Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
the cool thing about death's shadow is that if you run into a deck gunning to beat it, you can just thoughtseize them repeatedly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Walked posted:

Alright guys. I've got two weeks to pick a deck and jam as many mtgo leagues as possible before SCG Baltimore (modern)

Assuming cost and collection aren't prohibitive, what would you pack?

I'm considering a Deaths Shadow variant obviously, but I expect everyone coming gunning to beat it.

Considering Abzan combo with Devoted Druid, UW Control, Lantern (leaning hard away from this as I expect burn and Tron to be really well represented, but it is what I have the most seat time with).

But anything is on the table as far as I'm concerned.

To echo others, play storm, but don't practice and don't study card interactions, just memorize win condition combos, and present them when you have them, then report back how many scoop

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The Sexual Shiite posted:

To echo others, play storm, but don't practice and don't study card interactions, just memorize win condition combos, and present them when you have them, then report back how many scoop

If you're good enough, you can get them to do this without even playing your wincon, a la LSV.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

If you're good enough, you can get them to do this without even playing your wincon, a la LSV.

That's what our storm player was doing, the first time he ran it, although he had his wincon in deck. Everyone scooped, until Final round, first game, I made him play it out and he fizzled, and I won the next turn, second game he fizzled again and I won the next turn. He traded the deck in at the store the next day.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Play Eldrazi Tron, I think it's (not so) secretly the best deck in modern and has very few bad matchups. Granted my local meta is pretty favorable for the deck, but it's pretty cutthroat and in my last 4 events I've gone 5-0, 3-1, 3-0-1, 3-0-1 with it.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Don't play abzan company unless you have time to grind out reps. If you don't want to play a shadow deck then I'll second the eldrazi tron recommendation, it's a very good deck. I'm always down for a goon report on UW control, even if it isn't the best.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Bonus posted:

Play Eldrazi Tron, I think it's (not so) secretly the best deck in modern and has very few bad matchups. Granted my local meta is pretty favorable for the deck, but it's pretty cutthroat and in my last 4 events I've gone 5-0, 3-1, 3-0-1, 3-0-1 with it.

Anyone have a good decklist for this? Are chalices necessary? I've seen most versions running 4x main, but the last SCG open (I think that was it?) had a version that only had 2x in the side and none main. This will probably be the next modern deck I put together since I have just about everything (and I love the idea of getting to wreck face with my eldrazi dudes again), but chalice is one thing I'm lacking ( I only have one) so wondering if I need to pick those up.

Also as for deck ideas, there's always affinity. When I got back into Magic a few years ago I picked that up as my first modern deck, and it's always been a solid choice. I can't really think of a time where it wasn't at least tier 1.5/2, even if it's not ever the "best" deck. I mean it even was able to survive eldrazi winter!

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I don't think Affinity has ever dropped out of Tier 1 if we use the Modern Nexus criteria

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

alansmithee posted:

Anyone have a good decklist for this? Are chalices necessary? I've seen most versions running 4x main, but the last SCG open (I think that was it?) had a version that only had 2x in the side and none main. This will probably be the next modern deck I put together since I have just about everything (and I love the idea of getting to wreck face with my eldrazi dudes again), but chalice is one thing I'm lacking ( I only have one) so wondering if I need to pick those up.

Also as for deck ideas, there's always affinity. When I got back into Magic a few years ago I picked that up as my first modern deck, and it's always been a solid choice. I can't really think of a time where it wasn't at least tier 1.5/2, even if it's not ever the "best" deck. I mean it even was able to survive eldrazi winter!

Here's my decklist: https://deckstats.net/deck-13021810-d32bf255ec4c1d8428d76b474132a609.html
It's pretty close to some stock lists, just made to work well in an unknown meta, since the players at my store all have a lot of decks and the meta is very random. Some people run chalices in the main and some in the side, but it's pretty essential to the deck overall. I run 4 in the main since it's good against decks that Eldrazi Tron would otherwise have a tough time with (burn, death's shadow, ad nauseum, storm, etc.). If the chalices aren't good in the matchup g1 it's no big deal, since ET is very good against midrange decks so it doesn't matter if you draw a chalice or two game 1 because you'll most likely be winning by just overpowering your opponent then.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

uninverted posted:

Abzan company with the new combo is a fantastic deck, but it takes a lot of reps to get comfortable with it and it's a pain to play on MTGO.

