Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

I do really like Persona 4, like a whole lot. I'm extremely skeptical of high praise for Persona 4's cast, I think, now that I've played it again more recently. I got really, really tired of "Yosuke is weirded out by Kanji" and "none of the girls can cook and torture the boys with their cooking" jokes. I also always felt like Chie and Yukiko were supposed to be the closest friends ever but we only really hear about their friendship--it doesn't develop on-screen, so I have a hard time really being invested in them. Kanji owns, though, and I like Naoto and Rise, too.

I've seen arguments that the Persona 4 cast feels more like genuine friends, but I think that's just because (especially with Golden) there were a lot more "friends hanging out" scenes and has little do with how their relationships are actually written.

(also I really don't like Teddie)

I'm still significantly more likely to play Persona 4 again than 3, and not just because there's no way I'm going to be able with Fuuka's voice for a whole game again :v:

Kanji, Rise and Naoto all have development both inside and outside their social links so you should like them the most.

I like Yosuke a lot but he's only really cool during his social link. He can be hard to like during certain story beats.

Yukiko is kind of eh the whole way through but at least she kicks rear end as a party member.

Chie is thoroughly unlikable at worst and goddamn her voice acting makes me want to stop writing about her right now.

By contrast the P5 cast balances developing different aspects about themselves between story and social link like the aforementioned Kanji, Rise and Naoto so they're all cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

When does this game stop with the hand holding? I've just started with the random dungeon but I feel constantly bombarded, railroaded and unable to get a chance to level up my social stats like guts or whatever.

Yeah, you'll be pretty free after that first trip to the random dungeon, Mementos.

That said, the game does go through little periods of serious hand-holding sometimes, hence all the Morgana "go to sleep" jokes. Every once in a while it just becomes story time and you have a few days in a row where you can't do anything but story stuff, but then it opens back up again.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Quick question about the timing of Ryuji's confidant rank/social link.

Are you unable to complete it if you haven't finished it before the end of the sixth dungeon? I'm assuming so, since the protagonist is 'dead', and Ryuji's story is so closely tied to the track team/school. I've waited a couple weeks and he's just not appearing anywhere for me to continue.

It kind of sucks if so. I've got him at rank 7 and wanted to finish him before I dove into the seventh palace.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm a huge sucker for slice of life small town stories and outside of Living With Estranged, Awkward Relatives, it really doesn't scratch that itch for me. I like the look of Inaba, small Japanese towns are rad, but I can't remember any ongoing NPC subplots like P5 has.

I'm curious as how many people's first experience with Anime Highschoolers With A Supernatural Twist P4 was, because with all the talk of loving the characters, yeah I feel there's an underlying sense of venom between how they all interact and just feel like friends cause they spend time together and the friendship parts feel a bit too hollow and saccharine to me now

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Glenn Quebec posted:

When does this game stop with the hand holding? I've just started with the random dungeon but I feel constantly bombarded, railroaded and unable to get a chance to level up my social stats like guts or whatever.

There's an ebb and flow to the railroad bits. It really starts to let up right after palace 3 is available.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Moltrey posted:

I'm a huge sucker for slice of life small town stories and outside of Living With Estranged, Awkward Relatives, it really doesn't scratch that itch for me. I like the look of Inaba, small Japanese towns are rad, but I can't remember any ongoing NPC subplots like P5 has.

I'm curious as how many people's first experience with Anime Highschoolers With A Supernatural Twist P4 was, because with all the talk of loving the characters, yeah I feel there's an underlying sense of venom between how they all interact and just feel like friends cause they spend time together and the friendship parts feel a bit too hollow and saccharine to me now

The only Chinese cartoon I really watched before persona 4 was dragon ball z (and even then that was just when I caught it on toonami) so it was all fresh to me. The only ancillary characters I really liked were the Funky Student and Kid Who Runs Past You Every Morning.

Persona 5 is really good about developing random NPC plotlines.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

I beat the game and read a bunch of this thread, and I have determined that I'm the only person that loves the Mementos bgm.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Dexie posted:

Are you unable to complete it if you haven't finished it before the end of the sixth dungeon? I'm assuming so, since the protagonist is 'dead', and Ryuji's story is so closely tied to the track team/school. I've waited a couple weeks and he's just not appearing anywhere for me to continue.

It kind of sucks if so. I've got him at rank 7 and wanted to finish him before I dove into the seventh palace.

