Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i kinda figured that. one of my favorite parts of the book is when danny finally gets in touch with the last sane part of his dad and then jack/hotel smashs his face in with the mallet and then its fully the hotel. its a good book, its sad the movie while great and amazing, isnt as good as the book.

The tv movie with the guy from Wings has this bit as well. It also has a Danny that makes you extremely sympathetic for Jack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

The Langoliers will always be great for, in the year 1995, ending with a jumping "YEAH!" freezeframe

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

The Langoliers will always be great for, in the year 1995, ending with a jumping "YEAH!" freezeframe

With the blonde, who was so sad about the daisy fella, says, "I'm so happy."

Sick, twisted bitch.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its a good book, its sad the movie while great and amazing, isnt as good as the book.

Totally agree. The first time I saw The Shining I hated it. The premise was the same but the characters weren't anything at all like what King wrote, and it was the characters I cared about most. But once I got over that and accepted the movie for what it is I started to admire it: Kubrick's direction and that slow nightmare dread is exactly the feeling the Overlook gave me reading about it. I guess what I'm saying here is that it seems like King wrote the book about the family and Kubrick directed the movie about the hotel.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 13, 2017

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
What I wish I knew earlier so I wasn't depriving myself of an incredible read for so many years:

-Kubrick's movie is good.
-The book is amazing.
-They're different enough to like both separately.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

syscall girl posted:

The tv movie with the guy from Wings has this bit as well. It also has a Danny that makes you extremely sympathetic for Jack.

The guy from Wings has been in lots of SK stuff it seems like

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

I felt like including the space cowboy in GG was pointless because all it did was add a time element to her situation that already existed in the form of hunger and dehydration. Including "oh also there's a creepy serial killer who's a necrophiliac and carries a box of his trophies from his victims" just didn't add anything and, in fact, detracted from the rest of the one-woman show.

Absolutely. I agree that the space cowboy is woven into the story but it feels redundant. The fact that he turns out to be real is unnecessary and stupid.

So, as so often in disputes with our beloved co-poster Fishmech, he is technically right but kind of missing the point. :glomp:

WattsvilleBlues posted:

With the blonde, who was so sad about the daisy fella, says, "I'm so happy."

Sick, twisted bitch.

Please don't sign your posts.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

“So what is it?”
“A legume.”
“What? Man, it’s called nut. Pea-NUT.”
The two arguing youths were silhouetted against the coffee-shop window.
“Commonly called a nut it is actually a roasted seed. It is incorrectly assumed to be a nut.”
“What’s the big deal? So the bag says ‘Mixed fruit and nuts’. You think it should be ‘Mixed fruit, nuts and seeds’?”
“Yes!”
Heads turned. Customers looked over to the pair.
“Oh, man…”
“If lazy thinking hadn’t taken root then we would be correctly describing the arachis hypogaea as a seed.”
“But if everyone’s calling them nuts, why not just accept they are nuts?”
“They don’t meet the definition of nuts, Dion, and you know it!”
The young man’s face flushed.
“Without a hard shell a seed cannot be classified as a nut. You may consider them nuts but I do not. And you know what?”
He brought his face closer to other youth’s.
“I’m right and you, society and Planter’s are WRONG!”
A figure moved from the counter towards the pair. The youths didn’t see him until he was close. His back was bent and his face was leathery, creased and dark. The eyes were shiny marbles deep in their sockets. He seemed infinity old. He reached out one gnarled hand and with a finger he brushed the boy’s cheek. The youth jerked his head back, shocked by the intimacy of the old stranger’s touch. The old man leaned forward and whispered into the boy’s ear. “More pedantic.”
He then smiled a lizard smile and left the coffee shop, leaving the youths speechless and wide eyed.
And that boy grew up to be Fishmech.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

“So what is it?”
“A legume.”
“What? Man, it’s called nut. Pea-NUT.”
The two arguing youths were silhouetted against the coffee-shop window.
“Commonly called a nut it is actually a roasted seed. It is incorrectly assumed to be a nut.”
“What’s the big deal? So the bag says ‘Mixed fruit and nuts’. You think it should be ‘Mixed fruit, nuts and seeds’?”
“Yes!”
Heads turned. Customers looked over to the pair.
“Oh, man…”
“If lazy thinking hadn’t taken root then we would be correctly describing the arachis hypogaea as a seed.”
“But if everyone’s calling them nuts, why not just accept they are nuts?”
“They don’t meet the definition of nuts, Dion, and you know it!”
The young man’s face flushed.
“Without a hard shell a seed cannot be classified as a nut. You may consider them nuts but I do not. And you know what?”
He brought his face closer to other youth’s.
“I’m right and you, society and Planter’s are WRONG!”
A figure moved from the counter towards the pair. The youths didn’t see him until he was close. His back was bent and his face was leathery, creased and dark. The eyes were shiny marbles deep in their sockets. He seemed infinity old. He reached out one gnarled hand and with a finger he brushed the boy’s cheek. The youth jerked his head back, shocked by the intimacy of the old stranger’s touch. The old man leaned forward and whispered into the boy’s ear. “More pedantic.”
He then smiled a lizard smile and left the coffee shop, leaving the youths speechless and wide eyed.
And that boy grew up to be Fishmech.
:aaaaa:

