Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

everdave posted:

have you thought of just flogging the Boxster and saving the money?

I have. It's really nice having a sporty car that doesn't make you sweat when you hear a squeak or when you bump the wheel to the curb parallel parking.
But this particular model's shifting, clutch, overall shifting experience are not where I'd like them to be. I've driven a 986 Spyder, and that car was a bit tighter, but also not mind-blowing with its shifter feel.
In gear and stomping through some curves, it's still great.

I know I'm partly poisoned by the 348's gated shifter. That not only sounded and looked cool, but it timed well with clutch, especially on heel-toe downshifts.
I feel like I could jump into an S2000 or Viper and still be completely happy with the shifting, but other cars now have to clear a higher bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

I think I'll get outbid by a little bit on this one, so will get freed up by auction's end. If it were an EVO, I'd probably still bid harder despite CT's and SSS's advice. Those box flares :eng99:

Don't get me wrong: If I had the money and more importantly the room to own one, I would probably own one.

If anything, I am repeating to you the mantras which keep me from succumbing to my Italian car lust.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If I get it, you wanna do a timing belt? I just saw the engine bay, and yeesh.
e: oh wait, you're not local anymore, right?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I don't think I was ever local, but that would be a fun ABAI (:canada:) road trip.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

BigPaddy posted:

Are you a bad enough dude to own a 80's French Hatchback?

I drove one of those on Tuesday at the Lane Motor Museum and it was amazing, but the driving position and ergonomics are horrific. Check Ars this weekend for the article.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cool, debating the handling merits of the Integrale in the comments has netted me a tentative invite to drive an owner's car. Just have to suffer the 5 hr drive to New Jersey.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
If you want early 90s AWD R32 GT-R?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Wrar posted:

If you want early 90s AWD R32 GT-R?

Not really the same kind of experience, GTR is longer wheel base, heavier and has a track orientated 4wd system. The integrale is more akin to a 205 t16.

If you want something of a similar size, 4wd and designed for rallying you can get a Pulsar GTI-R which are mental little cars when they are not in pieces.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

FWIW my dad daily drove an integrale for 5 years without any significant reliability issues. Anecdotes are not data of course but I think that integrale reliability issues are vastly overblown by a lot of people (most of whom are just parroting what theyve read on the internet). Get a good example and you should be OK. They do like to rust though!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Do you get banned for "just get a Miata" now?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
I borrowed the boxster as the frs had the throw out bearing die :(

I've been without a convertible for a few months now so I might be a bit biased based on how hard I get driving something without a roof at this point, but this is a pretty badass little convertible.

The Ferrari was immediately and obviously old, the Porsche still looks a lot like a new one. My Roomates knew it wasn't off the showroom but couldn't tell it was more than 2-3 years old. It feels more like a modern Porsche too, it's much more 997 than the 996 turd zone. I really like the seats, they have solid lateral support but are still comfy. There does seem to be a bulge the pushes up against my back around my shoulder blades in the seat back but I haven't played around with adjustments.

It's a nice looking car inside and out, the cabin is pretty spacious and well thought out. It feels a lot like the 348 to drive, there's a noticeable heft behind you with a light front end. They also have a "mushy" sensation about the suspension, the car has a lot of spring rate but is rather softly damped. The corvette z06 felt like this too, the NSX/s2000/viper were different. They had softer spring rate but had a much more precise feeling dampening profile. I can't say I really like the mushy feeling as a driver but it doesn't seem to slow the car down, just a different approach.

The shifter is pretty eh in the boxster, it's a really long throw but the gates are rather tight together. The 348 had a very mechanical snick snick snick clack clack while the boxster I think is cable actuated. You can tell it's in gear but it doesn't feel great. The closest comparison Is probably a e46 3 series shifter. The clutch isn't bad, it has good feel even if the uptake is a bit funky. It was easy to use immediately.

The throttle and brake are very 90sesque with longer travel. I haven't really tested out either since it's daily driving duty, the brakes seem to have good feel and the pedal is solid. The throttle is pretty nice, I thought it had some lag but that goes away with better tip in. The gas pedal sits way back from the brake pedal, the most comfortable way to get in a good heel toe is some more.... spirited braking.

The motor has a bunch of torque down low and sounds really nice. The exhaust is pretty sedate but has a burble off throttle. It can't match that 348 siren screaming in your ear exhaust that would woo everyone in earshot, but the flat 6s has its own character. The steering is also pretty well done, it's very light and unobtrusive when you're going in a straight line or turning slowly but it picks up feeling and weight the harder you toot around corners. The steering also isn't slow but it's not superfast enough to initiate a MR tankslapper scenario if you frantically jam in too much steering.

I don't think it's a car you can really compare to the S2000, the similarities really end with the roof goes up roof goes down portion. The S2000 is hardcore sports car that you can drive daily while the boxster is a comfier but capable sports car. I also would hands down but a boxster s over a Miata.

