Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Say Hello To My Little Friend
We need a spinoff Aku show where he terrorizes a different protagonist every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Aku is so god drat entertaining

Related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xpURSoE_Ng

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Thern posted:

We need a spinoff Aku show where he terrorizes a different protagonist every week.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
You know what else affects Aku?

That's right.

Scotsman's enchanted sword :getin:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/phillamarr/status/863752336484823041

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Slime posted:

Between this, the other time he disguised himself as a woman and the MALAAAAAISE Aku felt without Jack I'm honestly convinced he's straight up in love but terrible at expressing it because he's literally made of evil.

So you're saying that Ashi is actually a manifestation of Aku's true feelings for Jack?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

You know what else affects Aku?

That's right.

Scotsman's enchanted sword :getin:

Aku broke it.

Now it's a ghost sword.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
show is good but i wish the writing were tighter, especially with ashi's arc and characterization after being told the truth

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Why is Phil Lamar's name in the ((())) tag that neo-nazis use to dogwhistle that someone is jewish?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Covok posted:

Why is Phil Lamar's name in the ((())) tag that neo-nazis use to dogwhistle that someone is jewish?

a bunch of jewish (and i guess other minorities in the case of Lamarr) did it to...own the nazis i guess? i don't really remember why but a lot of people did it against the nazis

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

mandatory lesbian posted:

a bunch of jewish (and i guess other minorities in the case of Lamarr) did it to...own the nazis i guess? i don't really remember why but a lot of people did it against the nazis

Feels like that just gives a fig leaf for Nazis to claim their using it ironically in support of that while secretly doing it for real.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

It started getting used a lot as a way to "reclaim" it or obfuscate the meaning of the tagging? I never really thought that was a good idea but I suppose it's not really my ground to say

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
IIRC it started with Jewish journalists doing it first, as a way of saying "gently caress you Nazis, yes I'm Jewish, and I'm proud of it", and then it spread to other figures doing it out of solidarity.

Edit: Obfuscation might have also been part of it, or different people doing it for different reasons.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
aku got bored one day and gave a sample of his seed essence to some cultists. nice.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
I want that song that plays when Scaramouche is crawling toward Aku's lair.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I want to know how he apparently gained control of that octopus.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

You can't stop the magical music that is him, babe.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

PhazonLink posted:

Aku broke it.

Now it's a ghost sword.

but half of it is still sharp

also IT HAS CELTIC MAGIC YA BABBY :byodood:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Regalingualius posted:

Same way he got onto the dog.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
By the way, did anyone notice there was more reverb in Aku's voice after he found out about Jack, as opposed to earlier in the season when he was full MEH-LAISE?

I really want there to be a difference

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?

Has this been verified? Because everywhere else I look implies it's just 20 minutes.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
TV Listings for next week say just a half hour.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
It seems to me like there is some reverb now; though still not as much as there was with Mako's Aku.

Speaking of Aku, this next theory is pretty far out even for me, but...I'm really starting to wonder if Aku will actually die at the end of this show. Again, I KNOW how silly it sounds with everything Aku's done in the past, but...it's just weird to me that they're not doing more to play up his menace. He's acted pretty evil this episode, and in Episode 7, but it seems like they're really playing up his goofy moments as well. Out of all the evil villains introduced this season, him and Scaramouch seem like the most relatable; and that's an odd quality to have for a series that's supposedly supposed to end with his death. That, and we have this quote from Jack's father all the way back in Season 1 Episode 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuoOgyHkn80&t=3m13s

In context, it sounds like he's just telling Jack not to rely on only his sword to beat Aku, but, it also seems to fit what I'm seeing as a larger theme to Season 5; that violence really does not accomplish much. I mean...

-------------------------

1) Both Jack and Aku have spent their whole lives hating and trying to kill each other, and neither one has accomplished diddly squat. They're an unstoppable force and an immovable object.

2) Ashi was converted not by force, but by acts of compassion on Jack's part.

