Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Also revbombs are lame as gently caress at the best of times, especially so when used in place of a horn.

My horn button is in an awkward spot, so I give a quick rev instead when someone is asleep at a green light on their phone. Really get's em movin'.

Also I don't lane split or filter as much as I used to, but I'll totally do it if I have places to be and have to go through a ton of gridlock. It's been the only way I've seen friends in Atlanta this past month.

PCOS Bill posted:

Wow, I follow every traffic law religiously, you should try it.

You couldn't lanesplit your dadbikes anyways and you know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The way to deal with brain dead people at stoplights is to leave enough space in front of you to be able to just ride around them.

If I had to sum up my riding style at this point it would be "pass everything, pass constantly". You can't get in conflicts and don't have to worry about anything behind you cause it's already gone.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
If you can't be splitting, always be passing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ABP. COFFEE IS FOR PASSERS

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm the guy doing 110 on the highway zig-zagging, I know the pass, the pass has become me.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

PCOS Bill posted:

I'm the guy doing 110 on the highway zig-zagging, I know the pass, the pass has become me.

I think you're part of why other motorist dislike riders.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

PCOS Bill posted:

Wow, I follow every traffic law religiously, you should try it.

PCOS Bill posted:

:shrug:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Satanism is a religion.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

The way to deal with brain dead people at stoplights is to leave enough space in front of you to be able to just ride around them.

If I had to sum up my riding style at this point it would be "pass everything, pass constantly". You can't get in conflicts and don't have to worry about anything behind you cause it's already gone.

Yup. gently caress being nice, gently caress the law and gently caress whatever people think. Pass the cunts and stay safe in a bubble of not-cars.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Slavvy posted:

Yup. gently caress being nice, gently caress the law and gently caress whatever people think. Pass the cunts and stay safe in a bubble of not-cars.

Agreed.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

it stands for A Brotherhood Against Totalitarian Enforcements (helmet laws) so you can guess what kind of people they are.

That's a new one to me. Around here, it's American Bikers Aiming Toward Education. Same assholes though.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

One of those was facetious and obviously a joke based on every other post I make, one of those is in line with everything else I've ever said...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

That's a new one to me. Around here, it's American Bikers Aiming Toward Education. Same assholes though.

*southern war general voice* "Let me educate you on the many and sundry dangers of the common helmet"

tjones
May 13, 2005
Funny this came up. My company has been working with another company based in Indiana for the past few months. During a call with one of their reps that I've come to know over the course of our business relationship, she mentions her husband rides.

I casually mention prior business trips to Indiana and the awe of seeing people ride without helmets. This woman, who is very sensible, brilliant minded when it comes to her profession, and extremely nice in all other aspects stated: "He doesn't wear one. It used to bother me, but now I realize if he wrecks it would not save his life."

I don't think I've ever changed a conversation topic so fast in my life.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Translation: my husband got a fat life insurance policy

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Ask her if he unplugged the airbags and cut the seat belts out of his car too.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

Ask her if he unplugged the airbags and cut the seat belts out of his car too.

Do you need to ask? You know the answer is already yes and I don't use them.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I changed jobs and my new office building has a magnetic sensor that doesn't recognize my bike, which means my key card won't open the gate, and I can't just take a ticket to get in. Even better is the gates are not manned, there is someone in an office in the morning that can see me get stuck and open the gate for me, but at night I'm on my own. The gate (wood bar, whatever) is long enough that I can't get by, I tried one day, almost dropped the bike trying to lean it far enough to get by, then got it stuck on my side until the car behind me opened it up. Is there One Weird Trick (TM) to get around this? I'm tempted to just hacksaw off 1ft of the gate late at night.

There is a "press here to call for help" button, which after 10 calls (not rings, calls) to a number no one answers, will eventually cause the gate to open, but that takes around 5 mins. I did see a cruiser in the garage one day, I think I'm going to have to be the weirdo who leaves a note on someone's bike asking how the gently caress they get in and out every day. I'm guessing the bike is just enough bigger to set off the sensor.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Get some strong-assed magnets and put them on the bottom of the bike so they line up perpendicular to the sensor loop under the pavement. I used a couple from an old dead hard drive I had.

I did this to trip a traffic light sensor by my old house when I couldn't get the city government to adjust it. Assuming that parking gate uses the same kind of sensor it should work.

edit: or just crash it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eQZLd6AABE

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I didn't realize I could ask them to adjust it, I'll try harassing the building today. I have roughly a million old hard drives lying around, I'll try taping a bunch of those to the bottom if nothing else works. As an added bonus it should pick it everything metal on the highway and collect it for me.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
If you had a supermoto you wouldn't have these problems.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Jazzzzz posted:

Get some strong-assed magnets and put them on the bottom of the bike so they line up perpendicular to the sensor loop under the pavement. I used a couple from an old dead hard drive I had.

But how does that work? Get it...magnets?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
One of the many reasons why London is basically paradise but with more litter is that many car parks* offer free motorbike parking, but because it would be complicated and expensive to work out a way of letting them park for free that wouldn't be abused, they just cut three feet off the end of the barrier so you can ride around it.

