Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I just hope they don't make cuts in the writing staff. This show is so much better than Flash and I'd hate to see the gap close on this end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Argue posted:

Save money on special powers effects by making the villain Taskmaster and having Kevin Tanchaoren direct every episode.

Save money on guest stars by 3D printing the evil Fitz, giving him a cool visor, and then have him say something like "You [good Fitz], you're a builder. But me, I'm more of a... maker".

Save money in general by having Coulson and the team set up a new spy base underneath a Subway™.

Please do not save money by providing mercy work to Iron Fist's choreography team.

kayakyakr posted:

Really happy that this got a full season 5 order. While I actually prefer drama's with the 10-13 episode season, I'm really a fan of how this show does their mini season arcs. Totally on board. 6 seasons and a (mention in a) movie?

I love the pod format. I'm a big fan of shows with less episodes per season because I hate the necessary drag outs, but by basically doing 3 seasons each season, they're all snappy and yet we still get a lot of episodes. It's a really smart idea that a handful of shows are using, and I think is the best way to do a 22 episode season hands down. You can keep some overall elements the whole season (like the Darkhold) yet never have to spin your wheels. It's win/win.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 13, 2017

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Even cow shows understand the benefit of having multiple season finales in a season.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Blazing Ownager posted:

Please do not save money by providing mercy work to Iron Fist's choreography team.

Kevin Tanchaoren actually started as a AOS director in 2014 and has since done other comic book shows as well. The Iron Fist episode he directed had the only decent fight in the series, and it is one of the few episodes that didn't completely suck. His AOS episodes are usually top notch.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
His directing credits from S2?

- Face My Enemy (2014)
- One of Us (2015)
- The Dirty Half Dozen (2015)

AKA: The May Does A Flying Face-Slam Of Another May's Face Into A Coffee Table Episode, The Really Great One Where Skye's Dad Recruits A B-Team Of Crappy Villains, and this episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MUKXSEBBZQ

Yeah, keep giving him work. Don't blame the poor guy for unwittingly participating in a Scott Buck gently caress-up.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Argue posted:

Save money in general by having Coulson and the team set up a new spy base underneath a Subway™.
In season 5, The Bus will be an actual Volkswagen bus. Icers will be replaced with thrown handfuls of ice cubes. Daisy will be struck with osteoporosis, meaning she can't ever use her powers for fear of shattering her entire skeleton. The new headquarters will be a small wood and aluminum shack in Mack's backyard.

Marvel's Agents of S.H.E.D.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

notthegoatseguy posted:

Kevin Tanchaoren actually started as a AOS director in 2014 and has since done other comic book shows as well. The Iron Fist episode he directed had the only decent fight in the series, and it is one of the few episodes that didn't completely suck. His AOS episodes are usually top notch.

One of two (the top down elevator wasn't Lee quality, but it was a cool take on the elevator fight), but holy poo poo, the open on them in China... A background shot of an incredibly easily recognized bridge in New Jersey (Bayonne)...

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

That's one of the few perks of living in the Midwest and not having enough money to travel.

I rarely notice things that don't match the location like skylines or landmarks that aren't nationally/globally iconic.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I feel the same way because of not being from the US. There is always someone who complains that random tv city doesn't actually look like that city in real life, because apparently half the shows on tv are shot in Canada.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I mean, I don't mind if the city y doesn't look right because it was filmed in city x, but you gotta be real careful if you're going to use a landmark-type building/bridge. That stuff is easily recognizable. I mean, they spent good cash on changing out the background of that shot to look plausibly Chinese, why not just hire a film team out of China to shoot some b-roll of a Chinese landmark bridge and use that as your establishing shot instead?

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?

kayakyakr posted:

I mean, I don't mind if the city y doesn't look right because it was filmed in city x, but you gotta be real careful if you're going to use a landmark-type building/bridge. That stuff is easily recognizable. I mean, they spent good cash on changing out the background of that shot to look plausibly Chinese, why not just hire a film team out of China to shoot some b-roll of a Chinese landmark bridge and use that as your establishing shot instead?

