Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Mo Money sounds tedious enough to deal with in the first place and I feel like something like horror seeds would speed up people burning out. Like I would just be like alright I'm done you can have fun playing with yourself and walk away but then again I have the fortitude of a baby

Honestly my reaction to the horror seed fight was basically 'oh, actually this owns' because I realized that it turns my vampires into amazing suicide bombers. It is EVEN BETTER because when they bust out they end up laying siege to forts creating a far more deadly layer of horror PD. 'Don't they stop you recruiting?' 'ya but that is the vampire fort we make our own troops' 'and traveling out?' 'everything coming out of vampire fort is stealth flying who fukken cares'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Do immortal vampires retain their seed after they die? If yes, I see potential.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Ramc posted:

Honestly my reaction to the horror seed fight was basically 'oh, actually this owns' because I realized that it turns my vampires into amazing suicide bombers. It is EVEN BETTER because when they bust out they end up laying siege to forts creating a far more deadly layer of horror PD. 'Don't they stop you recruiting?' 'ya but that is the vampire fort we make our own troops' 'and traveling out?' 'everything coming out of vampire fort is stealth flying who fukken cares'

I figured that anybody who paid the slightest bit of attention to the battle would clue in on the Horror Seeding, so I'm glad to see I wasn't wrong. I'm disappointed to see that you weren't trembling in fear of my ultimate, terrible power :v:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Eagerly awaiting horror seeding your own vampire army entering the standard Dominions meta.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Eagerly awaiting horror seeding your own vampire army entering the standard Dominions meta.

To be honest, that battle made it seem like it'd be a decent niche tactic for Bogarus to do it to themselves. The vampires don't actually die, so he's not actually even paying anything (except spell cost). I wonder whether the vampires would have gotten torched before they killed the mages on their own?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Asehujiko posted:

What happens if a Horror Seeded unit gets killed outside of battle? Like if an event or a spell kills the unit? Does the Horror still burst out and attack the province?

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Asehujiko posted:

The Horror Marks never go away, but I think the seed might.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Gettin real deja vu here. In my current game, ~someone~ is horror seeding me and also has an S8 mass enslave casting golem with armor of virtue.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
So did those greater horrors persist after the battle?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
They should have, if I'm reading things right, since they were the last to hold the field and were created from horror seeding.

Also, I suspect that once an immortal unit dies and unleashes its horror, all that's left are the horror marks, but I wouldn't put it past Dominions to have a durable Horror Seed effect. However, I also wouldn't be surprised if the situation hasn't come up much and no one knows for sure yet, so this game could see some horror science being done.

Aren't horror seeded units supposed to start horror marking other units in their province over time and transforming them into horrors? You'd figure there should be some truly heinous levels of horror marks going around with all the seeds that have been planted over so many turns, but it doesn't look all that visible yet.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress, that's where those bastards came from! For some reason I always forget how horror seeding works exactly, instead I just assumed some of the units in that battle had enough horror marks to summon horrors into it.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
That was really fukken cool.

Horror seed owns.

I can't wait to see what it is doing to pangaea.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Tagichatn posted:

Gettin real deja vu here. In my current game, ~someone~ is horror seeding me and also has an S8 mass enslave casting golem with armor of virtue.

I am only doing one of those things.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 92

Turn 92 begins with another global message from Bogarus:

We’re still waiting to see how he makes good on these threats. Could he be casting a huge Purgatory global? Maybe he’ll break siege with hellpower communions? Maybe it’ll be a giant Infernal Forces global? We wait with bated breath to find out!

We finally maxxed out our research in Thaumaturgy, hitting level 9:

Now we can cast Master Enslave ourselves, something we may try using against Pangaea when that war finally kicks off.

Speaking of Pangaea, here’s a message we received after casting Horror Seed this turn:

Looks like that Celestial Rainbow is working after all. I’m not sure if it needed a few turns to kick in or what, but now we must assume that Pan’s provinces are at least partially shielded from spells. We’re teleporting the 4 Horror Seed casters back to the West so they can return to Seeding-up Bogarus. I know that we got at least a handful of Seeds successfully into Pangaea’s capitol, and those will multiply over time.

There weren’t any pitched battles this turn. Our armies marched into Bogarus’ provinces of Boggiton and Zeburia, smashing the local province defense and putting the forts to siege:

We've accumulated quite the menagerie of exotic commanders and mages.