MY first thought was, he lied in every word,
That hoary cripple, with malicious eye
Askance to watch the working of his lie
On mine, and mouth scarce able to afford
Suppression of the glee, that purs’d and scor’d
Its edge, at one more victim gain’d thereby

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Absolutely. I agree that the space cowboy is woven into the story but it feels redundant. The fact that he turns out to be real is unnecessary and stupid.

I thought the Space Cowboy inclusion worked well enough, even if the end was a little forced. The way I took his presence was to illustrate Jessie beginning to lose her mind, hallucinate and doubt her own perceptions. It felt to me like how a kid will see his bathrobe hanging on the closet but in the dark and in his fear he sees a monster or something.

I'm not asserting that GG is amongst King's best work but it's not Dreamcatcher, Cell or Regulators bad either. Same with Rose Madder, which also catches a lot of hate.

When is the Geralds Game film coming out? From what I can find, it's already in the can.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

BiggerBoat posted:

I thought the Space Cowboy inclusion worked well enough, even if the end was a little forced. The way I took his presence was to illustrate Jessie beginning to lose her mind, hallucinate and doubt her own perceptions. It felt to me like how a kid will see his bathrobe hanging on the closet but in the dark and in his fear he sees a monster or something.

I'm not asserting that GG is amongst King's best work but it's not Dreamcatcher, Cell or Regulators bad either. Same with Rose Madder, which also catches a lot of hate.

When is the Geralds Game film coming out? From what I can find, it's already in the can.

out of all those I only finished the regulators, i started all of them and just couldnt finish em

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I have no idea how I finished the regulators. That book was awful.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

sneakyfrog posted:

out of all those I only finished the regulators, i started all of them and just couldnt finish em

I finished Cell with a case of beer. Such a great start.

Regulators I have no idea how I finished it. I really loved Desperation and the gimmick they had in bookstores at the time where King was 'fessing up to his nom de plume and the covers sort of mirrored each other meant I had to get it.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

syscall girl posted:

Regulators I have no idea how I finished it. I really loved Desperation and the gimmick they had in bookstores at the time where King was 'fessing up to his nom de plume and the covers sort of mirrored each other meant I had to get it.

i was working in a bookstore at the time so yeah :same:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

syscall girl posted:

Someone in this thread said years ago that Cell is a book where every chapter is worse than the one before it, and god drat were they ever right.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

I liked Regulators :( It was so batshit it was hard not to

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Disgraceful

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I do too. In fact, I like everything about Regulators except the literal poo poo ending.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Re-reading the Shining, and it seems to me that the Overlook is just another in a long line of Jack's excuses. The drinking wasn't his fault, the temper wasn't his fault. His internal monologue before they even take up residence in the hotel is that of a bitter, angry, rear end in a top hat. He could have easily written it like Misery with no supernatural effects other than cabin fever and an abusive dry drunk and had virtually the same story.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

navyjack posted:

Re-reading the Shining, and it seems to me that the Overlook is just another in a long line of Jack's excuses. The drinking wasn't his fault, the temper wasn't his fault. His internal monologue before they even take up residence in the hotel is that of a bitter, angry, rear end in a top hat. He could have easily written it like Misery with no supernatural effects other than cabin fever and an abusive dry drunk and had virtually the same story.

Seems like missing the point. His guilty conscience gave the place a jump start, and his kid put the fuel in the tank. :iiaca:

e: supernatural car analogy

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

I do too. In fact, I like everything about Regulators except the literal poo poo ending.

oldpainless posted:

Disgraceful

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I liked Regulators, too. gently caress the haters.

Except oldpainless. I value and treasure his opinion.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

I consider it a misunderstood black comedy. It reminds me of when my dumb friends in high school thought Scream was a horror movie, in a way.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

I consider it a misunderstood black comedy. It reminds me of when my dumb friends in high school thought Scream was a horror movie, in a way.

