Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Fallen Hamprince posted:

*extremely dialectical voice* what if thing is actually the opposite of thing, and vice-versa. owned libs

When you really think about it, isn't freedom just slavery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

When you really think about it, isn't freedom just slavery?

Fallen Hamprince posted:

*extremely dialectical voice* what if thing is actually the opposite of thing, and vice-versa. owned libs

In the West you are free*

*to vote for bourgeois parties

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

the the ussr the people were free to vote*

*for the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, the only party on the ballot

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

British Election thread: people who don't speak russian and were in diapers when the wall fell pine for the days of brezhnev

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
USSR was one of the most if not the most horrible country in history on the face of the planet, if they are the bar we're comparing ourselves to then lol we're hosed

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Also, to do what I want, any old time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UKh9zszngc

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
western capitalism is sucking right now! there is nothing wrong with saying that lol

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Baloogan posted:

USSR was one of the most if not the most horrible country in history on the face of the planet, if they are the bar we're comparing ourselves to then lol we're hosed

this is a bit much imho

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 232 days!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Fallen Hamprince posted:

the the ussr the people were free to vote*

*for the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, the only party on the ballot

quote:

Twelve voices were shouting in anger, and they were all alike. No question, now, what had happened to the faces of the pigs. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Badger of Basra posted:

this is a bit much imho

its only competition is nazi germany and other communist regimes like north korea

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Badger of Basra posted:

this is a bit much imho

NK is so bad because of how like the USSR it is.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Communism is the worst idea people have ever had.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

hakimashou posted:

uh huh

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Vicious political repression, famine, gulags, secret police, bellicosity.

In what ways is it not like the USSR?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Baloogan posted:

its only competition is nazi germany and other communist regimes like north korea

*cough*the Confederacy*cough*

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

in the year 2017 can vote for a communist party in every democracy in europe and north america. the major opposition party in the uk is in fact led by a far leftist who's finance minister quotes from the little red book in parliament. they just aren't guaranteed to win, because the entire ideology of communism spent the last quarter of the 20th century publicly making GBS threads itself and dying, and the few nominally communist nations left are either authoritarian capitalist dictatorships like china or complete shitshows like venezuela. yes i would like the medium spicy sauce on my nandos thank you

Fallen Hamprince has issued a correction as of 04:25 on May 15, 2017

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Captain_Maclaine posted:

*cough*the Confederacy*cough*

the confederacy was a belligerent, not a real country :lincoln:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 232 days!

Baloogan posted:

Baloogan posted:

western capitalism is sucking right now! there is nothing wrong with saying that lol

the trick here is that western capitalism is internationalized, except when it is convenient for it not to be. it's not so bad, even now, if you're living in one of the dominant countries, but that is selection bias in a system which is global in scope. every system is great if you narrow the sample size to the cohorts it favours.

globalization is no longer a thing that is happening, but a thing which happened. capitalism's last competitor crumbled over twenty years ago. the vast majority of people in the resulting political system have no vote, no right or ability to speak, and live or die at the pleasure of masters whose accountability for those decisions amounts to far less than the codes of chivalry meant to the nobility.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

hakimashou posted:

Vicious political repression, famine, gulags, secret police, bellicosity.

But enough about the Raj

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 232 days!

hakimashou posted:

north korean communism has less to do with communism than china's does

if you feel strongly about north korea, you should learn about it:

https://www.mhpbooks.com/books/the-cleanest-race/

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
the british empire was 'bad' (but not exceptionally so, and english law is the basis for the world's law) but it gets serious points for being so cool and paving the way for global civilization overall I'd say the british empire was great.

just look at the ex-british colonies and compare them to spanish/etc colonies.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
then compare them to the lol ex-ussr colonies haha

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 232 days!

