Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

exactly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Machai posted:

Boy, tagging the runner with no interaction other than having more money. That won't be slightly OP

Honestly, ignoring the hosed up templating, I kind of appreciate it. Compare it to SEA Source, which punishes a Runner for, you know, running. Just make the punishment happen regardless of runner action. Don't punish them for doing what the whole game is supposed to be about.

Edit: To expand, the mere existence of SEA source is akin to the MTG card Standstill. Only less so, because when a Standstill is in play you know it is in play so you break it and move on. With SEA you have to act like it's a threat at all times.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Furthermore, it's not a hard trace to beat. Trace 1 means that the corp needs to have Runner Link + Runner Credits + 6 credits to fire it, and the runner needs less than 4 cards and no meat damage protection/tag avoidance on the field. Is it doable? Sure, but not likely on turn 2, because either the runner will stay at 4 or 5 cards, or ensure to have economic superiority, or be close enough to make sure the combo can't fire.

This is arguably a worse card than Sea Source, because you can't ensure a kill with it on any runner that's playing with it in mind.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
It'll slow runners down a lot, though, especially since Bryan Stinson is a card. If it's unwise to end your turn on less than 6 credits then setup is going to take longer.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Maybe I should just go back to putting Rabbit Holes in all my decks.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

PJOmega posted:

Honestly, ignoring the hosed up templating, I kind of appreciate it. Compare it to SEA Source, which punishes a Runner for, you know, running. Just make the punishment happen regardless of runner action. Don't punish them for doing what the whole game is supposed to be about.

Edit: To expand, the mere existence of SEA source is akin to the MTG card Standstill. Only less so, because when a Standstill is in play you know it is in play so you break it and move on. With SEA you have to act like it's a threat at all times.

Disagree. SEA Source punishes the runner for running when they are unprepared. If the runner fears Scorch they can slow down, stop running, get their defenses up, keep track of the Corp credit pool. They can play around it. This is the heart of what makes Weyland Supermodernism such a fun matchup.

This new card can be played around only if the runner has enough money. It's not impossible to do, but there are also Corps capable of making a whole lot of money by the early game. There is less of a way to play around it.

The Breaking News & 24/7 combo was whack because there wasn't really any way to play around it. The Corp lands two tags on you regardless of what you do and don't do, and then you get Boomed. The only thing you can do is have counter-tech on the table. That was in a terrible design space.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

"The runner loses a click on their next turn" has got to be some of the dumbest text possible to put on a card and the fact that Damon did it multiple times really drives home how incompetent he was at his job.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Static Equilibrium posted:

"The runner loses a click on their next turn" has got to be some of the dumbest text possible to put on a card and the fact that Damon did it multiple times really drives home how incompetent he was at his job.

Why, exactly? (I have a guess, but I'm curious what you think)

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Because the effect literally removes your opponent's ability to take actions on their turn (albeit partially), if the card is at all playable, it is necessarily trying to establish some sort of lock-out/prison scenario. That means you basically have 3 possibilities any time you make a card like this:
1) the card is a trap card that is annoying to play against but ultimately bad.
2) the card is playable and you use it by trying to set up some sort of infinite combo where the runner never takes another click.
3) the card is playable and you use it by trying to make it so the runner effectively never takes another meaningful click (maybe through a combination with elp or a political asset or whatever). This is the worst of all possible worlds because now the runner has to sit there doing nothing because there's some small chance they could still win.

None of these scenarios seem especially good (#2 is arguably kinda cool, but it's really hard to imagine a card which enables #2 without also enabling #3), and the effect of "i do nothing so you do nothing" is not novel or interesting enough to justify the risk of unleashing another heinous prison deck.

Edit: admittedly I could be wrong, but especially given FFG's unwillingness to ban cards, I think it's probably good to avoid certain classes of resource denial effects, just because it's very hard to find a middle ground between terrible to play and terrible to play against. MtG has stopped printing good land destruction for a similar reason and I think the game is better for it.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 10, 2017

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Well the folks on Reddit are jizzing over the idea of creating that infinite combo in CI, but the obvious problem with this is that they're playing CI.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

I personally don't really care too much about infinite combos which win you the game on the spot (although I know some people detest them), I just think that if prison becomes the clear best deck again, it will almost certainly kill the game for good. I already suspect some version of prison Gagarin is the best deck right now anyways (I'll be doing some testing for nats this weekend and that's the deck we're all curious/concerned about), and I don't think it's great that cards which potentially support that style of play are being printed.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Because the effect literally removes your opponent's ability to take actions on their turn,

Did you miss the part where it's once/turn?

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Good thing there aren't any other cards in the game which limit your opponent's clicks or make certain actions take extra clicks.

Edit: you're right, though. I edited my post to be more clear.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I think it's probably good to avoid certain classes of resource denial effects, just because it's very hard to find a middle ground between terrible to play and terrible to play against. MtG has stopped printing good land destruction for a similar reason and I think the game is better for it.
And yet...

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

I don't think the existence of yog really makes it any more of a good idea to print cards which have a polarized range of effectiveness and are going to be best in a prison decks.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Prison decks are the worst thing to play against and if they keep making them even more effective I'm out.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Netrunner 2 when

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

Netrunner 2 when

As soon as sales fall

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

StashAugustine posted:

Netrunner 2 when

Is called L5R for some reason.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Prison decks turn the game's basic structure upside down. If you buy that "three phases of Netrunner" analysis, which I mostly do, then powerful late-game Runner decks like Dyper or Congress are prison decks in that there's little the Corp can do to stop them once they're set up.

