Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Evil_Urna posted:

Woah there man, you are coming dangerously close to some anti antisemitism here.

I have 'arrived'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

TheRat posted:

I have 'arrived'

Arrived at what? Antisemitism?

Everyone in here calling Hakimashou a Nazi when you right here are slamming on Jews?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Evil_Urna posted:

France, and they are teetering on the edge of a civil war there by some accounts.
Those accounts are written by crazy people who have no clue about anything whatsoever in France, just so you know.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Im trying to understand why corbyn is so persistently tone-deaf about stuff like terrorism and soviet/russian imperialism.

Is it just that he's always existed in a crazy bubble/echo chamber and truly doesn't get why normal people would take umbrage at these bizarre views of his?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Evil_Urna posted:

Everyone in here calling Hakimashou a Nazi when you right here are slamming on Jews?
The Israeli government. Come on new right-wing guy, you're not going to be able to pull this poo poo in here.

It seems like you're American? Just make your poorly informed "What the gently caress, England?" post, incorrectly equate something to being the equivalent of the Democrats/Republicans/Red Sox and move on, just like the last six or seven guys.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Terrorism isn't scary and Russia doesn't have enough money to take over the EU if it wanted to.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
If we don't participate in NATO the Russians might send the Admiral Kuznetsov to pollute our waters with fumes and the occasional MiG that falls overboard.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Terrorism isn't scary and Russia doesn't have enough money to take over the EU if it wanted to.

Furthermore, every Russian person with power has a trillion euros hidden away in luxury property all across Europe.

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Terrorism isn't scary.

I don't know. I am sure people at the Bataclan, in Nice, in Brussles, in Paris, in the metro in St. Petersberg, at the Berlin Christmas market, on the bridge in London, and at the pedestrian mall in Stockholm all though Terrorism was pretty scary. But they were prob just centrists or reactionaries.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TheRat posted:

Furthermore, every Russian person with power has a trillion euros hidden away in luxury property all across Europe.

That too, I suppose given that they own half of london maybe they might appreciate not having to go through customs if they wanted to visit?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TheRat posted:

I want to take this post, frame it and use it as a hazard symbol.
in the distant future, a traveler traverses a long dead wasteland. He comes across a sign in an unfamiliar tongue. "This place is not a place of honor. No highly esteemed deed is commemorated here."

He ignores it and continues walking, collecting significant debris in his tote bag.

"Nothing valued is here. This place is a message and part of a system of messages."

Mere symbols. He has seen many like it saying '55mph' and 'no right turn on red' which he has ignored.

"Pay attention to it! Sending this message was important to us."

Frantic, but still without meaning. Perhaps a holy place is ahead. Maybe there is treasure.

Evil_Urna posted:

Without the American military in Europe to calm things down, or her nuclear umbrella you would be staring down your fourth major war on the on the continent. Just because you want to winge at America and vote Labor does not make it any different. I would vote Tory everyday of the week if the choice for Labor would be a man like Corbyn who, besides being a communist, wants nothing more then the brick by brick destruction of everything the UK has built here and in Israel.

He discards his bag and turns around, empty handed.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Evil_Urna posted:

Hi, I'm an Israeli Jew. Criticism of Israel is not antisemitism. Go gently caress yourself.

Evil_Urna posted:

I don't know. I am sure people at the Bataclan, in Nice, in Brussles, in Paris, in the metro in St. Petersberg, at the Berlin Christmas market, on the bridge in London, and at the pedestrian mall in Stockholm all though Terrorism was pretty scary. But they were prob just centrists or reactionaries.

Terrorism is frightening on an individual scale, yes. On a state level, it doesn't threaten any European country at the moment. Also, unless you were at any of those places, please don't speak for people who have actually experienced terrorism first hand, alright? It's disrespectful to everyone that has.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

in the distant future, a traveler traverses a long dead wasteland. He comes across a sign in an unfamiliar tongue. "This place is not a place of honor. No highly esteemed deed is commemorated here."

He ignores it and continues walking, collecting significant debris in his tote bag.

"Nothing valued is here. This place is a message and part of a system of messages."

Mere symbols. He has seen many like it saying '55mph' and 'no right turn on red' which he has ignored.

"Pay attention to it! Sending this message was important to us."

Frantic, but still without meaning. Perhaps a holy place is ahead. Maybe there is treasure.

