Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

next zelda will let you kiss link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

AlphaKeny1 posted:

But what about Tingle

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

What's the best way to use additonal controllers? A pro controller seems like a smart choice but what for the fourth slot? Another individual joy-con?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I had a party yesterday and a friend brought his switch (which had 4 controllers) to my house and we set it up and played Mario Kart. I didn't play but everyone was complaining about delayed signals and controllers were dropping out mid-race. My friend said this had never happened before, but I don't have any signal problems with any devices I own. At the end all the players were sitting like 2-6 feet from the device but it didn't get any better. We tried it again once a lot of people had left, and it didn't get any better. Is this normal? (most of my devices are wired up to ethernet, because it's faster than wifi, but my game controllers etc work fine).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe they were accidentally brushing the sync button and turning their controllers off?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I will say this much about my second attempt at BotW: knowing how to take care of Guardians has eliminated one of my major sources of frustration from last time I tried it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ciaphas posted:

I will say this much about my second attempt at BotW: knowing how to take care of Guardians has eliminated one of my major sources of frustration from last time I tried it.

It's really cool that you can take them out early game pretty easily if you're skilled enough at parrying.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

that ivy guy posted:

What's the best way to use additonal controllers? A pro controller seems like a smart choice but what for the fourth slot? Another individual joy-con?

A pair of joycon since they can be used together as a more complex controller and also because some games, even first party games (and this is the only real complaint I have with Nintendo so far), don't recognize the Pro Controller at all.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mega64 posted:

But what about Tingle

You play as Tingle.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

pissdude posted:

I've been a zelda fan since I was a kid with the first game on the NES. I played and loved ALL of them up until Twilight Princess which I despised and kind of fell out of love with the series after failing to finish it. Enjoyed Phantom Hourglass and LBW (didn't like Spirit Tracks) and have never touched Skyward Sword.

I got BOTW as my first Switch game and really enjoyed it. I beat it at around 46 hours played. Did a good smattering of shrines and exploring, didn't grind bits and pieces for crafting or anything. I feel like I sampled all that the game had to offer. It was a very enjoyable game, but I was definitely getting pretty tired of the formula by the end. I knew after a certain point that if I didn't just go straight to Hyrule Castle and finish it that I'd get bored/burned out pretty quickly. So I went to Hyrule Castle and found that I didn't feel like exploring any of it. I just found any way I could to beeline straight for the top and face Ganon. I still don't even really know what Hyrule Castle is like - I just swam up the waterfall and used the bird move to fly up to the last boss ASAP because I was growing tired of playing. Beat Ganon on my first try and just haven't played it since.

I don't think that there's anything exceptional about the game design of BOTW - it's just an exceptional example of the open world exploration game. It does what it does super well and exploring is a joy in it. It's also a very repetitive and tedious game at times, and there's nothing particularly deep or interesting about the combat. I still really enjoyed my time with the game and there are certain things about it that I think are fantastic. I'll definitely replay it some day. I don't think it's "The Greatest Game Of All Time", and the near-religious fervor exhibited by people over it is kind of weird to me, but I understand why it's like that with how Nintendo people can be and all

Anyway that's my take on BOTW thanks for reading seeya

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Played Kart on the train to my parents'. Owned.

Then crushed their 16 year old neighbor who "has never lost a race."

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The combat in Zelda is pretty drat deep and satisfying, especially by open world game standards.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Ciaphas posted:

What exactly is Has-Been Heroes anyway? I couldn't get a sense of it from the trailer.

It's a roguelike, but pretty unique gameplay. (At least as far as I've played... I mean it's not a twin stick shooter.) When in battle there are 3 lanes that constantly have enemies coming forward and you have a hero in each lane. The way combat works, you are usually trying to knock their shields/stamina down with a hero and then switch to another to do damage/knockback combos. Each heroes attack is on a timer and they do different amount of strikes depending on their class. That's the basics of it, lots of lane switching heroes. The controls were rough for the first twenty minutes or so, but fortunately there is a quick pause button that will be needed and used often.

There's hundreds of spells/items that augment your heroes to find/unlock. You get a few spells to start with each hero and more can be found/purchased on map locations. There also appears to be 36 different heroes within 3 different classes to find/unlock. From what I can tell, their differences are going to be their starting spells and when you find new spells each character has augments. For example my rogue'ish hero has a slot that says, "Using a buff on a hero buffs your whole party". So when I found the spell Quickstrike:"Recharge target's melee instantly and next melee recharge will also be instant" and had it in that slot... I turned into a killing machine every few minutes.

Only a couple hours in but really enjoying it, it's probably not for everyone though. It was only $20 for a physical copy at Gamestop though, so I know i'll get my monies worth at this rate.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

The combat in Zelda is pretty drat deep and satisfying, especially by open world game standards.

Play hzd

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Infinitum posted:

Supposedly the handheld Zelda team, which traditionally does 3DS/2DS/etc, is working on a Switch Zelda title.

So I'm 100% A-OK with the 'main' Zelda team making grand open-world games, while the handheld team keeps making top down traditional 8 dungeon Zelda games.

Best of both worlds.

What if they made a game where you were 2D link and then you went and did a thing and went into the "dark world" but then it was a 3D open world Zelda game and you could go back and forth - Molyneux

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Borsche69 posted:

I've never been a fan of key items because they're exactly that: a key. You use them in the dungeon they're made for and you don't really come across other opportunities to see them shine, outside of the bow/hookshot/power gloves. But even then when htey're used outside of the dungeon, they're used in the manner of a key. You make a note of this different texture because that's a hookshottable surface, and you need the key to come back and access that area. BOTW does a good job of just giving the magnesis/cryosis/et al a lot of utility, where you have different ways of using them or combining them to navigate terrain or make your life easier.

