Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
World to the West is a charming puzzle platformer with a couple of issues.

- You have to guide 4 heroes around the world and solve puzzles - sometimes together - to progress. The thing is when you need more than one hero at a site you need to navigate them one by one to the site. There are checkpoints that allow fast travel but each hero will only recognize a checkpoint they have physically reached themselves and not from another hero. It sucks because each hero has different methods of traversal and experience different obstacles, so even though you've got the puzzle solved in your head you gotta manage the secondary task of loving Bringing Your Boys to the Puzzle, which can be more convoluted than necessary. It's like seeing your GPS tell you the destination is just to the right but you have to do three left turns because you can't access the adjacent road.

- Combat is wonky. Hit detection can be all over the place and the strat is basically hit and run.

- There are little collectibles scattered about that provide a creation myth to the island. Later on you find out that one of the mandatory objectives is gated behind doors that require you to collect X amount of collectibles. Just when you think you got enough, there's a second door requiring more MacGuffins. And no they're not marked on the map so you gotta wander around the world collecting tokens to progress. It's somehow more tedious than finding Triforce pieces, which is strangely appropriate considering the game has a top down Zelda design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Oh and for some reason the game won't recognize my controller buttons so whenever I learn a new skill I have to mash the buttons for my controller to figure out which button does one action. One character can manipulate animals and for the longest time I didn't know you could ride some of them because the button prompt is blank on my screen. She became one of the most lame to instantly useful once I discovered that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Triarii posted:

I have a friend who's playing Scholar of the First Sin as his first Dark Souls experience (though he played Bloodborne), he's not using a shield and he's keeping his equip weight at exactly 100%.

And he's...loving it? :confused:

I think he just enjoys figuring out a definitely wrong way to play a game, and sticking to it. When he played Bloodborne he killed every NPC he encountered immediately.

Make sure he doesn't kill the old crippled man NPC in 2. I bet he'll love the darklurker boss.

Anyway OneShot is a quirky game that does a lot of weird poo poo like minimizing the window, having the game its self "talk" to you and edits background files you need to read to solve puzzles. It also wants to try and be undertale really hard but you never really spend enough time with the NPCs to give a poo poo about any of them before zooming off to the next zone and dropping everything else that happened like a rock and the only character in the game you connect with on any level is the main character who's just some dumb kid who wants to go home.

Then There's a secret third ending that introduces three new NPCs you're supposed to care about for reasons, they drop the big amazing plot bomb of "THIS IS ALL JUST A VIDEO GAME, THE PEOPLE ARE NPCS" on you which instantly takes out any kind of tension or really investment you had in the setting or characters and then the rest of the game is just you kind of sitting back and letting these three jackasses save the day for you.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Game worked for me. I cared about what happened to Niko even if the threats weren't as bad as the game made them out to be.

The world is definitely sparse and feels like a game jam that had a chance to flesh out.

A lot of the tension built up gets deflated quite abruptly during the third act. But I never got tired of seeing Niko walk out the browser window to the bottom of my screen .

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DQ8 3DS introduces a new camera feature, and gives you rewards for snapping enough photos of things. On a basic level, the game is often finicky to the point of madness sometimes on what it considers an "in frame" shot, but whatever there is no real penalty just lots of time wasting and there are several that don't trigger the quest until after you've seen the thing you need at the end of a dungeon requiring a back track. What I'm here to complain about is the final set of quests suddenly introduces an extremely bullshit set of 5 photographs.

These quests are just called "Red Glitter" "Purple Glitter" etc and the only clue about them is "somewhere in the world there is [color] glitter". What you are supposed to intuit, somehow, is that now spawning at 5 completely arbitrary and not on the road to anything or near anything faries will appear on the world map and you need to photograph them. But that isn't the bad part, and this isn't the the bad part either that you have to force them to spawn and its not guaranteed they'll do so. So most guides recommend you find a loading zone transition point and just enter and exit for 15-20 minutes straight to guarantee they spawn. Now the bad part, only one can spawn at any time, and only one can spawn per day, and which one spawns is completely random. So guides recommend that you grind 15-20 minutes entering and exiting doors, travel to the five different points (takes another 10 minutes or so to check them all) and if it has spawned (which again is not guaranteed) and is one you've already photographed, you reset your save and start entering and exiting doors for 15-20 minutes hoping the right one spawns. Repeat for five days.

The item you get from this you can easily get two others by other means and getting a third is only recommended if you plan to tackle the 3DS games absolutely abysmal new post game content of "max level boss, only one strategy works" so this whole frustrating ordeal is basically pointless

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Barudak posted:

The item you get from this you can easily get two others by other means and getting a third is only recommended if you plan to tackle the 3DS games absolutely abysmal new post game content of "max level boss, only one strategy works" so this whole frustrating ordeal is basically pointless

I was planning on getting DQ8 3DS. But I think I've been put off on it. It's good to hear that square kept on keeping on in turning DQ into another FF though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nuebot posted:

I was planning on getting DQ8 3DS. But I think I've been put off on it. It's good to hear that square kept on keeping on in turning DQ into another FF though.