Evil_Urna posted:

Without the American military in Europe to calm things down, or her nuclear umbrella you would be staring down your fourth major war on the on the continent. Just because you want to winge at America and vote Labor does not make it any different. I would vote Tory everyday of the week if the choice for Labor would be a man like Corbyn who, besides being a communist, wants nothing more then the brick by brick destruction of everything the UK has built here and in Israel.

He discards his bag and turns around, empty handed.

:hfive:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Evil_Urna posted:

I think possibly the UK might be quite good at knowing when terrorism is something to be concerned about.

And right now isn't one of those times.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Miftan posted:

Hi, I'm an Israeli Jew. Criticism of Israel is not antisemitism. Go gently caress yourself.

Prepare to hear about self hating Jews.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OfficialGBSCaliph posted:

Prepare to hear about self hating Jews.

Mate, this is half my life. I'm just waiting for that glorious moment when someone here calls me a quisling.

I love it when people who don't know poo poo talk about terrorist attacks, what with all their extensive wikipedia searches on it.

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I think possibly the UK might be quite good at knowing when terrorism is something to be concerned about.

And right now isn't one of those times.

So we just let people get run down and shot up until it reaches an acceptable body count then we do something about it? What do you tell the families of the dead in the meantime? "Sorry about your entire family getting pulped under the tyres of a semi, we could have stopped it but not enough people had died yet"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Americans in "more right-wing than the British" shocker.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Americans in "more right-wing than the British" shocker.

I dunno about that. Millions more Americans voted for hillary than for trump, the American people were wise.

Meanwhile, you guys legit voted for the brexit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You tell them whatever helps them feel better but ultimately terrorism does not constitute a remotely significant threat to society or any given person statistically.

You might as well spend all your money building a giant faraday dome over the country to prevent lightning strikes because you could theoretically have prevented people from dying because of them.

Resources would be far better allocated to any of the myriad things that kill shitloads more people every year but which nobody reports on because who cares about poor people dying because of underfunded healthcare that doesn't sell papers.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Evil_Urna posted:

So we just let people get run down and shot up until it reaches an acceptable body count then we do something about it? What do you tell the families of the dead in the meantime? "Sorry about your entire family getting pulped under the tyres of a semi, we could have stopped it but not enough people had died yet"

Thanks for ignoring my posts!

The actual answer is to sort out the underlying issues that cause people to do this sort of stuff (poverty, racism, etc.) while, unfortunately, suffering the loss of life that the state has brought on itself with lovely foreign and domestic policies. Yeah, it's lovely, but you're not gonna solve this sort of stuff by doubling down on misery (see: Israel)

OwlFancier posted:

Resources would be far better allocated to any of the myriad things that kill shitloads more people every year but which nobody reports on because who cares about poor people dying because of underfunded healthcare that doesn't sell papers.

Also this, put that money into the NHS, better training for drivers and road works which kill far more people, etc.

Why aren't you worried about what we're telling all the people dying from, frankly, stupid and completely avoidable issues like NHS underfunding and bad roads?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

OwlFancier posted:

You tell them whatever helps them feel better but ultimately terrorism does not constitute a remotely significant threat to society or any given person statistically.

You might as well spend all your money building a giant faraday dome over the country to prevent lightning strikes because you could theoretically have prevented people from dying because of them.

It doesn't constitute a significant threat to the individual, but it constitutes a very potent threat to society.

The iraq war and the brexit for instance are the consequences of terrorist attacks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hakimashou posted:

It doesn't constitute a significant threat to the individual, but it constitutes a very potent threat to society.

No it doesn't unless you count authoritarian government responses. The UK did not collapse because of the IRA but it has been improved by the peace settlement.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

hakimashou posted:

How?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

OwlFancier posted:

No it doesn't unless you count authoritarian government responses.

Which you have to 'count' unless you want to just play pretend.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

hakimashou posted:

I dunno about that. Millions more Americans voted for hillary than for trump, the American people were wise.

Meanwhile, you guys legit voted for the brexit.

There wasn't a left wing choice.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

9/11 lead to the war in Iraq, which lead to the crisis in syria and in other parts of the arab world, which lead to the refugree crisis and to the brexit.

Isn't the brexit an issue for society?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hakimashou posted:

The government has ample option to take a sensible approach, that they elect not to makes them a threat to society, not the terrorists.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

hakimashou posted:

The iraq war and the brexit for instance are the consequences of terrorist attacks.

What the

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

hakimashou posted:

Right, so let's vote in a government that won't do that. That Corbyn fella seems like a pacifist, maybe he'd do?