This is how I felt watching Fringe and being from Boston.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
That's actually something that AoS has done fairly well: when it goes on location, it's usually gone to the actual location (or somewhere so nondescript that it might as well be).

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Argue posted:

Save money on guest stars by 3D printing the evil Fitz, giving him a cool visor, and then have him say something like "You [good Fitz], you're a builder. But me, I'm more of a... maker".

See, I know you're joking, but this actually sounds so much better than what Marvel did with Ultimate Reed.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Ensign_Ricky posted:

See, I know you're joking, but this actually sounds so much better than what Marvel did with Ultimate Reed.

He was pretty great in New Avengers. He always managed to think quite far. But Da Costa always managed to think one step farther.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Loser_Rex posted:

One episode of Leverage was filmed on my old college campus, and I couldn't stop the nagging voice. "That's the main admin building, not the Psychology one." "Don't dump a body off that bridge, the water's only a few inches deep there." "There's no way someone escapes the secret prison cells and staggers all the way across campus undetected for that next scene!"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm from NYC which means that like half the shows and movies I watched were filmed in places I recognize, I can name movies and TV shows that feature my grade school, high school, and other childhood spots, and I've been in the background of a couple things myself.

So I think I just became desensitized to the whole concept of caring where something was filmed.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

STAC Goat posted:

I'm from NYC which means that like half the shows and movies I watched were filmed in places I recognize, I can name movies and TV shows that feature my grade school, high school, and other childhood spots, and I've been in the background of a couple things myself.

So I think I just became desensitized to the whole concept of caring where something was filmed.

Isn't most of that stuff filmed in Vancouver?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Pretty much all of this show is shot in California.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Vancouver is home for like cheaply made sci-fi and "genre" shows which is why nerds are always going on about it.

But there's a million things filmed in NYC. Like, its a daily thing to see major productions going on in the streets and I imagine any native NYers has had their school, work, street, favorite business, or whatever used for a Law and Order set.

The difference here is that the stuff filmed in NYC are all things set in NYC while the stuff filmed in Vancouver are billed as being all over the map. But I meant that like my experiences mean I kind of see all TV and film as "NYC or not" so I barely notice the differences between the "not".

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

STAC Goat posted:

But there's a million things filmed in NYC. Like, its a daily thing to see major productions going on in the streets and I imagine any native NYers has had their school, work, street, favorite business, or whatever used for a Law and Order set.

Hell, I was in NYC for all of 1 week in the middle of Feb and I ran across 2 groups filming something or another. This doesn't surprise me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its a way of life in NYC.

You can get some great food from their catering and if you play it right and have nothing to do you can end up in the background of a movie/show and maybe even make a little money.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

cant cook creole bream posted:

Isn't most of that stuff filmed in Vancouver?

Vancouver, or more recently, Portland. A surprising number of well known movies were filmed here (Short Circuit, Kindergarten Cop, the first Twilight, etc.), plus quite a few recent TV shows (Grimm, Leverage, some of The Flash, etc.)

It makes it a bit easier on the cast and crew in some cases, since they don't have to deal with customs and it's a shorter trip to go between here and L.A., and there isn't a huge cost difference between here and B.C.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
One nice thing about the show Continuum, is that it was filmed in Vancouver and SET in Vancouver, so they didn't have to hide the setting. Seriously, people should check out Continuum, it was a cool little Sci-Fi show that got better every year it was on, kind of like Marvel's Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
On The Flash they traveled to an alternate universe's African jungle that looked suspiciously like a half hour's drive outside of Vancouver.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Pretty much all of this show is shot in California.

Moving production to Canada would save a ton of money.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oooh excuse to bring in Alpha Flight! They're like, mostly not mutants right?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ojjeorago posted:

On The Flash they traveled to an alternate universe's African jungle that looked suspiciously like a half hour's drive outside of Vancouver.

"guess they don't have global warming in this universe."