Yes, I ran into this exact same roadblock in my first playthrough and didn't manage to max him. I was also stuck at rank 7 at that point, but at some point they give you at least two more social linking days, so I managed to end with him at rank 8.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Kobogartimer posted:

I beat the game and read a bunch of this thread, and I have determined that I'm the only person that loves the Mementos bgm.

You actually are.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Kobogartimer posted:

I personally don't find it offensive, it's smooth enough that it rolls right off of you unless you are really listening.

That being said, my fiancee was watching me play and started asking how the repeating music doesn't drive me insane, so take that with a grain of salt.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kobogartimer posted:

I find it dreary enough that it's a direct attack on my state of mind unless I tune out to do something else, like watch netflix.

So what I'm saying is you must have innate Drain Psy.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Dexie posted:

Are you unable to complete it if you haven't finished it before the end of the sixth dungeon?

Oh, this makes me think I should ask a broader question. I was planning on waiting to activate second awakening on all the teammates until after Palace 6 for thematic reasons. Will that work?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dexie posted:

Have you checked the arcade in shibuya?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Moltrey posted:

I have no idea since women don't move out to the country side :v:

No one liked Teddie. He's the Mishima of P4.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Xarbala posted:

Have you checked the arcade in shibuya?

Yes. I've looked at the entire map every day and he doesn't show up.

At this point, yeah, I'm totally assuming that story reasons are what's locking him out. :sigh:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dexie posted:

Yes. I've looked at the entire map every day and he doesn't show up.

At this point, yeah, I'm totally assuming that story reasons are what's locking him out. :sigh:

You should've hung out with your bro sooner smh.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

You should've hung out with your bro sooner smh.

I kept putting him off because other confidants/grinding social stats seemed more important. :shrug:

That, and it took forever to get a call from him for rank 7.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dexie posted:

I kept putting him off because other confidants/grinding social stats seemed more important. :shrug:

smh.

Edit: For real that's a shame because he has a great confidant and maybe my favourite evolved Persona.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dexie posted:

Yeah, his rank 7 event can only occur on like one of fifteen nights through the entire playable calendar. The last seven or eight all happen at various points in the endgame, too, in case you missed out on a better time to unlock the event earlier. I try to make a point to get his rank 7 event in May, which is a lot easier to manage if you're not distracted by social stat gaining (because you're already maxed or close to it in an NG+ run)

That said, I'm pretty sure he'll be available again at some point. since some of those potential rank7 days are post-palace 6

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Out of all the totally valid complains people could have about Persona 3 I'm not sure how people have latched onto maybe one of the least credible complaints ie Yukari's voice acting. Every other character I can imagine a voice actor in a booth, reading their lines with various inflections, doing it multiple times to get it right, but Yukari's voice acting just fits so well that it's hard to detach the voice from the character.

Also, it'll take some time to decide since P5 is so new but I think I might like 5 more than 4. 4 was an amazing wild ride on a first playthrough but I think the game loses a lot after an initial experience. P5 on the other hand, I find myself still sitting through a lot of the cutscenes and still reading along with the social links. I think if Ryuji's "haha what a dummy!" personality trait were toned down a bit during the group scenes, I'd really have no complaints about the main cast, especially considering he's extremely level-headed during his social link, and he's much more subdued and low-key intense during the opening before Ann joins.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Hey guys, so I'm on 12/16 and just secured a route to the treasure in this month's palace. Usually this is the point at which I grind money to prepare myself for any extra costs between palaces and the next tier of upgrades from the airsoft shop. Does the airsoft shop update its stock after this palace, or there any other extra costs outside of Personas I might want to grind for after this palace? I've maxed all non-story confidants and social stats. If there aren't I'll just forego the usual grinding.

Viridiant fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 15, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Half of Ryuji's big idiot dumb decision moments are like a deliberate part of his development in main plot rather than just things that occur for gags that aren't funny, so I kinda accept them. They led to a very good scene where he does some self-reflection and apologises and stuff, and it's a pretty powerful moment I like a lot.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Viridiant posted:

Hey guys, so I'm on 12/16 and just secured a route to the treasure in this month's palace. Usually this is the point at which I grind money to prepare myself for any extra costs between palaces and the next tier of upgrades from the airsoft shop. Does the airsoft shop update its stock after this palace, or there any other extra costs outside of Personas I might want to grind for after this palace? I've maxed all non-story confidants and social stats. If there aren't I'll just forego the usual grinding.

You will have the opportunity to grind on much stronger enemies before the end of the year and it will also be your opportunity to inflate your wallet for NG+.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Half of Ryuji's big idiot dumb decision moments are like a deliberate part of his development in main plot rather than just things that occur for gags that aren't funny, so I kinda accept them. They led to a very good scene where he does some self-reflection and apologises and stuff, and it's a pretty powerful moment I like a lot.