Speaking of Abzan Company, what list do you guys like? Looking on MTGO it seems like there's two ways to take it, either all-in on the combo or more of a toolbox approach.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Fingers McLongDong posted:

3 Noble Hierarch
3 Birds of Paradise
3 Viscera Seer
3 Duskwatch Recruiter
3 Vizier of Remedies
2 Devoted Druid
4 Kitchen Finks
2 Eternal Witness
1 Walking Ballista
1 Renegade Rallier
1 Anafenza, Kin-tree Spirit
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Tireless Tracker
1 Selfless Spirit
1 Fiend Hunter

4 Collected Company
4 Chord of Calling

4 Windswept Heath
4 Verdant Catacombs
1 Marsh Flats
2 Temple Garden
2 Overgrown Tomb
1 Godless Shrine
1 Horizon Canopy
1 Razorverge Thicket
2 Gavony Township
2 Forest
1 Plains
1 Swamp

3 Fulminator Mage
2 Sin Collector
1 Kataki, War's Wage
1 Burrenton Forge-tender
1 Qasali Pridemage
1 Orzhov Pontiff
1 Phyrexian Revoker
1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
2 Path to Exile
1 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Worship

My current list from a couple pages ago. Havent gotten to play it in a week and a half. Another goon was saying he likes 3 druid/2 recruiter, both seem good. Deck is good and fun and new combo makes it better than before.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

muon posted:

Speaking of Abzan Company, what list do you guys like? Looking on MTGO it seems like there's two ways to take it, either all-in on the combo or more of a toolbox approach.

Imo there's a healthy middle-ground & flexibility is one of the greatest strengths of the deck. Since it requires a critical mass of creatures <4cmc for Collected Company to be effective you can always go for beats while trying to combo off, and with Chord you can have a bunch of 1-ofs for specific situations in the main.

code:
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Kitchen Finks
3 Devoted Druid
3 Vizier of Remedies
2 Eternal Witness
2 Noble Hierarch
2 Duskwatch Recruiter
1 Selfless Spirit
1 Walking Ballista
1 Archangel of Thune
1 Spike Feeder
1 Fiend Hunter
1 Viscera Seer
1 Bloodthrone Vampire
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Tireless Tracker
1 Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
1 Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
3 Birds of Paradise
4 Chord of Calling
4 Collected Company
1 Courser of Kruphix
4 Devoted Druid
2 Duskwatch Recruiter
3 Eternal Witness
2 Forest
2 Gavony Township
2 Ghost Quarter
4 Kitchen Finks
1 Misty Rainforest
3 Noble Hierarch
2 Overgrown Tomb
2 Razorverge Thicket
1 Scavenging Ooze
2 Temple Garden
2 Tireless Tracker
1 Verdant Catacombs
2 Viscera Seer
4 Vizier of Remedies
4 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills

3 Abrupt Decay
4 Path to Exile
1 Phyrexian Revoker
1 Qasali Pridemage
1 Selfless Spirit
1 Sin Collector
2 Tireless Tracker
2 Voice of Resurgence

Compared to the list I posted a few pages ago, I trimmed the ghost quarters to two (four colorless lands is fine with so little black but gavony township is 100% necessary to the deck) swapped to duskwatch recruiter as the mana sink, and added tracker/courser of kruphix maindeck instead of renegade rallier and voice of resurgence. I had a few too many games with the previous build where I had infinite mana and nothing to do with it, and rhonas is too slow to be a real card in modern when you have no natural 4 power creatures.

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000

little munchkin posted:

the cool thing about death's shadow is that if you run into a deck gunning to beat it, you can just thoughtseize them repeatedly

On the Death's Shadow note, how the heck does is Grixis version supposed to sideboard? All the slots seem way too tight.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Btw, while impractical within the constraints of the deck, there's a neat combo with: your sac outlet, Saffi Eriksdotter, and Reveillark that lets you infinitely loop any creatures with 2 power or less (Fiend Hunter, Fulminator Mage, Tidehollow Sculler)

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

myDad posted:

Btw, while impractical within the constraints of the deck, there's a neat combo with: your sac outlet, Saffi Eriksdotter, and Reveillark that lets you infinitely loop any creatures with 2 power or less (Fiend Hunter, Fulminator Mage, Tidehollow Sculler)

Saffi eriksdotter is also a combo with renegade rallier, viscera seer, and anafenza kin-tree spirit but the new combo is way better so it doesn't make the cut anymore.

