Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

https://twitter.com/iliza/status/863848658873102336

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Iliza Shlesinger is a pretty awesome comedian, and I hear her new show is fairly alright.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Today I learned Topps once offered genuine election 2000 florida ballot chads and pieces of Frank Serpico's shirt as rare baseball card pack-ins

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Arc Light posted:

I have yet to see a "gently caress you liberal snowflake" facebook poster who didn't also post stuff like "If you stomp on the flag, I'll stomp on your face," or start crying about football players not standing for the national anthem.

I posted this on Facebook and immediately got a rant.

quote:

There is a difference between getting mad because you didn't get your way like a 2 year old and being upset about someone disrespecting the country we all share. If America is so terrible why aren't these people leaving? There is a simple solution if you hate the country. However even though I didn't vote for trump there isn't anything me or anyone else can do to change that he is in fact our president.

Your logic is flawed since there are varying degrees of the emotion required to be a snowflake. Anger or disgust are not an all or nothing proposition. I'm certain that you aren't as angered by someone cutting you off in traffic as you would be if say someone murdered your mom. Throwing a fit because you didn't get what you want is the most basic of forms of anger as opposed to having pride in your nation and not wanting someone to disrespect the symbol of that nation. Try that poo poo in the middle east or Africa. They will kill you for actions like that. So your ability to stomp on a flag is in fact on of the things that makes this nation that you are protesting by stomping on said flag one of the greatest nations in the world.

That being said it is also within the realms of freedom for a retired marine or even some civilian to punch said person for the disrespect to their fallen brothers and sisters.

Thanks guy who already forgot my deployments to the middle East and Africa. Like the lack of perspective is kinda funny to me; is he saying it's my right to punch him because I feel like HE'S a jackass?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Wasabi the J posted:

Thanks guy who already forgot my deployments to the middle East and Africa. Like the lack of perspective is kinda funny to me; is he saying it's my right to punch him because I feel like HE'S a jackass?

I think so. Go ahead and punch him right in the back of the face.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

lmao

we love are troops

E: I posted it too, i wanna see if i get any bites

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 15, 2017

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Wasabi the J posted:

"In America you are free to burn that flag unlike in the Middle East or Africa. So don't burn it"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

FastestGunAlive posted:

"In America you are free to burn that flag.... So don't burn it"

That's actually a more sensible reply, because it implies the people won't stop you, but they would be irritated, which is a reasonable thing to say.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
"the flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display (for example, the flag being faded or torn), should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning"

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Wasabi the J posted:

Call him a commie for saying America is only "one of the greatest nations in the world".

loving unamerican shitlord, lol

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Wasabi the J posted:

That's actually a more sensible reply, because it implies the people won't stop you, but they would be irritated, which is a reasonable thing to say.

I've gotten most people I've engaged on the subject to back down from "it should be illegal" to "yeah, free speech, but that doesn't mean there should be no social repercussions"

Which is exactly how it should be. People SHOULD be appalled when it happens, it is a deliberately provocative act.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Call him a commie for saying America is only "one of the greatest nations in the world".

You've been in the US too long, you need to binge Euro truck simulator to get your German-ness back.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

I've gotten most people I've engaged on the subject to back down from "it should be illegal" to "yeah, free speech, but that doesn't mean there should be no social repercussions"

Which is exactly how it should be. People SHOULD be appalled when it happens, it is a deliberately provocative act.

That also removes their excuse for being called out on social media shitlording

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

quote:

That being said it is also within the realms of freedom for a retired marine or even some civilian to punch said person for the disrespect to their fallen brothers and sisters.

Yea! It should be right for them to assault you because of the FALLEN PATRIOTS WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES SO YOU COULD DEMONSTRATE IN A NON-FACIST COUNTRY WHY DO YOU HATE AMERICA!? :911:

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yo what happened to your leg???

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
If you fought or died for a flag you're a knob. It's just a piece of cloth. It's what it represents is what is important, and no one can trample on that.

Well, except for Trump, so get upset about that.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Deathy McDeath posted:

Yo what happened to your leg???

'murican healthcare made it great again.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

not caring here posted:

If you fought or died for a flag you're a knob. It's just a piece of cloth. It's what it represents is what is important, and no one can trample on that.

Well, except for Trump, so get upset about that.

I always felt like American flag worship was a relic of the gilded age and America's more shameful chapters.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Wasabi the J posted:

I always felt like American flag worship was a relic of the gilded age and America's more shameful chapters.

We are living through one of America's more shameful chapters.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

Same, but with the Pledge of Allegiance.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Wasabi the J posted:

MRC48B posted:

Both are more a result of the red scare and subsequent cold war, imo.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

MRC48B posted:

Having children stand and recite a pledge to a flag as soon as they're in the education system is really weird to the rest of the civilized world, by the way. And I'm not even just talking about Deutschland.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Yea lol it's really fuckin weird and creepy to everyone else

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Lotta unpatriotic fuckers in this thread

I do my duty :patriot:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjKFIim6Gj8

poodonkey
Dec 31, 2013
If you have the misfortune to grow up in Texas, you do the Texas pledge too. Which is much more awkward.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

poodonkey posted:

If you have the misfortune to grow up in Texas, you do the Texas pledge too. Which is much more awkward.

:frogon:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Well, you have to start by putting in a lip of Redman...

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

https://www.tsl.texas.gov/ref/abouttx/flagpledge.html

The State Department of Texas posted:

Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

That is retarded

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

CMD598 posted:

That is retarded

Texas.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I'm completely out of touch, but as far as I know my stepkid has never done the pledge of allegiance in the entire time I've been her stepdad, 1st-7th grade.

I swear they finally got rid of it or maybe just Washington state did I don't know.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mike-o posted:

I'm completely out of touch, but as far as I know my stepkid has never done the pledge of allegiance in the entire time I've been her stepdad, 1st-7th grade.

I swear they finally got rid of it or maybe just Washington state did I don't know.

They don;t do it anymore afaik

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Wait, I thought there was a special law that allowed Texas to be split into up to four (five?) states. How can it then be indivisible?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
People in Texas love to invent 'special things' about that dumb rear end state that are not true.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

I cannot help but read that in Beyoncé voice.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ded posted:

People in Texas love to invent 'special things' about that dumb rear end state that are not true.

This describes texas pretty well.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I nearly got my rear end kicked in a Texas bar when I called the girl I was sitting with a good oval office

Thank god she'd visited kiwiland and stopped some random Texan who came running across to beat me senseless by yelling HE'S FROM NEW ZEALAND IT'S FINE

welp that's my Texas story

poodonkey
Dec 31, 2013
Remember that Texas seceded from two different countries over the question of owning human beings as property and you have a good insight into the place.

Counterpoint: Whataburger (maybe)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

orange juche posted:

This describes texas pretty well.

"ABSOLUTELY loving NOTHING" is so god drat right it hurts. I drove home from Fort Hood when I ETS'd and holy gently caress, seeing a tree was a notable event for the hour.

• Locked thread