Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

Does he have a history of doing it? I'd get saying it was intentional if a player has a history but idk enough about Zaza Pachulia to say

I've had people undercut me when playing pickup and im sure it wasn't intentional, I think its just a thing that happens from time to time.

I tend to err on the side of thinking most 'dirty' plays in the NBA are unintentional / just careless

The guys you play pickup with are clumsy normals, not highly trained super aware veteran athletes, and yes he's known as a dirty player who starts fights and plays outside the rules

xbilkis posted:

It's a dirty and reckless play; that doesn't inherently make it intentional

I think it's hard to ascribe motive to an oafish 7 footer's bad footwork defending on the perimeter

I 100% guarantee that oaf is faster, more graceful, more coordinated, and more aware of his body on the court than anyone you know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
The undercut is not a new invention. He very clearly shuffles his feet to get underneath Leonard. I don't know if you guys are confused because of the disorienting size of these dudes but Pachulia had to cover a bunch of extra distance and alter the angle of his run in order to step into that deliberately dangerous position, which was never the spot you'd be going for if you were trying to play normally. He also has a history of doing similar things.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
can someone link me to that twitter Spurs fan reaction joke that was out recently
trying to find it but that's my sentiment
gently caress steph curry he's made of lemonade and oat meal brewed in a juicero
the basketball gods punished me for buying champagne before kawhi got injured but it doesn't mean anything

#siliconshook

SCARYJEINFELD
Oct 30, 2012

It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.
going to preempt this by saying im not necessarily saying anyone here is doing this, if you want to rage at someone please don't do it to me, I just want to make some posts

feeling like the only reason a guy like Zaza or Olynk can get away with doing dirty, reckless, and flagrantly dangerous things is because they're white guys so everyone just brushes it off as them being awkward or oafish or uncoordinated and thus its not intentional, as if they're a Steinbeck character hugging a fragile woman and not, you know, a professional athlete who has spent more time playing this sport then most of us have done of any one thing. While it is true Zaza is a gangly buffoon, he is not the archetype of the misunderstood giant, but a truly diabolical frankenstein who should be attacked with pitchforks. there are a lot of unspoken about racial dynamics in the NBA and I think this is one of them

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Counterpoint: Dray

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Zaza doesn't have magical superpowers that meant he knew exactly where to put his foot so Kawhi would land on it and injure himself. However he absolutely 100% knew when he took that extra step there was the possibility of Kawhi getting tangled, therefore it's intentional and should be a flagrant 1 imho.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

SCARYJEINFELD posted:

going to preempt this by saying im not necessarily saying anyone here is doing this, if you want to rage at someone please don't do it to me, I just want to make some posts

feeling like the only reason a guy like Zaza or Olynk can get away with doing dirty, reckless, and flagrantly dangerous things is because they're white guys so everyone just brushes it off as them being awkward or oafish or uncoordinated and thus its not intentional, as if they're a Steinbeck character hugging a fragile woman and not, you know, a professional athlete who has spent more time playing this sport then most of us have done of any one thing. While it is true Zaza is a gangly buffoon, he is not the archetype of the misunderstood giant, but a truly diabolical frankenstein who should be attacked with pitchforks. there are a lot of unspoken about racial dynamics in the NBA and I think this is one of them

Can I have some of the drugs that you're doing?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Stephan Curry and the Golden State Warriors are made of five dead men, all of them too soft to handle Kawhi Leonard and his 1000 foot hands

Chinese nationals and brogrammers celebrated the victory of late capitalism, but they are nothing more than the detritus left behind by David Lee cumming all over San Francisco's face

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The Golden State Warrior are literally dead and I have poo poo on their faces a thousand times

No, watching this performance live DID NOT make me schizophrenic, why do you ask?