Last turn we sent a scout into The Cracked Earth to see what defenses lie inside:

What a brave little idiot.

And here’s what we found:

Hooray, the Golem is here, and it looks like it has become slightly more Insane over the past however-many turns since we last saw it:

Insane (3)

One of the Astrapelagists is carrying a Staff of Storms, an item that creates a Storm on the battlefield and inhibits flying for creatures that are not Immune to Storms.

Having Storm active on round 1 is supremely useful.

Basically, it means our Vampires won’t be able to fly straight up over the walls, they’ll instead have to march across the field. This looks like a really un-fun nut to crack, and that Golem will almost certainly hurt us pretty badly since it will get Master Enslave off on round 1. However, I did notice this:

These are very sad bird-men.

Starvation confers a -4 Morale penalty (!) in addition to other stat maluses.

Just about all of the chaff defending the fort is starving, diseased, and dying. The troops inside are clearly out of supplies, and we’ve had Pazuzu (who has a disease spreading affect) sieging the fort for several turns. I think I am content to let this fort sit for a little while longer. We’ll allow the chaff inside to die off, heck maybe we’ll even get some of the mages diseased as well. If Bogarus keeps his Golem inside The Cracked Earth, anticipating our breech, then it won’t be causing trouble anywhere else!

We also have four other forts under siege, we’ll continue to make progress while the defenders of The Cracked Earth sit and stew.

We've made real progress. Look, we've almost penetrated Bogarus' cap-circle!

Finally, we scouted Caelum storming Bogarus’ fort in Grey Barrier:

This is one of the provinces where Bogarus’ Golem stole a poo poo-load of Caelan troops during a previous attempt. No Golem = Caelum victory, and right now Caelum victory = victory for us.

We’re tightening the noose.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

How are u posted:

Basically, it means our Vampires won’t be able to fly straight up over the walls, they’ll instead have to march across the field. This looks like a really un-fun nut to crack, and that Golem will almost certainly hurt us pretty badly since it will get Master Enslave off on round 1. However, I did notice this:

These are very sad bird-men.

Starvation confers a -4 Morale penalty (!) in addition to other stat maluses.

Just about all of the chaff defending the fort is starving, diseased, and dying. The troops inside are clearly out of supplies, and we’ve had Pazuzu (who has a disease spreading affect) sieging the fort for several turns. I think I am content to let this fort sit for a little while longer. We’ll allow the chaff inside to die off, heck maybe we’ll even get some of the mages diseased as well. If Bogarus keeps his Golem inside The Cracked Earth, anticipating our breech, then it won’t be causing trouble anywhere else!

"If the enemy has an impregnable stronghold, see he stays there."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hello Sailor posted:

"If the enemy has an impregnable stronghold, see he stays there."

when your enemy has a bad army and is distracted and you are behind him and he doesn't know you are there and you have a really good army, then is the time to strike

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

As someone who has actually read the Art of War, these aren't in it. But he gets the gist of it.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Haha. I thought Art of War was pretty cool when I read it, but it was also disappointing because of the reasons in your link. Caesar's The Civil War was also kinda eye-rolly. Guy just brags about himself the entire time.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Turns out that if you write a book, you get to say all sorts of self-aggrandizing poo poo. :v:

I can still appreciate The Art of War for being a fairly early treatise on war doctrine and strategy, but uh, that link is pretty awesome, and so many of those quotes feel...unreasonably relevant to Dominions strategy.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

Flavius Belisarius posted:

Haha. I thought Art of War was pretty cool when I read it, but it was also disappointing because of the reasons in your link. Caesar's The Civil War was also kinda eye-rolly. Guy just brags about himself the entire time.

That was the point of writing the book. To brag about how awesome he is and why everyone should love and support his military campaigns. They weren't as eye rolling obvious as sun Tzu though. Who is pretty obvious but you would be surprised how basic some people need instructions to start.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Cimbri posted:

As someone who has actually read the Art of War, these aren't in it. But he gets the gist of it.

The Dominions 4 IRC is basically a Three Kingdoms book club.

Also this was not a great turn, no. The problem with an master enslave golem is he can't be everywhere at once.

As for what I am going to cast well ho ho ho man that is going to be a story.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Eh, I think keeping the initiative is more important in Dominions than anything Sun Tzu emphasizes.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Corbeau posted:

Eh, I think keeping the initiative is more important in Dominions than anything Sun Tzu emphasizes.