Also, if someone surgically extracts your kitchen finks you can still win with infinite mana by repeatedly sacrificing and re-buying two eternal witnesses with an anafenza on the board to get infinite bolsters.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Have you tried a single ballista? It's much easier to go off with when you have infinite mana and is a great value singleton.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
It's completely reasonable to run a ballista instead of the second recruiter, but I think recruiter is a slightly better card when you're not combo-ing and the times when it makes a difference to the combo are very fringe. With the build I posted, you can use the tireless trackers and courser of kruphix to draw anti-hate cards you put on top of your deck postboard (like abrupt decay) when you have infinite mana and recruiter, so winning through rest in peace or similar isn't an issue.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Tireless Tracker is great for a really weird reason.

When you have infinite green mana & Duskwatch Recruiter out you can activate the ability on his human side an arbitrary number of times. Since it looks at the top 3 cards and puts them on the bottom of your library in any order, when the size of your library is a multiple of 3 you scry any single card you want to the top. When the size is NOT a multiple of 3 you can rearrange your library as you like. In the latter case you can rearrange your library to enhance the effectiveness of Collected Company, which can be drawn after rearranging your library with Tireless Tracker.

I think it's a neat trick, but I don't see how Courser of Kruphix comes into the discussion.

e: Since this was started as primarily a discussion between a more all-in on combo vs toolbox & one-of approach I'd like to open it up a little more. Do you think hand disruption is a significant problem alongside Surgical Extraction? Have you thought to minimize the effect these spells can have at tearing apart your gameplan, and how does your approach more embody the combo or toolbox side?

myDad fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 16, 2017

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

myDad posted:

Tireless Tracker is great for a really weird reason.

When you have infinite green mana & Duskwatch Recruiter out you can activate the ability on his human side an arbitrary number of times. Since it looks at the top 3 cards and puts them on the bottom of your library in any order, when the size of your library is a multiple of 3 you scry any single card you want to the top. When the size is NOT a multiple of 3 you can rearrange your library as you like. In the latter case you can rearrange your library to enhance the effectiveness of Collected Company, which can be drawn after rearranging your library with Tireless Tracker.

I think it's a neat trick, but I don't see how Courser of Kruphix comes into the discussion.

e: Since this was started as primarily a discussion between a more all-in on combo vs toolbox & one-of approach I'd like to open it up a little more. Do you think hand disruption is a significant problem alongside Surgical Extraction? Have you thought to minimize the effect these spells can have at tearing apart your gameplan, and how does your approach more embody the combo or toolbox side?

The courser is relevant in case you don't have a land drop in hand to get the clue. It's mostly in the deck because it's a good card though.

EDIT: This iteration is barely a toolbox deck at all, it's a combo/goodstuff deck. Game one you either kill people with the combo when they tap out (80% of the time) or piece some kind of fair win together with creature beats (20% of the time). Post board against heavily interactive decks you want to take out combo pieces in favor of removal and more value dudes.

uninverted fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 16, 2017

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

uninverted posted:

It's completely reasonable to run a ballista instead of the second recruiter, but I think recruiter is a slightly better card when you're not combo-ing and the times when it makes a difference to the combo are very fringe. With the build I posted, you can use the tireless trackers and courser of kruphix to draw anti-hate cards you put on top of your deck postboard (like abrupt decay) when you have infinite mana and recruiter, so winning through rest in peace or similar isn't an issue.

I run multiple recruiters along with a ballista. Finding any when you have mana is an instant win. Recruiter finds ballista, after all, and ballista gives you a non-graveyard way to combo win. Same reasoning people ran thune/feeder combo before.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I came up with a Breakfast Burrito variant that kills the opponent by forcing them to concede or time out on MTGO. I'm hoping to get the kill package to something smaller than 5 cards in the mainboard, but so far this is what I've got.

