Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jerome Louis posted:

SDBJJ? That was my first school. Hard to train at other gyms now because of how nice that place was. Lots of Paulo's black belts were promoted to blue belt around the same time I was... crazy to think If I had just kept training I could have been a blackbelt by now.

I just signed back up for BJJ after not having done any martial arts seriously in like 4 or 5 years. I'm pretty scared actually, I'm super out of shape and have arthritic shoulders and a bad back. Signed up at Ultimate Fitness in Sac, it's actually pretty cheap, $99/mo for unlimited BJJ/Boxing/Muay Thai, no contract. My belt doesn't even fit around me anymore and I'm gonna have wrap it around once instead of twice like a slob. Blehh disgusting

Yep thats where Im going. Place is amazing. Its got a huge mat area. As for instructors, Paulo is a funny, dedicated and driven instructor. Adam and Alain (if you remember them) are also incredibly patient and helpful. I feel like I've been blessed to be directed to this place (by a friend of mine that used to train there).

JaySB posted:

I train 4-5x a week. When I started I was going twice a day 4 days a week...Needless to say I get my $100/mo worth.

Same here and drat thats a good deal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

$100/mo seems like an insanely good deal if it's multiple disciplines and unlimited. In NYC BJJ is $200 min for unlimited, striking gyms are in the $150+ range.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

got any sevens posted:

Yeah I have no illusions of either, I just wanted to learn a bit of self defense and try sparring a bit since I've never been in a fight. I'm moving in a few months anyway, should I try a diff kind of martial art? Which ones aren't too hard on my knees?

I would suggest picking up any martial art that has a competitive sport aspect and just never mentioning krav maga again. Just pace yourself and be open to learning and you should hopefully avoid any undue stress on any of your body's glowing weak spots.

There is no overstating how much more beneficial it is (even for "self defense" on the mean streets) to consistently spar with a live and resisting opponent.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

VulgarandStupid posted:

I'm not sure how this guy's aikido credentials check out, but here you go:

https://youtu.be/0KUXTC8g_pk

Meanwhile, in China:

quote:

For weeks, the mixed martial arts fighter Xu Xiaodong had been taunting masters of the traditional Chinese martial arts, dismissing them as overly commercialized frauds, and challenging them to put up or shut up.

After one of them — Wei Lei, a practitioner of the “thunder style” of tai chi — accepted the challenge, Mr. Xu flattened him in about 10 seconds.

Mr. Xu may have proved his point, but he was unprepared for the ensuing outrage.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/10/world/asia/mma-martial-arts-china-tai-chi.html?_r=0

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

I want to start training a martial art on my off days from lifting for some general fitness + fun. Planning to sign up for an intro BJJ course to see if I like it, but not sure if I should go with the Gi or No Gi course that this place offers. Would one be preferable to the other for a beginner going in with no experience?

Also if any martial arts goons are in the Richmond, VA area, do you have any thoughts on Revolution BJJ or recommendations for where else to check out?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Jato posted:

I want to start training a martial art on my off days from lifting for some general fitness + fun. Planning to sign up for an intro BJJ course to see if I like it, but not sure if I should go with the Gi or No Gi course that this place offers. Would one be preferable to the other for a beginner going in with no experience?

Also if any martial arts goons are in the Richmond, VA area, do you have any thoughts on Revolution BJJ or recommendations for where else to check out?

If you're in shape, you may find no-gi more fun as it rewards strength and explosiveness. And if you're not in shape, in gi you can slow things down with grips and technique.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I would probably say no-gi just so you don't have to drop money into a gi if it turns out that it's not the hobby for you. Are you male/female small/large? I would say if you're male/large try no-gi and if you're female/small try gi.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 11, 2017

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I do both during the week and I think Gi is more fun.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Do both. There's more control in gi and it's a slower pace. I think gi favors the person on offense and no gi favors the one on defense.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Thanks, all. I think I'm going to start at a different school because their schedule works a little better for me and the only beginner program they have is gi. They do have a no gi class one night a week though so I'll be sure to give that a shot and see how I like it. Going to sit in on a beginner's class next week and check the place out.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Jato posted:

Thanks, all. I think I'm going to start at a different school because their schedule works a little better for me and the only beginner program they have is gi. They do have a no gi class one night a week though so I'll be sure to give that a shot and see how I like it. Going to sit in on a beginner's class next week and check the place out.

