Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

SpacePig posted:

Alright, thanks for the info. Sounds like UYD might not be for me. Gave it a go a few years ago, didn't really like it then, probably still won't like it now.

This week's car boys was fun, and I really enjoyed the sudden appearance of Buzz Lightyear, but they spent all of this time with Ball and never hit it with a regular old car. The Ovo is nice and all, but we all know that it doesn't play nice with other objects. I just wanted to see a car have a good old time with Ball.

https://www.rocketleague.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older
New Touch The Skyrim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia5mApEOxoM

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Noooo they named themselves after a racist British politician :(

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Firos posted:

Noooo they named themselves after a racist British politician :(

Nick Griffinbone is a real person?

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Alaois posted:

i feel like i'm going insane reading this

jonathan larroquette and seth romatelli are not professional anythings and their conversations are 300% more natural than anything that's been said on mbmbam

Sorry, I should have qualified my statements or broke up my thoughts. Tried UYD a few years ago and it did not click at all for me. I was super sure it would because of all the buzz and the fact that the McElroys loved it. I have come to the conclusion however that pretty much anything any of the brothers likes to watch for entertainment, I do not like. This goes doubly for Nick Robinson. I love all the poo poo they make but the stuff they like has never resonated with me.

The professional comedian stuff was actually me thinking about Jonah being in the podcast and the greater MaxFun slate of podcasts which are just rife with comedians who are very funny but lack a certain je ne sais quoi that make it sound genuine.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Captain Internet posted:

Sorry, I should have qualified my statements or broke up my thoughts. Tried UYD a few years ago and it did not click at all for me. I was super sure it would because of all the buzz and the fact that the McElroys loved it. I have come to the conclusion however that pretty much anything any of the brothers likes to watch for entertainment, I do not like. This goes doubly for Nick Robinson. I love all the poo poo they make but the stuff they like has never resonated with me.

The professional comedian stuff was actually me thinking about Jonah being in the podcast and the greater MaxFun slate of podcasts which are just rife with comedians who are very funny but lack a certain je ne sais quoi that make it sound genuine.

okay so I wasn't going insane, you are just insane.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Alaois posted:

okay so I wasn't going insane, you are just insane.

I get that your thing in the thread is that you're the guy that doesn't like most McElroy stuff or even most McElroys, but acting like an rear end in a top hat about other people's opinions is what makes you actually annoying.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

I get that your thing in the thread is that you're the guy that doesn't like most McElroy stuff or even most McElroys, but acting like an rear end in a top hat about other people's opinions is what makes you actually annoying.

Ah, I don't follow the thread super closely as it is usually people close reading a fuckin D&D podcast with three thirty somethings and their Dad. I didn't know this is what this dude did, otherwise I wouldn't have engaged.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Dr. Stab posted:

It's French for "The Rroquette."

e: Actually cool French fact: "Roquette" means both "Rocket" and "Arugula". Makes you think.

Holy poo poo I've never realised that when americans talk about arugula they mean rocket.

This is like when I figured out that eggplant meant aubergine and zuchinni was american for courgette.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Holy poo poo I've never realised that when americans talk about arugula they mean rocket.

This is like when I figured out that eggplant meant aubergine and zuchinni was american for courgette.

Technically arugula and zucchini are Italian for those foods. We just got our word from a different source. Just like we get cilantro from Spanish through Mexico.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nick is talking about Divx discs and they were totally a thing. You'd get them for cheap and could watch them for a couple days then pay like a full DVD price to unlock it and we had a billion of them because we got them for like nothing when the format failed.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Nick is talking about Divx discs and they were totally a thing. You'd get them for cheap and could watch them for a couple days then pay like a full DVD price to unlock it and we had a billion of them because we got them for like nothing when the format failed.

Divx were controlled by some kind of online DRM and had to be played in special players. The "self-destructing" DVDs were something else. Looks like it would have been either Flexplay or DVD-D.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

https://twitter.com/simpsonsfilms/status/859083757025976321

https://twitter.com/simpsonsfilms/status/859082500391538691

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

kmzh posted:

Divx were controlled by some kind of online DRM and had to be played in special players. The "self-destructing" DVDs were something else. Looks like it would have been either Flexplay or DVD-D.

Oh my god, I thought Nick was just exaggerating.

I think the Gamefly ads they do on CGI are my favorite podcast ads, to the point where it took me two episodes to realize it was an actual ad and not just a great new bit they were doing. I had a subscription to a Gamefly like service back when I was like 14 and the only game I remember renting from it was I-Ninja for the PS2.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

The latest episode astounded me, because I also rented Over the Hedge for the Nintendo DS from Gamefly when I was a kid. It sucked.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ariong posted:

The latest episode astounded me, because I also rented Over the Hedge for the Nintendo DS from Gamefly when I was a kid. It sucked.