* especially the Westminster Council/Q-Park ones in the West End, including the Chinatown underground car park (faithfully recreated in the hardest level in The Getaway, if anyone remembers that game) which has the best acoustics of any space on Earth. Even a little 125 sounds like a caged animal down there, something from Italy sounds like the end of civilisation as we know it. I've been known to walk two or three miles in full gear, ignoring many parking spots closer to my destination, just so I can park down there.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

One of the many reasons why London is basically paradise but with more litter is that many car parks* offer free motorbike parking, but because it would be complicated and expensive to work out a way of letting them park for free that wouldn't be abused, they just cut three feet off the end of the barrier so you can ride around it.

* especially the Westminster Council/Q-Park ones in the West End, including the Chinatown underground car park (faithfully recreated in the hardest level in The Getaway, if anyone remembers that game) which has the best acoustics of any space on Earth. Even a little 125 sounds like a caged animal down there, something from Italy sounds like the end of civilisation as we know it. I've been known to walk two or three miles in full gear, ignoring many parking spots closer to my destination, just so I can park down there.
Some parking garages just have the motorcycle parking prior to the actual gated parking area, next to bicycle parking. Downside is that if the motorcycle spots are full you're outta luck.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Coydog posted:

If you had a supermoto you wouldn't have these problems.

I knew someone would reply with a SM reference

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I believe the AMA's official stance on helmet laws is against them. I dunno if they actually campaign on them. Do they do anything about lane splitting? The only thing I've heard of them agitating about is anti-ethanol poo poo. Thanks, AMA, keeping the priorities straight.

Word. I bitched them out in a reply to a survey the other day. gently caress the 20 dirtbags on dirtbikes that are restricted from riding 1/1000 of this gagnormous land mass, gently caress the graybeards and their prehistoric iron garbage that won't run E10. How about actually PROMOTING MOTORCYCLING by making commuting a more attractive option? It will get more people on bikes if they can filter through the shitstorm of commuting fucktards! The AMA is just like the NRA - an organization that represents manufacturers and patronizes owners, using them as muscle for their lobbying efforts on behalf of the manufacturers. The only reason I'm a member is for the cheap roadside assistance.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The_Raven posted:

Word. I bitched them out in a reply to a survey the other day. gently caress the 20 dirtbags on dirtbikes that are restricted from riding 1/1000 of this gagnormous land mass, gently caress the graybeards and their prehistoric iron garbage that won't run E10. How about actually PROMOTING MOTORCYCLING by making commuting a more attractive option? It will get more people on bikes if they can filter through the shitstorm of commuting fucktards! The AMA is just like the NRA - an organization that represents manufacturers and patronizes owners, using them as muscle for their lobbying efforts on behalf of the manufacturers. The only reason I'm a member is for the cheap roadside assistance.

It really is the worst when other people in a national organization have different goals from mine. Don't they know how important what I want is? To think they're wasting years on what their inferior desires are...

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

PCOS Bill posted:

It really is the worst when other people in a national organization have different goals from mine. Don't they know how important what I want is? To think they're wasting years on what their inferior desires are...

Stuff it, troll.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

PCOS Bill posted:

gently caress off, man. Could you just be a normal dude on CA, and do your weirdo gimmick in PYF?

The_Raven posted:

I'm glad you gave them feedback on this. It probably won't help, given the manufacturer influence of money, but it's better than just bitching about it on a random forum they will never see.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

I'm glad you gave them feedback on this. It probably won't help, given the manufacturer influence of money, but it's better than just bitching about it on a random forum they will never see.

If only I could change the world by doing something I'm good at :sigh:

tjones
May 13, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Take one foot path bridge at time. One man can't wheelie them all.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Coydog posted:

gently caress off, man. Could you just be a normal dude on CA, and do your weirdo gimmick in PYF?

I'm sorry His Highness isn't getting his way on his golden throne, but his issues aren't the only ones to tackle.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The_Raven posted:

Good job. Also like the NRA wrt guns, they don't really have much to do any more with motorcycles. Their true focus is just righteous outrage.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Like what?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

I want to rob banks.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:thejoke:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

PCOS Bill posted:

I'm sorry His Highness isn't getting his way on his golden throne, but his issues aren't the only ones to tackle.

Please explain why fighting the evil native American expansions onto White land is a battle worth having.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Chichevache posted:

Please explain why fighting the evil native American expansions onto White land is a battle worth having.

You're pretty good at putting words in someone else's mouth. All I said is one person doesn't get to steer millions in an organization just because he thinks his ideas are more important than the ones they've decided to pursue. If they don't agree with him, well, tough titty, form your own organization to lobby against them.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Holy poo poo you stupid grandma. If I turn on my brights and lay on my horn when you pull out in front of me, the answer is not to keep lazily pulling into traffic and give me a friendly wave, like I just let you merge, as I'm grabbing my brakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
It's funny that in 2017 PCOS Bill can still bait people into getting upset.