Have fun dude

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Bangkero posted:

I'm not sure on current prices around the GTA within the last two years, but that sounds about right - Openmat is known to be a bit more expensive than other gyms. But they usually run a promo that reduces the cost for the annual pass.

Were you able to try out other BJJ places or did you stick with your current one?

I'm going to give Openmat a try this month. Unfortunately aside from that and TorontoBJJ no other places offer significant trials. I think I'm leaning towards TBJJ just for the convenience of their schedule.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Subyng posted:

I'm going to give Openmat a try this month. Unfortunately aside from that and TorontoBJJ no other places offer significant trials. I think I'm leaning towards TBJJ just for the convenience of their schedule.
TBJJ is known for its serious training atmosphere but Coach Britto is top notch. They epitomize the STFU and train attitude - which is a bit of a turn off for a hobbyist vs. a competitor. Yeah, unfortunately most gyms will only have a week trial and it's tough to gauge if you're unsure what to look for, but I'd say that the atmosphere's at TBJJ and OpenMat are on opposite ends of the atmosphere spectrum so seeing the difference will help gauge other gyms if you're willing to try other places. Innercity MMA is in the vicinity and Shah Franco is a good teacher with a very laidback approach.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Ended up doing a 20 minute roll with someone this morning, which I think is the longest for me so far. We are so focused on technique but learning to breathe calmly really helps holding out that long.

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.
So I'm fighting again in 10 days. Not feeling as confident for this one. Here's a video of one of my 2-0 opponent's fights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya1mI6fB49s

Any comments welcome. I feel like his style looks similar to mine - throw big punches until you get a hold of the guy and get it to the ground. Believe he's a purple belt at an alright gym. It'll be interesting to see how it goes, my biggest fears are my poor conditioning and semi-functional knee holding me back.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Hard to tell too much about his striking but his wrestling and jiu jitsu look pretty good.

How's your boxing?

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.

JaySB posted:

Hard to tell too much about his striking but his wrestling and jiu jitsu look pretty good.

How's your boxing?

It's... ok. I can throw decently powerful right hands, mostly overhands. I have problems with lasting power and with maintaining distance. Doesn't help that I usually have a reach disadvantage. I don't think I have the style or endurance to feel confident about winning a decision using my striking, so really I'd just be banking on rocking him with a right hand and either finishing with strikes or taking it to the ground. I'm not even sure I have the ability at 145 to get a finish by KO or TKO though, since y'know we don't spar 100% in the gym so I'm still untested there.

My biggest strength is my BJJ and I can shoot an aggressive double/single when I'm not exhausted. I'm pretty strong in sub-defense so I'm not particularly worried about losing by sub but I'm not sure who will have the advantage and be able to take top position on the ground.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

The Darlok posted:

So I'm fighting again in 10 days. Not feeling as confident for this one. Here's a video of one of my 2-0 opponent's fights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya1mI6fB49s
Very little to go on, but his striking looks really clumsy. Not the domain of concern, but you'll want to move off line hard on this guy.
His footwork is pretty slow, so if you think he's loading up on that overhand, duck slightly under with your head, step with your rear foot outside, and
1) step forward with the rear foot and throw the rear uppercut or cross, depending on distance. Don't be off balance so you can sprawl or detangle from any clinching.
or
2) pivot your rear foot to the outside so he's moving past you to your right. Throw a 1-2 at range, and if he's definitely out of position, a lead leg kick

If you're not confident in reading that overhand, keep your guard high and shuffle to your left as he's closing in.
Don't try to exchange too much if you're worried about gassing. Just don't stay in front of him and keep circling out.

Going to your video:

The Darlok posted:

Thanks guys. I just got a video of both rounds if anyone cares to watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TibVnRvl6m0
I feel like the two biggest things I need to work on are my reaction time to strikes and not gassing out horribly, presumably due to adrenaline.

