Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There seems to be a major flaw in the "put sticky notes on everything not a mimic" plan: What if the mimic becomes a sticky note?

Palpek posted:

I liked that some benches in Arboretum have plaques and one of them is in the memory of JFK and he lived like a hundred years (I don't remember exactly though).

114 iirc

RatHat fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I really really enjoyed the alternate cold war history thing that got expanded on in the backstory, yeah. Just another atmosphere-y thing that made the place seem real even though it's unreal.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Lakbay posted:

Taking the elevator from the lobby to the arboretum for the first time
I'm sad I missed that because I immediately headed to Psychotronics as soon as I got the gen access card. Once I got in January started talking to me about the broken elevator so I just kept going.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
On that "secret way to play": so it turns out if you do kill all humans, there is a special quest called "Showing Initiative" when Dahl shows up.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Over the course of the game, my neurotic and cowardly self has accidentally developed this funny playstyle where I slowly creep from door to door, then put on the Psychoscope, take out the shotgun and storm the room ready to Combat Focus and blast everything to pieces at the slightest sign of movement, and only after I've covered every inch of the room do I begin exploring it.

You can't get jump scared by mimics if you startle them first, you know. :shepface:

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I dont think ive been scared once in this game then again i did play re7 earlier in the year maybe in desensitized to the spooks

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I've been got by the "Mimic jostles on the other end of the room and then one tackles you from right underfoot while you're gawking" trick a couple times.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One time a mimic object jiggled and it went flying over my head because of videogame physics, so I turned around to pursue it and when I looked back there were like 4 more mimics running after my rear end. That was pretty scary. In general the game's not very frightening though and I think it's because all of the enemies are just black goop. But to be honest I think that works in its favor, it makes you more adventurous and willing to explore because while it may be tense and atmospheric, you can walk around without creeping everywhere in fear of spooky poo poo.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CJacobs posted:

you can walk around without creeping everywhere in fear of spooky poo poo.

I wish

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Palpek posted:

Also anybody entered that I.T. department's stash?

Someone mentioned it earlier but apparently the IT department's locked room is a debug room for the devs where they keep NPCs who aren't supposed to spawn yet in there so you have no legit way of getting in there

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jack Trades posted:

Over the course of the game, my neurotic and cowardly self has accidentally developed this funny playstyle where I slowly creep from door to door, then put on the Psychoscope, take out the shotgun and storm the room ready to Combat Focus and blast everything to pieces at the slightest sign of movement, and only after I've covered every inch of the room do I begin exploring it.

You can't get jump scared by mimics if you startle them first, you know. :shepface:

You mean that isn't the correct way to play the game?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I got the psi bomb as my first typhon ability and probably habitually rightclicked and did 30 damage to myself like ten times across the game.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

I've stupidly lost a load of Psi because right-mouse is "back out of everything (except the scope)"

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Lakbay posted:

Someone mentioned it earlier but apparently the IT department's locked room is a debug room for the devs where they keep NPCs who aren't supposed to spawn yet in there so you have no legit way of getting in there
Haha that's funny but nah.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I know the NPCs for Dahl's quest if you've been killing everyone are kept in there until the trigger

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Palpek posted:

Haha that's funny but nah.

It seems true though. Polygon has a clip of what's inside, and these NPCs won't show up otherwise unless you get the specific Dahl quest.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Looking forward to the NG+ being patched in. I'll replay it then and find the golden gun this time.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
The thing I most want to be able to keep between replays via NG+ is my chipsets.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

overdesigned posted:

The thing I most want to be able to keep between replays via NG+ is my chipsets.

I really hope they do this.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
The audio logs being either recorded phone conversations or voice mail messages actually makes sense. The people being recorded are actually talking to somebody and not just recording a diary.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

IMJack posted:

The audio logs being either recorded phone conversations or voice mail messages actually makes sense. The people being recorded are actually talking to somebody and not just recording a diary.

What you mean you didn't enjoy finding Andrew Ryan's secret musings about his mistress stashed in some random bathroom stall?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

n4 posted:

It seems true though. Polygon has a clip of what's inside, and these NPCs won't show up otherwise unless you get the specific Dahl quest.
Ah ok so from what I'm reading you can in fact legit get there. The room opens up in that one quest and is available to the player. Which is something I can understand unlike a debug room in plain sight that simply wouldn't let you go in without cheating.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

What you mean you didn't enjoy finding Andrew Ryan's secret musings about his mistress stashed in some random bathroom stall?

That poo poo was always so bizarre to me and it was doubly crazy that reviewers of the time really didn't bring that up. At least I don't remember them talking about it much. I guess that sort of thing was still novel enough that they didn't pay much attention to where the audiobooks were found.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of locked doors, there's a door with an exit sign in the lobby in one of the rooms (I think it's in the room with the pack of stolen neuromods?) that says it requires a keycard but the general access one doesn't open it iirc. What's in there?

Jimbot posted:

That poo poo was always so bizarre to me and it was doubly crazy that reviewers of the time really didn't bring that up. At least I don't remember them talking about it much. I guess that sort of thing was still novel enough that they didn't pay much attention to where the audiobooks were found.

The official explanation was "it's been years since Rapture became all war-torn so logically nothing would be sitting wherever it was at the time anymore, even audio logs" but that feels kinda hackneyed.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 14, 2017

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

IMJack posted:

Yeah, they really did a solid job of indirect storytelling with the audiologs, email, etc.

Feels like they built upon and improved upon that kind of world-building that was used in Dishonoured.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Palpek posted:

Ah ok so from what I'm reading you can in fact legit get there. The room opens up in that one quest and is available to the player. Which is something I can understand unlike a debug room in plain sight that simply wouldn't let you go in without cheating.

Yea. It's just strange that for most playthroughs that room and the crew won't be accessible at al

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i spent like 10 minutes in the lobby watching the shadows move as the station rotated. cool game

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Some pro tips in this article: http://www.pointandclickbait.com/2017/05/prey-walkthrough-how-to-spot-mimic-by-humans/

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

All humans should read this and trust Gary from accounts! Added to op. Ty.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 15, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Also added to op. Ty. Please let me know if you'd like it taken off.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 15, 2017

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
So I was flying around in space. Turns out you can get the q-beam the moment you EVA for the first time in hardware. You gotta fight a technopath and a pile of cysts though. After checking out a few others things, like sputnik, the billboards, a shuttle, cargo pods, hull breaches, etc... I saw them.. In the blackness of space I saw two yellow dots. Too big to be stars, too oddly shaped to be dots. They reminded me of phantom eyes. No idea if I was staring at a visual big or what. I tried to go towards it, but got baked by the solar radiation.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Broose posted:

So I was flying around in space. Turns out you can get the q-beam the moment you EVA for the first time in hardware. You gotta fight a technopath and a pile of cysts though. After checking out a few others things, like sputnik, the billboards, a shuttle, cargo pods, hull breaches, etc... I saw them.. In the blackness of space I saw two yellow dots. Too big to be stars, too oddly shaped to be dots. They reminded me of phantom eyes. No idea if I was staring at a visual big or what. I tried to go towards it, but got baked by the solar radiation.

I saw those too and tried to fly to them and died of radiation as well. I wanna know what they are!

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Broose posted:

You can also get it from hardware When you EVA if you use the emergency breach seal in the room the Dr. is in. This will allow you access the beam labs in the hardware area, which has a qbeam sitting there

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The Big Endgame Thing has gone down. Where do I go to use the fabricator?

e: "The Bridge." Slash, Lobby.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 15, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

whoever decided to invent the cystoids enemies can eat loving poo poo; dodging and dealing with all those assholes in GUTS is horrifically unfun. also whoever decided to put a loving Technopath PLUS a Telepath in that path back up from when you reboot the system....you motherfucker. Not sure if I have the patience to do many more sidequests after that but I really want to finish the chef one.

When I went back to my office, the Nightmare loving came in. No idea how the gently caress this happened because how does he fit through the locked door!? Funny poo poo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsFjEmzQ2WQ

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

DLC Inc posted:

whoever decided to invent the cystoids enemies can eat loving poo poo; dodging and dealing with all those assholes in GUTS is horrifically unfun. also whoever decided to put a loving Technopath PLUS a Telepath in that path back up from when you reboot the system....you motherfucker. Not sure if I have the patience to do many more sidequests after that but I really want to finish the chef one.

When I went back to my office, the Nightmare loving came in. No idea how the gently caress this happened because how does he fit through the locked door!? Funny poo poo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsFjEmzQ2WQ

You can use the dart nerf gun extremely effectively against the cystoids. They follow anything that moves, cept typhon

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

If anyone's got a vid of the Nightmare doing Nightmare poo poo, where we get a good look at it, please let me know, I'd like to op it.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Truecon420 posted:

You can use the dart nerf gun extremely effectively against the cystoids. They follow anything that moves, cept typhon

This, and also if you gloo the nest before it pops it will just die without spawning any cysts.

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."

Truecon420 posted:

If you're not lugging around a dart gun, throwing a physics object at cystoids also works in a pinch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

My upgraded Gloo gun disappears when I return to Arboretum from Crew Quarters. Surely that's not supposed to happen?
I don't really want to lose my upgraded gun :(