If you like DQ8 it is by far the best version of DQ8 that exists. Which, uh, hrm.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Make sure he doesn't kill the old crippled man NPC in 2. I bet he'll love the darklurker boss.

Anyway OneShot is a quirky game that does a lot of weird poo poo like minimizing the window, having the game its self "talk" to you and edits background files you need to read to solve puzzles. It also wants to try and be undertale really hard but you never really spend enough time with the NPCs to give a poo poo about any of them before zooming off to the next zone and dropping everything else that happened like a rock and the only character in the game you connect with on any level is the main character who's just some dumb kid who wants to go home.

Then There's a secret third ending that introduces three new NPCs you're supposed to care about for reasons, they drop the big amazing plot bomb of "THIS IS ALL JUST A VIDEO GAME, THE PEOPLE ARE NPCS" on you which instantly takes out any kind of tension or really investment you had in the setting or characters and then the rest of the game is just you kind of sitting back and letting these three jackasses save the day for you.

I just looked it up and haha ok yeah, that secret ending totally ruins the main point of the game. What the hell.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

spit on my clit posted:

dark souls 3 pvp is at its worst when you invade someone that does not at least try to be funny when their gank squad kills you

*points down while two sunbros patches squat*

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

I just looked it up and haha ok yeah, that secret ending totally ruins the main point of the game. What the hell.

It's really a disappointing way to end the game too because right up until the very end, the entire third path thing just drops most of the cool computer fuckery and stuff that was so neat about the game too and it tries to go for like weird emotional moments that don't really hit home at all because of that specific reveal and the focus on three brand new characters you have no particular reason to care about.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'm currently playing Expeditions: Vikings, and while it's overall pretty fun, it does handle combat in a fairly annoying way. It's turn based, with each side moving and acting with all their characters before the other side has their turn. The issue here is that, outside of a few specific circumstances, the enemy side always goes first and the player always second. It takes only between 2-4 good hits to incapacitate a given character, so quite a few combats start out by all enemies converging upon one of your people and taking them out in the first round before you can do anything. Since your party size is usually limited to 5 characters and characters that are incapacitated in combat can suffer semipermanent wounds that have long-term effects, that's kind of a big deal. Last but not least you have little way of organising your formation, so there's a good chance that you start combat with your support people out front and the melee characters in the back, all piled up against the edge of the battlefield so that nobody can actually get past one another.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I'm enjoying redout having picked it up on the cheap. It's a fun wipeout/f-zero type game and looks pretty drat nice, but the camera angles make it very hard to see what's coming up, and I haven't found a way to see a track map, like how F-zero X would give you a 3-d line model of the track you were about to race.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I wish there was an option to give 2B pants so I don't feel embarrassed to be playing this game when people come over.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Barudak posted:

If you like DQ8 it is by far the best version of DQ8 that exists. Which, uh, hrm.
It's like the DS version of Chrono Trigger. The main game is good (give or take what you think of the new translation) and all the DS bonus content is loving terrible.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

scarycave posted:

I wish there was an option to give 2B pants so I don't feel embarrassed to be playing this game when people come over.

Good news! She gets an alt outfit! but it's gonna be a while before you can get it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

More DQ8 complaints. You have to climb a lovely dungeon from the beginning of the game 3-4 times to do all the content associated with it. The last time you are forced to climb youre trying to collect something from it. Interacting with the object does nothing and nobody will comment on it so it feels like youre supposed to do something else and that youre here too early. What youre supposed to do is walk manually out of the dungeon to trigger a cutscene. If you use your magic power to instantly exit a dungeon, said cutscene never triggers.

There is a dungeon where you need to use plants to lure enemies into a position where you can fight them: if you remember the cutscene and villager advice you might beeline for the plant then slowly waddle into position. Surprise there is another cutscene that needs to play to tell you one more time that only triggers when youre in the final spot, and activating it forces you to lose the plant and have to to get another one.

There is a point where youre told to go to the top of a mountain and find a door that appears at night. You have to wait around in real time for about a minute and change when you arrive at the top of the mountain for the door to spawn with no real indication youre on the right path. Exiting the mountain magically or moving from the top of the mountain resets the timer.

There are multiple times, most obviously at Tyran Gully and the Map quest, where the game isnt going to give you a single hint of where the hell it wants you to go on the world map. Your party members "ask me what to do" dialog changes to "...." during these sections and in the case od Tyran Gully you dont even know its an objective you should be looking for and narratively it has no bearing on the stort so there isnt really a reason you went there.

