Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

GoldfishStew posted:

Gamora wasn't even featured in a lot of the merch that would show all the guardians. Like on many shirts, it was just groot, rocket star lord and Drax.

And they somehow reduced her even more in this movie.

Why, because she developed a greater depth of character and grew emotionally? Her story with Nebula was my favorite after Yondu/Rocket.

euphronius posted:

Just realized the Mary poppins reference was not random at all.

How so? Is it beyond just Yondu's pose with the arrow or did they set that up some other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I enjoyed the movie and I hope others who saw it found it as enjoyable as I did :)

euphronius posted:

You wouldn't freeze in space anyway . It makes visual sense tho . That's what counts .

Actually, I thought the same thing, but apparently you do freeze in space. Sort of. I'll just quote this person who told me about how it works.

Ranzear posted:

Body temperature water in space is below its vapor pressure (hell, it just has to be above -73C), causing it to boil. This vacuum boiling is endothermic, so the vapor carries away heat from the remaining water, causing it to freeze.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

GoldfishStew posted:

No, I watched the movie, it just seemed to only make "script" sense and not, uh, actual sense...if that makes sense.

Dude has the power to create an entire world but oh no! He's just one child short, he assumes, for some reason, and that if he could only have a child (that he cant create from nothing like he does everything else, for some reason it needs to be part human?) he'd finally be able to do what he wanted to do, which, I guess, was just be everything.

I think it's plausible enough that a cosmic being, while powerful, is limited in his ability to create a being just like himself ex nihilo. He even says it himself, he's a small-g god, not a big-G God.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Filthy Casual posted:

How so? Is it beyond just Yondu's pose with the arrow or did they set that up some other?

Hired help descends from sky, becomes surrogate parent, and takes children on musical adventure?

I mean poo poo doesn't she whistle at birds a whole lot too or something?

kater fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 14, 2017

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

This thread has helped me understand what autistic people have to deal with in their heads. Christ I'd kill myself if I was autistic.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Filthy Casual posted:

Why, because she developed a greater depth of character and grew emotionally? Her story with Nebula was my favorite after Yondu/Rocket.

Hell, Gamora gets hit with the Chickification bat hard in the first movie. Because she's the only female character the film tries to have her be the emotional center of the team and appeal to the others altruistic better natures (despite her characterization as a ruthless and cynical assassin) and she becomes a damsel in distress in need of Quill's saving more times than necessary.

She's much improved as a character and a badass ex-assassin in this movie.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!

FirstAidKite posted:

I enjoyed the movie and I hope others who saw it found it as enjoyable as I did :)

Actually, I thought the same thing, but apparently you do freeze in space. Sort of. I'll just quote this person who told me about how it works.

According to the Book of Life Wikipedia:

quote:

The least severe of these is the freezing of bodily secretions due to evaporative cooling. But severe symptoms such as loss of oxygen in tissue (anoxia), followed by circulatory failure and flaccid paralysis in about 30 seconds.[1] The lungs also collapse (atelectasis) in this process, but will continue to release water vapour leading to cooling and ice formation in the respiratory tract.[1]

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Hodgepodge posted:

According to the Book of Life Wikipedia:

note to self: don't die in space

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I did feel bad for Tommy Flanagan, first role I've seen him in since Sons of Anarchy ended and he just gets a brutal close up death.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Complaining about Gamora-Nebula being rehashed in this one is extremely dumb. It was barely explored in the first one beyond some lines of dialog setting up the conflict and in this one it's fully resolved.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Colonel Whitey posted:

Complaining about Gamora-Nebula being rehashed in this one is extremely dumb. It was barely explored in the first one beyond some lines of dialog setting up the conflict and in this one it's fully resolved.

Exactly.

This movie is not flawless but a lot of the criticisms posted here are just loving stupid.