Inverting that could be fun and interesting design space, and it's hard to see (in theory) why it has to be bad. (No-one complains about rig-shooter decks even though generally in Netrunner it's the Runner who gets to trash the Corp's stuff). The trick is to somehow force prison decks to have big vulnerability windows in phase 1 and 2, which I guess is hard when most Corp cards aren't designed that way at all.

edit: also False Lead doesn't see all that much play and in some ways has less counterplay than MAP does so I'm going to wait and see before complaining. Besides, Boggs seems pretty willing to jump on bad/OP cards quickly (Sifr, Rumour Mill).

Zephro fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 11, 2017

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Zephro posted:

Besides, Boggs seems pretty willing to jump on bad/OP cards quickly (Sifr, Rumour Mill).
There was also a bunch of stupid poo poo he said in the podcast interview like wanting to keep it to 20 cards, an arbitrary number instead of"however many it takes"

Comparing FFGs going completely dark for an extra three months and then dropping a typo-riddled 27mb PDF is night and day from WOTCs work clearly explaining their choices in regular b&r updates that sync with set releases.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

There was also a bunch of stupid poo poo he said in the podcast interview like wanting to keep it to 20 cards, an arbitrary number instead of"however many it takes"

Comparing FFGs going completely dark for an extra three months and then dropping a typo-riddled 27mb PDF is night and day from WOTCs work clearly explaining their choices in regular b&r updates that sync with set releases.

I thought he also said he'd be willing to change that if necessary. What other stupid stuff did he say?

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Tirranek posted:

I thought he also said he'd be willing to change that if necessary. What other stupid stuff did he say?

My takeaway from the interview was that Boggs seems like a competent guy with good ideas about what makes the game fun, who recognizes he is not the best player in the history of netrunner and is willing to listen to the playerbase, but may be hamstrung by heinous office politics.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

My takeaway from the interview was that Boggs seems like a competent guy with good ideas about what makes the game fun, who recognizes he is not the best player in the history of netrunner and is willing to listen to the playerbase, but may be hamstrung by heinous office politics.

Yeah I got that impression generally. He seems keen to fix future issues pretty quickly, which I think is good for this game. Players should in theory be way less salty about cards being restricted than they would in a booster pack model.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

The "20 cards" thing was an arbitrary number and he said as much in the interview - trying to limit the impact and mental bookkeeping required is a real thing.

And yeah, comparisons to Wizards usually fall flat since it's comparing about 30 people on dedicated design/development/editing teams with several million dollars to three guys in a shed.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I'm just grateful he hammered Rumour Mill. Worst card ever. But then I have weird opinions and think cards like Film Critic and Employee Strike deserve MWLing as well because they're anti-fun silver bullets

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Also, have some JNet stats for the three months to March:

https://forum.stimhack.com/t/jinteki-net-game-stats-january-8th-march-6th/8683

Jinteki: Officially better than NBN. (Also PU did surprisingly well despite the generally lovely reception it got from pundits)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is Palana good now that Rumor Mill is dead

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

It's decent, just runs into the issue that it's generally worse than HB glacier.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

Is Palana good now that Rumor Mill is dead

No because HB Asset Spam is even better.

Estelle Moon is for real the nuts.

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

Asset spam is straight up ruining my enjoyment of playing Netrunner.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Yithian posted:

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Yithian posted:

The cycle begins anew!

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

i like to run nets and steal agendas.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
What's the natural predator of Asset Spam? Apocalypse? Scrubbers?

LordNat
May 16, 2009

AgentF posted:

Used to be Whizzard and Rumor Mill, Now likely Whizzard and Apocalypse with the out of heap breakers and a way to trash your flipped cards.

We have done this rotation a few times now of Asset Spam being too strong, then Anarch rising to counter it, and so on. I am not sure there is anyway to fix it without breaking the meta game entirely gain.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

AgentF posted:

Depends the deck. Whizzard with some combination of slums/archives interface/hacktivist meeting and probably temujin contracts does very well against every asset deck (although it's not free by any means). Smoke beats basically every version of EtF asset spam by ignoring assets and locking out their ability to actually win by playing clot, political operative, and film critic. Congress-style decks are pretty favored against Gagarin, and I think nexus DLR decks are as well although I haven't really played those games enough to know for sure. I don't really know what's good against Jinteki asset decks aside from Whizzard just because of lack of testing, but I would guess congress kate is decent. CTM is basically dead so don't worry about it, and NEH asset spam is weak to Shaper as well. Steve Cambridge with just all the good criminal cards also did well against specifically the "Mooninites" decklist (EtF with Lakshmi, 2x Caprice, 1x Biotic, 3x 4/2, 3x 3/2, 3x GFI) in the limited testing my playgroup has done, but that could change (and I suspect he's worse against a deck with more fast advance options).

edit:

https://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/39927/damonfork-store-champ-winner- posted:

Here is a poem that I wrote about choosing which runner to play:

Always play Whizzard always play Whizzard
always Whizzard
never be not playing Whizzard
Whizzard always
never not Whizzard
Whizzard yes
Whizzard Whizzard Whizzard

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 15, 2017

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Sec test/desperado criminal do very well against it as well similarly to smoke by hammering HQ/R&D hard with medium deep digs, and trashing key assets. Playing versus asset spam is an exercise in target prioritization. If it's really bad, run slums to ensure things stay dead.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Yithian posted:

3x hacktivist plus maw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What Killer breaks Architect the cheapest (other than Femme token)? I think in the world of asset spam, it might be time for Apex to start Apocalypsing everything, which means I need a way to deal with the one un-trashable ICE out there.

• Locked thread