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I remember watching X-Men: Apocalypse and realizing that "Auschwitz" was the little alcove my friends used to smoke in back in college. It certainly would have made that scene hard to take seriously if it hadn't been so bad to begin with.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Ojjeorago posted:

It's like Stargate where 90% of the alien planets mysteriously look like the woods near Vancouver.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Rhyno posted:

Moving production to Canada would save a ton of money.

At the risk of losing half the cast. I don't really think moving production can be done this late in the shows run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Oasx posted:

At the risk of losing half the cast. I don't really think moving production can be done this late in the shows run.

Didn't X-Files move in the 4th season?

And anyways, they scuttled their headquarters, time to build a whole new set!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Mac is such a loving downer lately. Let him stay in the framework and bring back ward

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Apoplexy posted:

His directing credits from S2?

- Face My Enemy (2014)
- One of Us (2015)
- The Dirty Half Dozen (2015)

AKA: The May Does A Flying Face-Slam Of Another May's Face Into A Coffee Table Episode, The Really Great One Where Skye's Dad Recruits A B-Team Of Crappy Villains, and this episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MUKXSEBBZQ

Yeah, keep giving him work. Don't blame the poor guy for unwittingly participating in a Scott Buck gently caress-up.

May's flying face slam of fake-faced May on the table was a very well executed/ directed moment. My only problem with it is that they didn't finish the fight there, even though it felt like such a great "finish her!" moment, and they went for the electrical cable on the face instead.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Yeah, but you're ignoring the part where Coulson ICEd Bakshi in the hallway and didn't proceed to execute him or plant a tracker on him or anything. Backup was coming, but it shouldn't take too long to kill a guy.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

cant cook creole bream posted:

He was pretty great in New Avengers. He always managed to think quite far. But Da Costa always managed to think one step farther.

My favorite thing about ultimate evil reed was he has full access to the ridiculous Reed Richard can invent anything bullshit but used it for evil. Nano-scale camera creatures, have at it. Hit a button and de-evolve you, why not. Create my own custom sphere of accelerated time and breed a race of people entirely loyal to me with its own insane culture, lets do it.

The Ultimate comics had some really insane poo poo when it became clear that the universe was gonna die and they could do literally whatever they wanted, and Reed blowing up D.C., killing all of Europe and the Norse Gods on top of that just because he could was a definite highlight for me.

I'd be game for a proper super-science villain for them to fight against though, not someone with just a bit of it or scavenging stuff but inventing properly evil stuff at the rate that Fitzsimmons come up with good guy stuff. The closest I can think of is when Hydra started throwing around those devices that turned people into dust.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

NowonSA posted:

The Ultimate comics had some really insane poo poo when it became clear that the universe was gonna die and they could do literally whatever they wanted, and Reed blowing up D.C., killing all of Europe and the Norse Gods on top of that just because he could was a definite highlight for me.

All that happened way before they killed off the universe. Like four years before it actually ended. That was actually the beginning of the last big run before three years later it was decided to wind it down to coincide with the end of Secret Wars.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Ramadu posted:

Mac is such a loving downer lately. Let him stay in the framework and bring back ward

Put Ward in Mack's body! That's a terrible idea but now you all have to live with it too!

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Loser_Rex posted:

Living in Vancouver is weird as hell too, because every city is your city. Fringe in particular was weird for me because I'm from upstate NY, where Reiden Lake is supposed to be (but isn't), and now I live where Reiden Lake was filmed but isn't called that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So many films are shot in Toronto now and its hard to accept this is in some totally different city when Harley Quinn is standing right under the sign for the bloor street subway station, or the Hulk is fighting outside the Zanzibar strip club.

I think more shows are being shot here, I know they filmed Handmaids Tail here and The Expanse as well. Also, lol Star Trek Discovery.

Though wasn't the X-men tv show being shot in Toronto? I feel like I saw that somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Soylentbits posted:

Put Ward in Mack's body! That's a terrible idea but now you all have to live with it too!

Combine Tripp, Ward, and Mack into a new body, and their three personas are in constant conflict with each other and fighting for dominance.

It worked on Gargoyles and it will work now.

• Locked thread