Story written by Stephen King: a horror fantasy or sometimes it's just Rita Hayworth

Movie directed by Wes Craven: a horror something or it's a take on the foibles of the genre

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Tbh in the book Jack has a lot more character and he doesn't seem to be a complete oval office at firstm

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Tbh in the book Jack has a lot more character and he doesn't seem to be a complete oval office at firstm

As characters go he's a good one in that he is sympathetic the entire time. And then you get a nice taste of what you are sympathizing with.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I agree with his wasp killing policy and who among us hasn't run over a child's bike on a blackout drunk but his wife beating became a little much.

Danny needed to die though that much was clear.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

syscall girl posted:

Danny needed to die though that much was clear.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

syscall girl posted:

Seems like missing the point. His guilty conscience gave the place a jump start, and his kid put the fuel in the tank. :iiaca:

e: supernatural car analogy

No no, I get that. But, if the Overlook had just been a hotel and Doc a regular little non-shiny boy, he and Wendy would have still been lucky to still be in one piece come spring, imo.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

DANNY BOY!

WHERE DID THE WASPS COME FROM DANNY!?!

FROM YOUR GAPING PIE HOLE BECAUSE YOU'RE CERTAINLY LETTING SOME FLIES IN THERE

*licks lips ominously*

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

navyjack posted:

No no, I get that. But, if the Overlook had just been a hotel and Doc a regular little non-shiny boy, he and Wendy would have still been lucky to still be in one piece come spring, imo.

Oh yeah, idk, the place is magically hosed up in a way that's really well tuned for both Jack and Danny. Either one could have triggered it but both at once was more than the place could stand. It was practically wetting itself lying to Jack and waiting for Doc's big brain, it'd already figured out that Halloran wasn't the mustard it wanted and it was just kismet that Danny, Wendy and Dick could manage to pull together to burn it down.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

That was a weird casting choice for the tv film. I was really distracted by the kid whenever he was on screen.

Regulators chat: King can't do book-length comedy. He can do funny scenes or lines but nothing sustained. I hated Regulators and Needful Things with the fiery intensity of someone who paid money for the books I was reading.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I am definitely on the pro-regulators side. It is kind of silly but it was fun to read. Is it just the magic autism kid that makes people hate it so much?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I'll jump on board the regulator train. I enjoyed the weirdness of the book a lot.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

I hated it because I paid money for it. King owes me an apology and £3.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I liked it but Desperation was way better.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

I liked it but Desperation was way better.
I agree. Desperation was a kick in the gut from the beginning but I probably only think this because I read it first. I loved it.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
episode 3 of Nightmares and Dreamscapes was Umney's Last Case. I like William H. Macy. I liked the short story. The episode was alright. They changed the kid dying from AIDS and instead he drowned in a pool. The pool scene makes for a better slow motion dramatic scene for television.

Episode 4 was The End of the Whole Mess. This was my favorite one so far. This one worked good on TV I think. Umney's Last Case wasn't bad, but I don't know what it being a TV episode added to the story. In this one I liked seeing the guy sitting in front of the camera filming it himself. This had Ron Livingston from Office Space

Ein cooler Typ fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 16, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ein cooler Typ posted:

episode 3 of Nightmares and Dreamscapes was Umney's Last Case. I like William H. Macy. I liked the short story. The episode was alright. They changed the kid dying from AIDS and instead he drowned in a pool. The pool scene makes for a better slow motion dramatic scene for television.

Episode 4 was The End of the Whole Mess. This was my favorite one so far. This one worked good on TV I think. Umney's Last Case wasn't bad, but I don't know what it being a TV episode added to the story. In this one I liked seeing the guy sitting in front of the camera filming it himself. This had Ron Livingston from Office Space

I liked Umney's Last Case cuz steve king really captured the time in the story, can't remember if I liked the movie but yeah William H. Macy is great. The End of the Whole Mess was a great story that had a great adaptation.

There are two or three places in the US that are constantly weird. One is Florida, another is Maine but the poo poo that Texas, and Waco Texas rivals everyone in the weird department.

And I always like to rep my home state for weird poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29EInmCkhAQ

That one references Oregon. The only other story he has that does this is Desperation.

And the bit in The Shining where Jack says Portland Oregon or Portland Maine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

Gah! That was some of the most stilted acting I've ever seen. And how come so much of his work turns embarrassingly folksy when it's put on a screen? Even the so-called villains are cringeworthy.