4x Balustrade Spy
4x Elvish Spirit Guide
1x Eternal Witness
3x Narcomoeba
4x Simian Spirit Guide
1x Sun Titan
1x Worldgorger Dragon
1x Tinder Wall
4x Undercity Informer
1x Wild Cantor
4x Cabal Ritual
4x Dark Ritual
4x Manamorphose
4x Pact of Negation
1x Research//Development
4x Summoner's Pact
4x Chrome Mox
1x Grim Monolith
4x Lotus Petal
1x Animate Dead
2x Bridge from Below
2x Cabal Therapy
1x Dread Return

Sideboard
1x Day of the Dragons
1x Opalescence
1x Callous Oppressor
4x Chancellor of the Annex
4x Leyline of the Void
4x Leyline of Sanctity

Once you use Balustrade Spy or Undercity Informer to put your library into your graveyard, here are the steps to win:

1. Dread Return targeting Sun Titan. Sun Titan returns Animate Dead, enchanting Worldgorger Dragon

2. Worldgorger Dragon exiles everything else, then dies. Animate Dead and Sun Titan return to the battlefield. Animate Dead trigger goes on the stack targeting Worldgorger Dragon, then Sun Titan trigger goes on the stack targeting Lotus Petal. Lotus Petal makes mana, then Animate Dead returns the dragon. Repeat until you have 8WWUUUUG.

3. Sun Titan returns Eternal Witness to get Research. Let the Dragon loop happen one more time, so that...

4. Sun Titan returns an Undercity Informer. Cast Research to shuffle in Day of the Dragons, Opalescence, and Callous Oppressor, then use Undercity Informer to put them all in the graveyard.

5. Worldgorger loop twice for Witness to get the two enchantments, then Sun Titan returns Callous Oppressor.

6. Stop the dragon loop by putting Animate Dead on Undercity Informer, sacrifice Sun Titan, and then cast Opalescence and Day of the Dragons in that order. Hit F6. Your opponent now has to make an infinite number of choices for Callous Oppressor, and will either concede or time out.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 19, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think you need a 7. Return Undercity Informer and sacrifice Sun Titan, otherwise you'll be making decisions each time through the loop too.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Chamale posted:

I came up with a Breakfast Burrito variant that kills the opponent by forcing them to concede or time out on MTGO.
:golfclap:

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

http://i.imgur.com/qkRtskJ.png

Opponent scooped to this one.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
I've been playing u/b faeries(modern) recently and been having a ton of fun. I had most of the cards put together from a failed casual tribal map campaign at a store.
Was playing against Esper last night at the lgs and had a fun time pointing out that Bitterblossom is indeed a faerie when I Mistbind Clique'd on his upkeep and he responded by Pathing and Pushing my two rogue tokens in play to try and stop the champion effect.
Deck is just plain fun. Peppersmoke is stronger then one would think, it is useful for getting Secluded Glen in untapped without revealing your other faeries, as well as having shroud if you use Scion of Oona. 2x Death's Shadow in the side works really really well.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Jabor posted:

I think you need a 7. Return Undercity Informer and sacrifice Sun Titan, otherwise you'll be making decisions each time through the loop too.

Oops, you're right, thank you. Edited.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sixfools posted:

I've been playing u/b faeries(modern) recently and been having a ton of fun. I had most of the cards put together from a failed casual tribal map campaign at a store.
Was playing against Esper last night at the lgs and had a fun time pointing out that Bitterblossom is indeed a faerie when I Mistbind Clique'd on his upkeep and he responded by Pathing and Pushing my two rogue tokens in play to try and stop the champion effect.
Deck is just plain fun. Peppersmoke is stronger then one would think, it is useful for getting Secluded Glen in untapped without revealing your other faeries, as well as having shroud if you use Scion of Oona. 2x Death's Shadow in the side works really really well.

I don't think Peppersmoke should get shroud. That only applies to permanents, right?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Correct, peppersmoke doesn't get shroud. When the ability says faeries you control, that only refers to faeries on the battlefield, not the stack.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It's not a Faerie if it's not on the Battlefield, it's a "Faerie card".

E: sorry, it's a "Faerie spell" when it's on the stack.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 19, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sixfools posted:

List?

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

L0cke17 posted:

Correct, peppersmoke doesn't get shroud. When the ability says faeries you control, that only refers to faeries on the battlefield, not the stack.

misunderstood, either way it's still beneficial to run 2x in the side or main. Kills snap, bob, delver, mana dorks.