At 1:01, the way you freeze after stepping through your cross is not good. You're leaving your leg out there for a single and leaving your head open for his overhand.
In general, stepping your rear foot forward into a stance switch (like 1:08) is dangerous. You're not as reactive while that foot is off the ground.
Same at 1:19. You're weaving from far out, stance switching* forward on your rear foot, planting, and then throwing that hook. Gives your opponent a lot of time to react. Is it possible you're doing a penetration step to give yourself the option of a single leg, and then opting to punch?
The two blitzes at 1:24 and 1:30 are good, but you're widening your base a bit too much, like leaving your rear foot behind on the first one. But the extension you get out of your punches in the 2nd is excellent.

At 2:22, 4:00, and 4:02, you're doing the same thing your next opponent did, swing your cross in a loop and turning your body off balance to the left.
The 3rd time, your opponent does what a southpaw should do, come into the space behind your swinging cross.
If you wanna throw it like that, step to the outside more with your front foot and sit down on the cross more. Hopefully this will let you be centered over your feet at the end of the punch so you can keep moving. As it is now, you have to spend an extra beat turning your body back. Counteracting your own momentum like at 4:10 takes a lot of energy.

*how much of the stance switching is because you were fighting a southpaw?
I wouldn't recommend stepping forward into a stance switch with the new opponent -- that's a gimme for him to clinch up or even go for a knee tap as you swing your rear foot up front.

The Darlok posted:

I can throw decently powerful right hands, mostly overhands. I have problems with lasting power and with maintaining distance. Doesn't help that I usually have a reach disadvantage. I don't think I have the style or endurance to feel confident about winning a decision using my striking, so really I'd just be banking on rocking him with a right hand and either finishing with strikes or taking it to the ground. I'm not even sure I have the ability at 145 to get a finish by KO or TKO though, since y'know we don't spar 100% in the gym so I'm still untested there.
I would let him come to you. Don't accept just standing and getting hit -- be ready to weave and step left or shuffle right.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Seconding the criticism of his striking. He bulls straight in and goes for the body lock and clinch. Based on how he wings his strikes and his overall body language (tense tense tense) when goes for that takedown there's a good chance that he'll slow down a ton after two minutes.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

JC what are you walking around at these days?

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.

Kekekela posted:

JC what are you walking around at these days?

Right now I'm 157. Hopefully will be 155 when I start losing water weight. I'm usually in the low 160s so not a huge change honestly but dieting really sucks.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
X post from the grappler thread:

Whats up MA thread, I'm a brown belt now. Kinda surreal since 1) that's like an adult rank 2) due to my life style (80% travel job) I've been a purple belt for over 5 years, which makes a new belt feel even stranger.

What's funny is that Im commuting to Toronto now and just joined a gym there. So I'm going be rolling back up with a new belt after a single class with them. They seem chill so I'm not too worried about being a target but I almost want like an official letter from my home gym to prove I'm not just like buying a belt on Amazon.

I'm not very good: bird body and not enough consistent mat time. our competitive purples run me over and even the more gifted/bigger blues can make my life hell.

I have a good time on mat and honestly don't care who "wins", because getting my rear end kicked in BJJ is still better than like 3 things I do each week anyway. I think I'm like one of those nba guys they keep around despite being comparatively terrible because he's fun on the bench and easy to deal with.

Anyway for all you blue and white belts: keep training and grinding because eventually they'll just give up and promote you.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Xguard86 posted:

Whats up MA thread, I'm a brown belt now.
Anyway for all you blue and white belts: keep training and grinding because eventually they'll just give up and promote you.

Congratulations!

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Congrats!

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

Whats up MA thread, I'm a brown belt now.
Congrats!

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Edit: Wrong thread.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 23, 2017

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Tore my intercostal cartilage yesterday sparring. Apparently this is a common injury??

Xguard86 posted:

Whats up MA thread, I'm a brown belt now. Kinda surreal since 1) that's like an adult rank 2) due to my life style (80% travel job) I've been a purple belt for over 5 years, which makes a new belt feel even stranger.

What's funny is that Im commuting to Toronto now and just joined a gym there. So I'm going be rolling back up with a new belt after a single class with them. They seem chill so I'm not too worried about being a target but I almost want like an official letter from my home gym to prove I'm not just like buying a belt on Amazon.

I'm not very good: bird body and not enough consistent mat time. our competitive purples run me over and even the more gifted/bigger blues can make my life hell.