Confident Ryuji and Main story Ryuji are 2 different people. He gains and loses character development at rapid rates depending on which palace you're visiting and what the devs wanted at the time.

Mona should stop mocking him earlier though because that gets old even though I like cats.

Ann's SL started out on a higher note and then went progressively downhill with modeling rivalry. I will complete it on NG+ but not looking forward at all.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

SpazmasterX posted:

You will have the opportunity to grind on much stronger enemies before the end of the year and it will also be your opportunity to inflate your wallet for NG+.

Important note about postgame grinding, but with small spoilers: if you really wanna max out your level and get HELLA CASH, grind on The Reaper as soon as you're able because you'll lose access to him after a certain story beat a very small amount of time before the final boss and your alternatives are much slower

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Alder posted:

Confident Ryuji and Main story Ryuji are 2 different people. He gains and loses character development at rapid rates depending on which palace you're visiting and what the devs wanted at the time.

Mona should stop mocking him earlier though because that gets old even though I like cats.

Ann's SL started out on a higher note and then went progressively downhill with modeling rivalry. I will complete it on NG+ but not looking forward at all.

He is super consistent and good actually. Like, sure around mid-game he starts doing dumb poo poo and there's a particularly bad plot he plays a part in around palace 5 (though I kinda find it hard to hold it against him too much since all the stuff surrounding that is super out of character and poorly written for everyone involved) but there's actually a progression with main plot Ryuji that is easy to follow.

Early game Ryuji: Cool and fantastic guy, best boy and friend.
Mid game Ryuji: Desire for popularity goes to head, makes several dumb bad decisions but is still an alright dude.
End game Ryuji: Cool and fantastic guy who recognises his mistakes and wants to change for the better. A surprisingly mature boy.

There's for sure some disconnect between confidant Ryuji and main plot Ryuji especially since he a shows a level of maturity in his link that only ever comes out late game in plot, but it's not like he reverts to just suddenly making awful decisions when the game calls for it. Once he recognises he's been an rear end he stops, because it's a legitimate development in his character that is followed through by the writers.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I can't stop laughing whenever I check the phone and I have a message from the politician with his sad little face

"Hey thoughts about the current administration ;)"

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Yoshida owns

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I know it's probably just "generic Video Game", but are there any competitive light gun games out there besides 2 Spicy that the game Shinya plays might be inspired by?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I personally don't find it offensive, it's smooth enough that it rolls right off of you unless you are really listening.

That being said, my fiancee was watching me play and started asking how the repeating music doesn't drive me insane, so take that with a grain of salt.

Well good thing you found out now, best call it all off if they have an immunity to sick beats. :colbert:.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also, rejecting Mishima never gets old

"Oh I already bought two tickets. I guess I'll go twice."

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He is super consistent and good actually. Like, sure around mid-game he starts doing dumb poo poo and there's a particularly bad plot he plays a part in around palace 5 (though I kinda find it hard to hold it against him too much since all the stuff surrounding that is super out of character and poorly written for everyone involved) but there's actually a progression with main plot Ryuji that is easy to follow.

Early game Ryuji: Cool and fantastic guy, best boy and friend.
Mid game Ryuji: Desire for popularity goes to head, makes several dumb bad decisions but is still an alright dude.
End game Ryuji: Cool and fantastic guy who recognises his mistakes and wants to change for the better. A surprisingly mature boy.

There's for sure some disconnect between confidant Ryuji and main plot Ryuji especially since he a shows a level of maturity in his link that only ever comes out late game in plot, but it's not like he reverts to just suddenly making awful decisions when the game calls for it. Once he recognises he's been an rear end he stops, because it's a legitimate development in his character that is followed through by the writers.

He keeps creeping on Ann as a running gag and I wanted him to cut it off right away because you're friends? No one is glad he's acting like this and Ann even calls him out for being shallow during the Hawaii trip. Then Yusuke suffered from this same problem but he tones it down considerably after joining the team.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
All of the moments where Ryuji is trying to pick up girls are my least favourite Ryuji moments, but he's a dumb teen so I get why he's doing it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Alder posted:

He keeps creeping on Ann as a running gag and I wanted him to cut it off right away because you're friends? No one is glad he's acting like this and Ann even calls him out for being shallow during the Hawaii trip. Then Yusuke suffered from this same problem but he tones it down considerably after joining the team.