Why is the rear end in a top hat raccoon walking crimewave not tactically realistic?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Gatts posted:

I would like to chime in and say I will enjoy seeing the attractive movie stars get more sexual in these movies..preferably not the Raccon though. The Duck is fine...I think Lea Thompson still gets gigs

At least they have female gaze shots so I don't even know why peeps think there isn't some degree of sex in the movie. Evans and Hemsworth for some.

The Racoon needs romance in his life. Maybe in the spinoff movie when Rocket goes back to Halfworld? They mentioned some of his pals from there Under known associates in GotG1. Maybe Rocket could team up with Blackjack to clean up some loose ends regarding his origins!

Colonel Whitey posted:

Yeah I really feel like putting some more meat on the very skeletal interplay between them in the first was sorely needed and very welcome.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Colonel Whitey posted:

My only complaint about Gamora and Neblua is that they came to a detente/relationship repair in little more than a single scene. I like the overall arc of the relationship and where it ended in the movie, but the speed with which they got there once they fought in a cave would make the Flash envious.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

sean10mm posted:

This movie is not flawless but a lot of the criticisms posted here are just loving stupid.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Gyges posted:

My only complaint about Gamora and Neblua is that they came to a detente/relationship repair in little more than a single scene. I like the overall arc of the relationship and where it ended in the movie, but the speed with which they got there once they fought in a cave would make the Flash envious.

Sure. Valid criticism but almost nothing happened wrt to this relationship in the first movie so the complaint I was talking about is straight up ridiculous.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Lol it is the same relationship from the first movie but elongated. What new info did you gleam?

It's also a very well trodden sibling rivalry cookie cutter story. It's doubly unoriginal uninspired and boring to watch.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GoldfishStew posted:

Lol it is the same relationship from the first movie but elongated. What new info did you gleam?

It's also a very well trodden sibling rivalry cookie cutter story. It's doubly unoriginal uninspired and boring to watch.

Not really. Most sibling riveraly stories are entirely set on the siblings wanting to be better than one another. Not one of them just wanting acceptance.

Nebula didn't hate Gamora for being better. She hated her for never being a sister.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

Not really. Most sibling riveraly stories are entirely set on the siblings wanting to be better than one another. Not one of them just wanting acceptance.

Nebula didn't hate Gamora for being better. She hated her for never being a sister.

I liked the movie but that's not true at all. One of the siblings turning out to have simply wanted the acceptance of the other all along is a pretty standard trope in these sorts of sibling rivalry stories. What made it interesting to me is Karen Gillan's performance and the way she related the backstory of Thanos replacing pieces of her body with machinery each time she failed to best Gamora in a contest.

The Gamora/Nebula story was far from the most compelling part of the movie, though.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

It could be completely cut out of the movie. It was, "ok, gamora, go off and do this while the boys have fun and do the real mission."

Mantis is a stolen child, made into slave by a man, told she is ugly the entire film by a man, until, in the end, a man tells her she's actually not ugly.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Just saw it today, for a movie that follows tropes as closely as this one did the one part I loved was when Quill's dad revealed the brain tumor and Quill just immediately pulls out his guns and starts blasting him to pieces. No contemplation, no cliche lines "how could you do that" just immediate this man has to die

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.

GoldfishStew posted:

Mantis is a stolen child, made into slave by a man, told she is ugly the entire film by a man, until, in the end, a man tells her she's actually not ugly.

GoldfishStew posted:

Henry is a working class man who eats quail, takes long strolls, and has a baby.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

What does mantis do in the movie? Other than touch people and tell us the emotions we already knew the characters were feeling?

Like, go ahead and like the movie I guess but not admitting this film had poo poo roles for women is just putting your head in the sand.

Also, why did the dad have to say he gave the tumor? Just unnessary villain explaining his plot bond trope that has been made fun of since before Austin powers.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

GoldfishStew posted:

There was almost nothing happening with them in the first movie besides Nebula resenting Gamora and Ronan and Thanos for reasons. The psychology of this is finally explored in Vol. 2 as it's revealed that Nebula didn't hate Gamora, she just wanted her sister to have empathy for her and help her get through a lovely situation. Then it's resolved when Gamora comes to understand this fact and finally offer her sister that comfort, even though it might be too little too late. You can criticize this for not being well executed or whatever but claiming that all this happened in the first movie is completely untruthful. You're just making poo poo up. Your criticisms of this movie are not well thought out, I suggest you spend some time ruminating on what you had problems with and try again.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

GoldfishStew posted:

Also, why did the dad have to say he gave the tumor? Just unnessary villain explaining his plot bond trope that has been made fun of since before Austin powers.