So far I've gone 3-1 and 2-2 with this list in a U-tron, Dredge, Jund heavy meta

Creatures (feels like it is in a good spot)
4x Spellstutter Sprite
3x Mistbind Clique
2x Vendilion Clique
4x Scion of Oona (typically I side out 1-2)
1x Snapcaster Mage (just one feels right)
1x Tasigur (I am still iffy on this one)
2x Pack Rat (acts as a flex threat and has synergy with mutavault)

Spells (needs some work mostly this is what I have laying around)
4x Inquisition of Kozilek
2x Thoughtseize
2x Mana Leak
1x Familiar's Ruse (works well with snapcaster and SSS)
1x Cryptic Command (want to goto 2x eventually)
1x Profane Command (good for reaching that last damage, fear is good, creature removal is good, returning a clique is good)
2x Peppersmoke
1xFatal Push (yes it should be a 3-4 of but I can't find any locally)
2x Go for the Throat

Enchantment
4x Bitterblossom

Land (need some River of Tears and Creep-pit but I havent had any issues as you really only need black your first two turns for most hands)
10x Island
3x Swamp
4x Mutavault
2x Waterygrave
4x Secluded Glen

Side
2x Ghost Quarter
2x Extirpate
2x Faerie Macabre
2x Death's Shadow
1x Dismember
1x Mutilate (I dont have Damnation:smith:)
2x Pestermite
2x Collective Brutality
1x Relic of Progenitus

Sixfools fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 20, 2017

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So I've been busting my butt on Abzan Company Combo for SCG Baltimore next weekend. I think I've found something close to the optimal build; right now I'm 9-1 across two Comp League runs today on this build.

Really, really feels solid. The lines of play and level of redundancy is simply nuts. It's resilient to discard; has multiple lines to get to the combo finish, and can grind with the best of them.

It feels like it's got play against the entire meta; no match feels like an instant loss. It can slide into midrange / grind, and threatens a combo finish at every turn. It's not hit by incidental GY hate for dredge. Deck simply feels really, really solid.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Walked posted:

So I've been busting my butt on Abzan Company Combo for SCG Baltimore next weekend. I think I've found something close to the optimal build; right now I'm 9-1 across two Comp League runs today on this build.

Really, really feels solid. The lines of play and level of redundancy is simply nuts. It's resilient to discard; has multiple lines to get to the combo finish, and can grind with the best of them.

It feels like it's got play against the entire meta; no match feels like an instant loss. It can slide into midrange / grind, and threatens a combo finish at every turn. It's not hit by incidental GY hate for dredge. Deck simply feels really, really solid.

Post your list! Do you play more to one combo or the other? Do you find yourself siding out combo pieces for more hate & interaction post-board?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Walked posted:

Have you changed much since we were discussing in here a couple weeks ago? I know I went down to 2 recruiter and up to 3 druid and liked it better, which I think was your suggestion. The only thing I've lost to in 8 rounds over the last 2 weeks was dredge, partially because I think I boarded wrong. I tried to board in a few single answers like path when really i think the answer is to aggressively look for combo .

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Have you changed much since we were discussing in here a couple weeks ago? I know I went down to 2 recruiter and up to 3 druid and liked it better, which I think was your suggestion. The only thing I've lost to in 8 rounds over the last 2 weeks was dredge, partially because I think I boarded wrong. I tried to board in a few single answers like path when really i think the answer is to aggressively look for combo .

To an extent. I'm at 2 Recruiter, 3 Vizier, 4 Druid. I'm out right now but I'll post a full list tonight.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Is the Druid there just for more ramp? Vizier does the beats backup better and is used in both combos present in the list. Curious how your expectations have changed as you tried different ratios of combo, ramp, and beats

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

myDad posted:

Is the Druid there just for more ramp? Vizier does the beats backup better and is used in both combos present in the list. Curious how your expectations have changed as you tried different ratios of combo, ramp, and beats

druid and vizier make infinite mana to activate recruiter to find walking ballista to make an infinite damage ballista

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Mezzanon posted:

druid and vizier make infinite mana to activate recruiter to find walking ballista to make an infinite damage ballista

I've found ballista not to be ideal. Can't Chord or hit off CoCo which is a big deal. I'm running Rhonas with a red splash for Kessig Wolf Run as plan b/c.

Full list and write up tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Walked posted:

I've found ballista not to be ideal. Can't Chord or hit off CoCo which is a big deal. I'm running Rhonas with a red splash for Kessig Wolf Run as plan b/c.

Full list and write up tonight

I've had opposite reactions to ballista, weirdly enough. I'm used to having at least one creature that can't be hit by company (archangel or redcap) but it's usually easy enough to find an e-wit to get ballista back with. Plus I've had a bunch of games where ballista was played for value. Maybe the number of path to exile at my store scared me off rhonas.