Fallen Hamprince posted:

in the year 2017 can vote for a communist party in every democracy in europe and north america. the major opposition party in the uk is in fact led by a far leftist who's finance minister quotes from the little red book in parliament. they just aren't guaranteed to win, because the entire ideology of communism spent the last quarter of the 20th century publicly making GBS threads itself and dying, and the few nominally communist nations left are either authoritarian capitalist dictatorships like china or complete shitshows like venezuela. yes i would like the medium spicy sauce on my nandos thank you

you can also be a practicing jedi and start and vote for a jedi party and i promise to make the force and anime real and would like a big mac value meal with a medium coke thank you

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Baloogan posted:

the british empire was 'bad' (but not exceptionally so, and english law is the basis for the world's law) but it gets serious points for being so cool and paving the way for global civilization overall I'd say the british empire was great.

hooooooo boy.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Baloogan posted:

this will get a lot of bites

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Baloogan posted:

That's enough now, Loogs.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Hodgepodge posted:

north korean communism has less to do with communism than china's does

if you feel strongly about north korea, you should learn about it:

https://www.mhpbooks.com/books/the-cleanest-race/

My fav NK book is Under the Loving Care of the Fatherly Leader but its been years since I read it.

Anyway its not hard to draw parallels between Kim's communist totalitarian hell and Stalin's.

Most of the bad stuff about NK was also bad about the USSR.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 232 days!
there was a time when ghengis khan's empire became significantly less awful because he decided to listen to some buddhist monks and toned things down

what you folks are saying is that it's cool that you haven't showered in three years because at least you don't poo poo your pants like billy

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Baloogan posted:

Ancient Sparta, The Assyrian Empire, The Mongolian Empire, Raj India, Belgian Congo, literally every country that practiced serfdom or chattel slavery (the vast majority), every Chinese government until post-GLF, Imperial Japan, Fascist Italy, Fascist Spain, every Latin American government that ever carried out a dirty war, just about every colonial governorate

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Baloogan posted:

They desperately need to promote you to mod of DnD.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Baloogan posted:

not touching this one

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 232 days!

hakimashou posted:

My fav NK book is Under the Loving Care of the Fatherly Leader but its been years since I read it.

Anyway its not hard to draw parallels between Kim's communist totalitarian hell and Stalin's.

Most of the bad stuff about NK was also bad about the USSR.

it's not hard to draw parallels, but that does not yield any relevant insight

and you haven't even bothered to try. not that i want you to; this isn't loving d&d

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Hodgepodge posted:

it's not hard to draw parallels, but that does not yield any relevant insight

and you haven't even bothered to try. not that i want you to; this isn't loving d&d

What are the bad things about North Korea?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 232 days!

hakimashou posted:

What are the bad things about North Korea?

not having actually defeated the imperialist aggression of america despite the divine power of kim jong-un, comerade :smuggo:

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Ancient Sparta, The Assyrian Empire, The Mongolian Empire, Raj India, Belgian Congo, literally every country that practiced serfdom or chattel slavery (the vast majority), every Chinese government until post-GLF, Imperial Japan, Fascist Italy, Fascist Spain, every Latin American government that ever carried out a dirty war, just about every colonial governorate

Try Leninism: It might not be as bad as living in *checks notes* the Belgian Congo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Try Leninism: It might not be as bad as living in *checks notes* the Belgian Congo

Leninist Soviet Union was better than all other countries in its day, and all the countries that you could argue are "better" just so happen to be all-white countries that had sucked up all the surplus value of the Global South for a whole century.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 232 days!

Fallen Hamprince posted:

if you think about it, black slaves had it pretty good because at least they weren't subjected to the immense pressure of the interior of a neutron star, thought to be so vast that it overcomes electron degeneracy pressure and forms exotic forms of matter

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Leninist Soviet Union was better than all other countries in its day, and all the countries that you could argue are "better" just so happen to be all-white countries that had sucked up all the surplus value of the Global South for a whole century.

if only the ussr had gotten on that surplus value game early it wouldnt have to stuff hundreds of thousands of people in gulags for no reason

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

*invades hungary* sorry mate, no choice, all out of surplus value

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Leninist Soviet Union was better than all other countries in its day

The Kronstadt sailors sure thought so.