly a -1.0 WAR for a reason.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Brewers pitching stinks but the offense is fun. The best kind of bad team.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Good Dog posted:

Angels broadcast has a "happy mother's day" sign superimposed onto the batters eye like they put the line of scrimmage or first down marker in football.

I'm surprised teams or channels haven't tried doing that with advertisements yet, thered be an uproar but I'm surprised they haven't tried it.

The jays do this with home hardware ads

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

YEAH JEETS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

This is already much, much, much, much, much, much nicer than his #Re2spect retirement tour.

• Locked thread