Ryuji's dumbest moments of that come from a couple of the animated cutscenes which are just weirdly out of place in general, and kinda come off as being made before they had a complete handle on the plot. He's still a perv though and those scenes are bad yeah, but honestly compared to Yosuke and even Junpei he's much less of one (though that might just be because Persona 5 has less goof off moments where they can play that up), so it didn't bother me too much. And at the very least even that part of his character is pretty much gone post-palace 5.

Though I guess my feelings on it might just be because it surpassed my low expectations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ryuji's dumbest moments of that come from a couple of the animated cutscenes which are just weirdly out of place in general, and kinda come off as being made before they had a complete handle on the plot. He's still a perv though and those scenes are bad yeah, but honestly compared to Yosuke and even Junpei he's much less of one (though that might just be because Persona 5 has less goof off moments where they can play that up), so it didn't bother me too much. And at the very least even that part of his character is pretty much gone post-palace 5.

Though I guess my feelings on it might just be because it surpassed my low expectations.

It's weird because during the SL he's completely serious about the track team and trying to turn his life around then it's whiplashed to being an idiot with the main story.

There are moments where they don't add anything interesting to the plot but instead take away from it as a whole. It's possible they had different scenario writers so it could be more than just one person making the wrong decisions for events :shrug:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

The Deleter posted:

All of the moments where Ryuji is trying to pick up girls are my least favourite Ryuji moments, but he's a dumb teen so I get why he's doing it.

It annoyed me that I couldn't turn down his girl hunting during the beach, especially considering Joker was already dating someone. Likewise it struck me as odd that Ann and Makoto mention how the guys can't steal hearts outside of the Metaverse considering Joker was dating them (in two separate games; don't cheat on your waifu). I wish the game was better at being reactive to things like that, it doesn't take much to change a few lines and it works wonders for ~immersion~.

I guess they feel that it's a tradition in Persona games to have that though so they aren't likely to change it at this point.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 11:33 on May 15, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Alder posted:

It's weird because during the SL he's completely serious about the track team and trying to turn his life around then it's whiplashed to being an idiot with the main story.

There are moments where they don't add anything interesting to the plot but instead take away from it as a whole. It's possible they had different scenario writers so it could be more than just one person making the wrong decisions for events :shrug:

I don't think Ryuji being serious about helping people in his confidant and then being dumb about poo poo like girls and popularity is super inconsistent, cause he usually keeps it together when they're on the job and helping people out and all (big exception being how he's super insistent on taking down Okumura due to the poll, but Haru backs him up on that and it's like one of the main things he apologies for and vows to improve about himself in that phone call before palace 6). A lot of those scenes are pretty bad but I don't think they really contradict the way he acts in his link.

You're right though that there's definitely moments or scenes in the game that feel like they're left in from earlier drafts where they were more important, but in the final story just don't amount to much. Hawaii comes to mind.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Motto posted:

I know it's probably just "generic Video Game", but are there any competitive light gun games out there besides 2 Spicy that the game Shinya plays might be inspired by?

Unrelated, but when I read this all I could think about was this, so thanks for that.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
It reminded me of this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O062FsvPT-E

Only played the tutorial of it and even that took me 30 minutes to get through. Had no idea what i was doing
It was pretty cool though. You could combine the guns to make them something else ingame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't think Ryuji being serious about helping people in his confidant and then being dumb about poo poo like girls and popularity is super inconsistent, cause he usually keeps it together when they're on the job and helping people out and all (big exception being how he's super insistent on taking down Okumura due to the poll, but Haru backs him up on that and it's like one of the main things he apologies for and vows to improve about himself in that phone call before palace 6). A lot of those scenes are pretty bad but I don't think they really contradict the way he acts in his link.

You're right though that there's definitely moments or scenes in the game that feel like they're left in from earlier drafts where they were more important, but in the final story just don't amount to much. Hawaii comes to mind.

Ryuiji says in Yosuke's SL that in regards to Yusuke having to choose between painting for the art vs painting for money, that he originally ran for the fame and girls. While he soon realised that he really ran for his teammates, he wasn't going to deny that he wanted fame and fortune, and that it's not inherently bad to do so. They're not mutually exclusive things

Ryuji owns that side of him and is still honest about doing the right thing. He never abuses his power to gain fame but still hopes that it would naturally follow from being just and doing right.

Ryuiji is best boy because he really does have his poo poo together from moment one. He's dealt with pretty much most of his personal demons before his SL which is mostly about him willingly facing the consequences of his prior choices in order to do right by his friends, rather than having to grow as a person.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 15, 2017