Either Peter is enough of a Celestial that he can accept it, or he's not going to go along with the plan that's about to kill all his friends, including his love interest. Ego wants Peter's cooperation enough to ease him into it, to walk him through his thinking, and to only bring it up once it's relevant. But he's not interested in a partner that he can't be himself with.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A lot of the motivations behind Ego's actions can be figured out when you remember his name is Ego. It's not Rocket science.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is this Movie GOod and Worth Seeing?

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Nah, my criticisms that 1) this movie (and marvel movies in general) have very limited and lovely roles for women and 2) this movie leaned heavily on well worn tropes without being innovative are pretty thought out and, in the case of 1) re: women is pretty well documented and said more eloquently than I across various articles and blogs on the net. I'm sorry you like basic movies and are easily entertained by seeing the same stories told again and again with slightly different avatars.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

GoldfishStew posted:

Technically, he only meant on the inside. But that's just Drax letting her down easy.

Arglebargle III posted:

Is this Movie GOod and Worth Seeing?

Yes, obviously.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

How can the Gamora story be your favorite story after Yondu/Rocket. They are both such simple, simple stories. And this isn't me being like, "You see, you can reduce any story to a bare bones simplication." That's my problem. we are GIVEN a barebones simple story in all three cases (Peter, Rocket/Yondu, Gamora). I mean, for fucks sake, Yondu literally says, "we're the same, you and I!"

This time around, they took very simple stories (competitive siblings realize that what's important is their love for each other, someone you think is different actually has something in common with you, your estranged parent turns out to not be so great and you learn to love the family you have) and just gave us that. I have no issue if you want to serve a simple story, but add some loving garnish. This movie had no garnish, immagition, or creativity other than boring CGI.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I thought it worked because of Karen Gillan's performance. You could really hear the defeat in her voice when she said "All I wanted was a sister."

A familiar line but she sells it drat well.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Simple stories are the best stories.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I really enjoyed this film, even though I completely acknowledge the faults.

The GOTG series is interesting, because I'm someone that doesn't care about comic films, hasn't seen most Avengers universe movies (just Ant Man and Dr. Strange), and generally isn't that invested in the cinematic universe concept as a whole. GOTG 1 and now 2 REALLY work for me though. GotG2 in particular really gripped me with the emotional core. The resolution of the Yondu plot was something that seriously moved me. I just really really connected with that, and it meant something to me in a way that most other comic films never really get at for me. So, I was willing to ignore the perfectly valid weak points of the film just because the entirety really worked for me. (which is of course what it means to watch movies for anyone haha)

So, I wonder if the GOTG style of comic films is a "comic movie for people who don't care about comic movies" thing or whether James Gunn just has a different sense of how to do an emotional core than other directors or what. I'm sort of interested in a 2000 word think-piece in 2020 that analyzes the entire MCU after its conclusion and figures out why different films meant different things to different people.

edit: Also, this film does Sci-Fi the way I like it, in the same vein as Fifth Element: bombastic, colorful, weird, and able to play with the Other in an interesting way. (Modern) Star Wars could learn a lot from stuff like this, in this man's opinion

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 15, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

GoldfishStew posted:

He wasn't saying it as a villain, he was saying it to be sympathetic to how hard it was to give her up and 100% missing the mark on how hosed up it was.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Maxwell Lord posted:

A familiar line but she sells it drat well.