As it is I wouldn't have minded another two dungeons, or if the four dungeons in the game were about twice the size. There are a couple shrines that feel like they are as big as the proper dungeons or take the same time to navigate through which feels a little awkward. It would be cool if all the bird dungeons were more like Hyrule Castle in terms of their build. I would also like if the four races had a little bit more going on in their areas, especially the Rito.

With all that said this is just the first open world game that I've had fun exploring. There's lots of little cute poo poo scattered everywhere. I'd like more substantial quests I suppose, but I really can't complain.

This is true of OOT and worse in modern Zeldas, but have you played Link between Worlds, or Link to the Past, or even to some extent Oracles or Link's Awakening? The "this key item is only used in one place" is doing it wrong and they used to be better than that, and Link between Worlds showed that they can still do that, and its AWESOME.

Seriously play link between worlds.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

AlphaKeny1 posted:

It's already been announced that the next Senran Kagura game will use HD rumble to simulate the feel of a jiggling boob, so that's possible.

We're in a brave new world

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Wanna jiggle that sweet meat.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Truly the future of video games is here, hail Satan.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
If I were to buy three Neo Geo games, what would I get? Metal Slug, Fatal Fury, and _____?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

gypsyshred posted:

If I were to buy three Neo Geo games, what would I get? Metal Slug, Fatal Fury, and _____?

Golf, case closed.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

gypsyshred posted:

Garou: Mark of the Wolves or Waku Waku 7

I haven't tried KoF '98 or SamSho IV yet but those should be good too

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

This isn't really apropos of anything other than just general Zelda talk, but I think it would be cool if there were cities in the next game, connected by subway tunnels that have fallen into disuse and have become haunted. You can clear these at any time, but it's a difficult task for the unprepared, as these tunnels are full of Redeads and Skulltulla queens, and worse.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

This isn't really apropos of anything other than just general Zelda talk, but I think it would be cool if there were cities in the next game, connected by subway tunnels that have fallen into disuse and have become haunted. You can clear these at any time, but it's a difficult task for the unprepared, as these tunnels are full of Redeads and Skulltulla queens, and worse.

BREATH OF THE SPIRIT TRACKS

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Rerelease Phantom Hourglass + Spirit Tracks on the Switch without stylus controls

Winner winner chicken dinner

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Rerelease Phantom Hourglass + Spirit Tracks on the Switch without stylus controls

Winner winner chicken dinner

Spirit tracks is would still be garbage

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

gypsyshred posted:

I would definitely get Mark of The Wolves over Fatal Fury. It's Fatal Fury 1; it has like 3 characters.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

hey how about a metriod game?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

a.lo posted:

hey how about a metriod game?

These E3 Metroid rumors are going to leave so many people disappointed.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm hoping for a Metroid announcement solely so you guys will shut the fuuuuuuck up about Zelda.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

The general rule of thumb is whenever you think Nintendo is going to announce something and it seems likely to you, just assume it won't happen

hope y'all are excited for the secret switch dkc game by retro

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 15, 2017

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

This is true of OOT and worse in modern Zeldas, but have you played Link between Worlds, or Link to the Past, or even to some extent Oracles or Link's Awakening? The "this key item is only used in one place" is doing it wrong and they used to be better than that, and Link between Worlds showed that they can still do that, and its AWESOME.

Seriously play link between worlds.

This doesn't exist in LTTP, or either Oracles games. Those are very much Key items. I have played LBW and it actually does has that. In fact, each Dungeon actually requires an item. It doesn't matter that you can get the items in any order, or do the dungeons in basically any order, it doesn't remove the fact that the items themselves are basically keys, that you use to get around certain doors. There are exceptions in LBW (the tornado rod lets you sequence break keys a lot) but the hammer is a key. the sand rod is a key. They are items that you use to get passed certain doors exclusively.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
When I played LBW I bought all the items and never died so I just had everything and it felt less impressive than going around BotW with no special items or finding them in dungeons. It was a lovely game, but I don't think it did the item thing all that well, personally.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I was actually getting into BotW but apparently I've been playing more of it than I thought 'cause the battery's dead. Now I'm sad.

I tyhought someone here said it gets like six and a bit hours handheld time in BotW, didn't feel like I was playing THAT long...

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

No it gets like less than 3 hours. Someone lied to you

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh well! I'm certainly impressed by how good a game can look on a portable, so I guess the tradeoff being short battery life shouldn't be a surprise.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

where is monster hunter

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
So I realize I'm late to the carnival but um what's up with (a) Amazon not selling switches first party and (b) their third-party suppliers charging $110 over MSRP...

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Tayter Swift posted:

So I realize I'm late to the carnival but um what's up with (a) Amazon not selling switches first party and (b) their third-party suppliers charging $110 over MSRP...

Uhh, sold out and profiteers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Patter Song posted:

On a happier note: I finally passed 100% in Puyo Puyo Tetris. I cannot put that damned game down. I love it to death.
It's an amazing game, and it's loving perfect for Switch. Even better is that the two games are very good versions even standalone, with a lot of options for tweaking settings in case you want something closer to old-school Tetris/Puyo with no hold option or five colors or whatever.

I dislike Fusion mode, but Swap mode is legitimately fun.

• Locked thread