If you have a fort that is empty save for a single commander being sieged down, change his name to Zhuge Liang. When the enemy pings the fort and sees that, they will go 'ha ha nice try shitlord im not falling for it' and lift the siege.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Ramc posted:

If you have a fort that is empty save for a single commander being sieged down, change his name to Zhuge Liang. When the enemy pings the fort and sees that, they will go 'ha ha nice try shitlord im not falling for it' and lift the siege.

also have that one commander be a turn 1 master enslave golem

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Ramc posted:

Then you can do it again but have a bunch of hidden vampires

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Haha I love those tweets.

"To be good at war, be the one in charge. That way, nobody can give you orders that will cause you to lose."

"When you march against the enemy, have faster, better fed troops with plenty of horses. When the enemy marches against you, he should have slower, starving troops with no horses."

"Try not to be the General of the weaker side. The stronger side will usually win." -- Sun Tzu

"Do not do what your enemy expects you to do. Except, uhhh, except if he expects you to defeat him, you should still do that."

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 93

Turn 93 begins with a message from Bogarus:

:words:

Well…that’s some unhinged poo poo alright. I think Ramc’s roleplaying is going completely insane or something awful ( :v: ) like that.

We advanced to level 8 in Evocation, gaining access to some spells we’ll probably never use. We’re very close to maxxing out every school of magic, and there are no goals left to pursue.

Last turn I set one of our Earth empowered Vampire Lords to start casting the Blood 8 spell Infernal Crusade. If you pump up the Blood levels you can get a seriously good return for your investment with scaling spells. Infernal Crusade gives you Demon Knights:

Some of the very best cavalry in the game. These guys are solid.

They’re tough, brave, have 3 attacks, and most importantly they have Fear. We’ll summon a bunch for fun and probably use them when we go to war with Pangaea.

There were only two battle reports this turn, both ours, and both fort pings. We sent another scout into The Cracked Earth to keep an eye on what’s going on in there:

Looks like Bogarus’ Golem is still hanging out, and it also seems that a good portion of the Diseased, Starving chaff has died. A few more turns and I think most of it will be gone, and we’ll be in a better position to storm the fort.

We also pinged the fort in Wise Spring Grove:

Not a very scary defense.

A pretty standard defensive force. Some chaff, some Astrapelagists. As long as there’s no Golem this fort should fall easily enough.

We’ve successfully cracked the forts in Zeburia and Boggiton, so we’ll ping them this turn and see what’s waiting inside. We’ve also cracked the fort in Utevania, but instead of a scout we’ll send 5 Vampire Lords and some assorted chaff. Maybe we’ll get lucky and win, maybe we’ll just kill some defenders. Either way is fine for me.

The greater Bogarussian front.

Let's crack this nut!

Caelum has a giant death ball of an army sitting on our border in the South East. I wonder if he’s just keeping it there for insurance, or whether he’s going to deploy it against Pangaea or us. I’m moving a big contingent of Devils and Imps down to Old Man Mountains to shore up those defenses, regardless.

When people refer to "doom-stacks", this is what they mean.

That’s pretty much it for the turn, but there are a couple of meta-game things that should be addressed. Firstly, Pangaea staled the turn again. I’m beginning to think it might be time to launch an all-out invasion of the beast men. If Afrosquirrel’s head isn’t in the game I think we may have a better than even shot at winning. Something to consider in the short term.

Secondly, we’ve had our first technical difficulty occur with the game. The server that runs this game kept crashing every time it tried to execute the new game turn. The first Mo Money game had similar issues towards the end, issues that are often the result of the Dominions 4 game engine being unable to cope with the hugely inflated number of units in a game of this size. Since Bogarus / Ramc had been threatening some game-changing move for a few turns now my first hunch was that the problem stemmed from him. Well, I was right. Ramc had tried to Wish for Armageddon.

Armageddon is just one of a multitude of things that you can Wish for, but it is perhaps the single most infamous of Wishes. When you Wish for Armageddon several things happen. First, 20% of the population of every province in the world dies. Second, every unit in the world has a 20% chance of being hit with 15 Armor Negating damage. That’ll kill just about any Human or demi-human (elf, pale one, Atlantean, etc). It is a nasty loving piece of work, and classically it has been used as the ultimate way to shut down end-game Blood nations. I’m pretty sure that the game engine is proving unable to handle trying to calculate the effects of Armageddon for the thousands and thousands of units existent in this game. After several days of restarting the server and trial-and-erroring, Ramc agreed to not Wish for Armageddon, and the game successfully turned.