This is how I felt about Yondu.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

mary had a little clam posted:

edit: Also, this film does Sci-Fi the way I like it, in the same vein as Fifth Element: bombastic, colorful, weird, and able to play with the Other in an interesting way. (Modern) Star Wars could learn a lot from stuff like this, in this man's opinion

I hope GotG3 costumes are designed by Jean-Paul Gaultier.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

GoldfishStew posted:

It could be completely cut out of the movie. It was, "ok, gamora, go off and do this while the boys have fun and do the real mission."

Mantis tells Drax she finds him physically unattractive as well. The whole thing between Mantis and Drax is just a humorous subversion of the storytelling cliche where the socially awkward female misfit and the socially awkward male misfit automatically fall for each other just by virtue of their stock character type. In this movie, though, they don't--because they really don't have anything substantial in common with each other, almost the entire extent of their relationship is just Drax being unintentionally cruel to her, and they both consider the other to be an ugly alien.

Then the movie ends with Drax going the seemingly cliche route of telling Mantis that she really is beautiful after all....but then going on to clarify that he only means on the inside because of course she's still a gross disgusting bug person on the outside. It's really all just for laughs, man. The joke is that Drax is a tone deaf rear end in a top hat and Mantis is psychologically immune to even the most outrageous assaults on her self-esteem (it being completely immaterial whether it comes from a man or a woman), and that getting to know each other better and becoming teammates doesn't end up changing the way they relate to each other in any way by the end of the movie, let alone lead to them becoming lovers. It's not profound or meaningful, it's just kind of funny. "Hee hee, ha ha," that sort of thing, you know?

It really makes no sense to go inserting all kinds of gender politics into it. I totally get that that's what you're into, though. People enjoy movies in different ways. Different strokes and all that.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Misogyny for laughs. If you really think the women in this movie are treated equally I really don't know what to tell you. Gamora is designated to a trite C story while Mantis' entire purpose is to be validated by a dude.

Also your hand waving/giggling away is exactly how this poo poo becomes normalized. They have so many ways to tell stories and they not only picked ones we've seen before but crappy ones at that.

It's ok to like something and still admit it's flaws or shortcomings. It's also ok to want more from your comic book movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mantis was a sweet character and she isn't even that ugly.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

GoldfishStew posted:

Misogyny for laughs. If you really think the women in this movie are treated equally I really don't know what to tell you. Gamora is designated to a trite C story while Mantis' entire purpose is to be validated by a dude.

LOL, Mantis's entire purpose is explicitly not to be validated by a dude. Drax basically never truly validates her at all without also being a huge rear end in a top hat about it immediately afterwards because he's a weirdo alien who's psychologically incapable of understanding social nuance, while Mantis is completely oblivious to this fact not because she's weak or a woman but because she's a weirdo alien who's psychologically incapable of caring about what Drax or anyone else says about her. There are no gender politics here whatsoever, you're just hallucinating. Their whole story arc is a joke about them being weirdo aliens who don't act or react like normal humans would. There are a lot of things in movies that are filled with symbolism for real world concepts and issues, but this is not one of them. It's just a silly joke based on the speculative fiction concept of alien psychologies.

quote:

Also your hand waving/giggling away is exactly how this poo poo becomes normalized. They have so many ways to tell stories and they not only picked ones we've seen before but crappy ones at that.

I'm really not worried at all. I positively revel in not being worried about stuff like this. I'm literally giggling as I type this because you think this has anything whatsoever to do with real-world gender relations, either positively or negatively. I am part of the imaginary problem in your head, and I don't care, and I hope someday you can learn to not care too, so you can be happy.

CelticPredator posted:

Mantis was a sweet character and she isn't even that ugly.

No, she isn't. That makes Drax's over-the-top repulsion to her even funnier.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Cnut the Great posted:

I'm really not worried at all. I positively revel in not being worried about stuff like this. I'm literally giggling as I type this because you think this has anything whatsoever to do with real-world gender relations, either positively or negatively. I am part of the imaginary problem in your head, and I don't care, and I hope someday you can learn to not care too, so you can be happy.

lol you're a weird rear end dude.

• Locked thread