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

SCARYJEINFELD posted:

possible, but I think you are overestimating the number of people who think Zaza & Olynk are not dirty (while thinking black players are). The vast majority of popular & professional opinion seems to be in agreement that they those two are dirty. I think you may be railing against an opinion that really doesn't exist very much anymore

That being said I tend to vote innocent for everybody (for example I think Draymond's nut kicks were not intentional, and that Olynk was probably not trying to hurt Kevin Love but rather just cheat for a rebound)

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

EvanTH posted:

The undercut is not a new invention. He very clearly shuffles his feet to get underneath Leonard. I don't know if you guys are confused because of the disorienting size of these dudes but Pachulia had to cover a bunch of extra distance and alter the angle of his run in order to step into that deliberately dangerous position, which was never the spot you'd be going for if you were trying to play normally. He also has a history of doing similar things.

on top of that, his first foot shuffle is already enough to undercut leonard, just leonard is kind of fading back so he had to take a second step to make sure

leonard was barely touching the three point line with the back of his shoes when he shot and pachulia's whole giant loving foot ended up over the line

SCARYJEINFELD
Oct 30, 2012

illcendiary posted:

Counterpoint: Dray

maybe you have a point but I think he gets his fair share of vitriol. Plus I think he's more normal dirty (sneaking in fouls, playing the refs, being physical, relatively normal stuff) then "intentionally injure a guy" dirty. There's room for "clean" dirty players in the league, but not injure a guy dirty.

the only reason sports journalists love him is because he's "well spoken" anyway, which you can argue is some kind of weird racial signifier that just means "talks white". Didn't follow the NBA very closely during the Bowen era, did everyone hate him/is he "well spoken", maybe he's the best argument against what I'm saying. Either way the NBA isn't post racial or anything ridiculous like that and I think the way people talk about someone like Kelly Olynyk would be different if he wasn't white

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Can I have some of the drugs that you're doing?

it's not hard to find drugs. just because i'm paranoid doesn't mean the world isn't racist

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

possible, but I think you are overestimating the number of people who think Zaza & Olynk are not dirty (while thinking black players are). The vast majority of popular & professional opinion seems to be in agreement that they those two are dirty. I think you may be railing against an opinion that really doesn't exist very much anymore

That being said I tend to vote innocent for everybody (for example I think Draymond's nut kicks were not intentional, and that Olynk was probably not trying to hurt Kevin Love but rather just cheat for a rebound)

I live in Boston and anecdotally many people I spoke to brushed off the Kelly thing as him being awkward, even "woke" people. Plus everyone acted like Oubre bodying him was totally out of nowhere when the guy clearly sets some wacky screens

but please dont let me derail this thread into debating how racist everyone is/isnt, im sorry

SCARYJEINFELD fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 15, 2017

Kiger_Soze
Feb 1, 2005
Its tough for spurs to complain about undercutting shooters... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R11DwHNKYwg&t=206s

also Curry gets undercut on his 3 pt attempts all the time. I read somewhere he practices falling after a shot to save his ankles.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

This post gave me chills. I envy your innocent soul.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

We had an undercut with Horford against Morris about two weeks ago. Can we get this undercut bullshit out of the league or promote it to flagrant?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

illcendiary posted:

The lovely thing is that there's really no recourse for it. Zaza gets suspended and what? Warriors suffer the consequences of not playing one of their worst players? Wonderful

Pop needs to put in a call to Scotty Brooks and 'borrow' Gortat the Zaza-Slinger for a game. Put a wig and beard on him, idk, just spitballin

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

SCARYJEINFELD posted:

maybe you have a point but I think he gets his fair share of vitriol. Plus I think he's more normal dirty (sneaking in fouls, playing the refs, being physical, relatively normal stuff) then "intentionally injure a guy" dirty. There's room for "clean" dirty players in the league, but not injure a guy dirty.

the only reason sports journalists love him is because he's "well spoken" anyway, which you can argue is some kind of weird racial signifier that just means "talks white". Didn't follow the NBA very closely during the Bowen era, did everyone hate him/is he "well spoken", maybe he's the best argument against what I'm saying. Either way the NBA isn't post racial or anything ridiculous like that and I think the way people talk about someone like Kelly Olynyk would be different if he wasn't white

it's not hard to find drugs

No actually he sends his leg up frequently and tries to claim it's a natural falling motion, and then has his fanbase come up with weird video-game-physics-engine-glitch explanations for it. This is in addition to the leeway he is granted with referees, which is frankly something the NBA has chosen to accept because they can't just keep ejecting a popular player on a popular team.