We’re now entering a very curious stage of the meta-game where certain strategies and spells may have to be discarded, because if they’re used they’ll break the game. On the one hand that sucks, but on the other I would really like to, you know, finish the game! We’ll persevere together!

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Gath: Too Big To Fail

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

There is something absolutely beautiful about Armageddon failing because it would break the game.

"Oh Great Ones, bring forth your divine judgement and lay waste to this realm!"
"We cannot."
"Wha-but why!?"
"There are far too many targets. We literally do not have enough strength to target all of them."
"B-But-"
"Farewell, mortal."

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Dr. Snark posted:

There is something absolutely beautiful about Armageddon failing because it would break the game.

"We cannot."
"Wha-but why!?"
"There are far too many targets. We literally do not have enough strength to target all of them."
"B-But-"
"Farewell, mortal."

See, I picture it more like...

"Mmmmm.... nah."
"....wait, what?"
"Have you seen how many people there are in the world? And not just them but also the horrifying misshapen beasts and undead and demons and poo poo?"
"Well... well yeah, that's why I want them to all go away."
"Not gonna happen. Too much stuff. That's way too much work."
"But... but Astral Pearls!"
"Yeah, they're sweet and all, but honestly, I can't be bothered."
"But it's the rules!"
"The rules also have a suspiciously non-random RNG, pal, I don't know what to tell you. Dealing with this kind of crap is half the reason the old Pantokrator hosed off to Oblivion. Anyway, good luck with the vampire hordes."
"....man, divine beings suck."

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Dr. Snark posted:

"We cannot."
"Wha-but why!?"
"B-But-"
"Farewell, mortal."

This seems like a scenario that would be an entirely appropriate fit for the world of Dominions.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

How are u posted:

Armagedd-no

Honestly, this is both sad (because Ramc's final gently caress you to the world would have been hilarious) and really, really funny. Ramc, who is as I understand it a very very good Dominions player, got screwed over by the meta-game of server capability. I love this. I love this LP.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 27 minutes!
This would probably make me rage quit. From different games I am used to diplomacy being the strongest weapon, but not being able to deal with enemies having too much poo poo because the engine is unable to deal with that much poo poo is :argh:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Xarn posted:

This would probably make me rage quit. From different games I am used to diplomacy being the strongest weapon, but not being able to deal with enemies having too much poo poo because the engine is unable to deal with that much poo poo is :argh:

If you're playing Dom4-multiplayer for long enough, you just get numb to this kind of thing. A game crashing forever and a game being put on hold indefinitely until no-one cares anymore are the two great killers of Dom4-games.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Is Ramc rping as a sovereign citizen?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation
Also I decided to finally actually try domnions instead of reading about it and... goddamn the UI is bad. Also probably doesn't quite work windowed, regularly I couldn't select single commander in a province, either all of them or none.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It works just fine windowed, you just touched at some point a modifier key while clicking and it did its job the game never told you about.

Pressing "?" while in a screen or on the map will give you a lit of available hotkeys.

General Dire
Apr 24, 2008
Here's hoping Ramc can pull something else out of his sleeve.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Probation

SIGSEGV posted:

It works just fine windowed, you just touched at some point a modifier key while clicking and it did its job the game never told you about.

Pressing "?" while in a screen or on the map will give you a lit of available hotkeys.

I'd kinda expect that once I stop pressing modifier keys, they stop... modifying the presses (yes, I found out that I can group by shift, I ran into problem breaking the groups) :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Xarn posted:

I'd kinda expect that once I stop pressing modifier keys, they stop... modifying the presses (yes, I found out that I can group by shift, I ran into problem breaking the groups) :shrug:

After you've selected a group of commanders, you can de-select individual commanders from the group by control-clicking them again. You can then select the commander you just "removed from the group" and that one commander will no longer be in the group.

Note that you can also select-group commanders with shift-click, which selects a range from the one currently selected through to the one you shift-clicked, and all between. Similar to working with shift and control clicking to select ranges of text, or multiple objects in a Windows folder.

Similar, but not quite the same, because Illwinter.

• Locked thread