I have a good time on mat and honestly don't care who "wins", because getting my rear end kicked in BJJ is still better than like 3 things I do each week anyway. I think I'm like one of those nba guys they keep around despite being comparatively terrible because he's fun on the bench and easy to deal with.

Congrats!!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

spiralbrain posted:

Tore my intercostal cartilage yesterday sparring. Apparently this is a common injury??

Congrats!!

Thanks and yes pretty common I think. Happened to me. Take enough time healing because it's slow and easy to reinjure.

Also mine crept in very slowly and I traced it to some unhealthy movements in my game. So if this wasn't a sudden event then examine how much you're disconnecting your shoulders and hips then twisting

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

spiralbrain posted:

I've done it a few times. As above, rest is the key. I was finally feeling better, and then I re-injured it shoveling snow.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

spiralbrain posted:

What does that feel like? Months ago our coach decided we weren't moving fast enough and ended class with a 100 count pushup set. I haven't been able to do a pushup since due to chest pain.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Neon Belly posted:

What does that feel like? Months ago our coach decided we weren't moving fast enough and ended class with a 100 count pushup set. I haven't been able to do a pushup since due to chest pain.

First off thanks guys, I will rest it. It feels better today than it did yesterday but I get the feeling that its one of those injuries that you might feel better once it feels like its healed up, but you just need to be careful with coming back too early and re-injuring it again.

As for how it feels, I managed to get my whole chest into a weird position where my right side rib folded. When that happened it felt like I broke a rib, that maybe a rib poked into my body, and I heard a noticeable "pop". My instructor said that even before I was on my back, he knew what it was based on where I was grabbing. Makes it hard (but not incredibly difficult) to get up and move around.

Oh well, poo poo happens. Ive been through worse :D

edit: Also, instructor said this is a common injury while attempting triangle and being stacked. Think what happens to your rib while being stacked and you have a good idea how the cartilage might break.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 23, 2017

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

spiralbrain posted:

First off thanks guys, I will rest it. It feels better today than it did yesterday but I get the feeling that its one of those injuries that you might feel better once it feels like its healed up, but you just need to be careful with coming back too early and re-injuring it again.

As for how it feels, I managed to get my whole chest into a weird position where my right side rib folded. When that happened it felt like I broke a rib, that maybe a rib poked into my body, and I heard a noticeable "pop". My instructor said that even before I was on my back, he knew what it was based on where I was grabbing. Makes it hard (but not incredibly difficult) to get up and move around.

Oh well, poo poo happens. Ive been through worse :D

edit: Also, instructor said this is a common injury while attempting triangle and being stacked. Think what happens to your rib while being stacked and you have a good idea how the cartilage might break.

I've done that on both sides, both times when I had a larger opponent on top of me. Seriously take a couple weeks off.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

It took me a month to do normal exercise and then another month when it stopped flairing up in BJJ all the time.

It was my floating rib and I def felt it slide up over my other ribs and then pop back into position. Idk if thats worse than most people but hot drat it was debilitating.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
For a couple weeks, I had to invent novel ways of getting up from bed without posting on my elbow or hand, or my sternum would really sting. After that, it would hurt slightly to stretch my arms out fully to the sides, but had no other symptoms. Took a few months to go away fully.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

For a couple weeks, I had to invent novel ways of getting up from bed without posting on my elbow or hand, or my sternum would really sting. After that, it would hurt slightly to stretch my arms out fully to the sides, but had no other symptoms. Took a few months to go away fully.

Omg yes, getting into and out of bed was a nightmare. I would roll out onto all fours on the floor and stand from there.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Someone body triangled me too hard and popped my rib years ago. I tried to keep rolling but I couldn't take any deep breaths. I took two weeks off from everything, sleeping was a pain in the rear end. I was lifting again in 2 weeks and rolling again in 3. Nothing about it was fun.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

What's the thread opinion on capoeira?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Music Theory posted:

It's a really fun acrobatic activity. Lot's of mobility, balance and body coordination involved so it's great for those sort of things.

Also when you get good, if ever (not easy to do) it looks really great so you can post awesome instagram videos :D

Xguard86 posted:

Thumbs up, good job!

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Music Theory posted:

Lots of fun, limited martial application. Hope you like singing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

02-6611-0142-1 posted: