Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

shacked up with Brenda posted:

First local moto yesterday. Only me and a buddy showed up.

Sprint Enduros start next saturday at the Southwick national track. Woo!

How're you liking the bike after a year?

Yerok posted:

Picked up an '01 CR85 for my roommate for $150. Good cases, good everything more or less just missing a few bits and pieces. The sad thing is that I'll probably have this back together before I get to my 125.

Post pics of build please.

Unrelated, anyone have helmet lights they can recommend for riding in dirt at night? Ones like this?
https://www.taskracing.com/moto-adventure-helmet-light.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

builds character posted:

How're you liking the bike after a year?

The biggest deal was getting the suspension revalved for me. I'm used to KTM XCs which are too soft out of the gate. This thing was wayyy too stiff out of the gate. With that done, the bike is pretty great.

I'm still on the fence about a rekluse. The last Sprint Enduro of the year I raced this bike after having it for only a few days, and coming off of a 4t with a rekluse, I stalled all over the place. First SE happens this weekend so we'll see if I've improved over the winter.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Her first J-Day Offroad Sprint Enduro @ Southwick

We started with the hardest tests and worked backwards so she really REALLY hated it when she started but by the end she was having a great time. We only were able to do each test once instead of the required 3x so she officially received a DNF,. We had an issue on the MX track where mud packed into her chain and locked up a few links and it made the chain as tight as a drum. We worked it as best as we could and then she did her woods test. On the final corner (35 minutes after she started) her axle nut fell off along with a chain adjuster and chain, so I pushed her across the finish line.

It was hard and way beyond her bikes capabilities (not to mention her developing skills) but she really had a good time and we look forward to our next offroad event. Until then, we have asphalt GP racing which kicks off in 3 weeks.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

The biggest deal was getting the suspension revalved for me. I'm used to KTM XCs which are too soft out of the gate. This thing was wayyy too stiff out of the gate. With that done, the bike is pretty great.

I'm still on the fence about a rekluse. The last Sprint Enduro of the year I raced this bike after having it for only a few days, and coming off of a 4t with a rekluse, I stalled all over the place. First SE happens this weekend so we'll see if I've improved over the winter.

I'd think 2t would be a lot easier to not stall but I guess rekluses are magic. Suspension really is so important. It's ridiculous.

EX250 Type R posted:

Her first J-Day Offroad Sprint Enduro @ Southwick

We started with the hardest tests and worked backwards so she really REALLY hated it when she started but by the end she was having a great time. We only were able to do each test once instead of the required 3x so she officially received a DNF,. We had an issue on the MX track where mud packed into her chain and locked up a few links and it made the chain as tight as a drum. We worked it as best as we could and then she did her woods test. On the final corner (35 minutes after she started) her axle nut fell off along with a chain adjuster and chain, so I pushed her across the finish line.

It was hard and way beyond her bikes capabilities (not to mention her developing skills) but she really had a good time and we look forward to our next offroad event. Until then, we have asphalt GP racing which kicks off in 3 weeks.

Look at what a good dad you are.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

builds character posted:

Look at what a good dad you are.

I see her on that little 50 and it seems like she is large enough for a 70 or 110 or something idk but boy golly wouldn't I be one dead motherfucker if I came home with a dirt bike

edit: also I can say I officially did a lap of the Southwick MX track today :V It was so soft and rutted, along with the incredible intimidation effect of being a 7yo on a crf50 on a literal pro motocross track with huge terrain shes seen on television, that she needed a lot of help slogging through it. Giant thanks to VTNewb and his girlfriend for helping out with that and showing us around our first Jday

500excf type r fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 23, 2017

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

EX250 Type R posted:

that she needed a lot of help slogging through it.

Despite the help, all the track workers and minders were super cool cheering her on.

Daddy daughter day:

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Hi

I want to buy/learn how to ride a dirtbike. I've never ridden one before. Where do I begin?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Hi

I want to buy/learn how to ride a dirtbike. I've never ridden one before. Where do I begin?

Try starting out as EX250 Type R's kid.

Where are you going to live and what kind of bike experience do you have generally? What's your budget? Do you have something to haul the bike in or will you ride it to the trails?

You want to watch all these videos. They're really good.
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJAvmhgP0h1AEKY8vTEJPJg

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

1) Broadly consider the merits of motocross vs trail riding.
2) Find local club, join
3) Immediately go racing because no one cares if you suck, and will help you when you fall into a hole

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

edit: the guy emailed a digital print, noice

500excf type r fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 24, 2017

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
I thought I was taking a shortcut through this puddle yesterday. I brought the front end up and set it down... four feet below the surface of the water. I flew over the bars and got completely submerged. We pulled the plug and exhaust, cranked it over a bunch to get the water out, tossed a new plug in, and got it running about thirty minutes later. It wasn't running strong like usual, but it was still running.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That Tahuya?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Guess you'll be replacing that top end earlier than you'd hoped

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Wow - That's awful.

Good luck w/ the (perhaps eventual) rebuild.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I've heard of a yellow submarine, but an orange one is new to me...

Glad you had friends there to help you, and I love hearing how people revive submerged and hosed off road vehicles and ride them out.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've heard all that sand and grit in the water helps hone the bearings and cylinder walls for extra power.

Good luck with the rebuild.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Every single time I see a big puddle I worry about this and every single time I hit it anyway because if you can't ride through puddles then the communists have won. But man, rough lesson to not learn.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

builds character posted:

But man, rough lesson to not learn.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ha ha poo poo, I saw that on Traction today and almost posted it but figured I wasn't in with y'all enough.

Bummer about the swim, though, hope the damage is minimal.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Next time lean back and pin it

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
It was Ladee Flats in Estacada, OR. I swore off riding that place but a few friends were going and they said it would be fun... What it lacks for in trails, it more than makes up for with the depth of its puddles.

As far as a rebuild, its a two stroke so top ends are basically consumables. This one will likely get consumed a bit faster now though. I started dismantling the bike a bit tonight. Going to drain/replace all the fluids, pull the exhaust, clean the cylinder and carb as best as I can. We'll see how it rides this weekend because I don't have a day off for two weeks after.

As far as my body, I am finally warm again and have bruising across both thighs from my handlebars.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Gullous posted:

Next time lean back and pin it

Dirtbike Bros: Next time lean back and pin it

There but for the grace of god...

I did a ride in the pine barrens a couple years ago now where a guy drowned his 1200GS and he ended up replacing the oil three times and it started up just fine after that. I'm sure there was some additional wear from that but it seems like if you get the water out, don't run it with water in (I know, this is the hard one) and then change the oil a couple times it really helps.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
What is a good inexpensive dirtbike to start a 10 year old on?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Flikken posted:

What is a good inexpensive dirtbike to start a 10 year old on?

How big are they? CRF-70 is good.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

If they're tall enough and can figure out a clutch, an XR 100 or TTR 125 would be good choices. Both seem to be common used.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

The little bike lineup is completely refreshed so nothing makes sense anymore. I think a CRF125 big wheel would be the 2017 equivalent to the XR/CRF100. Look for something with a 19" front wheel, 16" rear, 4 stroke, and air cooled. The CCs in that category will vary quite a bit but they are all equal in terms of beginning.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

What do you guys like for armored shorts? I expect to fall if I do Cornerspin, and hip armor is one of the things I don't have.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Deeters posted:

What do you guys like for armored shorts? I expect to fall if I do Cornerspin, and hip armor is one of the things I don't have.

I have these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LMU201I/) and they're "good enough"

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Deeters posted:

If you get the gear rental package, it includes armored shorts. Then you get to wear the same skivvies that have been on countless other dudes' sweaty crotches. It's pretty sweet.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Deeters posted:

I don't wear any and I've never had an issue. I don't know about cornerspin and other flat track like activities, but in general dirt riding my forarms and shoulders always take a beating.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Another sprint enduro in the books. I was sick all weekend but managed to do OK - 38th out of 130 or so overall. As per usual with sprints, my "extreme" and "cross" times are very competitive for a podium, but my woods tests are 30-60 seconds slow. This always blows my mind because all I do all day is ride woods. The big thing about this last race is I only estimate about 30 seconds or so of pure error (i.e., 1 tip over, 1 stall). I'm pretty happy with that considering I was using DayQ all day and was pretty fuzzy.

Anna got 3rd in Womens, and was only 16 seconds back from last years champion who was in 2nd. That's a big deal for her.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I really like my yamaha but I've been waiting for this for a long time...

http://enduro21.com/index.php/40-general/2184-first-look-2018-ktm-250-300-exc-tpi-2-stroke-enduro

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

2t with grip warmers, here we come. Sadly, I think this is not quite as revolutionary as they're making it out to be. The oil injection is nothing new and it won't be street legal in the US. I think it's a very good step in the right direction, but what I think you're getting here are 1. map tuneable, 2. slightly better gas mileage (although, looking at beta because synerject does their EFI, their MPG numbers are worse than street legal KTMs although equivalent to the "closed course" maps on KTMs), 3. no altitude adjustments. I think what KTM is really getting is passing Euro4.