The firsr stage of the final boss is a check if you can spend all four of your characters turns in a round doing nothing 7 times without dying. Given DQ8s battle mechanics you could not have designed a less interesting boss fight.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's like the DS version of Chrono Trigger. The main game is good (give or take what you think of the new translation) and all the DS bonus content is loving terrible.

You can assign skill points other than when you level up, it doesnt have random encounters, and the alchemy pot creates items instantly so for those three things right there its unambiguously good, even if it bogarts its bonus characters way too late in the game and the new bonus content is filth.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I've never seen a portable remake of an RPG with good bonus content.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You can make that any remake.

Though I haven't played Siege of Dragonspear so I can't really comment on that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Persona 3 added the female MC but I never got around to her route

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Persona remake had the Snow Queen quest that was originally removed from the PSX version in North America, does that count?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
The remake of FFX decided to add a super boss that you can only kill by grinding way past what you would need to clear the final boss - or if yojimbo is feeling nice, right outside the starting town after a certain point.
Hope you got that special sphere from the temple or managed to get save enough for yojimbo!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

scarycave posted:

The remake of FFX decided to add a super boss that you can only kill by grinding way past what you would need to clear the final boss - or if yojimbo is feeling nice, right outside the starting town after a certain point.
Hope you got that special sphere from the temple or managed to get save enough for yojimbo!

Yeah that was some bullshit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its great because that was added into the "international edition" where people said it was stupid, about 15 years ago.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Persona 3 portable had the option to play as a girl as someone mentioned, and it changed a ton of stuff rather than just being a pronoun swap. I think nearly every social link was completely different. In addition, it let you control your party members, so no more Mitsuru casting Marin Karin and nothing else, forever.

However, all non-dungeon stuff became menu based (you couldn't walk around, you just selected things from a top down view) but the rest of the actual content was the same. Some cutscenes really suffered though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

scarycave posted:

There's DLC that lets her dress like Kaine from Nier, would that be better?

FactsAreUseless posted:

If you consider Zelda an RPG (apparently some people do?) the GBC remake of Link's Awakening had a pretty cool new color themed dungeon. Of course that's a portable remake of a game that was already portable.

scarycave posted:

I just put the game down after getting to that point, super bullshit.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 18:46 on May 14, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I hate games where graphical/audio settings are tied to user profile. Games I can think of right now that do this are Dragon's Dogma and Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed. They are MAXIMUM VOLUME during the dev logos/title screen, and only once I press start do they adjust to the reasonable volume I keep them set at.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I hate games where graphical/audio settings are tied to user profile. Games I can think of right now that do this are Dragon's Dogma and Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed. They are MAXIMUM VOLUME during the dev logos/title screen, and only once I press start do they adjust to the reasonable volume I keep them set at.

Prey does this as well, but its hard to tell whats tied to the profile and what's just the god awful sound balancing in general.

The thing dragging down otherwise great game Prey 2017: the god awful sound balancing. Why yes I wanted my eardrums blown out because January spoke thank you very much.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

The Moon Monster posted:

There's DLC that lets her dress like Kaine from Nier, would that be better?

I don't know if making her look like a "HUSSY" would help or hurt things. I really miss Weiss, but at the same time Pod is strangely endearing.

Especially if you pet him. :3:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Dangan should always be listened to at max volume.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

That I can tell exactly when a fusion is going to fail in P5 by the lack of skip buttons. It seldom brings me good news.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Schubalts posted:

Dangan should always be listened to at max volume.

Dark Arisen doesn't have Into Free.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Why does Sony insist on giving out indie games instead of even old ps4 games? Abzū is very much not my jam and feels pointless

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Increasing the exposure of good indie games is a good thing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

RyokoTK posted:

Increasing the exposure of good indie games is a good thing.

Abzū isn't my thing and therefore isn't good

:goonsay: but there have been some good ones pop up since I've had it. Just not this month

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Len posted:

That I can tell exactly when a fusion is going to fail in P5 by the lack of skip buttons. It seldom brings me good news.

What is the chance of this even happening? I'm at 11/18 and have never seen the wrong thing come out.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Len posted:

Why does Sony insist on giving out indie games instead of even old ps4 games? Abzū is very much not my jam and feels pointless

Knack was on PS+ a while ago, so be careful what you wish for.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Judge Tesla posted:

Knack was on PS+ a while ago, so be careful what you wish for.

I've had ps+ for two years and haven't got Knack I want a bad free game ):

And I dunno I'm only in September and I've had three failure fusions. The first was after I'd dropped a bunch of money buying the two personas I needed to complete a twin request.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Digirat posted:

What is the chance of this even happening? I'm at 11/18 and have never seen the wrong thing come out.

It's low enough that I didn't see it at all in my playthrough, and I did a lot of fusion.

That said, as long as you remember to register your personas before fusing, it'll just set you back some yen at worst

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Abzu is very good and not very long. Even if you hate it the experience of playing through it is like 5 hours long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I really like Abzu but if you don't you'll probably know before 5 hours.