The Bruce Bowen thing is whatever. Fair point I guess, two wrongs have never made a right, though.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
https://twitter.com/mikefinger/status/863889042533826561

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SCARYJEINFELD posted:

There's definitely a racial dynamic to why those guys are "scrappy" and "clumsy" yeah but they are also both considered dirty so it's not all that severe

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

If there's anyone who shouldn't be trusted to come out and call someone out, it's Kawhi. Not buying it, but if it makes you feel better then sure, hold on to this

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i haven't watched much of the warriors this year

but god drat was i reminded so much of why i hate them this game

aside from taking out kawhi leonard by the same player who's hands just "accidentally" ended up putting kawhi in an arm bar last season and was thrown out of the game for it, but hey, i like to think everyone's always innocent because i'm an idiot. surely draymond didn't mean to kick the dozens of nut sacks he's kicked

anyway, aside from losing because they lost kawhi, i forgot how much the warriors grab, hold, and set illegal screens. its totally maddening.

the only solution i can see is what the cavs did last year when they countered by setting even more illegal screens and playing even more physical, daring the refs to start having to call that poo poo which they won't.

i don't see how you can beat a team that so blatantly bends the rules and gets away with it.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

real unprecedented and a huge break from his character

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
This whole conversation is undercutting the fact that the Warriors couldn't stop 90 year old manu ginobli dunking repeatedly in the 4th quarter.

Jesus Rocket
Apr 25, 2003
Lmao at people rushing to defend the dirtiest team in the league, the GS Warriors.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
kawhi the kinda guy to get mugged and say it's not the guy's fault but society's lol

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

DeimosRising posted:

There's definitely a racial dynamic to why those guys are "scrappy" and "clumsy" yeah but they are also both considered dirty so it's not all that severe

To me LMA plays like a white man. I couldn't say precisely what I mean by this but I know for a fact it's true.

SCARYJEINFELD
Oct 30, 2012

pulling a Pope John Paul II and forgiving his assassin. Truly Leonard is too good for this world, too good for this sport, a pious man

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

mormonpartyboat posted:

kawhi the kinda guy to get mugged and say it's not the guy's fault but society's lol

lmao

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Jesus Rocket posted:

Lmao at people rushing to defend the dirtiest team in the league, the GS Warriors.
Sure that's what goes on here

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

EvanTH posted:

To me LMA plays like a white man. I couldn't say precisely what I mean by this but I know for a fact it's true.

i agree, at some point during the game i started browsing his wikipedia article for a way to call him european

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

SCARYJEINFELD posted:

I live in Boston and anecdotally many people I spoke to brushed off the Kelly thing as him being awkward, even "woke" people. Plus everyone acted like Oubre bodying him was totally out of nowhere when the guy clearly sets some wacky screens

Don't you think that might be because fans are willing to stick up for their team's players, as opposed to a racial thing?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/JabariJYoung/status/863894784225628160

guess this matter is done and dusted then

SCARYJEINFELD
Oct 30, 2012

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

Don't you think that might be because fans are willing to stick up for their team's players, as opposed to a racial thing?

they weren't all from Boston (but they were all (((white))))

SCARYJEINFELD fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 15, 2017

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

EvanTH posted:

Plays like a shittier Dirk, crossed with a shittier and less severely mutated Kevin McHale

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Patty Mills being awful is quietly being swept under

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Tae posted:

He can't play at his bench pace of being a full-court pest and switching machine for 37 minutes. Willing to give him a pass since he did a nice job in the Houston series.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tae posted:

what the guy above said, and he's too short

the warriors are long and athletic so when he gets switched on to they're there to contest

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Makes me wish Murray had like a year more experience and also weighed 30 pounds more. Seems like in time he could be a solid player.

I never entertained ideas of winning this series, even with the first half today (see: Game 1 Houston-SA, except with the trailing team being worlds better). I just want someone to prevent 16-0.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

They need a big defensive point, yeah. If only the Spurs hadn't traded George Hill for some guy who isn't even playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

They need a big defensive point, yeah. If only the Spurs hadn't traded George Hill for some guy who isn't even playing

you'd have a point if george hill was ever playing either

• Locked thread