The Miata is nice and I really loved mine but the boxster is pretty superior in terms of convertible experience. Power top, even though it's kinda slow. Mein porsche. Brembo brakes stock. Soft leather, a good stereo. It also sounds better than the Mazda 4 cylinder. I think the only time that a Miata stands head and shoulders above the Porsche Boxster s is really cultutre. I know plenty of Porsche owners and most of them look down on boxsters as the plebeian spec loser car. The boxster s owners also are pretentious against the boxster owners and as a result, you can't get a friendly over the pants hand job on the side of the road when you bro spot another boxster owner like you could in a Miata. Once I was driving my Miata over to pick up the 348 and I stopped at a light. A green nb that could have been a mirror for mine rolled up next to me at the stop light. I looked over and he had race seats and a passenger, they were both all harnessed up. My lip quivered as I said, "is your roll bar a..." and he finished my sentence by saying "HARD dog", seductively emphasizing the first half of the sentence. I could hear the submarine strap buckle groaning against the increased stress in both of our cars.

The nds are looking pretty good so that that may sway the argument a bit, but this has been a pleasant surprise based on all the poo pooing they get.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 14, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BigPaddy posted:

Not really the same kind of experience, GTR is longer wheel base, heavier and has a track orientated 4wd system. The integrale is more akin to a 205 t16.

If you want something of a similar size, 4wd and designed for rallying you can get a Pulsar GTI-R which are mental little cars when they are not in pieces.

Id go R32 GTR.... if I could find one that hasnrt been thrashed.

I thought about a GTiR at the time I first got a VR4.... actually a pretty neato car. Except the famed glass gearbox issues and the intercooler that is in fact an Interheater due to its lousy location. Stock its fine..... turn up the wick or wider tyres expect something to go bang. Stock is still a riot tho.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

When I have space for more cars I am getting a GTi-R for autocross. You can find R32s that are not total shitpiles but you have to be patient scanning the auctions and then expect to pay through the nose right now. I personally expect prices to drop once the initial rush dies down and R33s becoming legal to import to the US. I could be wrong but then I will go to plan B which is wait for one to come up with a blown engine already landed and titled in the US and rebuild it. If it turns out to be beyond a bearing and clean up job then I might just order a RB30 short block from somewhere that does the 4wd sump conversion for them. Make sure they do it with the RB NEO spec oil squirters and beefier crank and it should hold a decent chunk of power. Not cheap by any means but the engine won't have to come out again for a long time.

RIPS in NZ do a forged RB30 short block with a 4wd conversion for about $6000 right now

https://www.ripsracing.com/catalog/Short-Blocks-37/RB30-Forged-Internal-Shortblock---4WD-15.html

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'd definitely try an RHD sports car, but I think I'm a staunch LHD chauvinist. I was ok driving around in South Africa on vacation, but that's still RHD in a RHD country.

I agree that there's a ridiculous totem pole of lording over with the P-car hierarchy. With the 348, even if it wasn't a status Ferrari, it was stealth enough. Porsche enthusiasts doth protest too much with "most of us are car people!" for there not to be a real snob factor on the community. The one justification perhaps is that, in general, more money paid means getting a better driving experience.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Also, some dude named motorcar_collector is going hard on the Integrale. I think I'll let him have it at this price. Definitely regretful to see the last one sell at 26k.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

I agree that there's a ridiculous totem pole of lording over with the P-car hierarchy. With the 348, even if it wasn't a status Ferrari, it was stealth enough. Porsche enthusiasts doth protest too much with "most of us are car people!" for there not to be a real snob factor on the community. The one justification perhaps is that, in general, more money paid means getting a better driving experience.

My best story about this kind of thing was when the MG owners club of Europe booked Spa for the weekend and had a bunch of spare track time and sold it to 6 of us in one of the Skyline forums. This was June 2011 iirc, anyway we turn up and it is all pre war MGs so rare expensive stuff owned by boomers. We start swapping out tyres and what not getting read for our sessions getting tuts and eye rolls. Apparently a few people complained and offered to buy the track time off us so we would leave. Anyway we go out for the first session just the 6 of us tearing around the track having fun because a pre war MG is cool but not exactly going to get you doing a ton plus up Eau Rouge. Second session some of the MG owners club members come up and ask for rides and sure we take them out and showboat a bit at the hair pin near the grandstand after the pit exit and start getting cheers and people taking photos. By the third session we were taking people out for a few laps and then going in to pick someone else up. Ended up be invited to the post track day BBQ by a few members and we had a good evening.

For every story like that tho there are more where someone in a 911 or whatever takes an attitude because you have something that didn't cost a down payment on a house for ordinary people. My parents were working class, paycheck to paycheck people so dropping the $40k on the Challenger was a bit of a mental hurdle I had to get over never mind $100k+

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Also, some dude named motorcar_collector is going hard on the Integrale. I think I'll let him have it at this price. Definitely regretful to see the last one sell at 26k.

I'm glad you guys are here to rein me in sanity-wise, cuz otherwise I would (and this is a personality flaw of mine) keep ego outbidding the other guy. Integrale's at 34k now, a price I don't want it at, but damned if I don't somehow feel shame for getting beat on it. By continuing to bid on this one, I'm only hurting myself on future Integrale prices.