I feel like I dodged a bullet when it comes to Dreamworks animated stuff.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I was able to get a Game Boy Color game for my 8th birthday. I narrowed down my choices to Pokemon Blue Version or the game boy adaptation of Aardman Animation's 2000 film Chicken Run

i chose poorly

edit: I got Crystal for Christmas so it turned out okay in the end.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 15, 2017

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Speaking of the latest coolgamesinc, here's a rare piece of fanart.

https://twitter.com/itsKitt/status/863484938330492928

Hey, stupid question. If using twitter's inbuilt "Embed Tweet" link doesn't do it, and just linking to the tweet doesn't do it, how the heck do you embed a tweet in a post?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Ariong posted:

Hey, stupid question. If using twitter's inbuilt "Embed Tweet" link doesn't do it, and just linking to the tweet doesn't do it, how the heck do you embed a tweet in a post?

Pasting the tweet's url DOES do it, it just won't show up in preview. Just paste the link.

https://twitter.com/lowtax/status/863636651058372609

If you can't see ^ that tweet or the one that's properly embedded in your post, there's something off with your browser/forums app

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 15, 2017

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Looks like Travis is helping to start up a Podcast Convention this year.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Travis is likely to set a world record for most simultaneous Podcasts hosted at this rate. He's probably a good fit for helping set this thing up.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Hargrimm posted:

quote:

$2,611 USD raised by 34 backers
1% of $300,000 flexible goal

This seems like a really high goal. Are they still going to be able to do it if they get like $50,000? If so, why not set the goal lower, and if not, why use flexible funding? Also, $55 dollars for remote access to the podcasts and whatever boring panels?

quote:

$89
USD
Scholarship
Thanks to you, a local Seattle resident who can't afford the cost of admission to PodCon will be given a free ticket. We'll send you a thank you card signed by the organizers of the event because of how cool that is.

:psyduck:
Hey, you know what poor people really need? Tickets to a podcast convention. I don't want to be negative, and maybe it'll be a huge success, but this whole thing feels profoundly misguided.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hargrimm posted:

Reminds me of Jesse Thorn's failed convention kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/maxfun/make-your-thing

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

da beeper king BABY posted:

I don't want to be negative, and maybe it'll be a huge success, but this whole thing feels profoundly misguided.

It's an extremely strange idea given the number of podcast conventions going already, and the fact that they're just raising money and making ideas now with only 7 months to go. The Chicago podcast fest is in mid november and already has a stacked lineup including a lot of MaxFun shows.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Yeah but this one had luxury tents and Instagram sta-waaait

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, Travis can sometimes be idealistic to a fault and this feels like one of those times.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

The timing seems optimistic but Night Vale and MBMBaM have pretty huge followings so I wouldn't put it past them to be able to get this off the ground.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Hmmm...

quote:

Note that due to the complexity of production both Adventure Zone and Welcome to Night Vale will be having off-site, separately ticketed events.
Weird that the shows that are basically their keynote shows are going to be, ostensibly, an extra charge to see. It also sounds worryingly like the DashCon setup.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

quote:

Confirmed live podcasts include Dear Hank and John, My Brother My Brother and Me, and Alice Isn't Dead.

lol it's $100 USD to see this (so far), and definitely not TAZ or Night Vale because they're explicitly listed as being offsite and separately ticketed. yeah I'm sure this will go well

how much was remote access to LA Podfest? I feel like it was comparable ($25ish) except it was also streamed live and this won't be

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

SpacePig posted:

Hmmm...

Weird that the shows that are basically their keynote shows are going to be, ostensibly, an extra charge to see. It also sounds worryingly like the DashCon setup.

You nailed it, I'm getting strong Dashcon vibes from this.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Travis just gonna run off with all the money and spend it on nail polish.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
New mbmbam, 20 minutes of 50 shades of gray amazing

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Poque posted:

Travis just gonna run off with all the money and spend it on nail polish.

I'm not trying to suggest that this is any sort of scam (save for the fact that it's a flexible funding campaign, meaning they get to keep the money even if the project doesn't get funded). I'm more say that, even if you take the DashCon folks at their word, it was a convention set up by people woefully inexperienced in setting up conventions and just as woefully optimistic about the demand for such a thing.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

SpacePig posted:

I'm not trying to suggest that this is any sort of scam (save for the fact that it's a flexible funding campaign, meaning they get to keep the money even if the project doesn't get funded). I'm more say that, even if you take the DashCon folks at their word, it was a convention set up by people woefully inexperienced in setting up conventions and just as woefully optimistic about the demand for such a thing.

Oh I wasn't trying to make any actual commentary. I agree with your entire post here.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Travis gonna Travis

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

What stretch goal do we need to hit to get a ball pit?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

One of the guys runs a YouTuber? convention that according to Wikipedia gets 25k+ people so who knows

Having two of the biggest draws not actually be a part of the convention seems insane though

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
It's probably Night Vale taking lessons from DashCon, to be honest. Keep all the finances separate means less risk to them in terms of getting their fee upfront, or at least means that they're working with people more likely to be "good for the money" after the show.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/864240743321174016

God dammit, Nintendo. Stop teasing Patrick.

Also, never read the replies to any Nintendo tweet because there's always at least one person pestering the social media manager who has no power about Mother 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Nintendo is ruthless