The complexity argument is so dumb. If you're traveling around the world and are going to be in bleakest siberia then maybe you don't want something you can't just take apart and fix yourself, but in literally every single other scenario EFI is going to reliable enough. Anyway, I hope this is a step in the direction of street legal 2ts but I don't know how you get around oil blowing out the exhaust without a catalytic converter and that's too heavy/big.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

builds character posted:

2t with grip warmers, here we come. Sadly, I think this is not quite as revolutionary as they're making it out to be. The oil injection is nothing new and it won't be street legal in the US. I think it's a very good step in the right direction, but what I think you're getting here are 1. map tuneable, 2. slightly better gas mileage (although, looking at beta because synerject does their EFI, their MPG numbers are worse than street legal KTMs although equivalent to the "closed course" maps on KTMs), 3. no altitude adjustments. I think what KTM is really getting is passing Euro4.

The complexity argument is so dumb. If you're traveling around the world and are going to be in bleakest siberia then maybe you don't want something you can't just take apart and fix yourself, but in literally every single other scenario EFI is going to reliable enough. Anyway, I hope this is a step in the direction of street legal 2ts but I don't know how you get around oil blowing out the exhaust without a catalytic converter and that's too heavy/big.

In Vermont, everything is street legal. I just hate jetting.

Also, I expect the power to be super smooth. the Ossa injected trials bike is 4t like.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I don't wear any and I've never had an issue. I don't know about cornerspin and other flat track like activities, but in general dirt riding my forarms and shoulders always take a beating.

I'm starting to realize I should just find something relatively cheap that fits well. I should probably get a new chest/elbow armor too.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Deeters posted:

I'm starting to realize I should just find something relatively cheap that fits well. I should probably get a new chest/elbow armor too.

For cornerspin last year I rented gear and the only regret I have is that I wish I'd brought my knee pads because theirs suck and my only injury was from where I fell and they pinched me and I got knee pad abrasion.

A friend has forcefield shorts and they're absolutely ridiculous. Great protection but way too hot. I have klim's version and they're a decent low speed off-road alternative but they're definitely not CE rated. They're also not super hot. Basically what I'm saying is I haven't found decent hip protection that I like. I wear klim Dakar pant + hip armor and the klim padded short but I'd rather there was something between klim and force field in terms of protection and heat.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

builds character posted:

For cornerspin last year I rented gear and the only regret I have is that I wish I'd brought my knee pads because theirs suck and my only injury was from where I fell and they pinched me and I got knee pad abrasion.

atleast your rear end is intact

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Look at this thing:

http://dirtbiketest.com/bike-tests/2017-beta-125-rr-s/#9G5BLjft3dAwiJZf.97

Beta is a great company, and I can see that thing being very popular in my area of the world. Cheap, legit, legal, trail riding.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
First, an update on my MWE clever lever. I finally got it all dialed in and adjusted and it's actually pretty great. It needed to be moved in on the bars so that you can really only use one finger - that was what I'd been missing before. I used to use two fingers most of the time so there's a little adjustment there and then there's a little adjustment to having to pull it all the way in to get it to engage fully but I actually like that now because it's easier to modulate more finely. It also does decrease mechanical force required for clutch pull so that's nice too. Is it worth it? No, probably not for the price unless you find yourself fanning the clutch a ton and your fingers/forearms get tired. But it's a nice little piece of bling that actually does what's advertised.

Razzled posted:

atleast your rear end is intact

helps to have all that extra padding.

and not be wearing fancy jeans.

Look at this thing:

http://dirtbiketest.com/bike-tests/2017-beta-125-rr-s/#9G5BLjft3dAwiJZf.97

Beta is a great company, and I can see that thing being very popular in my area of the world. Cheap, legit, legal, trail riding.

I really love my beta. My best, most honest assessment, is that the beta is for everyone except really serious racers. I have a 390 and my buddy has a husky 350 and putting aside the differences in motor character, the 350 does feel like it turns a little better such that if you were a serious racer you would both want that and be able to take advantage of it. The tradeoff is that the beta feels like 10x more stable and planted and frankly almost nobody buying any of these bikes is good enough that that's not better for them. The power delivery is also ridiculously smooth. Those were the two big things that I noticed and have kept noticing right off the bat - incredibly smooth power delivery and just a feeling of being planted on the ground. Anyway, I think the 125 is a good idea and hope it's successful. It certainly seems like it should be as it fills a niche that's currently filled by bikes that are just less good at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Couple of friends bought Beta 125s as first "real" dirt bikes and they've been lovely. Figure when they start to get bored with them it's either bore kit and suspension upgrade time or just pick up a larger bike and leave the 125 for friends to learn on.