I think I've mentioned this before, but the best way to get me to overpay for something is to question my ability to pay for it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I still stand by my thought you should get an NSX.

However, get an R32 GT-R and then let me drive it please

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
NSX prices are already going to the moon :(

I think older BMW prices are about to take another jump, also.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

BlackMK4 posted:

NSX prices are already going to the moon :(

I think older BMW prices are about to take another jump, also.

Agree. Just look at the price E36's are fetching on BAT. I say you go bat crazy on some wild handling car like a Lotus or exocet of some type. Or get one of those really good Shelby replicas that are murder machines.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Shelby replica, you say? Factory five is local as hell, and the type 65 coupe is beautiful.

Of course, they're kits, and not in the same realm as a Porsche or NSX.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/6131549443.html :swoon:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

That is beautiful.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

sharkytm posted:

Shelby replica, you say? Factory five is local as hell, and the type 65 coupe is beautiful.

I've got hope that I can buy that Type 65 I helped very briefly with.

e: I'm gonna read my 911 buyer's guide book tonight to demystify the early 911 designations. There's 964, then SC, then ???
Were they all torsion bar rear until the 993?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That blue 911 is freaking amazing. Looks very unique for a 911, is it a rare factory color?

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

I'm thinking you might have dodged a bullet with that westfield.

I didn't read through all the comments, but did the seller explain why he reused the picture of the underside of the car from the 2015 ad in his ad? I was getting worked out about the car having the same tires on it, but I guess when a car isn't street legal, you probably mount slicks and keep the A-008R's for transport.

I dunno, I'm sure that car's a hoot, but not a lot of pics and some pretty obvious bodges (sweated copper pipe to balance the carbs) in the few pics that are there would make me a little nervous.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It was a similar mindset as the Boxster -- get a ticket but don't fly first class. The Caterham upcoming is a nicer car for sure, but will need more work to become MA street legal.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Dude that 40th anniversary rebuilt title Esprit could be an amazing bargain! It's just a link to a CL ad but spend $$3k redoing interior in color of your choice and $2k sorting stuff lots of bang for your bucks says a dude on the internet!

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Agree. Just look at the price E36's are fetching on BAT. I say you go bat crazy on some wild handling car like a Lotus or exocet of some type. Or get one of those really good Shelby replicas that are murder machines.

People love to say E36 prices are going up but look through the BaT auction history. Lots of "didn't meet reserve" with no one willing to bid over 10-12k. They're still solidly in the 8-12k range for a good 100k+ example. Sub 100k mile cars can fetch mid teens for sedans or rarer colours. They just don't have the enthusiast love like the e30 or a motor like the e46. I love mine but it isn't ever gonna be worth much.

M coupes on the other hand, holy gently caress.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Imported Euro E36 M3s with the proper motor, on the other hand...

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The last two E46 M3s onbBaT were nice and 15k, which I think is gonna lure people away from the E36. I wonder when that market will hit bottom and bounce.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

! This is what my knocking noise sounded like. Same diagnosis path, same cause:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gYaWAeJg-0&t=25s

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I will never understand what could possess someone to buy any variant of the E36 over an E30 or E46 equivalent, other than "well, it's cheap".

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

kimbo305 posted:

! This is what my knocking noise sounded like. Same diagnosis path, same cause:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gYaWAeJg-0&t=25s

Listening to a guy kvetching about being so scared of spiders makes me deeply unimpressed with said man.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

InitialDave posted:

I will never understand what could possess someone to buy any variant of the E36 over an E30 or E46 equivalent, other than "well, it's cheap".
I dont like those dumb headlight cutouts on the E46, plus I like the look of E36s more. Don't know much about the insides though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cage posted:

I dont like those dumb headlight cutouts on the E46, plus I like the look of E36s more. Don't know much about the insides though.

The standard E46 isn't too bad, just some small curves in the bumper. Overall, it's a pretty handsome looking car.

The E46 Compact is the true uggo.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

The last two E46 M3s onbBaT were nice and 15k, which I think is gonna lure people away from the E36. I wonder when that market will hit bottom and bounce.

E46 M3's have a bigger price differential than anything else I've ever looked at. You'll find them listed from under $10k to $50k+ for a really clean low mileage manual. Those higher priced ones still sell too. I couldn't find what I wanted at what I felt was a reasonable price so I moved on.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Cage posted:

they got rid of those cutouts after the first few years. i agree though, they don't look particularly good.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

The standard E46 isn't too bad, just some small curves in the bumper. Overall, it's a pretty handsome looking car.

The E46 Compact is the true uggo.

However, you can get those compacts in 325Ti flavour, which makes them an interesting left-field hot hatch choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Check out this pricing data point:
https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23850/lot/155/
Probably in decent shape, but also on an old timing belt.

Doesn't have the later Challenge carbon fiber seats, but used to be a concours winner. I guess my selling price wasn't so bad, then.

• Locked thread