Also go gently caress yourself you genocide apologist. This is a friendly reminder that hakimashou thinks that you shouldn't try to challenge current power structures if you can't win, and if you do and die, well, that's on your own fault for not accepting your life of slavery/second class citizenship and trying to do something about it.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyn-finally-accepts-brexit-10424465

quote:

Jeremy Corbyn has finally accepted the free movement of people from Europe must end with Brexit.
In an election interview with ITV to be broadcast on Monday, the Labour leader said he now accepts controls on immigration are essential.
“Clearly the free movement ends when we leave the European Union,” he said.
“There will be managed migration and it will be fair.”
Mr Corbyn’s admission is a significant shift for the Labour leader and brings him in line with his Brexit Secretary Keir Starmer, who has said repeatedly that free movement of people must end.
So that's Labour lining up in support of a hard Brexit and the loss of all single market benefits then.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Evil_Urna posted:

We introduced much stricter laws on handgun ownership following Dunblane. You Americans should look into it sometime.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

LemonDrizzle posted:

So that's Labour lining up in support of a hard Brexit and the loss of all single market benefits then.

Havent you made this post ever other day for half a year or so?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyn-finally-accepts-brexit-10424465

Well, we're hosed. Only possible silver lining is that they somehow get into power and then don't follow through, which is about is likely as a modern european nation state collapsing under the weight of middle eastern terrorism.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Miftan posted:

Right, so let's vote in a government that won't do that. That Corbyn fella seems like a pacifist, maybe he'd do?

Also go gently caress yourself you genocide apologist. This is a friendly reminder that hakimashou thinks that you shouldn't try to challenge current power structures if you can't win, and if you do and die, well, that's on your own fault for not accepting your life of slavery/second class citizenship and trying to do something about it.

Find someone like that who isn't also a basket-case dumpster-fire, anti NATO, etc, and then maybe we can talk.

People are going to get scared and defensive when they get blown up or shot or run over while going about their daily lives by people who desperately hate them.

Terrorist attacks will continue to fuel right wing politics forever. It's not an issue that can or should be ignored.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

hakimashou posted:

9/11 lead to the war in Iraq, which lead to the crisis in syria and in other parts of the arab world, which lead to the refugree crisis and to the brexit.

Isn't the brexit an issue for society?

So the threat of terrorism to society is caused by the actions of right wing governments taking authoritarian actions in the consequences of them.

And your solution is turn to right wing governments who will introduce authoritarian actions as opposed to a left wing pacifist one that wouldn't.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

hakimashou posted:

Find someone like that who isn't also a basket-case dumpster-fire, anti NATO, etc, and then maybe we can talk.

People are going to get scared and defensive when they get blown up or shot or run over while going about their daily lives by people who desperately hate them.

Terrorist attacks will continue to fuel right wing politics forever. It's not an issue that can or should be ignored.

I never said we should ignore it, you rear end. I said we should address the underlying causes instead of doing the equivalent of smacking a dog for pissing on the rug. Terrorism is fueled by authoritarian governments being dicks to their own populace and those over seas so your suggestion is to... Do more of that?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LemonDrizzle posted:

I mean he is kind of, well, right. I can't see how it could be remotely politically acceptable to have the current free movement with the EU without being part of it.

It's not much of a policy though, it doesn't really say anything, though I can't really say I blame him for not saying anything given Labour can't give a policy position on immigration that doesn't shoot itself in one of its feet.

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

Miftan posted:

Thanks for ignoring my posts!

The actual answer is to sort out the underlying issues that cause people to do this sort of stuff (poverty, racism, etc.) while, unfortunately, suffering the loss of life that the state has brought on itself with lovely foreign and domestic policies. Yeah, it's lovely, but you're not gonna solve this sort of stuff by doubling down on misery (see: Israel)

I was responding to a more interesting one but ok I guess you can get some attention too. So the people of Europe need to soak up the bullets, bombs, and tyres of Islam to pay reparations for "colonialism"? Is that what your saying? I legit am not understanding. By your logic, the Jewish people should bear the responsibility of Israeli governments actions in the middle east, regardless of their culpability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Or we could have a defence pact lead by the EU which isn't a front for US interests.

All of the Ukrainian bodies decomposing in ditches around Debaltsave must be thanking their lucky stars that they had the wise diplomatic influence and formidable economic clout of the EU invested in the Minsk accords to protect them.

• Locked thread