3) Jack directly stated that his anger and rage are what kept him trapped in the past for so long, and that he needed to extinguish Mad!Jack before he could finally touch the sword again.

4) Jack has NOW had his sword taken away yet again! He may just need to find another way to deal with Aku!

-------------------------

So maybe Ashi is that missing link that will finally end the conflict? She is both human and Aku in one body; maybe Aku will actually be influenced by her in some way? Maybe she'll pass on some of the same values that Jack passed on to her, and it'll be JACK "infecting" Aku instead of the other way around? Or maybe Ashi's life is tied to Aku's in some way, and Aku needs to behave himself if he doesn't want Ashi killing herself with Jack's sword (assuming she regains control of her body)? Or maybe Aku "absorbs" Ashi into his body, but then has his nature changed by the goodness in her heart?

I know it sounds crazy; but I feel like this season is REALLY hammering home the futility of violence; especially when trying to deal with Aku. Is anyone else thinking along those same lines?

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 15, 2017

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?

Zesty posted:

TV Listings for next week say just a half hour.

Knew it, too good to be true.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
April FOOOOOOOOOOLSSSSSS

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
That episode was hilariously awful in literally every way. I was laughing hysterically throughout the whole thing as every single line of dialogue was the most utterly predictable cliche garbage possible.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

That episode was hilariously awful in literally every way. I was laughing hysterically throughout the whole thing as every single line of dialogue was the most utterly predictable cliche garbage possible.

You're just plain lying if you think Aku's lines during the episode were predictable or cliche. I agree that everything involving Jack and Ashi was boring melodrama, and a lot of it cliche boring melodrama to boot, but the Aku stuff was still good. Especially him setting up a recording to turn people away because he's too depressed to deal with them any more.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

My exact reaction to this episode until the cut to scaramouche. The rest of the episode was great.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Unit24 posted:

Knew it, too good to be true.

Maybe it will be commercial free.

30 min. 18 mins will be dialog free.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Yeah I agree with you on this for the most part. The Aku and Scaramouche parts got a pass from me, but the lines between Jack and Ashi were some that I heard in different shows many times before. However in this show it fell flat because of how rushed and ham-fisted this show has been between romance.

Edit: if they go for the idea that goons have been saying where since Ashi is part Aku, she can create time portals, that would be pretty cool not going to lie.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 15, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

Maybe it will be commercial free.

30 min. 18 mins will be dialog free.

i wouldn't love this in literally any episode that didn't have Aku in it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
like for all the mess ups they've had Aku has always been delightfully hamming it up and I want him to talk

hell make the last episode just him taunting Jack for most of it, i'll eat it up

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I really liked Ashi's design after she transforms. I'm looking forwards to seeing how the show wraps up.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

moosecow333 posted:

I really liked Ashi's design after she transforms. I'm looking forwards to seeing how the show wraps up.

The shot of her fully transformed with the flaming sword(and eyebrows!) with Aku laughing in the background was good.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

The best of the series was always, and still is, Aku, and if nothing else the final episode is guaranteed to have a lot of him.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

nerdbot posted:

The best of the series was always, and still is, Aku, and if nothing else the final episode is guaranteed to have a lot of him.

"Gendy! You've got to bring out your best if you want to win the Emmys! And your best, is MEEEEEEE!!"

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
A Space Ghost CtC-style show with Aku hosting. The Scotsman is Moltar. Scaramouche is Zorak.
Jack is Brak.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Das Boo posted:

A Space Ghost CtC-style show with Aku hosting. The Scotsman is Moltar. Scaramouche is Zorak.
Jack is Brak.

Yes.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Das Boo posted:

Jack is Brak.

Jack: I'm gonna strip! I'm gonna take off my gi, I'm gonna strip!
Aku: Jack, put your gi back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Das Boo posted:

Jack is Brak.

5/5, 10/10, take me now!

• Locked thread